• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151126 - THANKSGIVING DAY - Replay Tonight

Started by FLLFlash, November 26, 2015, 10:36:24 PM

Dick Grinder

Totally off topic, but I'm listening to WCPE's (theclassicalstation.org) 'Sleepers Awake' program.  I perked up because I heard the closing theme from Alien. 

I had always assumed it was by Jerry Goldsmith, who scored the film.  In fact it was an older piece by Howard Hanson, from his Symphony No. 2, that Ridley Scott used for the closing scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS1kg7hYTcs

Ciardelo

Quote from: FLLFlash on November 27, 2015, 12:29:55 AM
What a dismal dichotomy you delineate. (Alliteration intended.)
Intentional Alliteration...I'm going to have to work that in somewhere in the next few days.

FLLFlash

The only edit in this show is the obliteration of Leo Asshat. Gooooo Amy!

FLLFlash

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 27, 2015, 12:31:24 AM
Intentional Alliteration...I'm going to have to work that in somewhere in the next few days.

Do so. Be polysyllabic about it.

Dick Grinder

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on November 27, 2015, 12:20:45 AM
No, Barfly.  When the NSA listen in...

they leave no trace...

Career path:  Boy Scouts-->Princeton/Harvard/Yale-->NSA

I bet they can all tie sheepshanks like a son of a bitch, too.

Barfly

Quote from: FLLFlash on November 27, 2015, 12:29:55 AM
What a dismal dichotomy you delineate. (Alliteration intended.)
The only reason the Bella Haven thread still exists is because MV has a kind heart for these people, i find it laughable that they "share" coffee every morning.
Its a failed show, just rename it to the "I'm close to death, board and have no life" thread.

WanagoBleu

Quote from: Dick Grinder on November 27, 2015, 12:30:14 AM
Totally off topic, but I'm listening to WCPE's (theclassicalstation.org) 'Sleepers Awake' program.  I perked up because I heard the closing theme from Alien. 

I had always assumed it was by Jerry Goldsmith, who scored the film.  In fact it was an older piece by Howard Hanson, from his Symphony No. 2, that Ridley Scott used for the closing scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS1kg7hYTcs
thx for sharing this. As a serious "Hearts of Space" (www.HOS.com, free on Sundays!) fan, this is right up my alley.

FLLFlash

Quote from: Dick Grinder on November 27, 2015, 12:34:18 AM
Career path:  Boy Scouts-->Princeton/Harvard/Yale-->NSA

I bet they can all tie sheepshanks like a son of a bitch, too.

40 years ago the amount of 3-letter agency recruiting on Ivy League campuses was massive. I assume it still is.

I let the USN recruit me (a wildly unpopular option at the time) before accepting an all expense paid, plus salary, trip to graduate school. I probably should have GOne NAVY. Oh well.

Dick Grinder

Quote from: WanagoBleu
thx for sharing this. As a serious "Hearts of Space" (www.HOS.com, free on Sundays!) fan, this is right up my alley.

YW.  I wonder if that is the same radio program I used to listen to late on Friday or Saturday nights in the early-to-mid 90s on educational radio.  The host (a man) always introduced the program as  "music from the hearts of space."

Ciardelo

Quote from: WanagoBleu on November 27, 2015, 12:35:36 AM
I think that used to broadcast terrestrially on our college radio station. Maybe it still does and I've lost track. How does the free Sunday show work? Can I use my own external stream player?

WanagoBleu

Quote from: Dick Grinder on November 27, 2015, 12:40:45 AM
YW.  I wonder if that is the same radio program I used to listen to late on Friday or Saturday nights in the early-to-mid 90s on educational radio.  The host (a man) always introduced the program as  "music from the hearts of space."
yes. Npr usually plays an hour a week somewhere. I buy a year of play so I can listen whenever I want. It keeps me sane.

Dick Grinder

Quote from: FLLFlash on November 27, 2015, 12:39:46 AM
40 years ago the amount of 3-letter agency recruiting on Ivy League campuses was massive. I assume it still is.

I let the USN recruit me (a wildly unpopular option at the time) before accepting an all expense paid, plus salary, trip to graduate school. I probably should have GOne NAVY. Oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt2W1QXCCdw

WanagoBleu

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 27, 2015, 12:44:18 AM
I think that used to broadcast terrestrially on our college radio station. Maybe it still does and I've lost track. How does the free Sunday show work? Can I use my own external stream player?
hmmm,  I would think so. Go to www.hos.com and see if you can play one of the free test shows at anytime. every Sunday, a new weeks show is broadcast, and you don't have to be a member to listen.

