• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Mandela Effect strikes again

Started by Inglorious Bitch, February 19, 2016, 09:39:12 PM

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Mandela Effect, but this is a series of memories shared by a large swath of the population pertaining to a person or event that is in direct opposition to the actual events as recorded in this timeline. I first became aware of this phenomenon when many people on different CT forums were saying that they remembered Nelson Mandela dying in prison. Nelson was alive at the time and so I thought these people were crazy or confusing Nelson Mandela with someone else who had died. However, too many people remembered this event for it to be a coincidence or for them all to be confused, especially as they all seemed to remember the exact same event.

Then The Berenstein Bears became a Mandela Effect topic. Most people remember the Berenstein Bears, but today they are known as The Berenstain Bears. Again, I thought that there must be a reasonable explanation such as the book company changed the name or the authors of the series did. Nope. It seems that they were always known as the Berenstain Bears. There have even been some people who remember them as The Berenstein Bears, who have checked for old books in their attics and found that it says Berenstain.

Many people remember Spike from Gremlins movie, but it turns out his name is Stripe and always has been.

Anyone remember King Henry VIII with a turkey drumstick in his hand? That portrait never existed. At least not in this timeline.

Many (including myself) remember hearing of David Soul's death around Christmas time a few years ago, but it turns out that he is living in England and doing well.

Now, I am having a Mandela moment myself and want to see who else out there shares the memory with me. I remember there being a band called The Cowboy Junkies. I wasn't that familiar with their music, but knew of them. Then in the late '90's, Paula Cole blew up with her song Where Have All the Cowboys Gone. She had a few other hits from the same album. I remember hearing that Paula had been the original lead singer in the Cowboy Junkies before striking it out on her own. I even remember an NPR music show in the past 3-4 years that either interviewed Paula Cole or the band Cowboy Junkies and again it was mentioned that Paula had been the original lead singer.

Well,, last week I was posting videos and someone posted a Cowboy Junkie video (akwilly) and I was going to post how much I loved Paula Cole, except I figured that she had been out of the band for so long, that a Paula Cole reference relating to that band would no longer be very relevant. I then searched Google to see when she had left the band and was shocked to find that as per Google, she was never in the band and someone named Margot Timmins has always been lead.

I have Googled variations of "Paula Cole", "The Cowboy Junkies", "Paula Cole's first band", etc. but I keep coming up with she was never in the band. And no, I am not confusing Where Have All the Cowboys Gone with The Cowboy Junkies because they both have the word "cowboy" in them. Anyone else member her being in the band years ago?

http://mandelaeffect.com/major-memories

Jackstar

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 19, 2016, 09:39:12 PM
Paula Cole,

I remember her, but not well enough to corroborate your story.

However, just in the last 24 hours, I had the experience of remembering that Isaac Newton invented chocolate milk. Something caused me to re-research this fact, as I wanted to link to a source, and discovered that in the universe I'm currently in, it was not Isaac Newton who is credited with this invention--it's some other guy, the guy who replaced Newton as the head of some college.

I distinctly remember researching this exact fact last year. I didn't know who invented chocolate milk, I read on the Internet "Isaac Newton," and there were multiple links supporting that. Today, I went and looked, and none of those links are found--it's all about some other guy now.

It's spooky. Whether or not I am wrong in my recollection or perception, the disparity exists.

I'm not including any links in this post, as I don't care to participate any further in the unravelling of reality.

Quote from: Jackstar on February 19, 2016, 09:50:02 PM

I'm not including any links in this post, as I don't care to participate any further in the unravelling of reality.

Yeah, reality is like a sweater and if we keep pulling at the string and unraveling it, there's no telling what will happen.

Jackstar

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 19, 2016, 09:52:54 PM
there's no telling what will happen.

Well, it'd waste my time, for starters!

If it's a thing, someone else will remember it as well. I can't testify that I was 100% correct in the first place, only that I thought I was. Thinking that something is science, isn't science.

Quote from: Jackstar on February 19, 2016, 09:55:21 PM
Thinking that something is science, isn't science.

No, but memories are memories. It's like finding out that Harrison Ford was never in Star Wars and it was some other actor. But you remember what you remember.

Jackstar

I totally remember reading that Isaac Newton invented chocolate milk. That's totally not what last night's Googling resulted in.

That's as far as I can certify at the present time. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go put eggs in my chicken soup. That's still a thing here, right?? It better be.

