• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

BellGabbers unite to help Mr. Fidget. This is my quest.

Started by GravitySucks, April 08, 2016, 02:08:42 PM

GravitySucks

I am on a quest to help Mr. Fidget restore his dignity and to help him move to Eugene, Oregon so that he can begin producing fidgets and some other artwork that he has envisioned.

Mr. Fidget is currently homeless in LA, but is doing everything within his power to get back on his feet and become a productive member of society in Eugene, Oregon.

He has faced numerous challenges, including having his to storage units impounded so he has been unable to get his fidget tools and materials, as well as some of his artwork. I know that a few of you may have been burned back 17 years ago when he didn't deliver, but I say let sleeping dogs lie.

Mr. Fidget now has access to his storage units and can begin making fidgets again. He has some business leads that may allow him to finally make ends meet and get up to Eugene, Or to open up his studio.

Mr. Fidget started a gofundme page some months back and only raised a total of $80. None of the donations were from BellGabbers.

gofundme.com/amshaz

Mr. Fidget also has a cash.me account that will get him the money quicker than the gofundme account, and they don't take a percentage. If you would rather donate there, contact Mr. Fidget and I am sure he will be willing to provide it.

I have had phone conversations with Mr. Fidget, and he has a plan. I put my money where my mouth is and made a donation to his cash.me account.

I am asking all of you to consider doing the same. $2, $5, $10 or $20 will go a long way to helping a homeless person pursue his dream of having an art studio in Eugene, Oregon. I have never seen Oregon, so if this becomes a reality, I may just have to make a road trip.

Skip a Starbucks and help a starving artist.

If you use the cash.me account, all it takes is two minutes and a debit card.  I know of at least one other BellGabber I have contacted that has made a generous donation since I started this quest.

It is not very often that we get to be part of making a dream come through. Please consider this request and follow your heart

Respectfully,
GravitySucks.

starrmtn001

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 08, 2016, 02:08:42 PM
I am on a quest to help Mr. Fidget restore his dignity and to help him move to Eugene, Oregon so that he can begin producing fidgets and some other artwork that he has envisioned.

Mr. Fidget is currently homeless in LA, but is doing everything within his power to get back on his feet and become a productive member of society in Eugene, Oregon.

He has faced numerous challenges, including having his to storage units impounded so he has been unable to get his fidget tools and materials, as well as some of his artwork. I know that a few of you may have been burned back 17 years ago when he didn't deliver, but I say let sleeping dogs lie.

Mr. Fidget now has access to his storage units and can begin making fidgets again. He has some business leads that may allow him to finally make ends meet and get up to Eugene, Or to open up his studio.

Mr. Fidget started a gofundme page some months back and only raised a total of $80. None of the donations were from BellGabbers.

gofundme.com/amshaz

Mr. Fidget also has a cash.me account that will get him the money quicker than the gofundme account, and they don't take a percentage. If you would rather donate there, contact Mr. Fidget and I am sure he will be willing to provide it.

I have had phone conversations with Mr. Fidget, and he has a plan. I put my money where my mouth is and made a donation to his cash.me account.

I am asking all of you to consider doing the same. $2, $5, $10 or $20 will go a long way to helping a homeless person pursue his dream of having an art studio in Eugene, Oregon. I have never seen Oregon, so if this becomes a reality, I may just have to make a road trip.

If you use the cash.me account, all it takes is two minutes and a debit card.  I know of at least one other BellGabber I have contacted that has made a generous donation since I started this quest.

It is not very often that we get to be part of making a dream come through. Please consider this request and follow your heart

Respectfully,
GravitySucks.
You are so awesome, Gravity, and you have a heart of gold.  In fact, you are among the most honorable members on the BellGab Forum! :D

Mr. Fidget

Respectfully,
GravitySucks.

Wow, and thank you! I am very appreciative of the kind words, and donations that have materialized today. My fervent hope is simply to have a stable location in which to create great art, and art related content to share with the world online. Today is the first time in years both of my storages have been paid through the current month. It means a lot to me, and I'll be pushing ahead to create some astounding imagery... and sculpture. I know that when I manifest the visions in my mind's eye, many people will get to enjoy them.

