• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Video Gaming

Started by trostol, December 20, 2015, 02:08:47 AM

zeebo

I've always been curious about Crusader Kings 2, with it's rep of being a crazy deep strategy game.  Found this guy's tutorial series which have simultaneously intrigued me and intimidated me about ever trying it lol.  I find it stunning that a game of such complexity can even be designed much less implemented.  Just trying to understand how to play it is hard enough.   :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAvJJuv1hvM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: comaphobe on April 06, 2017, 01:24:36 AM
Ace Combat had atleast 3 titles for PS2;

Ace Combat 4, Shattered Skies
Ace Combat 5, The Unsung War
Ace Combat 0, The Belkan War

They were released in that order. I didn't play The Belkan War, I bet it was awesome though because Ace Combat 4 was very fun and was A+. Up a notch from PS1. Ace Combat 5 was even better than 4. and there was a flightstick built for that one that connected to PS2 via USB. I regretted not getting the flightstick package because that game in particular ended up being my favorite Ace Combat of the ones that I have played. It was more integrated than previous games and I think had even more licensed aircraft than ever before.

There were also the 2 games for PSP;

Ace Combat X
Ace Combat | Joint Assault

Both of these games are great, and I would assume any serious criticism of them would be towards control schemes. Both were excellent games, but maintaining control was extremely difficult. High stress. With the limited and asymmetrical set of controls of the PSP, default game controls are kind of redundant / destined for failure. So in both games the controls were 100% customizable, as if you were calibrating a controller for an emulator. I think I remapped every single button in both games too. I haven't played either in a while, but in order to have L1 and R1 be YAW left and right, I had to completely shakeup the entire control scheme and I think I had to completely dispose of the most superficial command, which was possibly the camera toggle. It's very political and stressful. But once you get past that, these 2 games are very impressive on a small screen.

I just picked up a used PSPGo not too long ago. I am really liking it and am using it as my go-to PSP. There is no UMD drive so I just use it to play eboots of just my top favs. I think I am up to 12 or 13 PSPs now but I still can't find an acceptable metallic green Metal Gear one or an affordable lilac purple Hannah Montana one. There was also a bronze one that is near impossible to locate. I have some strange colored ones that were from the Japan market but the bronze one is extremely evasive.

I think I have accumulated about 5 pounds of expired PSP batteries since 2007. That is from them sitting too long. I even had 4 official Sony XLs that I paid retail costs for each one and they all swelled from sitting too long. I try and keep them all in rotation now and don't let them sit too long without a charge but it gets confusing. Plus the 1000 and 2000/3000 batteries are rated different from one another, and sometimes I'm using a beater that doesn't take a particular battery. The great responsibility of PSP battery management. I wonder if Sony still sell the refurbished XL batteries. Mine lasted about 8-12 consecutive hours with UMD running and casual internetting going, which is a little more than twice a long as the standard battery that came with the units would last. These were almost twice as thick and required a supplied oversized replacement battery cover that could accommodate the size.

I used to rest assured knowing that if the power went out again, I would be good for about 3 consecutive days of pure blackout. Plus I do like taking long train trips and although they have AC outlets on board I like to live the PSP life as a sovereign.

I don't trust third party batteries. I used a fake battery once and that PSP ended up in my dead pile. It was pristine shape with almost no usage, and was my only black 3000, I blame shitty fake Chinese battery. ; D

The stress of battery expiration. You must not neglect the 3.6v 1200mAh. Nothing more annoying than having to play a PSP while it is wired to a wall outlet. LOL. A couple of my PSPs don't even have batteries anymore because they sat too long and ballooned like crazy.

I still have never ventured into PS2 or 3 yet. One day there'll be an offer I can't refuse, I'm sure. I'm still lusting after getting a Vita when they drop in price a little more. I'm hoping the emu scene is as wide open for that as it is for the PSP.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 06, 2017, 01:25:31 AM
Ian was diagnosed with some rare disease where his nerve endings extending into his stomach became meshed into some of the muscle tissue. It's very painful, apparently. He's really NOT being a snowflake, though his politics are definitely a little reactionary sometimes.  ;)

Wow, and here I was guessing GERD. Poor guy.  :(

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 06, 2017, 01:28:48 AM
I still have never ventured into PS2 or 3 yet. ...

