• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Nighthawk on November 06, 2013, 01:31:12 AM
I am beginning to become quite disgusted with this forum. I can't believe some of the people posting here believing themselves to be true Bell fans. Then all of a sudden when this situation happened yesterday they turn against him in some very mean awful ways. I can understand people being angry. It is just that if you truly loved Art like I do, Then you would not say such awful things about him. Regardless of how angry you people are. YOU are the ones that need to grow up. First you are on here saying how great Art is and how happy you are he is back and now since yesterday you turn on him like dogs. At first reading all this shit on here the past 2 days I thought it was these mean peoples emotions and anger. Now I am starting to think they are just plain evil. I am embarrassed to be a part of this. I love Art and always will. He is the king of talk radio. He is an inspiration to me all he has done. Something went wrong this time around, so what. I am not gunna up and slaughter the guy.

+1

widespread1

I am beginning to become quite disgusted with this forum. I can't believe some of the people posting here believing themselves to be true Bell fans. Then all of a sudden when this situation happened yesterday they turn against him in some very mean awful ways. I can understand people being angry. It is just that if you truly loved Art like I do, Then you would not say such awful things about him. Regardless of how angry you people are. YOU are the ones that need to grow up. First you are on here saying how great Art is and how happy you are he is back and now since yesterday you turn on him like dogs. At first reading all this shit on here the past 2 days I thought it was these mean peoples emotions and anger. Now I am starting to think they are just plain evil. I am embarrassed to be a part of this. I love Art and always will. He is the king of talk radio. He is an inspiration to me all he has done. Something went wrong this time around, so what. I am not gunna up and slaughter the guy.
I agree completely

Nighthawk

Quote from: George Drooly on November 06, 2013, 01:33:55 AM
He's a multi-millionaire public figure behaving poorly, if predictably. This is a public forum. It's a simple equation.

Your wrong. Art is one of the few public figures that is real and down to earth. I know this because I have spoken with him over radio many times. The way you hear him on broadcast radio is exactly the way he is in real life. He is the real deal. Not your average fake public figure.

Heather Wade

Thanks, Nighthawk.  I'll second that.

Quote from: spruce tree on November 06, 2013, 01:28:21 AM
I did pay. I take no offense, don't worry about it. I think I am as guilty as anyone for looking for a scapegoat in all of this. I've been wanting to comment on here for a long time about something, it just sucks that this topic is what got me going again. It's laughable that Art would pay so much attention to what is being said here, but I do agree that there has to be something bigger going on. Sorry to get off on the wrong foot with ya. I am a passivist by nature, and don't know who to pick a fight with right now, I just want to fight!!!!!

Yeah, I thought you said you were streaming the show and not paying for it. My mistake and apologies. I also hate fighting but there's a lot to be passionate and angry about nowadays.

Honestly I don't really know what to make of the last post Art put up. He is an internet pioneer and must have seen much during his off-time. And I have a hard time believing he had not seen the Noory Sucks thread where much worse and more offensive material is thrown around regularly. I guess I expected Art to raise the Jolly Roger and start slitting throats like back in the old days. Which would basically mean slapping that stupid crown off of Jorch and getting back to broadcasting.

I really hope that's a possibility because I already miss the show terribly. The live threads were good times and a lot of fun.

George Drooly

Pity the millionaire who doesn't get his way. >sniff<

George Drooly

Quote from: Nighthawk on November 06, 2013, 01:37:10 AM
Your wrong. Art is one of the few public figures that is real and down to earth. I know this because I have spoken with him over radio many times. The way you hear him on broadcast radio is exactly the way he is in real life. He is the real deal. Not your average fake public figure.

I didn't say he was fake

tertiaryimam

First you are on here saying how great Art is and how happy you are he is back and now since yesterday you turn on him like dogs.

Dogs rarely turn on people. They are paragons of loyalty, actually. Its cats who are well known for turning on people when they least expect, biting jugular with their fangs and eating off the ears and sometimes even a nose. One day when you least expect, your cat will even turn on you after you have fed it and gave it water. It will bite face and scratch your arms up, a howling beast of the night season.

But dogs? hardly.

