Author Topic: One Hundred Years Ago  (Read 370631 times)

Re: One Hundred Years Ago
« Reply #7080 on: June 13, 2019, 01:36:04 AM »
I wonder if it also has to do with "safety in numbers." I have heard modern, local cops complain if they ride solo. They don't even want to pull over a motorist without a second cop for back-up. Maybe the sidecar guarantees that they both arrive at the exact same time, and that there is always somebody aware, with both hands available and at the ready.

Perhaps the whole "stability" thing was just a cover story?
In the old days, it was always two cops to a patrol vehicle.  I felt upset when that changed.  It's just wrong.

« Reply #7081 on: June 13, 2019, 01:41:09 AM »
I know, and apparently the dude failed to show up for the hearing.  I guess that's why the judge did that capias thing.  I noticed that the judge didn't scold the lady for threatening the perp's life.  Good for him.
Judges are very funny birds.  I had two civil cases in the same courthouse where the relevant facts were exactly the same.  One judge sided with me and shamed the perps.  The other judge did not side with me at all.  I asked her if she heard the last testimony the perps gave, and I repeated it to her.  She said she had not heard that, and she failed to review the audio.  She was crooked in spirit.

« Reply #7082 on: June 18, 2019, 03:00:52 AM »
From the Imperial War Museum, June 18, 1919.

Miss Margaret Wilson (President's daughter), Mrs Edith Wilson (wife), Captain Evans, President Woodrow Wilson and Mrs Brand Whitlock at Zeebrugge, 18 June 1919.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205324663 © IWM (Q 80029)

« Reply #7083 on: June 19, 2019, 08:06:42 PM »
From the Imperial War Museum, June 18, 1919.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205324663 © IWM (Q 80029)
Can you imagine? That wouldn't pass basic contractor hiring illegals framing standards due to potential liability. I love the one cross brace.   

Miss, who never married, got big time involved in Indian mysticism, particularly Sri Ramakrishna. 

« Reply #7084 on: June 19, 2019, 10:22:24 PM »
Can you imagine? That wouldn't pass basic contractor hiring illegals framing standards due to potential liability. I love the one cross brace.   

Miss, who never married, got big time involved in Indian mysticism, particularly Sri Ramakrishna. 

That stairway does look quite flimsy.  Wilson (in the light colored coat) had to have felt somewhat ill at ease going down it.  He couldn't have been in the best of health.  Didn't he suffer a stroke before heading back for home?

« Reply #7085 on: June 19, 2019, 10:29:16 PM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., June 19, 1919.

« Reply #7086 on: June 20, 2019, 02:58:09 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Rock Island Argus., June 19, 1919.

"Does work while sick." It sounds like he was just a little ahead of his time. Now it is almost an expectation of (some) companies. If you are well enough to be conscious, you are well enough to text, make calls, answer emails, place orders, finalize budgets and justify expenses.

I would say that it is not healthy at all to be that addicted to your job (and I say that as somebody who was that way for too long...)

« Reply #7087 on: June 20, 2019, 05:41:19 PM »
That stairway does look quite flimsy.  Wilson (in the light colored coat) had to have felt somewhat ill at ease going down it.  He couldn't have been in the best of health.  Didn't he suffer a stroke before heading back for home?
Apparently the stroke happened in DC but apparently the tour completely exhausted him.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/woodrow-wilson-suffers-a-stroke

« Reply #7088 on: June 20, 2019, 05:44:16 PM »
"Does work while sick." It sounds like he was just a little ahead of his time. Now it is almost an expectation of (some) companies. If you are well enough to be conscious, you are well enough to text, make calls, answer emails, place orders, finalize budgets and justify expenses.

I would say that it is not healthy at all to be that addicted to your job (and I say that as somebody who was that way for too long...)
I had the same thoughts.  One notices though that often those in high positions or successful recognize the problem of the 24/7 working and instant communication/access have staff, etc to take care of details otherwise you would waste the whole day just replying to emails etc and not get any real work done.

« Reply #7089 on: June 21, 2019, 03:31:12 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Seattle Star., June 21, 1919.

« Reply #7090 on: June 21, 2019, 05:11:20 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Seattle Star., June 21, 1919.

They didnít mess around back then. :D

« Reply #7091 on: June 21, 2019, 04:10:12 PM »

« Reply #7092 on: Yesterday at 02:32:50 AM »
From the Imperial War Museum, June 23, 1919.

Whole: the title occupies the majority of the upper three-quarters, in black. The text occupies the top edge and lower quarter, in black. Further text is positioned in the bottom right corner, in white, held within a red shield design. All set against a white background. image: text only. text: MONDAY, JUNE 23, 1919. WE WILL SIGN -GERMAN OFFICIAL Evening News LATE EXTRA
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/31304 © IWM (Art.IWM PST 13001)

« Reply #7093 on: Today at 03:33:13 AM »
From the Imperial War Museum, June 24, 1919.

The North Russia Intervention, 1918-1920.  The Commander in Chief, possibly General Frederick Cuthbert Poole, addressing Serbian troops prior to a medals ceremony, Medvedje-Gora, 24th June 1919.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205251489 © IWM (Q 16755)

« Reply #7094 on: Today at 03:42:56 AM »
the Imperial War Museum

Literally fake and gay.