• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Thomas Jefferson Hour with Clay Jenkinson

Started by GuerrillaUnReal, February 09, 2016, 12:59:08 PM

The Thomas Jefferson Hour
http://www.jeffersonhour.com/

QuoteThe Thomas Jefferson Hour is a syndicated public radio program and podcast produced in Bismarck, North Dakota. It features author-historian Clay S. Jenkinson in a first-person portrayal of Thomas Jefferson, the third US President, and is co-hosted by David Swenson.[3] Jenkinson remains in-character as Jefferson throughout the first half of the program, delivering monologues and answering listener questions regarding Jefferson's personal and political life and the history of early America. The character of Jefferson generally confines his discussion to matters of history, politics, and philosophy as indirect context for modern times, but at times provides a limited analysis of current events (carefully attempting to limit his analysis to matters on which the actual Jefferson's view might be meaningfully determined). In the second portion of the program, Jenkinson steps out of character to discuss his in-character answers during the first half of the show and also to talk generally about the topic of the episode.

Anyone else a fan of this show/podcast? It's been on for over a decade and I've learned so much from it. It's really given me an appreciation for being an American and the Revolutionary Generation.

Basically it's a radio show where historian and scholar Clay Jenkinson portrays Thomas Jefferson in character where he's interviewed about modern day stuff and his own time. It can be pretty dry but there's so many episodes on so many different things that even if you're mildly interested, you can find something up your alley.

I've been listening for so long that it kind of all runs together for me. But the best episodes to me are when he portrays his other characters. My two favorites are Teddy Roosevelt and Robert J. Oppenheimer.