• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Canadian Fires

Started by albrecht, May 04, 2016, 07:00:39 PM

albrecht

Pray, donate, think good thoughts, intention, mass consciousness, or whatever your bag, is for the folks dealing with these fires in Alberta, but also in other provinces like BC, Saskatchewan. It is a crazy, almost apocalyptic situation if you look at the stuff people and new agencies have filmed. Really scary and predict no real stopping it, yet. But people are fleeing like you see refugees in the bad old days in places.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/04/world/fort-mcmurray-fire-canada/index.html
http://cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/report

Hog

State of Emergency, its really bad up here.

peace
Hog

albrecht

Quote from: Hog on May 04, 2016, 09:46:01 PM

peace
Hog
I hope you all up there are safe. It is really a crazy situation. Apocalyptic images and videos. Scary stuff. I wish I could send some rain. Maybe RCH could have an intention channeling deal? (Not to make light of the dangerous situation.)

ksm32

Quote from: albrecht on May 05, 2016, 05:53:10 PM
I hope you all up there are safe. It is really a crazy situation. Apocalyptic images and videos. Scary stuff. I wish I could send some rain. Maybe RCH could have an intention channeling deal? (Not to make light of the dangerous situation.)

Thank you, Albrecht.

Thank God we're spending 1.6 billion on Syrian parasites and our federal manboy (whom I did not vote for) Justin, has promised to match the Red Cross donations. Nice!

Cantada.

albrecht

Quote from: ksm32 on May 05, 2016, 11:16:12 PM
Thank you, Albrecht.

Thank God we're spending 1.6 billion on Syrian parasites and our federal manboy (whom I did not vote for) Justin, has promised to match the Red Cross donations. Nice!

Cantada.
Believe me, I understand the frustration. We had some serious fires down here a while back and crazy stuff, like the planes, finally sent, couldn't fly out to fight them once landed because of refueling issues and "too many hours operated" by the pilots. Great planning. And then we have floods. (Here it is either dry and fire, or rain and floods!) But, more importantly, we have to protect, educate, save, accept, provide healthcare for illegals and their children and the "refugees." I'll bet they, even up there, will get better assistance and aide than the citizens effected by fires, floods, etc.
Be safe, I hope for some rain (up there.)

coaster

I saw a video earlier of people trying to evacuate and there was literal fire raining down onto the cars. Terrifying.

ksm32

Quote from: albrecht on May 05, 2016, 11:21:48 PM
Believe me, I understand the frustration. We had some serious fires down here a while back and crazy stuff, like the planes, finally sent, couldn't fly out to fight them once landed because of refueling issues and "too many hours operated" by the pilots. Great planning. And then we have floods. (Here it is either dry and fire, or rain and floods!) But, more importantly, we have to protect, educate, save, accept, provide healthcare for illegals and their children and the "refugees." I'll bet they, even up there, will get better assistance and aide than the citizens effected by fires, floods, etc.
Be safe, I hope for some rain (up there.)

The refugees (being nice) were evacuated via Tax Payer Working Man Airlines. Real Canadians with JOBS ETC are driving through hell with crying children, all while knowing their homes/houses they've bought or built, are gone.

And yes, I know about the fires and floods you guys go through. It's fucking heartbreaking on both sides of the line. I won't even get started on all the misplaced animals.

starrmtn001

Quote from: Hog on May 04, 2016, 09:46:01 PM

peace
Hog

WOTR

Good to see everything is political and negative.  Yeah, if there were not refugees in this country the fire would not have destroyed the city- it's the refugees fault.

As for driving through the flames with their kids... Yeah, that's what you do when it becomes necessary.  but if we didn't take in refugees we would have flown all 100 000 people out (with their possessions) in the 8 hours it took to go from "some areas are under voluntary evacuation" to "get the fuck out of town."  Fort Mac has a small airport 20 minutes out of town with almost no parking.  Most people up there have three cars each- My guess is that the "refugees" you refer to were foreign workers with no transportation (and most were probably evacuated on Diversified buses.)

Last that I heard there were 12 tankers and a dozen or more helicopters working on the fire.  The fact is that the town had a nice layout with LOTS of wooded areas between communities.  It was nice- now that same thing of beauty has made it impossible to save those same communities.  I remember the forestry service doing controlled burns in the city.  It probably helped- but things get too dry up there.