What a day!

starrmtn001

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on April 08, 2016, 04:10:38 PM

Wow, and thank you! I am very appreciative of the kind words, and donations that have materialized today. My fervent hope is simply to have a stable location in which to create great art, and art related content to share with the world online. Today is the first time in years both of my storages have been paid through the current month. It means a lot to me, and I'll be pushing ahead to create some astounding imagery... and sculpture. I know that when I manifest the visions in my mind's eye, many people will get to enjoy them.

What a day!
You're worth it, unlike a certain 'guy from somewhere' who's hosting griftcast tonight.

GravitySucks

I really hope you BellGabbers will consider helping Mr. Fidget. We can make a difference in this man's life. He PMed me earlier and said that he has received a few donations, but I know that we have big hearts. Let's show what we got.

73s

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 08, 2016, 08:11:27 PM
I really hope you BellGabbers will consider helping Mr. Fidget. We can make a difference in this man's life. He PMed me earlier and said that he has received a few donations, but I know that we have big hearts. Let's show what we got.

Great idea GS. And nice to hear Mr. Fidget calling into the Gabcast tonight!

Quote from: cosmic hobo on April 08, 2016, 03:31:48 PM
I propose a forum name change to griftgab.com.

Panhandle.com

I'm not sure what to make of this.  Anyone who gets into art as a profession must be aware that it's a poorly paid gig for almost everyone.  This isn't going to be the last time the hat is passed for this guy.

On the other hand, there's some dipshits here who actually give Falkie money, or claim to.  As long as the suckers are there to milk, it might as well be by someone who is actually working.

Here's a picture from the gofundme site.  The "starving artist" is shown on the right. 

Mr. Fidget

First a micro cut of Salvador Dali's "Soft self portrait", me (in the negative) balancing on a rail, & some of my art in a local art supply store.
For those than help, thanks!
And those that don't, thanks... anyway.
:)

GravitySucks

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on April 08, 2016, 08:24:08 PM
Panhandle.com

I'm not sure what to make of this.  Anyone who gets into art as a profession must be aware that it's a poorly paid gig for almost everyone.  This isn't going to be the last time the hat is passed for this guy.

On the other hand, there's some dipshits here who actually give Falkie money, or claim to.  As long as the suckers are there to milk, it might as well be by someone who is actually working.

Here's a picture from the gofundme site.  The "starving artist" is shown on the right. 

I can understand any skepticism. I have spoken with Shaz and I understand what he is trying to do. This isn't him panhandling or grifting.

He started the gofundme site and it wasn't going anywhere. This is a thread I Started to try and help someone that seems to be trying to help himself.

Mr. Fidget did not even know I Was starting this thread. I chose to do it, because he seems to be trying to achieve something reasonable to become a useful member of society. He wants to get out of LA and move to Eugene, Oregon. For some reason, he struck a chord with me, and I am trying to help make that happen.

He is not like Falkie at all. He wants to work. He wants to make and sell his art. He has a plan, but that plan is going to take a few dollars to help him along. I am unemployed, with no benefits, but his story touched my heart, so I carved out some money to try and make a difference.

Mr. Fidget

A quote from a great book, "Make Art Make Money" by Elizabeth Hyde Stevens

"We accept the victory of money over art and welcome the artist’s destruction in righteous, sulky pessimism."

http://marketingtrw.com/blog/make-art-make-money-by-elizabeth-hyde-stevens-book-review-highlights/

A few more pics:

coaster

find a coffee shop looking for a logo. this is a million dollars right here. Looks like a drop of coffee falling into a cup. though I've been drinking, maybe I'm interpreting it wrong. . I think it's great though.

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 08, 2016, 08:54:07 PM
I can understand any skepticism. I have spoken with Shaz and I understand what he is trying to do. This isn't him panhandling or grifting.

He started the gofundme site and it wasn't going anywhere. This is a thread I Started to try and help someone that seems to be trying to help himself.