PS2 was my fave console of all time.  Some great games on that one.  And it played PS1 games too with the right memory card.   

Taaroa

I think I have accumulated about 5 pounds of expired PSP batteries since 2007. That is from them sitting too long. I even had 4 official Sony XLs that I paid retail costs for each one and they all swelled from sitting too long. I try and keep them all in rotation now and don't let them sit too long without a charge but it gets confusing. Plus the 1000 and 2000/3000 batteries are rated different from one another, and sometimes I'm using a beater that doesn't take a particular battery. The great responsibility of PSP battery management. I wonder if Sony still sell the refurbished XL batteries. Mine lasted about 8-12 consecutive hours with UMD running and casual internetting going, which is a little more than twice a long as the standard battery that came with the units would last. These were almost twice as thick and required a supplied oversized replacement battery cover that could accommodate the size.

I used to rest assured knowing that if the power went out again, I would be good for about 3 consecutive days of pure blackout. Plus I do like taking long train trips and although they have AC outlets on board I like to live the PSP life as a sovereign.

I don't trust third party batteries. I used a fake battery once and that PSP ended up in my dead pile. It was pristine shape with almost no usage, and was my only black 3000, I blame shitty fake Chinese battery. ; D

The stress of battery expiration. You must not neglect the 3.6v 1200mAh. Nothing more annoying than having to play a PSP while it is wired to a wall outlet. LOL. A couple of my PSPs don't even have batteries anymore because they sat too long and ballooned like crazy.

Crap, I think my original PSP has sat idle for years now. Have been meaning recently to get a new external hdd and to try backing up my games electronically and to give emulation a whirl, which I assume needs a running console at least for the ripping.

Taaroa

Quote from: zeebo on April 06, 2017, 01:32:29 AM
PS2 was my fave console of all time.  Some great games on that one. 
Okami was a great game, if a bit unappreciated. Can't find any gameplay videos of it without some ass talking over it.

Ace Combat 0, The Belkan War

Last PS2 game I bought was actually this in 2015 in some tiny retro game store where no one spoke english. Still haven't played it.

zeebo

Quote from: Taaroa on April 06, 2017, 01:56:57 AM
Okami was a great game, if a bit unappreciated. Can't find any gameplay videos of it without some ass talking over it.

Yes that one had a unique feel to it.  Kind of dream-like in the way Ico and SOTC were.  The first time I played Deus Ex was on the PS2 port, and it's still my all-time fave game.  Also loved Burnout: Takedown - my fave racing game ever.  Resident Evil 4, Onimusha 2, Beyond Good and Evil, GTA Vice City, and others ...

Taaroa

Quote from: zeebo on April 06, 2017, 02:05:42 AM
Yes that one had a unique feel to it.  Kind of dream-like in the way Ico and SOTC were.

I really want to play Shadow of the Colossus, but have never found a copy in a store...

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on April 06, 2017, 02:14:48 AM
I really want to play Shadow of the Colossus, but have never found a copy in a store...

Yeah, that and Ico seem to be two of the bigger titles (pun unavoidable). I'm also intrigued by the Yakuza series.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on April 06, 2017, 02:05:42 AM
Yes that one had a unique feel to it.  Kind of dream-like in the way Ico and SOTC were.  The first time I played Deus Ex was on the PS2 port, and it's still my all-time fave game.  Also loved Burnout: Takedown - my fave racing game ever.  Resident Evil 4, Onimusha 2, Beyond Good and Evil, GTA Vice City, and others ...

I think the Burnout series is my absolute favorite racing game series. So much great racing and mayhem! I love it! I still really like the linked arcade version of Daytona USA though. Harder to find that these days though.

Taaroa

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 06, 2017, 02:24:52 AM
I'm also intrigued by the Yakuza series.
I hear it's good if a bit strange. I'd love for a proper GTA game to be set somewhere outside America for once, and I think a Japanese setting would be perfect for it.

Started Sleeping Dogs a few weeks ago, but I don't really know if I'll return to it. It's an open world game where you play as an undercover cop in the Hong Kong triads, with an emphasis on kungfu style melee combat and combos.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on April 06, 2017, 02:58:23 AM
I hear it's good if a bit strange. I'd love for a proper GTA game to be set somewhere outside America for once, and I think a Japanese setting would be perfect for it.

