• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

albrecht

Quote from: Étouffée on July 15, 2017, 11:35:19 PM
He said he was 21 at the time, so 73 now. 
I think the Springfield Science Museum was in fact a Children's Museum.  Hoagie controls the narrative of his history so well, that it's hard to really find out his complete background.  I still don't understand how he made a living for 50 years.

Yeah, he's old, but he's still got the juice.
Pretty good, grafting career. Seriously. Gypsies, Travellers, and Tinkers had so much more hardship in scams (and persecution,  or worse)  but RCH abides...

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on July 16, 2017, 12:24:27 AM
Pretty good, grafting career. Seriously. Gypsies, Travellers, and Tinkers had so much more hardship in scams (and persecution,  or worse)  but RCH abides...

Thought it was gypsies tramps and thieves.

astroguy

Quote from: Gd5150 on July 16, 2017, 12:04:00 AM
The image of the planet Mars is screwed up. Olympus Mons looks like a crater not a volcano. The light and shadows are not correct. They don't match the direction of of light hitting the planet. Weird.

Common problem in any digital terrain model rendering, or how you present data in a paper.  Sun should be coming from 315°, such that highlights are NW and shadows are SE for maximum understanding by the most people.

astroguy

Quote from: GravitySucks on July 16, 2017, 12:25:33 AM
I was literally just listening to some Cher during the break.  ;D

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on July 16, 2017, 12:25:33 AM
I respect the scammers, and sometimes folks who can sharpen some knives etc, their due. In scamming and maintaining a culture.

Gd5150

Quote from: astroguy on July 16, 2017, 12:25:36 AM
Common problem in any digital terrain model rendering, or how you present data in a paper.  Sun should be coming from 315°, such that highlights are NW and shadows are SE for maximum understanding by the most people.

Here's what it should look like.

Quote from: albrecht on July 16, 2017, 12:28:16 AM
I respect the scammers, and sometimes folks who can sharpen some knives etc, their due. In scamming and maintaining a culture.
Bury Me Standing, (1995) by Isabel Fonseca; great book on the Roma.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Étouffée on July 16, 2017, 12:37:18 AM

Thinner by Stephen King freaked me out.

TigerLily

Quote from: astroguy on July 16, 2017, 12:26:02 AM

On purpose?

btw loved your series of podcasts on Hale Bop. Listened to it several times. Hope that makes up for the snark

albrecht

Quote from: astroguy on July 16, 2017, 12:26:02 AM
Literally listening? I would like to see (see what I did here) how that is done. Some unauthorized use of govt equipment? Sort of like those old plasma-like screens in the hippie scene? LSD. I can hear colors? Kidding. But you should he more PRECISE. Especially here.

how sad, this is a man who once actually did know NASA scientists, Cronkite, Sagan, legendary sci-fi writers and here he is talking to some loser rendering models of Mars with cracked 3D software 'wow, look at that, it's a pump.'

albrecht

Quote from: Étouffée on July 16, 2017, 12:37:18 AM
I.will look that up. A decade or so ago here in TX there was a crazy Romeo-Juliet event between rival Gypsy tribes. Also a Gypsy King who died in Spokane.

Quote from: GravitySucks on July 16, 2017, 12:39:04 AM
Thinner by Stephen King freaked me out.
So, Stephen King's a gypsy? 
He has those dark eyes...just like CHER!!

astroguy

Quote from: TigerLily on July 16, 2017, 12:41:25 AM
On purpose?

btw loved your series of podcasts on Hale Bop. Listened to it several times. Hope that makes up for the snark
Thanks.

astroguy

Every time Keith breathes, I think he's going to have a heart attack.

TigerLily

Quote from: Étouffée on July 16, 2017, 12:46:50 AM

There are no such things as coinshedenshes

GravitySucks

Quote from: Étouffée on July 16, 2017, 12:46:50 AM

No. The plot of the book is about a gypsy curse.

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on July 16, 2017, 12:46:38 AM
how sad, this is a man who once actually did know NASA scientists, Cronkite, Sagan, legendary sci-fi writers and here he is talking to some loser rendering models of Mars with cracked 3D software 'wow, look at that, it's a pump.'
I don't see it that way.  I think Hoagie's having fun. 
Art Bell may be sad, but Hoagie is not.

albrecht

Pre-seizing?  Hope doggie gets.better or decision made. How did she get home from FLA?

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on July 16, 2017, 12:52:07 AM
No. The plot of the book is about a gypsy curse.
So, he killed John Lennon but he WASN'T a gypsy? Darn, I need to tell some Croats that they did the wrong reprisals.

=Schlyder=

fucking ignorant to let an animal suffer, because you can't deal with it.  Fucking prayer isn't doing a thing idiots.

WOTR

Quote from: =Schlyder= on July 16, 2017, 12:56:05 AM
holy fuck ...just put the dog down already.
Ha... I missed the fact it was a dog.  Fine- spread whatever cream you want on the animal- I'm sure that "doctor" Robin will discover a new cure for cancer any day now.  ::)

albrecht

"Geez" as Norry says. A.cliffhanger using your dog? Ugh.

I made this mistake keeping my dog alive too long when it was obvious she was suffering and wasn't going to get any better. Hoagie says 'if she wants to go that's ok' - uh, she's sick it has nothing to do with the dog wanting to stick around or 'move on'. dogs don't even know there's a choice, all they know is they are suffering.  :(

Quote from: CronkitesGhost on July 16, 2017, 01:11:35 AM
...she's sick it has nothing to do with the dog wanting to stick around or 'move on'. dogs don't even know there's a choice, all they know is they are suffering.  :(
I think you're absolutely right.
It's just so tough to do that final act of kindness for the animal. 

TigerLily

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 16, 2017, 08:57:43 AM
Damn! I fell asleep and missed another one.  ::)

Just more archologies. Nothing special until the poor dog. Time to do a kindness and put the poor thing down. And maybe the owners too

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on July 16, 2017, 10:34:59 AM
Just more archologies. Nothing special until the poor dog. Time to do a kindness and put the poor thing down. And maybe the owners too

Is he on again tonight?