Quote from: Jackstar on February 19, 2016, 09:55:21 PM
Well, it'd waste my time, for starters!

If it's a thing, someone else will remember it as well. I can't testify that I was 100% correct in the first place, only that I thought I was. Thinking that something is science, isn't science.

If it's any help, I know for a fact Newton invented these after getting hit on the head by a falling apple.  Go figure.

albrecht

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 19, 2016, 09:56:57 PM
No, but memories are memories. It's like finding out that Harrison Ford was never in Star Wars and it was some other actor. But you remember what you remember.
Wait, what??!
Btw I recall the band and song but not the effect and never was into them. But did think Mandela died and for sure about Berenstein! When it became a subject of discussion I even went and looked at old books and, yep, spelled with the "A." Proof, as some claim, of some multi-verse glitch because I never recalled it being spelled that way!!! :o

Quote from: albrecht on February 19, 2016, 10:16:59 PM
Wait, what??!
Btw I recall the band and song but not the effect and never was into them. But did think Mandela died and for sure about Berenstein! When it became a subject of discussion I even went and looked at old books and, yep, spelled with the "A." Proof, as some claim, of some multi-verse glitch because I never recalled it being spelled that way!!! :o

Do you remember comedian Sinbad being in a genie movie?

Quote from: albrecht on February 19, 2016, 10:16:59 PM
Proof, as some claim, of some multi-verse glitch because I never recalled it being spelled that way!!! :o

I don't know about "proof", but something weird is going on if so many people have memories of an event that never happened.

GravitySucks

Well once and for all, Abe Vigoda is dead. RIP

It had confused so many people that several websites like this were created.

http://isabevigodadead.com/

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 19, 2016, 10:23:50 PM
Well once and for all, Abe Vigoda is dead. RIP

It had confused so many people that several websites like this were created.

http://isabevigodadead.com/

I remember hearing about Abe and how so many people "remembered" his death yet he was still alive. I remember when Billy Graham died a few years ago. So do a lot of other people. Turns out he's alive.

akwilly

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 19, 2016, 10:31:16 PM
I remember hearing about Abe and how so many people "remembered" his death yet he was still alive. I remember when Billy Graham died a few years ago. So do a lot of other people. Turns out he's alive.
billy Graham is alive? Damn

GravitySucks

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 19, 2016, 10:31:16 PM

It is definitely a conundrum. The only common denominator in all of the timelines is the Cubs never win a World Series.

Quote from: akwilly on February 19, 2016, 10:32:46 PM
billy Graham is alive? Damn

Do you remember him dying or did you assume he was dead because you never hear about him anymore? I actually remember his death announced on the news.

albrecht

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 19, 2016, 10:21:08 PM
I don't know about "proof", but something weird is going on if so many people have memories of an event that never happened.
Yah. It is weird. I guess like urban myths. And now with internet maybe faster? Though the Mandela and Berenstein stuff was pre, or at least early, internet. My suspicion about the internet and instant looking up stuff and 'dumbing down' might be true, but that is another rant.  ;) How many phone numbers do you know now? Or ask a younger relative? At same age I knew numbers of so many people. Of course this could be, arguably be 'freeing up' our brains for other stuff but I suspect causing group-think and corralling thought/speculation down common pathways. Gone are the days of people in India, Britain, and Europe coming up with calculus, for example, via different methods because they'd all be 'connected' and start down similar pathways.

Uncle Duke

I experienced this first hand several years ago at an organizational Christmas party when a long time retiree many of us  were sure had died showed up for the party.  One of the long time secretaries almost fainted when he went over to speak with her. 

Jackstar

Irrespective of what exactly is going on, or what exactly is causing it, this effect is definitely occurring.

I would find that to be extremely interesting, except for the way it's also happening to me. I had several of those bear books when I was a kid. I remember Mandela dying earlier. I remember seeing reports of Mandela's death in the 90s. It doesn't feel warm and fuzzy, not one bit.

akwilly

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 19, 2016, 10:35:37 PM
Do you remember him dying or did you assume he was dead because you never hear about him anymore? I actually remember his death announced on the news.
I thought he died. I thought there was some debate about what to do with his property. I thought one of his kids was going to make some sort of bible themed amusement park. Weird stuff

albrecht

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 19, 2016, 10:19:26 PM
Do you remember comedian Sinbad being in a genie movie?
An odd one but I do recall some image with him in a genie-like hat. I never would watch any of his movies etc so not sure. Vaguely familiar. Maybe a commercial for something?

