• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I'm done criticizing Heather.

Started by Auslandia, January 09, 2016, 11:23:23 AM

Ciardelo

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on January 09, 2016, 03:46:54 PM
Think of me as a mirror. If you're going to try to shit negativity everywhere for fun, then I'm going to shit negativity towards you so that it's not fun. I thought that's what you Falkie thread folks mindlessly enjoy.
Yup--They really don't know any other way to act. Isn't it so fun?

GravitySucks

Quote from: pyewacket on January 09, 2016, 03:50:35 PM
This is one of the reasons I admire you guys. A group of you can be fighting and insulting each other for pages and then, when the dust settles, you're willing to drink together as if nothing happened. Women, on the other hand, will plot revenge forever. Cheers guys- knock yourselves out but don't overdo the drunken fighting. :)

Yep. Women love you until one day they don't. End of discussion.

Men have a part of the brain that tells us when to get out of a discussion. We use that same part to tell us when to get out of a store and that it is time to get out of the bathroom.

ItsOver

Quote from: pyewacket on January 09, 2016, 03:50:35 PM
This is one of the reasons I admire you guys. A group of you can be fighting and insulting each other for pages and then, when the dust settles, you're willing to drink together as if nothing happened. Women, on the other hand, will plot revenge forever. Cheers guys- knock yourselves out but don't overdo the drunken fighting. :)
Ha!  That would be a thread that could go on forever.  Don't mess with the women folk.  ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: trostol on January 09, 2016, 03:21:39 PM
so..he's....the hamburgler?
Time for another Ziznak Noory original.  Ziznak, where are yeeewww?

ACE of CLUBS

Think of me as a mirror. If you're going to try to shit negativity everywhere for fun, then I'm going to shit negativity towards you so that it's not fun. I thought that's what you Falkie thread folks mindlessly enjoy.

Why are you here ?
Messiah Complex ?
Is your 'Thick Skin Kit' on backorder ?

You do make me laugh, I'll give you that.

Is now a good time to point out that if it hadn't been for the Oates interview you'd still be defending George Noory?  Asked whether or not you think he sucks as a radio host, you didn't respond except to say he's off your radar. 

Ok, I get that, you are in the entertainment industry and don't wish to go on record.  But wouldn't that hold true for commenting negatively on Art Bell as well?

Robert

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 09, 2016, 01:20:24 PMDon't take this as being patronising to you because you haven't been here long, that isn't the intention; The vast majority of what is said to each other is tongue in cheek. Some is abrasive if there's some full on shit going on...rarely it really gets nasty but just as quickly it blows over. The Falkie thread is slightly different but that's not the topic. I have arguments with many (as do others), and with very few exceptions, I'd buy them all a beer and chew the fat if they were up for it.
True.  The culture of the forum needs to be taken acc't of.  We're used to it like this.

WFMU's comment boards by contrast have a "home cooking" atmosphere, justified by the fact that the on-air personalities are all doing it as volunteers (although 2-3 of them also have paid jobs at the station), and several of them are or have been pros in the biz, so it's not like they're up-&-comers who could use a raking over the coals to improve their approach.  Plus, well, since the board's provided by WFMU itself, rather than independently as here & elsewhere, there's bound to be a homer leaning.

I will add, however, that there seems to be a problem w the gener'n younger than mine, or maybe the 2nd gener'n younger: fragile egos, ready to interpret any criticism as "hate".  I noticed it when I taught; they didn't take kindly to being corrected or graded in class.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Auslandia on January 09, 2016, 11:23:23 AM
Any criticism I've ever launched was mostly due to comparing her to Art or being mad at Art which isn't fair.  I can't believe I allowed myself to get wrapped up in the fervor.  Heather-- sorry for whatever it's worth.  Carry on & have fun with the show. 

I come from the opposite position but wind up in the same place.  I wouldn't want Art to do the show unwillingly, so his reasons for quitting aren't important.  I'm disappointed, but not mad at him.

As tedious as I found Heather's vocal vamping, she's either toning it down or I've grown used to it.  As much as I wish she'd relax and show a flash or two of wit, I can hope that comes with time and comfort in the chair.

Ultimately I'm just grateful for something that fills the Art-space so I don't have to go back to Dave or spend a lot of time looking for something else every night.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 09, 2016, 03:22:00 PM
I think he figured out early on that - once again - he liked the idea of doing another show more than the grind of actually doing one.  And his family wasn't happy with him being out in the studio every evening plus whatever time the show prep was taking

Not saying he planned to quit from early on, only that he set up a plausible out for down the road if he needed it, he's been through this before.
Many have shifted the blame for Bell's quitting to Mrs Bell.  Considering his cultural proclivities when courting, his wives' upbringing, and a likely ironclad prenup, it's not bloody likely.  But makes a good cop-out for Bell's die-hards.

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert on January 09, 2016, 04:02:40 PM

...I will add, however, that there seems to be a problem w the gener'n younger than mine, or maybe the 2nd gener'n younger: fragile egos, ready to interpret any criticism as "hate".  I noticed it when I taught; they didn't take kindly to being corrected or graded in class.
Everybody is a "hater" in the world of simpletons.

pyewacket

All I'm asking for is a 30 second head start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scgO8Vfh1qU

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 09, 2016, 04:07:57 PM
Many have shifted the blame for Bell's quitting to Mrs Bell.  Considering his cultural proclivities when courting, his wives' upbringing, and a likely ironclad prenup, it's not bloody likely.  But makes a good cop-out for Bell's die-hards.

Unless Keith negotiated the pre-nup.