Did I mention that out of the areas that I lived while in Fort Mac that at least one is in ashes?  Shit happens and it is not all due to refugees.

This is horrifying. I hope all our Canadian friends are safe. My thoughts are with everyone trying to leave the area.

Several years ago, Florida wildfires came within yards of my mom's home. She and everyone else was evacuated, and I didn't hear from her for days, as she  had no cellphone. Worst few days of my life. The area looked and smelled like a war zone for months afterwards.

Praying that all will be evacuated safely.

albrecht

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on May 06, 2016, 12:45:31 AM
This is horrifying. I hope all our Canadian friends are safe. My thoughts are with everyone trying to leave the area.

Several years ago, Florida wildfires came within yards of my mom's home. She and everyone else was evacuated, and I didn't hear from her for days, as she  had no cellphone. Worst few days of my life. The area looked and smelled like a war zone for months afterwards.

Praying that all will be evacuated safely.
Amen. It is crazy how quickly fires can move. And floods and other more obvious stuff like tornadoes. Keep you CCrane radio on and leave per instructions. They move faster than one thinks.

WOTR

I figure I will quote my post from the first night of this.  It is not often that I do not believe that the media is blowing things out of proportion- but I really do recognize most of the landmarks in the videos I watch- and I have refreshed my memory of the layout with google maps.  I would actually suggest anybody who is interested or thinks that there was a lack of effort on the part of the fire crews use google maps and switch to satellite view.  The challenge will quickly become obvious. My only question is why they didn't call up Suncor and Syncrude and tell them they need 100 D-10 and D-11 Cats with operators to clear fire breaks.  It has to be one of the only places on earth you have that much equipment an hour away...

Quote from: WOTR on May 04, 2016, 01:35:03 AM
I am no longer there- but did spend a number of years in that town.  Watching it burn and recognizing the places and the extent of the fire on the videos is absolutely amazing.  Fort Mac has tons and tons of trees- lots of hills where they did not build and lots of undeveloped land between the communities.  It was nice- but I'm sure that has contributed to the devastation and difficulty containing it.

Just thought I would post it as it really has been on my mind all evening.  I guess the only good thing is that if there is a city to burn, Fort Mac is probably the best one.  Rents are outrageous and that keeps the disabled and seniors out of it.  Pretty much everybody in town was able bodied and I doubt there was a single retirement home there (at least there was not when I lived there...)  I did not know a single person who did not own three vehicles and  I would think that it was probably the easiest mass evacuation ever.  (I'm sure there were no people screaming in pain while trying to fire up the wrecked Prius.) ;)

Not that I expect people to understand or care- but the traffic circle sign @ :13 is the far North of town while the trailer park seen at 1:38 is leaving the South of town.  Petty much tells you everything...  80,000 - 100,000 people evacuated.  Unreal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKaM6bw_S5U

In case you figured it was just the two ends of the town... this is right downtown.  One side of the highway is treed- the other is businesses and residential (where I lived against the river...)  I like the truck heading south at :44 loaded with gen sets and compressors.  You have to understand that equipment does NOT travel south out of town- EVER...  Scholars will undoubtedly tell you that equipment going south is a sign of the apocalypse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqj2bm1VwF0

WOTR

I suppose I am too "invested" in this...  In case anybody thinks that it is just a matter of flying a few planes in and out, please watch the airport webcam.  Take note of the planes that are visible and you will quickly realize that the airport is a joke.  My guess is that they are now evacuating people from Suncor because the camp is right in the middle of the trees.  Two nice work camps- but they will not survive.  I spent time in both- the food was not as good as Syncrude's Mildred Lake camp- but what the hell...   

As to the idea that they were evacuating "refugees" by "tax payer working man airlines" you are an idiot.  Here is the Calgary Herald article about the last flight from Fort Mac.  I don't know where you get the info on who was evacuated- but Westjet (by far the largest airline flying up there) evacuated a few hundred people... And most would have been those with tickets. http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/fort-mcmurray-evacuees-arrive-in-calgary
"Most of the passengers were oilfield workers that were clearing space at their camps for Fort McMurray evacuees or who were at the end of their rotations. Many had to sleep overnight at the airport after flight cancellations the night before, also due to the fire."