And I concur. This board is beyond the payload. Ive never seen such viciousness and bile being spewed. If they were true fans, they indeed wouldn't spit so much vile, but would calmly and graciously accept the years of free entertainment bell has provided.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: George Drooly on November 06, 2013, 01:38:34 AM
I didn't say he was fake

Have you ever actually posted anything that wasn't negative?

George Drooly

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 06, 2013, 01:42:40 AM

Dude, I've been registered two years longer than you... so stuff it back in your blowhole, chappie

spruce tree

I am a lurker on here for almost every show. I've come to know many of you by your avatars and incorporated many of you into my listening of the show. Many of the posts on here are quite intelligent and do add a great deal to the show. It's from this point of view that I can see where art came here for in-show and after-show opinions. I believe this forum holds more power than many of you may realize. But I guess none of that matters now. Shit on this whole deal! I am very close to turning on coast again for the first time in 6 months! Somebody talk me out of it!!!

shell88

When you come onto a forum board full of people, it's like driving in a street full of cars.  There's some really rude, and angry drivers who only display that kind of behavior behind the wheel.  The relative safety gives free rein to a persons true character.  An asshole is an asshole anyway you cut it.  I'm not sure why there seems to be so many here lately. 

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 06, 2013, 01:26:27 AM
I tried listening to some old shows and I realize I don't like the guy. It's probably not justified, because there was some valid reasons to not like him before, but I try to give people a pass on their past behavior unless its clear they haven't done a thing to change. In two years, maybe. But for now I don't think I'd even listen to a podcast of him. A lot of the appeal was nostalgia, I think, considering that the only guest I took seriously during his recent run was . . . .

HARRY BELAFONTE AND ANIMAL DRUM SOLO

Harry Belafonte & Animal Drum Solo

I'm entirely sympathetic to this.  Charm and nostalgia are powerful fucking currents, carried me here despite the vague unease.  I say I love Art, but I'm not so sure it's not just the experience, that slice of time; the wonder and ponder. 

Quote from: spruce tree on November 06, 2013, 01:47:04 AM
I am very close to turning on coast again for the first time in 6 months! Somebody talk me out of it!!!

C2C is still garbage, don't bother. Without Dark Matter available, I doubt I'll be raging in the nighttime anymore - nothing else measures up to Art's interview style.

Heather Wade

I am a lurker on here for almost every show. I've come to know many of you by your avatars and incorporated many of you into my listening of the show. Many of the posts on here are quite intelligent and do add a great deal to the show. It's from this point of view that I can see where art came here for in-show and after-show opinions. I believe this forum holds more power than many of you may realize. But I guess none of that matters now. Shit on this whole deal! I am very close to turning on coast again for the first time in 6 months! Somebody talk me out of it!!!

You'll hurt your ears & brain, dude, don't do it. 

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: George Drooly on November 06, 2013, 01:46:11 AM
Dude, I've been registered two years longer than you... so stuff it back in your blowhole, chappie

Just asking, you were negative when the show was running in the live threads, and now you're hammering it home. What's up with the endless flow of that shit?

George Drooly

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 06, 2013, 01:51:18 AM
Just asking, you were negative when the show was running in the live threads, and now you're hammering it home. What's up with the endless flow of that shit?

I didn't realize it was the internet's job to be your babysitter, sorry

spruce tree

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 06, 2013, 01:49:20 AM
C2C is still garbage, don't bother. Without Dark Matter available, I doubt I'll be raging in the nighttime anymore - nothing else measures up to Art's interview style.
Agreed. I've always been a nighttime. radio person. I guess I got nothin' but corporate trash all over again now. I'm done for the night... see ya again on page 300!

popple

+1

Some of the things I've seen said about Art and to other people on here have really gone beyond bleef  :o

shell88

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 06, 2013, 01:42:40 AM
+1 Most have him on ignore. What's taking you so long.

WOTR

I still think (some) of it is anger and emotion- but that only works for so long before it starts showing who you really are.  I keep hearing how Art owes us- his loyal fans.  For what?  For his having provided hours and years of entertainment and quality radio for us to listen to?  If anything, I probably owe Art for giving my mind something to do for years trapped alone in the wee hours of the morning.  Between him and the international broadcasts on the CBC late night I managed to have the time pass quickly where it would drag otherwise (some nights I had no access to radio.)

