• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Quote from: dan7800 on January 17, 2017, 09:56:20 PM
Good guest tonight?

Jeez Louise......  I forgot she even still did a show.

Nobody

Quote from: FoodMaxx Crone on January 17, 2017, 02:22:26 PM
She's on what, number 4 now?

I believe she is on her 3rd producer at this point:

1. Martin Willis (who, I was told, received an on-air chewing out from HW).

2. Jason Drake Malfoy

3. Michelle Freed Bulgatz (Current)

(I like your handle by the way.) :)

Nobody

Quote from: dan7800 on January 17, 2017, 09:56:20 PM
Good guest tonight?

Never mind the guest, what about the cranky lady from Southern California who called in earlier and berated Heather for cutting her off* when she was telling her story last night?  That was a brilliant call.

Heather tried offering excuses and that lady was having none of it. Then Heather offered to have the lady co-host the show with her and the lady laughed. :)

(I think I'm in love.  Well done, miss.) [doffs hat]

*Juan Cena: if you ever wanted to yell at Heather for cutting you off, trust me, this lady did it for you.

Jackstar

Nobody listens to Midnight In The Desert With Heather Wade.

Epaphroditus

Quote from: Nobody on January 18, 2017, 12:41:59 AM
Never mind the guest, what about the cranky lady from Southern California who called in earlier and berated Heather for cutting her off* when she was telling her story last night?  That was a brilliant call.

Heather tried offering excuses and that lady was having none of it. Then Heather offered to have the lady co-host the show with her and the lady laughed. :)

(I think I'm in love.  Well done, miss.) [doffs hat]

That ignorant bitch never gets to her point which is why she gets cut off .

*Juan Cena: if you ever wanted to yell at Heather for cutting you off, trust me, this lady did it for you.

Lilith

Quote from: Jackstar on January 18, 2017, 01:29:10 AM

I do too, once in a while.

dan7800

Quote from: Jackstar on January 18, 2017, 01:29:10 AM

I listen fairly regularly. Some guests are boring, others are ok. Heather is not great by any means, but I still don't get all the hate for her.

Oh what could have been....

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: dan7800 on January 18, 2017, 10:46:20 AM
I listen fairly regularly. Some guests are boring, others are ok. Heather is not great by any means, but I still don't get all the hate for her.

I gave her a fair shot but ultimately couldn't hold out. She's terrible.

Jackstar

She's a perfectly adequate host, and on a personal level, I'm more fond of her than not.

However, her relentless shilling for the Sandy Hoax debacle leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It makes it impossible for me to listen to her fumble through learning her craft--where once, I would have been happy to give her the benefit of the doubt... well, well, well, since she's such a FUCKING EXPERT on what's REAL AND WHAT ISN'T, she can just learn to be a quality radio host, rather than a merely adequate one.

Since she knows so much about things. It takes away a lot of the mystery.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 18, 2017, 10:47:53 AM
I gave her a fair shot but ultimately couldn't hold out. She's terrible.
I too fought off the knee-jerk fucknozzles that were bashing her at first. But at-the-end-of-the-night they were proved right. She can't hold her own. So I had to admit defeat and quit listening for the most part. She just isn't "getting better."

But dammit, she still stepped up and took a shot! And she's still out there swinging. I said it before and I'll say it again; I hope she makes it to nationwide terrestrial radio someday.

Epaphroditus

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 18, 2017, 11:12:13 AM
I too fought off the knee-jerk fucknozzles that were bashing her at first. But at-the-end-of-the-night they were proved right. She can't hold her own. So I had to admit defeat and quit listening for the most part. She just isn't "getting better."

But dammit, she still stepped up and took a shot! And she's still out there swinging. I said it before and I'll say it again; I hope she makes it to nationwide terrestrial radio someday.

Please stop thinking 1993 , every internet streamer out there with a paid subscriber base is making more money than terrestrial radio and its 24 hr jesus , sports , politics .

Quote from: dan7800 on January 18, 2017, 10:46:20 AM

The hate isn't really about Heather at all.  It's about Art and the situation he caused, and Heather's just in front of the firing line.

dan7800

Quote from: (((The King of Kings))) on January 18, 2017, 04:28:24 PM
The hate isn't really about Heather at all.  It's about Art and the situation he caused, and Heather's just in front of the firing line.

+1 to this

SnapT

Is Bill Birnes eating something on the air?

Influenced by Falkie?

Nobody

Quote from: Epaphroditus on January 18, 2017, 06:39:49 AM

I can't speak to her intellectual capacity, but she seemed to get to her point quickly enough last night. 

Nobody

Quote from: SnapT on January 19, 2017, 01:03:28 AM

Bill Birnes appears to be an articulate, intelligent man with a coherent story to tell.  That sound you're hearing is simply the sound of him chewing up the host of the programme. :)

GravitySucks

Quote from: Nobody on January 19, 2017, 01:21:20 AM
Bill Birnes appears to be an articulate, intelligent man with a coherent story to tell.  That sound you're hearing is simply the sound of him chewing up the host of the programme. :)

He takes a few liberties, I think, to try and make the story interesting. For example, Tesla's tower was not at Montauk Point. It was at Shoreham.

Nobody

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 19, 2017, 01:29:54 AM
He takes a few liberties, I think, to try and make the story interesting. For example, Tesla's tower was not at Montauk Point. It was at Shoreham.