"Lauren Stewart, a WestJet spokesperson, said employees worked 24 to 36 hours straight during the emergency. WestJet evacuated 260 people from the airport Wednesday."

From CTV news: "Amany Darwish, president of The Canadian True Power organization in Fort McMurray, says she believes about six families of Syrian refugees fled safely"  It does not say if they flew out or drove out- but I am interested in the source claiming that refugees were flying while Joe six pack drove...

Last side note for the night.  I spent the first year after I arrived up there at Rotary campground living in a trailer.  The campground was a few hundred meters northwest of the airport (just off highway 69- No, I'm not joking.)  They shut it down a few years ago- but it was a nice(ish) place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbUcWAZrSsY

That is terrible.  Prayers for all the people caught in the fire's path and all those fighting it.

Lilith

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 06, 2016, 03:56:46 AM
That is terrible.  Prayers for all the people caught in the fire's path and all those fighting it.

This! 

WOTR

Last video of the night...  This is (I believe) what Coaster was referring to.  Probably the scariest video that I have seen to come out of this.  I feel like people probably don't care... But I recognized the intersection, used google maps and worked backwards... So if you want to do a google map of the area to see why it burned you can.  The road they were driving on was Beacon hill drive.  The house at the start of the video would be 804 Beacon hill drive and the video goes from there to the intersection of Beacon hill drive and highway 63 (the main highway out of town... They were on the South part of McMurray...)  I don't know if this link will work or not... But here is the intersection...It is all trees to the south west. https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Fort+McMurray,+AB/@56.6892987,-111.3655488,520a,20y,90.98h,44.91t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x53b03aeeff1a4459:0x5c8133330dca74b7!8m2!3d56.7263796!4d-111.3803407

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAraRmol9Eg

WOTR don't worry about what anyone says. Some people have to politicize everything, even an emergency.

akwilly

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on May 06, 2016, 05:21:50 AM
WOTR don't worry about what anyone says. Some people have to politicize everything, even an emergency.
this fire is a false flag. A botched FEMA drill

ACE of CLUBS

Quote from: akwilly on May 06, 2016, 05:42:01 AM

Ignorant post .....
Fuck off

akwilly

Quote from: ACE of CLUBS on May 06, 2016, 05:55:59 AM
Ignorant post .....
Fuck off
was just making a a slight handed remark about sandy hook and the like. You fuck off

Hog

"Firenado" chases firefighters. From a couple weeks ago near St Albert Alberta Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KeWPANSWIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSPFt6O1FLI

peace
Hog

starrmtn001

Quote from: akwilly on May 06, 2016, 05:42:01 AM
I don't think it's man made, Akwilly.  I think there's a 'Greater' Force at work here.

Quote from Dutchsinse
I've got to say it now, and I don't want to alarm people when I say it, but.....these fires might have a tectonic magma source, not a human or weather related source.

5/06/2016 -- Canada fires near Alberta Oil Tar Sands - Suddenly spreads WEST to BC Oil Operation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCtw-A_zwh4

starrmtn001

Amen Brother.

GravitySucks

This is a link to pictures taken in Fort McMurray.

Total devastation.

http://m.imgur.com/a/yKm4V

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 06, 2016, 08:34:56 PM
This is a link to pictures taken in Fort McMurray.

Total devastation.

http://m.imgur.com/a/yKm4V
Insane. Everyone pray, think, donate, or whatever. Crazy stuff. And summer is soon coming.

Pretty cool that so many of the kind words posted in this thread are from the folks I regularly tangle with in the Politics threads. Pretty damn cool.  Here's to you:

GravitySucks

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on May 06, 2016, 09:34:58 PM
Pretty cool that so many of the kind words posted in this thread are from the folks I regularly tangle with in the Politics threads. Pretty damn cool.  Here's to you:

Beers to you Daddio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzNofPjflAY

My heart goes out to the former residents and the responders.

ksm32

Quote from: akwilly on May 06, 2016, 06:02:31 AM
was just making a a slight handed remark about sandy hook and the like. You fuck off

AddaBoy!!

cosmic hobo

My dyslexia thought this thread was about poutine.