Started Sleeping Dogs a few weeks ago, but I don't really know if I'll return to it. It's an open world game where you play as an undercover cop in the Hong Kong triads, with an emphasis on kungfu style melee combat and combos.

Sounds like Yakuza.

comaphobe

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 06, 2017, 01:28:48 AM
I still have never ventured into PS2 or 3 yet. One day there'll be an offer I can't refuse, I'm sure. I'm still lusting after getting a Vita when they drop in price a little more. I'm hoping the emu scene is as wide open for that as it is for the PSP.

I'm eyeballing Vita as well but will probably just buy a used one when the time comes. Plus there are multiple versions and I don't know what one is preferred and for what reasons. I think the original non-slim one was LED screen and the others were not(?) I am very confused. Anyways, I would like to play any Hot Shots Golf games that were available for it, as well as Metal Gear Solid 3 HD remaster thing which looked absolutely awful for 3DS.

I think Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2) is my favorite game of all time. I owned 3 different versions of the PS2 one. I also like the 2nd one a lot for PS2, which was the reason I got a PS2 to begin with. I played the original one for PS1 by accident when my sister in law loaned it to me. I was like 'uhhh.. no i dont think this kind of game is for me.." She was a little pushy but I reluctantly played it. It blew me the fuck away how great it was and how character development as well as a story like that could be told though a game. Previous to that I had only played Resident Evil (PS1) but the voice acting was hideous in those. MGS had actual life. Bad voice acting aside, those Resident Evil games were really great until they turned into shooters. I have only played the original trilogy for PS1, as well as Code Veronica for PS2 (which I never finished).

I have never really seen or played a PS3 or PS4. I would own one for the sake of continuing with anything related to Hot Shots Golf or Ace Combat games though. I love both of those series.

Quote from: zeebo on April 06, 2017, 01:32:29 AM
PS2 was my fave console of all time.  Some great games on that one.  And it played PS1 games too with the right memory card.   

PS2 was excellent, and is also my favorite console of all time. The catalog was amazing, there were so many awesome games. I originally had a FAT one and then it died or had disk read error and so I got a PS2 Slim. I liked how you could play PS1 games on it, but you did need to have a PS1 memory card to save any PS1 game progress.

The only things that I did not like about the PS2 were the fact that you could not easily copy data from memory card unless it was internally on the unit itself, between 2 memory cards. To copy savedata and upload it to a PC or file host takes serious skill to accomplish, even in 2017. The PSP easily plugged it into a computer's USB port and then acted as a portable harddrive, making gamesave data easy to backup, copy, transfer, share, etc. Doing this on a PS2 was not happening without some serious effort. Anyways, that was my only gripe about the PS2 and overall it was a great system and I wore my Slim out while I lived in the middle of the cold arctic Rockies in the mid 2000s bored out of my fucking skull.

I accumulated about 40-50 or so games, which I still have. Most of my dedicated playtime was dedicated to just a shortlist. I probably spent the most hours with Ace Combat 5, GTA San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 as well as the enhanced re-releases of both of those. The 2nd 2 disc version of MGS3 had an online mode, although it only lasted about 12 months. I also played Hot Shots Fore! a lot and it's online mode lasted about 5 years. SSX3 was another that I spent a ton of hours playing, it was an amazing snowboarding game and my personal favorite of the series, plus it had an online mode as well that was in service for about 2 years. I played MVP 2004 (MLB) a lot. I was a couple of seasons into my franchise mode. I was using the Chicago Cubs.

I haven't seen or touched a PS2 in about 9-10 years. I had to abandon mine in 2007 or 2008. I still have my 8 gig memory card though, and one day will continue where I left off. I owned/still own a handful of games that were totally unplayed. I never had time to play some of them and before I knew it I had no available PS2 console. It's literally been a decade already.

Quote from: Taaroa on April 06, 2017, 01:49:06 AM
Crap, I think my original PSP has sat idle for years now. Have been meaning recently to get a new external hdd and to try backing up my games electronically and to give emulation a whirl, which I assume needs a running console at least for the ripping.

Do you mean ripping UMDs and then turning them into ISO or signed EBOOT?

