• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 29, 2016, 12:49:38 AM
Maybe Reno or Virginia City? Nice places.

Most of the houses in Virginia City are old dating back to at least 1900 if I had to guess.  Most of them are small too.  I would love to live there and be a tour guide for the ghost tours.  I love that town.  Only problem is most of the businesses close at 5 and if you want food late, you'd have to head down to Reno or Carson City.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 29, 2016, 12:51:47 AM
And I'm a person that gets the shits over water at the drop of a hat.

me, too.  i always get sick overseas, and i think it's because of the tap water.  i don't drink it, but showering provides plenty of opportunity for ingestion.

JesusJuice

Heather is really engaged and enjoying the conversation with Jim. She's well versed with his material and seems knowledgeable. It's actually been a good show. Until now. Until the first caller. He was on speaker phone and confused and can't hear and just brought the show to a complete standstill putzing around.

trostol

Quote from: chefist on September 29, 2016, 12:53:09 AM
I'm impressed with the buses in Vegas...

went to school there for a year..never took them lol

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 29, 2016, 12:54:35 AM
Most of the houses in Virginia City are old dating back to at least 1900 if I had to guess.  Most of them are small too.  I would love to live there and be a tour guide for the ghost tours.  I love that town.  Only problem is most of the businesses close at 5 and if you want food late, you'd have to head down to Reno or Carson City.

Yeah, but it also does have a definite charm. I liked it.

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 29, 2016, 12:54:02 AM
Parhump is better than it used to be but I still couldn't live there.

The shopping choices in Pahrump are rather limited and Vegas is a bit far from town.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: mv on September 29, 2016, 12:55:13 AM
me, too.  i always get sick overseas, and i think it's because of the tap water.  i don't drink it, but showering provides plenty of opportunity for ingestion.

Indeed, and I swear it's more than just the bacteria. There's something in how water is processed that if you're not used to it, you get sick even if its sterile. Again, it's something I've never researched but I think a lot of places just dump chlorine into water that's been in a settling pond and god knows what's going on as far as minerals and silt. If you're not used to it, even if nominally safe, well, bring on the runs.

GravitySucks

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 29, 2016, 12:57:24 AM
The shopping choices in Pahrump are rather limited and Vegas is a bit far from town.

At least they have a couple of Thai restaurants now. One of them was really good the last time I was there. Some of the hottest food I have ever had.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 29, 2016, 12:56:31 AM
Yeah, but it also does have a definite charm. I liked it.

Oh, I loved it and the people there are great.  I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could make a living there.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 29, 2016, 12:58:39 AM
Indeed, and I swear it's more than just the bacteria. There's something in how water is processed that if you're not used to it, you get sick even if its sterile. Again, it's something I've never researched but I think a lot of places just dump chlorine into water that's been in a settling pond and god knows what's going on as far as minerals and silt. If you're not used to it, even if nominally safe, well, bring on the runs.

i know people exaggerate when they say shit like this, but i really mean it; i almost died the last time i was overseas.  i got so sick.  i really did come close to death, i believe.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 29, 2016, 12:58:43 AM
Oh, I loved it and the people there are great.  I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could make a living there.

Oddly, silver mining seems to be profitable there again. There was a row about a strip silver mine a year or so ago.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: mv on September 29, 2016, 01:00:52 AM
i know people exaggerate when they say shit like this, but i really mean it; i almost died the last time i was overseas.  i got so sick.  i really did come close to death, i believe.

Well, ya know, dysentery used to kill a ton of people in the old days. It affected the outcome of wars. That's shitting yourself to death and dying of dehydration because you shit out water faster than you can absorb it. 

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 29, 2016, 01:02:05 AM
Oddly, silver mining seems to be profitable there again. There was a row about a strip silver mine a year or so ago.

If you're ever there, have a few drinks at the Washoe Club bar one evening and they will probably give you a ghost tour of the upstairs for an extra $10.  Very creepy place and they have some cool photos.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 29, 2016, 01:05:05 AM
Well, ya know, dysentery used to kill a ton of people in the old days. It affected the outcome of wars. That's shitting yourself to death and dying of dehydration because you shit out water faster than you can absorb it.

yup, and lots of vomiting.  i described it as "ass fountain," much to keith rowland's dismay (because he's professional).

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 29, 2016, 01:06:18 AM
If you're ever there, have a few drinks at the Washoe Club bar one evening and they will probably give you a ghost tour of the upstairs for an extra $10.  Very creepy place and they have some cool photos.

Actually, I wouldn't do that. I learned my lesson. As you know, I'm very skeptical, but I went on a ghost tour in Alton, Ill. to a place called the Old Meridian Café years ago. Supposedly it was ridiculously haunted. Well, I went up to the second floor supposedly where the ghosts were particularly active and I got violently ill out of nowhere. I went outside, puked in the street and felt fine. But something in that fucking place made me sick for no reason. Maybe it was dinner earlier that night, but not really interested in teasing the tiger any further with that stuff.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: mv on September 29, 2016, 01:08:32 AM
much to keith rowland's dismay (because he's professional).