Quote from: albrecht on February 19, 2016, 10:51:34 PM
An odd one but I do recall some image with him in a genie-like hat. I never would watch any of his movies etc so not sure. Vaguely familiar. Maybe a commercial for something?

No, it seems many people remember Sinbad being in a genie movie, except this never happened. And, no, people are not confusing Shaq O'Neill with Sinbad. Shaq was in Shazzam, where he played a genie. I seem to remember a movie poster with Sinbad as a genie as well, but I have never been a big fan, so I also didn't watch the movie at the time. Now it seems Sinbad was never in a genie movie.

http://mandelaeffect.com/sinbad-as-a-genie

Robert

Colgate had a contest to guess the flavor of their forthcoming children's toothpaste.  The TV commercial teased a guess by playing a record of a song like "The Name Game" but with "blueberry" substituted for one of the names.

Years later I was looking for toothpaste that didn't burn my mouth.  My pharmacist bro-in-law had some sample-sized fruit-flavored children's toothpastes that I tried & liked, so I looked for something like that in stores.  (It was before Tom's of Maine's orange flavored one.)  I was sure Colgate had a blueberry-flavored one.  It took someone at Colgate to remind me of the sequence of events.  Oh.

Later I looked for vapes that weren't flavored like either dessert or tobacco.  Like meat-&-mushroom flavored vape.  Or garlic-flavored toothpaste.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 19, 2016, 10:37:10 PM
I experienced this first hand several years ago at an organizational Christmas party when a long time retiree many of us  were sure had died showed up for the party.  One of the long time secretaries almost fainted when he went over to speak with her.

Did he sneak up behind her and whisper in her ear?
QuoteI see dead people

Quote from: Robert on February 19, 2016, 10:57:58 PM
Years later I was looking for toothpaste that didn't burn my mouth.  My pharmacist bro-in-law had some sample-sized fruit-flavored children's toothpastes that I tried & liked, so I looked for something like that in stores.  (It was before Tom's of Maine's orange flavored one.)  I was sure Colgate had a blueberry-flavored one.  It took someone at Colgate to remind me of the sequence of events.  Oh.

Sure, there are plenty of times when we all get confused or weren't paying attention or just got the wrong end of the stick. But this is large numbers of people remembering something that didn't happen. They all have the same collective memory of something that didn't happen.

When I was a little kid, I remember hearing a lot of reports of this guy dying, but he appears to still be with us.  Or is that just what the PTB want us to believe?  If you think you can handle the truth about the sinister deception known as The Beatles, you can read about it here. The ears and eyebrows are important. That's all I'm saying.

http://www.thebeatlesneverexisted.com

the_peeve

Sorry. I definitely remember Margot and her brother. From day one of that awesome band that broke out with that Lou Reed cover.

But it definitely spike on gremlins.

Quote from: the_peeve on February 19, 2016, 11:03:14 PM
Sorry. I definitely remember Margot and her brother. From day one of that awesome band that broke out with that Lou Reed cover.

Yeah, akwilly had said the same thing about Margot always being the lead singer. Except in my original timeline, if there is such a thing, Paula sang it! I know it sounds crazy, like those "remembering" Mandela dying in prison seemed crazy to me at first.  :(

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 19, 2016, 11:02:58 PM
When I was a little kid, I remember hearing a lot of reports of this guy dying, but he appears to still be with us.  Or is that just what the PTB want us to believe?  If you think you can handle the truth about the sinister deception known as The Beatles, you can read about it here. The ears and eyebrows are important. That's all I'm saying.

http://www.thebeatlesneverexisted.com

Well, those are clearly two different men.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 19, 2016, 10:58:28 PM
Did he sneak up behind her and whisper in her ear?

No exactly, but he walked up behind her and spoke her name, "Jewel". When she turned to see who had spoken to her, her mouth dropped open and she did the classic double take. She told us later she had thought she was going to faint.

Btw, he's history now without question, I went to his funeral to make sure this time.

the_peeve

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on February 19, 2016, 11:08:16 PM
Yeah, akwilly had said the same thing about Margot always being the lead singer. Except in my original timeline, if there is such a thing, Paula sang it! I know it sounds crazy, like those "remembering" Mandela dying in prison seemed crazy to me at first.  :(

Isn't this the same phenomenon of wrong lyrics? Could that be the same  with Spike on Gremlins? We just heard it wrong from day one.