Also, anybody know of a good way to emulate PS1 on a PSP? I think my most compatible PSP has 6.60 PRO-B or C. I have another one that came with M33 but I don't know if that is still useful in 2017. I am not too fluent with PSP hax culture as I have typically used official firmware on straight out of the box PSP slims, but signed eboots play fine on any unhacked PSP as long as it's got official 6.39 or lower. Most homebrew and emulators will also play without any problems, and this is why I have not previously explored CFW. I have a red God of War PSP that has 6.60 PRO but haven't taken advantage of the possibilities yet. I would like to play the original Resident Evil Trilogy and first Metal Gear Solid game on the PSP. I may just purchase them from PSN and download them on PC then transfer to PSP. PSP doesn't even connect to the Sony store anymore you need a PS4 or computer. What a pain in the cunt.

Taaroa

Quote from: comaphobe on April 06, 2017, 03:10:35 AM
Do you mean ripping UMDs and then turning them into ISO or signed EBOOT?
Whatever works, haven't really looked into it too hard yet but PSP on PC emulation seems like it works pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhX-SjQse4Y

Built up a largish library of games for it, so I'd hate for them to be lost if the console is or gets bricked.

I think Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2) is my favorite game of all time.
Played the hd remaster of Snake Eater, and it's pretty excellent. Managed to get most of the outfits too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tnbtFzUZmo

comaphobe

Quote from: Taaroa on April 06, 2017, 02:58:23 AM

They had London 1969 for PS1. It was just an add-on/mod, but it was an official product by Rockstar.

Taaroa

Quote from: comaphobe on April 06, 2017, 03:22:21 AM
They had London 1969 for PS1. It was just an add-on/mod, but it was an official product by Rockstar.

I'd be very happy with a full 3D modern GTA game set in London.

And not meaning to be cruel in showing you this, but Konami is not focusing on proper games anymore. Just pachinko machines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVSRjJL1bv8

zeebo

...I think Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2) is my favorite game of all time. I owned 3 different versions of the PS2 one. I also like the 2nd one a lot for PS2, which was the reason I got a PS2 to begin with. ...

MGS3 was Snake Eater right?  Loved that game too.  The boss battle where you have to sneak up on that old sniper dude was one of my fave moments in any game, such a suspenseful challenge - and then I stole his bitchin rifle too lol!  The backstory was so cool even if I didn't understand all of it, not uncommon for Metal Gear games though.  MGS2 also had some very neat elements, but like others I was like "Where'd Snake go, and who's this blonde guy I'm supposed to be playing?"  Great stealth gameplay though, and graphics for the time.

comaphobe

Quote from: Taaroa on April 06, 2017, 03:22:19 AM

Played the hd remaster of Snake Eater, and it's pretty excellent. Managed to get most of the outfits too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tnbtFzUZmo

Black facepaint... I forget what it did. But I think I used Spirit Camo in order to get Raikov and stash him into the locker. I think brown facepaint increased oxygen level for underwater swimming... or was that green... I can't remember. I do know that the zombie paint was my favorite.

Volgin and Raikov were gay lovers. If you watch the bonus vids on the PS2's MGS3 Subsistance disc, there are a lot of funny videos with gags and inside jokes. Did they put the Secret Theater mode into the HD collection? In one video, Raiden (from MGS2) time travels into scenes from Snake Eater and creates time paradoxes. At one point Colonel Volgin thinks he is Raikov (because his face is identical) and attempts to rape him.

Quote from: Taaroa on April 06, 2017, 03:29:45 AM

And not meaning to be cruel in showing you this, but Konami is not focusing on proper games anymore. Just pachinko machines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVSRjJL1bv8

I just viewed this but am not sure exactly what I just watched. Is this promo for the JP version of HD Snake Eater? And what are Pachinko machines? Are they networked arcade cabinets like the ones they still do in Japan? The superimposed transparency resembles multiplayer cabinet or something.

I think Konami are going to crash the ship into the mountain. I suspect they already have. And Hideo Kojima left Konami a year or 2 ago. I think MGS is finished. The reviews for the last 2 "MGS" games were poor. The hack n slash with Raiden and the other recent not-Solid spinoff are such a niche offshoot that I don't know if they are even candidates.

