• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What Brought You to the Paramormal?

Started by Hautex, April 21, 2016, 05:25:49 PM

Hautex

Why are you here and why do you stay? MV recently expressed concern over this sites direction. So, perhaps to help this great site to remain strong, post about why you were attracted to these topics. Our biggest, and primary, draw was Art Bell obviously, but what led you to the fringe sciences?
   Here is mine: Some already have heard my story of what I saw at Edwards AFB in the late 80's and I spoke of it with Art on his show and to Preston Dennet who has spoken of it on Dark Matter shows. My reason for pursuing these topics is that what I saw was on our base, being tested by our people and explained later in rational terms on how it operated. No aliens, no fogginess to obscure my view and no flashing lights. My question is: how did we achieve such magnificent tech and why is that scientist not on every billboard, talk show, and newspaper being thanked and appreciated? (is he or she posting on this site?) Then I discovered Art Bell, the floodgates of possibilities opened wide. Then when he left the air, it was like losing a friend and BellGab was discovered to find out why and I stayed. 1st as a guest, then taking the plunge with a screen name and a hope to fit in....or not.
   Now for your story:

NXOEED

Thelema, Feral House, Forteana, Rosicrucian Fellowship, Process Church of The Final Judgment, TOPY, Wilhelm Reich, etc... I was seeing someone back in the nineties who shared these interests with me. She'd listen to Art Bell because occasionally these topics were discussed, and I was usually hanging out with her, so I'd listen too. She cared about aliens more than I did, but I'd listen anyway.

I've always been a lot more into that stuff than what is typically thought of as paranormal, but they occasionally intersect. If Feral house were to do a weekly, monthly, or even quarterly podcast, that would pretty much make my life. Marc Maron's interview with Adam Parfrey is my favorite episode of WTF of all time.

Daggit

I had an experience when I was a kid where I saw a plane disappear into a cloud and then the noise stopped and it never reappeared out the other end. I've written about this experience on this site somewhere.

Hautex

Quote from: Daggit on May 03, 2016, 08:24:33 PM
I had an experience when I was a kid where I saw a plane disappear into a cloud and then the noise stopped and it never reappeared out the other end. I've written about this experience on this site somewhere.
Holy shit! How can that ever be explained and be settled in your head..?  I owned a haunted house in Balmorhea, TX for about 6 years. We peacefully coexisted the entire time, once a medium helped with the communication... Saved a lot in candy prices around Halloween... Only thing that I really had to complain about was feeling someone sit down on my bed... Made that stop quickly.... Peace

BobGrau

Quote from: NXOEED on April 21, 2016, 06:55:56 PM
...Marc Maron's interview with Adam Parfrey is my favorite episode of WTF of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ZYTJdHv7w

Posted to youtube a mere 4 days ago, intriguingly...

BobGrau

Quote from: Daggit on May 03, 2016, 08:24:33 PM

Had something similar about 10 years ago, 2 fighter-type jets leaving contrails in a clear blue sky. I looked away long enough to clear the crick in my neck and when I looked back one of them was gone (its trail was still there). Maybe it went really high up, really fast?

3OctaveFart

The Guy From Pittsburgh.

No, it was reading The Amityville Horror as a kid and being scared shitless by it.

MV/Liberace!

I'd say Unsolved Mysteries was my introduction to paranormal topics.  I was probably 7 or 8 when that show was at its peak.  However, if you're wondering how I discovered Art Bell, it was because of Rush Limbaugh.  I would never have tuned to the AM band to discover Art had it not been for Limbaugh.

Corona Kitty

Grandparents & other family members.

NXOEED

Quote from: BobGrau on May 04, 2016, 12:57:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ZYTJdHv7w

Posted to youtube a mere 4 days ago, intriguingly...

haha yup. I've still got it on my iPod from the first time it appeared. I've listened to it easily a hundred times. It's my comfort episode (as are the Shepard Fairey and Robert Williams episodes).

Ghost stories as a kid... TV shows like Night Gallery and The Outer Limits and In Search Of... Oh, and, of course, Star Trek.  Watching the Apollo missions live.  Exploration of all kinds is amazing.

Hautex

Quote from: MV on May 04, 2016, 02:00:41 PM
I'd say Unsolved Mysteries was my introduction to paranormal topics.  I was probably 7 or 8 when that show was at its peak.  However, if you're wondering how I discovered Art Bell, it was because of Rush Limbaugh.  I would never have tuned to the AM band to discover Art had it not been for Limbaugh.
Same here on the Limbaugh thing. That and the old radio mystery theatre shows, still a fallback when bad and overused guests show.

Taco Bell

Quote from: HAUnted TEXan on May 03, 2016, 10:00:24 PM
  Holy shit! How can that ever be explained and be settled in your head..?  I owned a haunted house in Balmorhea, TX for about 6 years. We peacefully coexisted the entire time, once a medium helped with the communication... Saved a lot in candy prices around Halloween... Only thing that I really had to complain about was feeling someone sit down on my bed... Made that stop quickly.... Peace

Had that someone sitting on my bed thing happen at my parents house more than a few times when I moved back in for a summer while in college. First couple times I thought I was imagining it. Then I tried to ignore it. This girl I was seeing at the time had it happen to her when I was showering before work one morning. Came down stairs and she was turned towards the wall in bed, a death grip on the sheets over her head and shaking like crazy. She never stayed there again.

For me it was the Hickson and Parker case.  I was just a little dude when it happened and the Alien they
tangled with was *way* cool.  Much more so than the Grey's of today

trostol

entertaining..interesting..now just meh

cosmic hobo

I had an experience as a child where I either dreamed or saw an old lady walking our hallways. This happened multiple times in my childhood home.