• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

georgesucks

Quote from: Art Bell on November 08, 2013, 04:18:18 PM
Ok today again we heard nothing from Sirius. It is strange that we get no communication at all.

Just so you know, not any of this was done on the fly, before leaving on Monday I consulted with Paul
and Bob Crane my sponsor and they both agreed it was the right course of action.

On Wed we proposed becoming a Independent Broadcaster, which as with others at Sirius/XM would
have meant we could stream ourself, that was the goal. They said they were activley considering it and
we have not heard from them since. I told them I was willing to be on air the next day.

I wish I had more to report but for now that is it as of the close of business Friday on the East Coast.

Art
Art, I really think that you should have not quit but worked with XM. You should have worked with them with the problems with stream. You would had more lines of communications with them. Now because you quit, why would they want to talk to you. You made a mistake and it does suck.

Art Bell

Just for the record, no I do not have any regrets. I feel I made the right decision, I did not want to be off
the air then, nor do I now, I only left after we asked for one Year of streaming or until theirs was fixed, they said no.
I just wanted it to have a chance to work properly. BTW you guy's and Gal's know me well, I can make life changing
decisions on a dime, I have always been that way for better or worse.

The one thing I can say is I have been honest with Sirius/XM and all of you through all of this. They have
not said yes or no, simply nothing.

My contract allowed for a 30 day out, they waived that on Monday when Paul and I talked to them. Within
48 hours we came back to them with a viable idea and I said I could be on air the next day. I do have a
two Year NC which I will honor if they hold me to it, should they release me from that I will do a stream
right away as I promised you I would do.

I am starting to wonder if there is some behind the scenes pressure coming from elswhere because otherwise
this was a total win-win situation.

Art

Bigfoot

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 08, 2013, 04:46:04 PM
I just want to go back to how it used to be.

[attachimg=1]

Unreported domestic violence?

sherry440

Quote from: Philosopher on November 08, 2013, 04:42:05 PM

Yes, and they can't afford to bring him back in and risk another black eye for the company.  It is done.

Waaaay dead and done. Not only is it so very sad for all of us who waited 10 years, but for Paul, and many, many other people who happily put time & energy into this exciting new endeavor: Ross's VoiceOvers, Keith, Heck even Time magazine interviewers....the ripple effect is astounding. For those reasons alone I would've tried to honor my commitment and work with SXM who had given much latitude and tried to adjust and answer demands.
As much as I love, Art, and I really do....he's trying to justify actions that are unjustifiable. And there's no getting around a NC clause.

Snowdoggie

Quote from: JayDee543 on November 08, 2013, 04:49:59 PM
Art should call back, apologize like crazy, and agree to a paycut w/o streaming if he wants to be back on SiriusXM.

The fact that he's surprised by the lack of communication on their behalf shows just how little he knew what he was doing, and how little skill he has in negotiating.

Look at it from SiriusXM's point of view:  they are a business driven by subscribers, not by rating - that means they only care about how many people have paid subscriptions.  This means that they don't care how many people listen to Art's show - they only care how many people he can bring in to pay for a subscription. 
So then after a month, Art goes "hey, with your current set up and with the way you run things, I don't think I can bring in any new subscribers nor do I think I can keep the ones that had 30 days for free - and it's all your fault!...I quit (after talking to my sponsor and producer w/o going to a lawyer and w/o actually negotiating w/ management of the show about my terms)".

Now, if I'm SiriusXM I think to myself:  "So this new employee who has been here for 6 weeks who used to have a lot of listeners just told me that 1) he can't give us new subscriptions 2) he can't hold on to the free trial subscriptions 3) he can't do a show we are paying him to do 4) he has zero ability to negotiate professionally...and he says it's our fault...and he says that the only way for him to maaaaybe get new subscribers is to give away his content for free making it even less likely that we get new subscribers.

Now 3 days later, Art goes "wait wait, ok ill work for free, just let me use ure bandwith'
Me as SiriusXM:  "you are f-ing kidding me?"

..and he's surprised he heard nothing back?

Depends. Can they put somebody else in that slot who could bring in as many listeners or as many subscriptions. Maybe they are still trying to figure that out. Remember we are talking late evening to middle of the night. Not morning drive time.

AppealPlay

Quote from: Art Bell on November 08, 2013, 04:52:41 PMI am starting to wonder if there is some behind the scenes pressure coming from elswhere because otherwise this was a total win-win situation.

Like from...maybe a competitor?  A certain radio show that may or may not air on affiliates ranging from coast to coast?

ledzep69r

I hope their silence isn't because the lawyers are preparing action.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: ledzep69r on November 08, 2013, 04:55:48 PM
I hope their silence isn't because the lawyers are preparing action.

That's what it is.

[attachimg=1]

alleyrulez

the ONLY way for Art to get back on Sirius would be to drop this whole streaming issue.

as someone said, apologize and pick up where you left off.

actively explore other options and present the plan to them, LATER.

Art, be totally honest and just admit that this whole thing has been one big clusterfuck.

PathoJen

Quote from: McPhallus on November 08, 2013, 04:32:39 PM
Exactly.  And they would want clarification on certain things, since the decision would likely involve several people.  There would, I think, be at least some communication.

I think they are pissed off at Art Bell. Period. I don't blame them either. That is likely why they have not responded yet. If they jump at his new proposal than he'll feel vindicated. This way they are showing art who wears the pants. Yes, this sort of childish crap does go on in the adult world. Unfortunately.
Oh, and that "don't call us, we'll call you" sounds about right.
I'm so confused. I would love to hear SXM's side of this sordid story.