I haven't followed much the past 5 or so years but it looks like the entire series has been beaten into the ground and the Konami/Kojima split is the cherry topping. Fans seem to be very displeased with MGS5, and MGS4 had already alienated people. I didn't play Guns of the Patriots but it's hard to ignore the negative feedback that game had. MGSforums was loaded with user criticism for many years and still is, and it's been going on a full 10 years since MGS4/PS3 and people are still bitter about that. It's like it was the turning point where a great thing started to go downhill. I don't know though, I haven't kept up with the series in a long time and haven't played any of the above, but people are not enthusiastic about any of the above MGS related games.

I couldn't finish Portable Ops because my attention span couldn't do it. But I played the MPO+ online mode and ranked very high and got a million headshots and earned a rank that only a hacker would have. I enjoyed MPO+ online, but the original core MPO and it's online mode sucked shit compared to the enhanced MPO+ suppliment. As a campaign, I was bored shitless through and through. It pains me to say that.

With Peace Walker, my PSP died early into the game and I aborted it with intention on restarting from scratch at some point at a later date, but that was 2 years ago now and still have yet to give it a proper playthrough. In general I had a hard time following that game too... Just way too much reading involved, and I am not a fan of that sketchy style of artwork. The crosshairs on the screen was the silliest fucking thing I had ever seen in a MGS game up until that point. I am almost scared to play any other MGS games at this point. I suspect MGS went the same direction as Star Wars, Terminator, or any series that used to have integrity but turned into silly franchised nonsense with a team of underachieving megalomaniac writers.

Quote from: zeebo on April 06, 2017, 03:57:52 AM
MGS3 was Snake Eater right?  Loved that game too.  The boss battle where you have to sneak up on that old sniper dude was one of my fave moments in any game, such a suspenseful challenge - and then I stole his bitchin rifle too lol!  The backstory was so cool even if I didn't understand all of it, not uncommon for Metal Gear games though.  MGS2 also had some very neat elements, but like others I was like "Where'd Snake go, and who's this blonde guy I'm supposed to be playing?"  Great stealth gameplay though, and graphics for the time.

THE END.. And his parrot... In an earlier scene in the game, you have the opportunity to blow his head off while he is in his wheelchair. I think he requires 2 headshots and if you miss one he gets cropped out and escapes quickly and the door closes behind him. If you do this I believe that his boss battle is replaced with the Ocelot unit in that one part of the jungle later on. I could be wrong but do know that I have killed him on the dock down by the river. It's possible that you don't get his weapon though. It's like the fake death pill in the prison cell. You aren't supposed to use that pill to lure Johnny into the cell, but haven't figured out how to escape the cell any other way. Back to the END, the battle with him was fun. That poisonous bolt that he would shoot, then you'd have to dig it out with a fork or whatever, otherwise you loose consciousness. Of all of the battles in that game, this might be the truest in terms of the stealth concept as well as utilizing the camo index. Later on during THE SORROW, you can see a ghost of him with his parrot saying "grandpa! grandpa!"

Also if you pause the game mid battle, or maybe save the game mid-battle then turn off console for X amount of clock/calendar time, The End dies of old age. It's possible you will not get the Mosin Nagant if you do this. I forget how to accomplish that, but Snake Eater has a ton of easter eggs like that. Even repeatedly calling people changes dialog.

With MGS2, The Raiden thing grew on me as I played through the first time. But it's almost like that character was designed to be hated, as if Raiden was the New Coke of MGS. I thought the game was so well done, that I looked past all of that. The first time I played it I was wondering when Snake would be back. I enjoyed exploring Big Shell though, and the boss battles were fun, although I don't know if I liked the villains in Sons of Liberty as much as I did the ones from MGS3. The original ending to MGS2 was to include the destruction of WTC and the game had to be tweaked at the last minute, as the story takes place later in the 2000s. I am not sure if the Solidus battle on the roof of Federal Hall was originally planned or this was part of the redo. I thought it was extremely weird to end the game in Manhattan like that, but then again that's where the story began -- With a false flag terrorism event. Tell me Hideo isn't an insider like Lucas and Speilberg and all these privvy people.

The game had shattering glass, shootable TVs, cold/flu... etc... different boxes with different purposes... Even shooting the birds was fun, call Rose after shooting seagulls and see what happens. Or call her while standing at a urinal. The easter eggs were all over the place. Playability in the game was much improved from the first MGS. I never did collect all of the dog tags though,  there were always 2 or 3 that I could not get for some reason.

Scissors 61.