As a history buff, I noticed he gets some of his timeframes wrong as well (e.g. the American motion picture industry wasn't in its infancy in the 1920's, but had been around for two decades by then).

(However, I am not clear on whether these mistakes are deliberate or if they are the sort of mistakes that invariably crop up whenever people talk off the cuff for an extended period of time.)

I'm fascinated with the whole premise of Edison taking talking to the dead seriously because my own understanding is that the whole "spirit phone" business came about as the result of a journalist  from The American Magazine wanting to interview Edison when Edison had little to say; Edison told him about the Spirit Phone as a practical joke.

There's a claim that a "rare version" of of Edison's diary was discovered recently:

In 2015 the French journalist Philippe Baudouin found a rare version of Edison’s diary in a thrift store in France.

This version includes a chapter that was not printed in the widely known 1948 English edition, called the Diary and Sundry Observations of Thomas Alva Edison. This missing chapter was dedicated to his theory of the spirit world, and how it might be possible to contact it. Baudouin re-published the French edition as Le Royaume de l’au-delà.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/dial-a-ghost-on-thomas-edisons-least-successful-invention-the-spirit-phone

...and I am guessing Bill Birnes' book is based largely upon that.  I have not found any mention of who has authenticated this "missing chapter," though. 

Presumably, Birnes' book will tell his readers who authenticated this latest discovery (and when) to allay any concerns that they might be reading a work based on the 21st century equivalent of the Hitler diaries. ;)

GravitySucks

Quote from: Nobody on January 19, 2017, 02:46:38 AM
As a history buff, I noticed he gets some of his timeframes wrong as well (e.g. the American motion picture industry wasn't in its infancy in the 1920's, but had been around for two decades by then).

(However, I am not clear on whether these mistakes are deliberate or if they the sort of mistakes that invariably crop up whenever people talk off the cuff for an extended period of time oversights.)

I'm fascinated with the whole premise of Edison taking talking to the dead seriously because my own understanding is that the whole "spirit phone" business came about as the result of a journalist  from The American Magazine wanting to interview Edison when Edison had little to say; Edison told him about the Spirit Phone as a practical joke.

There's a claim that a "rare version" of of Edison's diary was discovered recently:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/dial-a-ghost-on-thomas-edisons-least-successful-invention-the-spirit-phone

...and I am guessing Bill Birnes' book is based largely upon that.  I have not found any mention of who has authenticated this "missing chapter," though. 

Presumably, Birnes' book will tell his readers who authenticated this latest discovery (and when) to allay any concerns that they might be reading a work based on the 21st century equivalent of the Hitler diaries. ;)

Last time He was on I challenged his cliams about Dr Feelgood giving Marilyn Monroe amphetimines the night she sang Happy Birthday. He said that is why her speech was slow and slurred. If he dosed her it had to be with downers. She wasn't speeding. She was on some kind of downer, maybe mixed with alcohol. I unkowningly tried to replicate the effect for several years before I heard his claims.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 19, 2017, 02:51:55 AM
Last time He was on I challenged his cliams about Dr Feelgood giving Marilyn Monroe amphetimines the night she sang Happy Birthday. He said that is why her speech was slow and slurred. If he dosed her it had to be with downers. She wasn't speeding. She was on some kind of downer, maybe mixed with alcohol. I unkowningly tried to replicate the effect for several years before I heard his claims.

It was Kennedy who was receiving regular shots of amphetamines. Marilyn was taking tranquilizers. Everyone was drinking back then.  :D

Nobody

Just before the programme ended, he claimed that the Japanese had launched balloons containing biological weapons against the US in WWII.  To the best of my knowledge, that claim is only half right: the Japanese did launch balloons against the US, but they contained incendiary devices, not biological weapons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_balloon

The Japanese had planned to use biological weapons against the US, but these were to be delivered using submarine-based aircraft, and the war ended before the plans could be carried out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cherry_Blossoms_at_Night

So whilst my original post still stands as far as it goes, at this point, it looks like it ought to be amended to:

Bill Birnes appears to be articulate, intelligent, and coherent, but not necessarily accurate, depending.

Oh well. :(

Jackstar

I challenged his cliams about Dr Feelgood giving Marilyn Monroe amphetimines the night she sang Happy Birthday. He said that is why her speech was slow and slurred. If he dosed her it had to be with downers. She wasn't speeding. She was on some kind of downer, maybe mixed with alcohol. I unkowningly tried to replicate the effect for several years before I heard his claims.

I can't tell if you're trying to be funny and failing miserably, or are actually this ignorant.

Oh, right. "Space" program.

Lilith

Quote from: SnapT on January 19, 2017, 01:03:28 AM

Influenced by Falkie?

The Flakie influence idea almost makes me wish I had been awake to listen, but not quite.

Lilith

If I had known you were going to be here Gravity, I would have set my alarm clock.

no mention of Edison's public electrocution of cats/dogs to discredit Tesla's AC?

Is anybody going to try to win the $295 wishing machine Heather's giving away? I think if I won I'd donate it to Falkie

Lilith

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on January 19, 2017, 09:52:45 AM
no mention of Edison's public electrocution of cats/dogs to discredit Tesla's AC?

Is anybody going to try to win the $295 wishing machine Heather's giving away? I think if I won I'd donate it to Falkie

You could always try making your own wishing machine for free. That's what I did.  MV says I have it facing the wrong direction in in the picture, but I have since turned it around, and it works great.