Mr. Fidget did not even know I Was starting this thread. I chose to do it, because he seems to be trying to achieve something reasonable to become a useful member of society. He wants to get out of LA and move to Eugene, Oregon. For some reason, he struck a chord with me, and I am trying to help make that happen.

He is not like Falkie at all. He wants to work. He wants to make and sell his art. He has a plan, but that plan is going to take a few dollars to help him along. I am unemployed, with no benefits, but his story touched my heart, so I carved out some money to try and make a difference.

Being a professional artist is like being a professional golfer.  You can only make enough to support yourself at the very top end of the profession.  For every golfer who makes the cut at a tournament, there are thousands of Tin Cups living in a trailer and scratching out an existence as the "club pro" at some ramshackle driving range. 

Fidget's art isn't good enough to provide him with a living.  Note that I didn't say it was bad.  I have a girlfriend who is an artist.  She is exceptionally talented.  She has a distinctive style, an MFA degree, she wins prizes at art exhibits and is mentored by art professors and has had shows.  After ten years of schooling and learning and growing, she still sells her work only rarely.  Certainly not close to paying for her materials, much less making a living. 

Fidget's art is craft art, nice enough, but will never provide him with a living wage.  He's not making a living wage now, yet his plan is to go to Oregon and incur expenses for rent and what not by opening a studio.  It's not going to work.  He should instead be learning a trade that he can use to get a job and pursue his art in his spare time. 

Some of you are reading this and thinking that I'm a dream-smashing asshole.  Actually, I'm being more supportive of him than those of you offering nice words and a few dollars.  His plan will not work, and he'll simply be stranded in Oregon, no different than now other than some number of months older.  He'll still be broke and will still need financial assistance to do anything.  If he learns a portable trade, he can live anywhere and continue to pursue his dream while supporting himself in the process.

The reason his gofund appeal is not working is not because it doesn't have enough visibility.  It's because it is little different than hundreds of other people who are panhandling so that they can pursue their preferred lifestyle.  Calling it by another name might be a well-meant self-delusion, but it will affect few others (and it's the same self-delusion Falkie engages in, by the way).  If you said something like, "I want to learn PHP and MySQL so that I can make a living building web sites while pursuing my dream of being a professional artist" you might get more help.  THAT is a realistic plan, and it might be different enough to attract some support.

Or maybe not.  And speaking here to GS, emotional appeals -- however well-intended -- to "opening your hearts" by helping a "starving artist" become a "productive member of society" when that person is clearly not starving and whose goal is exceedingly unlikely to make him self-supporting is only going to get sympathy support, the bum change that's tossed into plastic cups.  Your support of Fidget is admirable, but people generally shy away from being guilt-tripped, and your appeal to Bellgabbers (unlike his gofund page) bends in that direction. 

Doubling down on a gofund appeal that isn't working is a losing play.  Rethink things and try something different.   

coaster

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on April 08, 2016, 11:27:45 PM
Being a professional artist is like being a professional golfer.  You can only make enough to support yourself at the very top end of the profession. 
Think so? I was a freelance artist for nearly a decade and made more than what many people are making now with "regular" jobs. Many folks are illustrators, design makers, and make far more than painters and "professional artists". My ex illustrated a few children books.
Once I started my own company, which had nothing to do with art, I replied to at least a few emails a week with bands and people asking if they could use my work. I just gave it to them. For free.
You may just be talking straight out of your ass. You are not an artist yourself. Maybe your girlfriend is not networking right. Advertising. Or maybe her shit sucks? Who knows.
I like you bud, but seriously, right out of your ass. Your talk.

GravitySucks

Being a professional artist is ...

Fidget's art isn't good enough to provide him with a living.  ...

Fidget's art is craft art, ...

Your support of Fidget is admirable, but people generally shy away from being guilt-tripped, and your appeal to Bellgabbers (unlike his gofund page) bends in that direction. 

Doubling down on a gofund appeal that isn't working is a losing play.  Rethink things and try something different.

Well you certainly showed interest by spending that much time on a post. You don't know Mr. fidget, so you don't know if he is starving or not.