FISSION MAILED.

Dr. MD MD

I'm eyeballing Vita as well but will probably just buy a used one when the time comes.

That's what I meant. I don't think you can still buy them new. However, even used they're still going for over a hundred. When I see them starting to sell for half of that with a bunch of games is when I'll get one. My main reason for wanting it is just the extra stick.

zeebo

Quote from: comaphobe on April 06, 2017, 05:40:32 AM
THE END.. And his parrot... In an earlier scene in the game, you have the opportunity to blow his head off while he is in his wheelchair. I think he requires 2 headshots and if you miss one he gets cropped out and escapes quickly and the door closes behind him. If you do this I believe that his boss battle is replaced with the Ocelot unit in that one part of the jungle later on.

This is definitely true since I did it by accident the first time through.  But then a FAQ I happened upon cautioned against it since you'd miss that cool boss battle with Endie.  So I went back to an earlier save point and let him live, so I could kick his ass later.

Later on during THE SORROW, you can see a ghost of him with his parrot saying "grandpa! grandpa!"

Haha that's great.  I so want to play that game again.  You're right about the easter eggs and such.  There's something about getting all the different kinds of snakes I think, and also collecting those little figurines hidden about.  Damn I've had two PS2's and each time I think I'm done and sell it, I end up wishing I had it back.

ShayP

Confession...  :-[

I still have a PS2.  Two games.  Occasionally I'll fire it up.  The one game I still play on it is 2006 FIFA World Cup.  Quite possibly my favorite game ever.   :D 8)

zeebo

Quote from: ShayP on April 06, 2017, 05:12:07 PM
Confession...  :-[

I still have a PS2.  Two games.  ...

Is your confession you only have two games? :P   :D  But yep some great sports games on that too.  I think it was TW Golf '04 which was my fave.  Cool courses and alot of fun.

ShayP

Quote from: zeebo on April 06, 2017, 05:31:05 PM
Is your confession you only have two games? :P   :D  But yep some great sports games on that too.  I think it was TW Golf '04 which was my fave.  Cool courses and alot of fun.

My confession was I still play a PS2.  LOL!  ;)  Plus, the WC game had everything from a great soundtrack to game play to team management, etc.  Overall, to me...best game.  :D

Taaroa

I just viewed this but am not sure exactly what I just watched. Is this promo for the JP version of HD Snake Eater? And what are Pachinko machines? Are they networked arcade cabinets like the ones they still do in Japan? The superimposed transparency resembles multiplayer cabinet or something.

I think Konami are going to crash the ship into the mountain. I suspect they already have. And Hideo Kojima left Konami a year or 2 ago. I think MGS is finished. The reviews for the last 2 "MGS" games were poor. The hack n slash with Raiden and the other recent not-Solid spinoff are such a niche offshoot that I don't know if they are even candidates.

I haven't followed much the past 5 or so years but it looks like the entire series has been beaten into the ground and the Konami/Kojima split is the cherry topping. Fans seem to be very displeased with MGS5, and MGS4 had already alienated people. I didn't play Guns of the Patriots but it's hard to ignore the negative feedback that game had. MGSforums was loaded with user criticism for many years and still is, and it's been going on a full 10 years since MGS4/PS3 and people are still bitter about that. It's like it was the turning point where a great thing started to go downhill. I don't know though, I haven't kept up with the series in a long time and haven't played any of the above, but people are not enthusiastic about any of the above MGS related games.
It's a promo for a new MGS3 themed pachinko cabinet for pachinko parlours in Japan. Basically like their local version of slot machines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iADzWQj4Qz0

People are pissed about the MGS3 one because of the high quality graphics made for promo footage of it, meanwhile Konami have basically stopped making proper videogames and caused problems with MGS5 and Silent Hill.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (hack n slash with Raiden) actually was received fairly positively by people, and was pretty unique with the physics engine and gameplay they implemented. Personally I struggle to play it because it's punishing on your hands.
I think for MGS 5 people are upset over what Konami did to it rather than what the game was under Kojima, and that a lot of it has to do with the game feeling unfinished. I can't really comment on that for myself as I haven't finished it, but the actual gameplay and environments were fairly solid. There's something appealing about driving a jeep into a soviet outpost in Afghanistan while Rebel Yell plays.

trostol

i have played about 15 minutes of BOTW on my pc...once CEMU gets it right that game is going to be outstanding

comaphobe

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 06, 2017, 12:47:32 PM
That's what I meant. I don't think you can still buy them new. However, even used they're still going for over a hundred. When I see them starting to sell for half of that with a bunch of games is when I'll get one. My main reason for wanting it is just the extra stick.