Robert

Quote from: chefist on January 09, 2016, 03:13:45 PMI've listened to George Noory a few times over the years, but just didn't like him as a radio personality or talk show host.  However, he shows up to work and is not a flake...he has that going for him at least...
True.  Plus he's willing to shuttle between St. Louis & Los Angeles (I don't know why they do that), and he's got a great voice.
Quotethat shows you in life that consistency can be more valuable than unpredictable quality...any successful restaurant can tell you that...
But didn't his flop, as most do?

Quote from: Robert on January 09, 2016, 04:14:20 PM
True.  Plus he's willing to shuttle between St. Louis & Los Angeles (I don't know why they do that), and he's got a great voice.But didn't his flop, as most do?

He chooses to do that. He is waiting to get "discovered" in LA like the schmuck that he is. He could do the show from St Louis all the time if he wanted to, but he thinks that he's Hollywood.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 09, 2016, 04:01:46 PM
You do make me laugh, I'll give you that.

Is now a good time to point out that if it hadn't been for the Oates interview you'd still be defending George Noory?  Asked whether or not you think he sucks as a radio host, you didn't respond except to say he's off your radar. 

Ok, I get that, you are in the entertainment industry and don't wish to go on record.  But wouldn't that hold true for commenting negatively on Art Bell as well?

I would say no, I would not be defending Noory. After Oates, I think he's shown himself to be a corporate hack surrounded by some not so nice people trying to milk as much money from his public personality while they all can. As far as off my radar, he is, I don't listen to him anymore. As far as if he's any good or not, I would characterize him as bland and unengaged and, at my last listening, needs to up his game.

I'll criticize Art openly for making a series of ill-thought through, impulsive decisions. That's fair game, he did that in front of everyone. But this business of it being some convoluted plot to retire is silly, there's just no reason to suspect that unless, for whatever reason, you want to talk yourself into a conspiracy theory.

Robert

Quote from: onan on January 09, 2016, 03:34:46 PMYeah, one coach is fine. This is the coach being mobbed by 250 delusional parents.
Not comparable, because the parents' delusion is that the player is better than the coach thinks, & the show would have to have about 125 emcees for the ratio to make sense.

Robert

Quote from: ItsOver on January 09, 2016, 03:39:15 PMHeh.  "What the *&$@! Is that prima donna QB faking ANOTHER injury!  Why is SHE in the game?  Why isn't my lovely MV being put in the game!"
That analogy's more like it!

Ciardelo

Quote from: Robert on January 09, 2016, 04:22:19 PM
Something.
Or nothing. How's the mentoring going? Have you noticed how much better the Artic Changa lady has been since I starting posting she should be doing this...and not that...? This mentoring stuff is fun!

Robert

Darn, I wish we could branch the threads here.  At least we can alter the subject line as you did.  My experience on other "unthreaded" (non-branching, really) discussion boards w trying to quote & start a new thread is that when there's a lot of traffic, it's very hard to get the particip'n I want in the new thread, so...
Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on January 09, 2016, 04:19:58 PMHe chooses to do that. He is waiting to get "discovered" in LA like the schmuck that he is. He could do the show from St Louis all the time if he wanted to, but he thinks that he's Hollywood.
This is serious info?  How do you know it?  Is he some kind of nuts, or is there a rationale to this?  I can understand why he's on the lecture & autograph circuit, but hanging out in LA as a career move??

onan

Quote from: Robert on January 09, 2016, 04:26:03 PM
Not comparable, because the parents' delusion is that the player is better than the coach thinks, & the show would have to have about 125 emcees for the ratio to make sense.

You're showing your bias. I made the analogy of 250 complainers thinking they had a better choice then Heather. Whether that is true or not isn't the comparison. Art placed Heather in the chair. Every bug from every crack in the outhouse came forward to lambaste Heather.

Robert

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 09, 2016, 04:28:22 PMOr nothing. How's the mentoring going? Have you noticed how much better the Artic Changa lady has been since I starting posting she should be doing this...and not that...? This mentoring stuff is fun!
Ms. Wade is improving somehow.  I don't know where the feedback is coming from, but  it seems like more than coincidence that she's getting better.  Maybe Art's coaching her.

Quote from: Robert on January 09, 2016, 04:39:57 PM
Darn, I wish we could branch the threads here.  At least we can alter the subject line as you did.  My experience on other "unthreaded" (non-branching, really) discussion boards w trying to quote & start a new thread is that when there's a lot of traffic, it's very hard to get the particip'n I want in the new thread, so...This is serious info?  How do you know it?  Is he some kind of nuts, or is there a rationale to this?  I can understand why he's on the lecture & autograph circuit, but hanging out in LA as a career move??

Early on, Art criticized Noory for doing the show from LA because Noory was turning it into something that he didn't want. Noory often has had Hollywood types on the show that had nothing to do with the paranormal. He talks about being in movies and having his own talk show. He thinks that sad charade that he does in Colorado is a "talk show". His father had said something like someone on TV is someone who has made it in life. Noory is still desperately trying to please daddy dearest, even though his father died years ago.

chefist

Quote from: ItsOver on January 09, 2016, 03:58:14 PM
Time for another Ziznak Noory original.  Ziznak, where are yeeewww?

he he...never saw that one... ;D

Robert

Quote from: onan on January 09, 2016, 04:42:02 PMYou're showing your bias. I made the analogy of 250 complainers thinking they had a better choice then Heather. Whether that is true or not isn't the comparison. Art placed Heather in the chair. Every bug from every crack in the outhouse came forward to lambaste Heather.
But I don't see 250 names being put forward here as replacements.