I've talked to him at length, and while I can't say I know him, I have at least tried to get to know him.

He has plans and possible orders for fidgets, but he needed to get his tools and materials to fill any possible orders before he could commit to them

His art is unique, but there are fidgets that can be sold as trinkets and then there is more complex sculptures and mat art, that like you say, may be harder to sell. But Fidget sales will help fund his "art hobby" like you said.

I do what I can for the homeless in my area, and while I can't do something for every homeless person, I can try and do something for this one.

If it's not for you, so be it. And "tugging at heartstrings". Yeah, that is exactly what I was doing. The gofundme campaign wasn't working fo him, so I did try another approach, just like you suggested.

coaster

Fidget's art isn't good enough to provide him with a living.  Note that I didn't say it was bad.  I have a girlfriend who is an artist.  She is exceptionally talented.  She has a distinctive style, an MFA degree, she wins prizes at art exhibits and is mentored by art professors and has had shows.  After ten years of schooling and learning and growing, she still sells her work only rarely. 
I'm sure shes glad that you like her work, bud. Maybe instead of shitting on people because you're trying to protect your gf, push her into something else. Does she do traditional art? I've seen folks who are shit with traditional go to digital and they make thousands. and vice versa. I'm sure her career will pick up bud.

coaster

The irony of a non-artist being an art critic. Isn't that how it goes? "I know an artist, so your art sucks" pfft.

coaster

Do you know how many master painters never sold a painting in their lifetime, and now they are worth millions?
because people bitched. arm chair critics. it is a wonderful world isnt it? shitting on someone who is expressing themselves? its easier bitching than doing it yourself.

Mr. Fidget

Being a "working artist" who has practiced his art for more than 20 years, building on the experience of each day... I have had enough of those experiences to have more than a dozen art "endorsements" on linkedin. I'm not really seeking validation for my art here at bellgab.
   Having also interfaced with the "art seeking" public in Venice for decades, on and off, I have stood toe-to-toe with millions of people for more than a thousand accumulated days.  I have a pretty good idea what can be accomplished with art. I know my art is in the hands & homes of tens of thousands of people, and is so marketable that there are whole websites who copy my work. I'll do just fine in my new studio, know it.
   I do sincerely recommend that book I posted here a few posts ago, because it is a great exploration of the "art vs. business" dichotomy. If you like what I'm doing and want to help, please do. If not, well thanks for your consideration, and stay tuned because I'm about to generate a bunch of fun, informative, and useful content... as art.

Nobody will need to support my efforts to enjoy them.

albrecht

Quote from: coaster on April 09, 2016, 12:46:06 AM
Do you know how many master painters never sold a painting in their lifetime, and now they are worth millions?
because people bitched. arm chair critics. it is a wonderful world isnt it? shitting on someone who is expressing themselves? its easier bitching than doing it yourself.
True, and also what is always sort of a surprise to me, that many of the now famous painters that get $$$ post death produced LOTSA stuff. Many of which might have been painted over by themselves, thrown away, painted over by others, etc. Not only Mr.Fidget has some amazing stuff and also he is a big part of the Art Bell show (some of the greatest radio shows ever and could call in at will due to manipulations of phone system.) He needs to get his stuff into galleries or art shows. I've seen so much worse crap in those (I know "matter of opinion.") I think GS is really doing a good thing doing this campaign.

coaster

Years ago, I was struggling as an artist. Could'nt sell my shit for anything. Saw a new story about a fella selling art in Florida. They did a news reomote in his mansion, next to his poolt able. He was "the greatest artist ever in Florida". The picture hanging on the wall was mine. Come to find out, he stole art from online, and sold it as his. Made millions.
We had a class action lawsuit. Dozens od lawyers. HUndred artists. We saw nothing. Because online copyright bullshit. This is why I flipped out week or so ago about forums saying they own copyrights.
Art is subjective, and in being so, everyone has a right to say it sucks. Good job. But you , as critics, have a job to do to. Swallow pride and bias and see talent where talent lies.  You cannot shit on someone because of other bullshit you may have experienced. Ive seen it too. Girlfriends, theft.
I have over a hundred paintings sitting in my basement. I had a few art shows in my time. I have never once shit on someone because my girlfriend bitched at me about not having any sales....
dps, your bullshit dont fly on this subject kiddo.