That worked out well for him lol.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 29, 2016, 01:11:25 AM
Actually, I wouldn't do that. I learned my lesson. As you know, I'm very skeptical, but I went on a ghost tour in Alton, Ill. to a place called the Old Meridian Café years ago. Supposedly it was ridiculously haunted. Well, I went up to the second floor supposedly where the ghosts were particularly active and I got violently ill out of nowhere. I went outside, puked in the street and felt fine. But something in that fucking place made me sick for no reason. Maybe it was dinner earlier that night, but not really interested in teasing the tiger any further with that stuff.

My wife had the same thing happen when we visited the grounds of a haunted lighthouse in St. Augustine.  She got really sick and threw up.  We went back two or three times over the next two days just to see what her reaction would be and she started to get sick to her stomach again so we got out of there.  Really weird because she was fine away from there.

Virginia City might not be the place for you then because the whole town is supposed to be ridiculously haunted.

I'm going to run and listen to the last part of Coast in bed.  Ghost stories.  It's that time of the season again.  See ya, guys.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 29, 2016, 01:18:20 AM
I'm going to run and listen to the last part of Coast in bed.  Ghost stories.  It's that time of the season again.  See ya, guys.

Me too. Nite 21.

CornyCrow

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 29, 2016, 01:05:05 AM
I wonder if anyone has tried those ultra violet pens that you stir the water with to kill parasites?  Also, booze is supposed to kill parasites, which is why sailors were allotted rum on ships years back.   

Quote from: norland2424 on September 27, 2016, 07:57:18 PM
Lol i know, i remember a few people leaving comments on how horrible bellgab is etc, haha that " den of vipers" comment still makes me laugh.
Quote from: brig on September 27, 2016, 07:59:15 PM
...and proud OF it!

Fucking PussyBook, err Suck-assbook, erm FedBook.  ::)

Same here brig. ;)

Quote from: Value Of Pi on September 27, 2016, 08:56:05 PM
Great question and obviously, we'd all love to know the answer. But just as big a question is, WTF is she doing to make 1,800 people think she deserves to get $5 a month when there is much better stuff out there for free?

At this late date, these listeners have had plenty of time to notice that $5 charge on their Paypal or whatever. She's got something they think is worth $5, apparently.

EDIT:
I'm sorry. How could I be so blind? The answer to both questions is the same damn answer, whatever that is. Maybe we should capture some genuine fans of Heather's MITD and interrogate them. No BG listeners of MITD could supply this information, unfortunately.
I'll grab the butterfly nets, Pi.   ;D

Quote from: Meatie Pie on September 28, 2016, 08:36:28 AM
She played many of the horny men in this community like a harp, right down to the Diana Rigg avatar.

I don't necessarily disparage it either, she parlayed it into a gig of her dreams. That takes some ruthlessness, but it also takes cunning.
Don't let that nieve, uninformed attitude she displays on-air fool you. (Redacted) is Sith.

Quote from: JesusJuice on September 29, 2016, 12:55:36 AM
Heather is really engaged and enjoying the conversation with Jim. She's well versed with his material and seems knowledgeable. It's actually been a good show. Until now. Until the first caller. He was on speaker phone and confused and can't hear and just brought the show to a complete standstill putzing around.

Heather always gets wet when she can pretend she has a brain, but that's not really a brain...it FOXS News....
The whole Hillary Hand Sign conspiracy theory is about as lame as any, but when Marrs and Heather started puking out all those right wing talking points like SeanHannityPezDispensers.... Well, even The Snorge is just so bad....

Quote from: mv on September 29, 2016, 12:55:13 AM

Wet wipes are your friend.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Value Of Pi on September 28, 2016, 10:43:12 PM
I knew there was more.

So, good old concupiscence (killer word) strikes again, huh? It wasn't even the long, black hair or some kind of secret sauce. Any (any) person of the female sex who played her cards right could be sitting in Art's seat right now. That's one provocative piece of poetry you wrote there.

What would the small handful of female BGers say about this notion? Missed opportunity?

I really do feel for her on a human level -- you will notice the portrait is largely sympathetic.  As entertaining as it is to imagine a cackling temptress, that's fundamentally too simple and cartoony.  If I had to distill it to its essence in classical terms, her sin was to not only imagine that she could, but make a wild, inelegant grab at the chance.  Our culture teaches us to believe in such chances, but the old world saw it differently.  Like most sins, it carries its own punishment:  she must work every night to convince herself, despite all evidence to the contrary, that she can.  I don't think the experience is a happy one, and I'd like nothing more than to write a redemptive epilogue where she triumphs over her own shortcomings, but I'm not holding my breath.

bateman

And now we take you back to the night of October 11, 2015

Uncle Duke

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 29, 2016, 01:11:25 AM

Same thing happened to me at the Winchester Mystery House, used a large planter on the second floor for a purpose for which it was never designed. Felt fine going in, and later in the day flew home with no nausea or other discomfort. When I apologized to one of the docents, she was very understanding and told me it was not uncommon for visitors to get physically ill during the tours.