• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Mr. Spock's FishingGab Thread.

Started by MR. Spock, April 17, 2016, 05:06:17 PM

coaster

Quote from: MR. Spock on April 17, 2016, 06:02:46 PM
I know that a lot of people go noodling in Oklahoma but I have never tried it.
Folks are worried about snapping turtles and snakes, but if you find a nice hole, you can get a record cat. I've heard of people losing fingers while they went out noodling. Its legal in Oklahoma but Nebraska banned it. Nebraska..I swear.

littlechris

Quote from: coaster on April 17, 2016, 06:04:49 PM
Folks are worried about snapping turtles and snakes, but if you find a nice hole, you can get a record cat. I've heard of people losing fingers while they went out noodling. Its legal in Oklahoma but Nebraska banned it. Nebraska..I swear.

Losing fingers from a snapping turtle?? Ouchy!? Lolz.

coaster

Quote from: Some Random Fat Dude in Missouri on April 17, 2016, 05:59:59 PM
Some Random Fat Dude in Missouri's Guide to Random Fat Dudes in Missouri.
Where in Mizzou? Born and raised. Grew up in Seymour. Half of southwest Missouri has my family's name all over it. Literally.

coaster

Quote from: littlechris on April 17, 2016, 06:06:27 PM
Losing fingers from a snapping turtle?? Ouchy!? Lolz.
so this is my new favorite thread.

albrecht

Quote from: coaster on April 17, 2016, 06:00:30 PM
Nice sized trout.
Cats always put up a big fight. I had a cheap Ugly Stik rod once and was fishing for cats in middle of the night. Had a bell on the end of the pole. Heard it and ran. It took my pole right off the shore into the water. After about 30 minutes and soaking wet, I had a 30 pound cat.
Has anyone ever tried noodling? Its actually a lot of fun.
It used to be illegal but they passed a law or changed the regs so that it is legal here now. But I never tried-- think those folks are crazy what with cotton-mouths, snapping turtles, gators, and who knows what else could be hiding in those holes! (ps: we call it grabblin' here.) But have fun trying! I had an old uncle who had feeders at a tank with some monster catfish but, as I said, the younger ones were better eating, unfortunately, a flood brought the river over the bank and brought in some gars and gators in addition to flooding out much of the fish so....no more good fishing after that and he moved away and sold the place.

MR. Spock

I uses chicken liver when is go catfishing and sometimes bacon too. It always works in northern California between Sacramento and Chico. There are a lot of rice fields up there and sometimes you can get some crawdads too.

GravitySucks

I caught this with my daughter in Roatan.

albrecht

Quote from: MR. Spock on April 17, 2016, 06:08:08 PM
I uses chicken liver when is go catfishing and sometimes bacon too. It always works in northern California between Sacramento and Chico. There are a lot of rice fields up there and sometimes you can get some crawdads too.
I just boiled up about 120lbs of crawdads yesterday. Good party and that last batch...wow. Lips still burning a bit, especially from the corn that really soaked up the spice. I kept a few for bait also. One years I overestimated attendance and likely gave the coons and bass a fun time (but maybe disrupted the eco-system of the creek behind my house) because I had a sack leftover and released them into the wild.

coaster

Quote from: albrecht on April 17, 2016, 06:08:06 PM
It used to be illegal but they passed a law or changed the regs so that it is legal here now. But I never tried-- think those folks are crazy what with cotton-mouths, snapping turtles, gators, and who knows what else could be hiding in those holes! (ps: we call it grabblin' here.) But have fun trying! I had an old uncle who had feeders at a tank with some monster catfish but, as I said, the younger ones were better eating, unfortunately, a flood brought the river over the bank and brought in some gars and gators in addition to flooding out much of the fish so....no more good fishing after that and he moved away and sold the place.
them gars. Used to fish right off the damn and they would steal my bait every time. And older catfish taste like pure mud. 

Quote from: MR. Spock on April 17, 2016, 06:08:08 PM
Never used bacon, but chicken livers is a go to bait. I use a three pronged treble hook when I use livers. Keeps the bait on. The best bait for cats? gold fish. believe it or not, its the best bait ever. Especially cut bait. Works like a charm.

littlechris

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 17, 2016, 06:11:47 PM
I caught this with my daughter in Roatan.

GS, is that you on the right?