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on April 09, 2016, 01:04:16 AM
I know my art is in the hands & homes of tens of thousands of people, and is so marketable that there are whole websites who copy my work.

Well, now I'm confused.  I thought you were asking for donations.

You seem much more sane and intelligent than some who are supporting you.  Whatever path you decide to take, I hope it works out for you.  Good luck.

coaster

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on April 09, 2016, 01:34:26 AM

You seem much more sane and intelligent than some who are supporting you. 
Honestly?
Well bless your heart. I'd love to argue with you tomorrow. My hangover. Your intelligence bud. I had no idea you were so bitter.
blow me. I hope your woman's fingerpaints buy you a future. Until our next fight, cheerios.

Quote from: coaster on April 09, 2016, 01:20:56 AM
Years ago, I was struggling as an artist. Could'nt sell my shit for anything. Saw a new story about a fella selling art in Florida. They did a news reomote in his mansion, next to his poolt able. He was "the greatest artist ever in Florida". The picture hanging on the wall was mine. Come to find out, he stole art from online, and sold it as his. Made millions.
We had a class action lawsuit. Dozens od lawyers. HUndred artists. We saw nothing. Because online copyright bullshit. This is why I flipped out week or so ago about forums saying they own copyrights.
Art is subjective, and in being so, everyone has a right to say it sucks. Good job. But you , as critics, have a job to do to. Swallow pride and bias and see talent where talent lies.  You cannot shit on someone because of other bullshit you may have experienced. Ive seen it too. Girlfriends, theft.
I have over a hundred paintings sitting in my basement. I had a few art shows in my time. I have never once shit on someone because my girlfriend bitched at me about not having any sales....
dps, your bullshit dont fly on this subject kiddo.

While we're on the subject of straight talk, you are an alcoholic who becomes bellicose and drunk-dials while intoxicated.  I'm sure you are alienating people on line with this behaviour; and I suspect that you're doing the same in your real life.  I hope that you seek out some help to overcome this problem before you destroy your health and your life.

GravitySucks

You seem much more sane and intelligent than some who are supporting you.  Whatever path you decide to take, I hope it works out for you.  Good luck.
You are confused because you jumped to too many conclusions.

Mr. Fidget's gofundme page has donation amounts along with "awards" of fidgets and artwork based on the level donated. Not really a donation.

Mr. Fidget's cash.me account can be used to donate smaller amounts, but those are just donations.

Mr. Fidget didn't start this thread. I did to try and help the guy out.

If it is not for you, then move along. I don't need a psychology lesson on how best to help the homeless.

I am trying to help one person. I put my money where my mouth was before I ever asked for any assistance from the rest of the BellGab community.

Don't take yourself so seriously. We don't.

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: coaster on April 08, 2016, 09:32:55 PM
find a coffee shop looking for a logo. this is a million dollars right here. Looks like a drop of coffee falling into a cup. though I've been drinking, maybe I'm interpreting it wrong. . I think it's great though.
When I cut that little image I was trying to do it in "one line". I think I added the light on the drop as an afterthought. Thanks for the compliment.

Although I was only three when the album came out, I'm going need to bring into "field of view" some Firesign Theater here...

I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus.

GravitySucks

gofundme.com/amshaz

Respectfully,
GravitySucks.

So far a handful of people have stepped forward and donated and I am extremely grateful. This is something I started, not Mr. Fidget. Is there anyone else that can help so we can get this guy out of the ranks of the homeless in LA and up to Eugene, Oregon where we can make fidgets and art work?

Thanks

akwilly

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 10, 2016, 05:12:07 AM
So far a handful of people have stepped forward and donated and I am extremely grateful. This is something I started, not Mr. Fidget. Is there anyone else that can help so we can get this guy out of the ranks of the homeless in LA and up to Eugene, Oregon where we can make fidgets and art work?

Thanks
the general musings of Fidget?