I didn't relize they stopped Vita. That is pathetic. LOL. Are you sure they aren't still selling the Slim one? I only just found out a few months ago that there even was a lighter one. I might start accumulating games soon and worry about getting a unit later. I often see Vita games for what seem to be affordable prices. I know there are about a half dozen games I would be interested in, mostly game series that I have previously followed. Not sure what is beyond that. And I don't have any idea how open the Vita is. It never interested me to even go poke around online and see what people have done to their Vitas. With PSP the homebrew market was vast and there was excitement for it. With Vita it was like a funeral from day one. I don't doubt it is probably nice, but there wasn't the same appreciation like people had with PSP, DS, or 3DS.

Quote from: zeebo on April 06, 2017, 05:07:54 PM
This is definitely true since I did it by accident the first time through.  But then a FAQ I happened upon cautioned against it since you'd miss that cool boss battle with Endie.  So I went back to an earlier save point and let him live, so I could kick his ass later.

Haha that's great.  I so want to play that game again.  You're right about the easter eggs and such.  There's something about getting all the different kinds of snakes I think, and also collecting those little figurines hidden about.  Damn I've had two PS2's and each time I think I'm done and sell it, I end up wishing I had it back.

The Keroten frogs... There was one I could never hit during the Motorcycle chase sequence. I think there are 3 or more to shoot in that whole segment where EVA is driving the bike while Snake is in the sidecar, and one was always an extremely hard shot which I never could do. I can't remember if I got the one after THE FURY battle somewhere before you climb the ladder. Even with the GA-KO camo, I could never see where the stupid frog was. I used C4, grenades, RPG, anything.. could not ever find it. Refused to do FAQ. I played the game through about 8 times on the original release, then another 12 or so in the Subsistence double disc version but never did get all of the frogs, always came up 2 short, and always the same two. In Sons of Liberty I had the same problem with collecting dogtags. In the rerelease deluxe Substance version of SOL I didn't even bother to collect dogtags. By the time MGS3 came out I never played MGS2 again because I was so occupied with Snake Eater until the last days that I had a PS2. I would like to play both again, it's been a long time. 

Did you ever get the Tshuniko or whatever the damn thing was called? You trap it in the area where you battle THE FEAR and then keep it until the end of the game, then you get a reward for the next play through...

They should have made a stealth game spinoff focused on THE BOSS or PARA-MEDIC.

Dr. MD MD

I haven't had much time for games the last few months but my one allowable video game obsession has been with NES games. I bought a Retron 1 a while back because I wanted a way to try the light gun games that were made for it. Unfortunately, there were really only a handful of decent games made for that peripheral. So, to round it out I decided to get 5 more games to make up a sort of top 10 but I'm wondering if I might have missed out on some lesser known games. What are some of your favorite NES games and why?

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 13, 2017, 07:40:06 PM
... What are some of your favorite NES games and why?

I don't know the original NES very well.  Obviously Super Mario Bros. 3 (and 2's worth a look as well), Metroid (although not "Super" it's still cool).  One which I remember being really hard but pretty cool for its time was Ninja Gaiden.  I was more into SNES and then PS2 after that.  Now I only play PC games, when I can get them cheap off Steam/GOG sales. 

On that topic, I've burnt out on RPG's (and I just can't find one I like as much as Fallout: NV), and FPS's as well.  So I've decided to dive back into my collection of strategy games and give them another try.  Previously I've never been able to get over the learning curve hump but I'm determined this time to actually finish one of these.  I've got Civ 3, Alpha Centauri, Master of Orion 1&2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, and, in a fit of irrational hubris I just picked up Crusader Kings 2.  In any case, I'm gonna build an empire somewhere, somehow.

Jackstar

I haven't had much time for games the last few months

Ever since the surgery, all I do is run around outdoors, or sit around wishing I could run around outdoors.

What are some of your favorite NES games and why?

... for reasons that I am gonna pretend are still some kind of fucken mystery.