• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

the movie reference corollary, I need an equation please.

Started by awake, June 13, 2013, 04:59:19 PM

awake

Ok, I'm not strong with the mathematics that's I why marjored in marketing.  So I need someone else to figure an equation for me please.  Let me describe my hypothesis; I see a correlation between the number of random references to sci fi movies and how unhinged a particular guest becomes over the course of the interview.  There may also be a relation to the amount of stammering as the guest becomes more excited as his/her clearly insane thoughts start to pile up against one another.  I cannot offer remuneration beyond my admiration, but if the spirit moves you to action...

Out of curiosity, can you offer an example of this dynamic from C2C? 

I have noticed that on NPR's Science Friday, a significant number of guests will answer a question with a coordinating conjunction -- typically, the conjunction "so".  For instance, Ira Flatow might say, "What evidence is there to suggest that dolphins communicate complex thoughts to each other.?  The answer might begin, "So a lot of research indicates...."

I've not done any sort of research as to how often this happens, but I can say -- anecdotally speaking, that it occurs regularly.

However, I've not noticed anything along the lines of what you suggest, but maybe I've just not heard the right show... I haven't listened more than a few times after Art left....

Quote from: someguy on June 27, 2013, 12:41:01 AM
what the fuck are you guys talking about?

It's very confusing.

mortal_coil seems to think a guest's behavior becomes more erratic based on the number of references being made during a given interview?

West of the Rockies is trying to relate by summing up what I imagine to be one of their pet peeves.

A great example might be RCH when he was going on about the John Carter movie and how it was all real and the movie got torpedoed because they didn't want the people to know that Mars is livable or some shit like that...

b_dubb

Quote from: The Neverender on June 30, 2013, 04:59:10 PM
A great example might be RCH when he was going on about the John Carter movie and how it was all real and the movie got torpedoed because they didn't want the people to know that Mars is livable or some shit like that...

RCH is completely off his rocker for saying this.  they should have interrupted the show, called the police and ambulance in RCH's hometown, and had his ass hauled off for psychiatric review.  just to get a sense for whether he was dangerous to himself or others

yeah... i don't know how he is allowed to walk the streets... after every coast show he's on he should be on a mandatory 48 hour hold...

Uncle Duke

And how many times do you hear guests/callers talk about the aliens not interfering with events on Earth because it would violate the "prime directive"?  Seriously this idea from the original "Star Trek" series, these idiots cite as if it's a law of physics.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 25, 2013, 12:45:45 PM
And how many times do you hear guests/callers talk about the aliens not interfering with events on Earth because it would violate the "prime directive"?  Seriously this idea from the original "Star Trek" series, these idiots cite as if it's a law of physics.

Too true, Uncle Duke, too true... I've also heard people on the show discuss "Class M" planets (another Trek reference).  On the one hand, it is pretty neat how that iconic television show has so influenced things, but it's also a little sad as well when people don't know the distinction between reality and television fiction.

onan

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 25, 2013, 06:10:07 PM
Too true, Uncle Duke, too true... I've also heard people on the show discuss "Class M" planets (another Trek reference).  On the one hand, it is pretty neat how that iconic television show has so influenced things, but it's also a little sad as well when people don't know the distinction between reality and television fiction.

There are people that think the show stargate is real and there is a conspiracy.

http://markbennis.hubpages.com/hub/The-biggest-Conspiracy-Theory-of-all-times-Stargate-Gulf-of-Aden

something about human/dolphin hybrids...

I may be going out on a limb here, but I suspect the same people who believe Stargate is real probably are absolutely certain that global warming is a hoax, the grubby effort of academic knuckleheads searching for research dollars.