Overall, the last incarnation was too short... but add that to the massive databases of old shows that some of you listened to up to two months ago and the years you spent listening live and tell me that he owes you more.

shell88

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 06, 2013, 01:51:18 AM
This. Glad to see someone's finally calling this creep out.

Heather Wade

Quote from: shell88 on November 06, 2013, 01:55:44 AM

Heh.  You crack me up.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: George Drooly on November 06, 2013, 01:53:18 AM
I didn't realize it was the internet's job to be your babysitter, sorry

That's no response. Look, you along with the crowd that signed up today are in here to make this worse. You've made that clear. Well, it's getting worse. You're getting what you advocate. Every time Art posts it gets worse. We're moving from maybe there's a chance to no way in hell territory. Why the holy jesus fuck are you doing that?

widespread1

Quote from: popple on November 06, 2013, 01:55:31 AM
+1

Some of the things I've seen said about Art and to other people on here have really gone beyond bleef  :o
you know that shit didnt happen right when Art left. That is how it is around here.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: shell88 on November 06, 2013, 01:55:44 AM

Heh, I don't put anyone on ignore. I like the dicey side of things.

WOTR

I am very close to turning on coast again for the first time in 6 months! Somebody talk me out of it!!!
I would suggest sitting down in your favourite easy chair and burning yourself with a cigar over and over.  It would be more humane and a better use of your time. ;)

HumanBeing

Quote from: Art Bell on November 05, 2013, 11:20:11 PM
Ok, I agree, I am a washed up has been who has lost what little talent I might have had, my memory is fading
fast and my skills as a Interviewer no longer exist. Like a Prize fighter who took one to many punches I am off
in zombieville. I can take a hint, I am done. So I will now leave and abandon my idea of free streaming along
with a life that has now lost all it's meaning. I am sorry to have crushed so many dreams and now understand
full well that the real King has taken his rightful place on the throne of Bell Gab. I understand I am dead to you
all.

Art

There are a few here amongst us that stood up in a crowded theater and started screaming "Art's going to commit suicide!!"
... shame on you guys who are shouting that out. Art says nothing whatsoever is his last message on here.

He's beating himself up .. but who hasn't done that before.. that does not equate to him being suddenly suicidal.
But a few of you thought so and hence some of you then feel the urge to start posting about it like lunatics running around in a theater on fire.. the people who posted that are the ones acting abnormally about this.
Disgusting  >:(

tertiaryimam

Quote from: HumanBeing on November 06, 2013, 02:00:27 AM

There are a few here amongst us that stood up in a crowded theater and started screaming "Art's going to commit suicide!!"
... shame on you guys who are shouting that out. Art says nothing whatsoever is his last message on here.

He's beating himself up .. but who hasn't done that before.. that does not equate to him being suddenly suicidal.
But a few of you thought so and hence some of you then feel the urge to start posting about it like lunatics running around in a theater on fire.. the people who posted that are the ones acting abnormally about this.
Disgusting  >:(

Why do you think he posted it?

I mean, was he trying to get us to feel sorry for him? Was he trying to show that he's still his old skinny-jeaned, snarky, PBR-drinking self and is in complete control of the situation?

Hmmmmng.

zeebo

Quote from: Art Bell on November 05, 2013, 11:20:11 PM
Ok, I agree, I am a washed up has been who has lost what little talent I might have had, my memory is fading
fast and my skills as a Interviewer no longer exist. Like a Prize fighter who took one to many punches I am off
in zombieville. I can take a hint, I am done. So I will now leave and abandon my idea of free streaming along
with a life that has now lost all it's meaning. I am sorry to have crushed so many dreams and now understand
full well that the real King has taken his rightful place on the throne of Bell Gab. I understand I am dead to you
all.

Art

Art, seriously, there are many many people on this board and elsewhere who are huge fans of both your past and present work and are embarassed and ashamed by the level of hostility directed at you on this thread. 

If you keep broadcasting in any way shape or form most of us will be elated.  If you don't, most of us will understand and be thankful for all the wonderful years of fun, fascinating, meaningful radio you've brought us.  A handful of pathological, mean-spirited creeps will continue ranting like rabid lunatics.  Please ignore them - most of us are.

All the best (from many, many of us)