MR. Spock

Quote from: albrecht on April 17, 2016, 06:12:19 PM
I just boiled up about 120lbs of crawdads yesterday. Good party and that last batch...wow. Lips still burning a bit, especially from the corn that really soaked up the spice. I kept a few for bait also. One years I overestimated attendance and likely gave the coons and bass a fun time (but maybe disrupted the eco-system of the creek behind my house) because I had a sack leftover and released them into the wild.
I love to eat some crawdads. My brother and I always headed to our grandma's place and go get as many crawdads as we could.

chefist

Interesting you call it "noodling" there...In southern Illinois we called it "logging".

albrecht

Quote from: coaster on April 17, 2016, 06:15:00 PM
them gars. Used to fish right off the damn and they would steal my bait every time. And older catfish taste like pure mud. 
Never used bacon, but chicken livers is a go to bait. I use a three pronged treble hook when I use livers. Keeps the bait on. The best bait for cats? gold fish. believe it or not, its the best bait ever. Especially cut bait. Works like a charm.
Depending on the type you are going for blues like live bait more than others. But catfish will eat almost anything. Chicken liver is a must and easy to find. Never tried goldfish but tried shad (gizzard shad, I think, caught with cast net. Didn't succeed- but was fishing in an area not known for Blues and not underneath a dam etc.)
ps: I never done it but people here bowfish for gars. Looks fun and you have to have technique (water reflection etc.) But I have caught an alligator gar once that was pretty big on a shark-line in brackish water and it was the nastiest thing you've seen. Literally like a gar and a gator mated and mean.

albrecht

Quote from: MR. Spock on April 17, 2016, 06:16:31 PM
I love to eat some crawdads. My brother and I always headed to our grandma's place and go get as many crawdads as we could.
Yeah they are good and always a fun party. Like BBQ and chili cook-offs it encourages drinking and long time hanging out. Weird looking creatures, and kids love them (to pick them up, look at them, let them fight, etc. Many of the kids took some home for their aquariums etc (much to chagrin of some moms. haha.) Eating them is good, I like it spicy so usually wait to the final boil when everything is concentrated. Ha.

coaster

Quote from: albrecht on April 17, 2016, 06:21:20 PM
Depending on the type you are going for blues like live bait more than others. But catfish will eat almost anything. Chicken liver is a must and easy to find. Never tried goldfish but tried shad (gizzard shad, I think, caught with cast net. Didn't succeed- but was fishing in an area not known for Blues and not underneath a dam etc.)
We have blues, channel, and flathead here. they are scavengers and will eat anything. As long as they can smell it.

coaster

paddlefish. Nebraska has huge paddlefish. But you need a permit to catch them and I think you can only catch one. I think you have to use bows. Absurd.
I caught a grass carp that was huge and it dragged us along in a raft. Thats how you catch the big fish. Fuck bows. That takes all the fun out of it. Its the fight that makes it exciting.
I have never fished in the ocean. My dad grew up in San Diego and made a living out there with fish. Thats on my bucket list. Salt water fishing. I hear Florida has some really nice packages too. Like 3000k, though I may do that some day. Catch a marlin...that would be a fight hah.

MR. Spock

Quote from: coaster on April 17, 2016, 06:26:20 PM
We have blues, channel, and flathead here. they are scavengers and will eat anything. As long as they can smell it.
There a lot of channel cats in northern California and in the owens valley in California.

chefist

I love crappie fishing when I go back home...delicious fish...

MR. Spock

There are a lot of Golden Trouts in the Southern Sierras in the Mount Whitney area.

littlechris

Quote from: MR. Spock on April 17, 2016, 06:16:31 PM

I love me some crawdads.

As a kid we used to catch them in the city of industry.

Down the street from where this was filmed.

Good times, good times.

littlechris

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 17, 2016, 06:25:44 PM
Yes. About 7 years ago

Cool.

Would be awesome if we all posted pics of ourselves.  :)

MR. Spock

Quote from: littlechris on April 17, 2016, 06:32:34 PM
I love me some crawdads.

As a kid we used to catch them in the city of industry.

Down the street from where this was filmed.

Good times, good times.
Cool. My brother and I went to Loma Rica Caa near Beale AFB to catch our crawdads.

GravitySucks

This was my most recent fishing trip in Galveston Bay with my brother, and nephew. Yes, LittleChris, that is me on the right.

MR. Spock

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 17, 2016, 06:37:01 PM
This was my most recent fishing trip in Galveston Bay with my brother, and nephew. Yes, LittleChris, that is me on the right.
Nice Catch Gravity.

coaster

Quote from: chefist on April 17, 2016, 06:32:01 PM
I love crappie fishing when I go back home...delicious fish...
pan fried crappie with a bit of pepper and some lemon.  catch them right off the rocks. Hell yeah.
nice catch indeed.

littlechris

Awesome!

Lots of cookin right there.

Good to put a face to the name.

GravitySucks

Quote from: littlechris on April 17, 2016, 06:41:39 PM
Awesome!

Lots of cookin right there.

Good to put a face to the name.

Mostly speckled trout, a couple of sand trout and maybe one or two redfish.

coaster

Who had to clean them? hah.
Give me a knife and a garden hose, and I can clean a fish in seconds. but a haul, eh.