Barfly

The Marine recruiters came into our High School when i was a senior, you had to get a signature from your parents if you where under 18(i was 17 at the time)
They had a thing called the buddy plan, you enlist with your buddy and you stay together for the rest of the enlistment.
It all sounded great, and my parents signed, off my buddy Tim and i went 2 months after graduating.
Lets just say I didn't see him for years later after boot camp, we where deployed to different parts of the world.
So the recruiter was full of shit, i dont think much has changed even today.
sorry this is a reply to flash

WanagoBleu

I just downloaded that book from my library! Hope it's interesting.

WanagoBleu

I've been in the Great Pryamid. Amazing. Me too!!

Ciardelo

Quote from: WanagoBleu on November 27, 2015, 12:49:15 AM
hmmm,  I would think so. Go to www.hos.com and see if you can play one of the free test shows at anytime. every Sunday, a new weeks show is broadcast, and you don't have to be a member to listen.
I'm already there :) thanks.

Dick Grinder

Quote from: WanagoBleu on November 27, 2015, 12:44:24 AM
yes. Npr usually plays an hour a week somewhere. I buy a year of play so I can listen whenever I want. It keeps me sane.

Thanks for this.  I will reacquaint myself with the program.  I really used to enjoy it.

WCPE, which I'm enjoying tonight, is interesting to me because it was one of the very early net simulcasters, not to mention being one of the few private classical stations.  (There is another in Seattle, iirc, among a few others.)

FLLFlash

Quote from: Barfly on November 27, 2015, 12:50:41 AM
The Marine recruiters came into our High School when i was a senior, you had to get a signature from your parents if you where under 18(i was 17 at the time)
They had a thing called the buddy plan, you enlist with your buddy and you stay together for the rest of the enlistment.
It all sounded great, and my parents signed, off my buddy Tim and i went 2 months after graduating.
Lets just say I didn't see him for years later after boot camp, we where deployed to different parts of the world.
So the recruiter was full of shit, i dont think much has changed even today.
sorry this is a reply to flash

Recruiters embellish the truth with relish. It's an art.

Barfly

I would do it all over again, it made me a adult, and the GI bill paid for my school when my gig was up.
But i still have that disgust the way they went about it

WanagoBleu

Quote from: Ciardelo on November 27, 2015, 12:53:54 AM
I'm already there :) thanks.
Steven Roach, Robert rich, Douglas Spotted Eagle (be still my beating heart), Celtic playlists.....

FLLFlash

At this break I am going to pack it in. I'm sure Mrs. Flash will want me out on the dog hike bright and early.

I hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving and will be sleeping through as much of Black Friday as possible.

See y'all tomorrow.

Ciardelo

Quote from: FLLFlash on November 27, 2015, 01:00:32 AM
At this break I am going to pack it in. I'm sure Mrs. Flash will want me out on the dog hike bright and early.

I hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving and will be sleeping through as much of Black Friday as possible.

See y'all tomorrow.
You too man.

Barfly

See y'all tomorrow.
Take care Flash, hope we get a good show tomorrow

WanagoBleu

Flash and Barfly, thx you for your service. And life spirit that you invested in that. And to any other veterans here.

WanagoBleu

Quote from: Dick Grinder on November 27, 2015, 12:54:31 AM
Thanks for this.  I will reacquaint myself with the program.  I really used to enjoy it.

WCPE, which I'm enjoying tonight, is interesting to me because it was one of the very early net simulcasters, not to mention being one of the few private classical stations.  (There is another in Seattle, iirc, among a few others.)
I love cello and violin. I'll look up the station.

Barfly

Quote from: WanagoBleu on November 27, 2015, 01:03:00 AM
Flash and Barfly, thx you for your service. And life spirit that you invested in that. And to any other veterans here.
Actually, i was proud to serve, but initially i enlisted to get them to pay for my school after, my parents where not wealthy.
And they did, if not i have NO idea what i would be doing today. The GI bill is a wonderful thing.

WanagoBleu

See y'all tomorrow.
sweet dreams Flash!

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: Barfly on November 27, 2015, 01:08:36 AM
Actually, i was proud to serve, but initially i enlisted to get them to pay for my school after, my parents where not wealthy.
And they did, if not i have NO idea what i would be doing today. The GI bill is a wonderful thing.

Signed by Roosevelt.  Good stuff.