Scully

Mission accomplished.  Now it can all be blamed on Sirius.  :'(

JayDee543

Quote from: Snowdoggie on November 08, 2013, 04:55:44 PM
Depends. Can they put somebody else in that slot who could bring in as many listeners or as many subscriptions. Maybe they are still trying to figure that out. Remember we are talking late evening to middle of the night. Not morning drive time.

The show airs evening-drive on West Coast and is available on demand 24/7.  They're not ratings based per time slots.  They are purely subscription based.

Art, you didn't look at it from their side at all when "negotiating" your move.

Bigfoot

Now, if I'm SiriusXM I think to myself:  "So this new employee who has been here for 6 weeks who used to have a lot of listeners just told me that 1) he can't give us new subscriptions 2) he can't hold on to the free trial subscriptions 3) he can't do a show we are paying him to do 4) he has zero ability to negotiate professionally...and he says it's our fault...and he says that the only way for him to maaaaybe get new subscribers is to give away his content for free making it even less likely that we get new subscribers.

Bingo. 

What I take issue with most of all, is why couldn't these negotiations have taken place behind the scene, with the show going forward as usual?  Why the sudden quit? How in the world does that give you any leverage? It's a terrible bluff that's backfiring. 

aldousburbank

Quote from: Art Bell on November 08, 2013, 04:52:41 PM
I am starting to wonder if there is some behind the scenes pressure coming from elswhere because otherwise
this was a total win-win situation

Art

Marc.Knight

Just for the record, no I do not have any regrets. I feel I made the right decision, I did not want to be off
the air then, nor do I now, I only left after we asked for one Year of streaming or until theirs was fixed, they said no.
I just wanted it to have a chance to work properly. BTW you guy's and Gal's know me well, I can make life changing

The one thing I can say is I have been honest with Sirius/XM and all of you through all of this. They have

My contract allowed for a 30 day out, they waived that on Monday when Paul and I talked to them. Within
48 hours we came back to them with a viable idea and I said I could be on air the next day. I do have a
two Year NC which I will honor if they hold me to it, should they release me from that I will do a stream

Art

Conceptually it might have been a win-win, but when the Execs woke up in the morning to read a bunch of on-line articles announcing your departure and criticism of the company they went into protective mode.  Part of that mode is: silence.

georgesucks

Art
Art as I said, you should have talked to Xm and worked on the problem with streaming. You quit because of the streaming issue. Why would XM bring you back. I think that you had a "its my way or the highway" thinking.

shell88

Thanks Art. I appreciate the clarification.  Hope things work out for you.

jazmunda

Art

Was the thirty day out 2 ways?

Art I really think you need to get a lawyer involved. You may have more options.

coaster

I think the silence from Sirius is proof that they have made their decision.

georgesucks

Quote from: coaster on November 08, 2013, 05:00:20 PM
I think the silence from Sirius is proof that they have made their decision.
I really think that your right coaster.  :(

JayDee543

Quote from: jazmunda on November 08, 2013, 05:00:15 PM

Art I really think you need to get a lawyer involved. You may have more options.

That lawyer should've been talking to SiriusXM's people before monday!

I'm seriously baffled by how little thought Art put into this move.  This is a multi-million dollar media enterprise he was dealing with - and he approached it like some local AM with an internet website.  Unbelievable.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: jazmunda on November 08, 2013, 05:00:15 PM

[attachimg=1]

alleyrulez

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 08, 2013, 05:03:13 PM

[attachimg=1]

I ask this in all seriousness and with sincere respect - do you have mental issues?

IcicleTrepan

Well if they don't want Art, the least they could do is let him out of the non compete since they don't have anything like Art on SiriusXM, therefore it's not really direct competition.

georgesucks

Yes Art you really need to get a lawyer to help you out. Please dont make other dumb mistake. Hire a lawyer to fight for you.

PathoJen

Art should call back, apologize like crazy, and agree to a paycut w/o streaming if he wants to be back on SiriusXM.

The fact that he's surprised by the lack of communication on their behalf shows just how little he knew what he was doing, and how little skill he has in negotiating.

Look at it from SiriusXM's point of view:  they are a business driven by subscribers, not by rating - that means they only care about how many people have paid subscriptions.  This means that they don't care how many people listen to Art's show - they only care how many people he can bring in to pay for a subscription. 
So then after a month, Art goes "hey, with your current set up and with the way you run things, I don't think I can bring in any new subscribers nor do I think I can keep the ones that had 30 days for free - and it's all your fault!...I quit (after talking to my sponsor and producer w/o going to a lawyer and w/o actually negotiating w/ management of the show about my terms)".

Now 3 days later, Art goes "wait wait, ok ill work for free, just let me use ure bandwith'
Me as SiriusXM:  "you are f-ing kidding me?"

..and he's surprised he heard nothing back?

All great points. However, I'm still in denial.

retired41

there response is in the snail mail should be in arts mail box Monday.

shell88

Quote from: alleyrulez on November 08, 2013, 04:56:53 PM
the ONLY way for Art to get back on Sirius would be to drop this whole streaming issue.

as someone said, apologize and pick up where you left off.

actively explore other options and present the plan to them, LATER.

Art, be totally honest and just admit that this whole thing has been one big clusterfuck.

You never know, SiriusXM could contact Art on Monday and agree to the deal. Silence isn't necessarily a bad thing here; management seems to respect him greatly as a broadcaster (showing concern over his back issues, for one) and seemed eager to work with him before. Give it some more time.

IcicleTrepan

Quote from: retired41 on November 08, 2013, 05:06:11 PM
there response is in the snail mail should be in arts mail box Monday.

sadly you are probably correct.