• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Disabling BellGab's "Ignore User" Feature

Started by MV/Liberace!, October 23, 2015, 09:16:18 PM

Is it ok if we disable the "ignore user" feature?  Please?

Yes
No

Ciardelo

Quote from: zeebo on October 31, 2015, 08:25:04 PM
If you're using firefox you can go to "about:config", search for "image.animation_mode", and change it from "normal" to "none".  (Unfortunately there is no firefox config for setting boorish people to "none".)
There's some news I can use right there. Thanks

zeebo

Quote from: Ciardelo on October 31, 2015, 08:57:55 PM
There's some news I can use right there. Thanks

Now that I think about it, this trick probably does not speed up page loads as I believe the full gif file is still downloaded.  But it might still speed up performance somewhat as it kills the animations once the file comes down.  In any case it definitely helps with the annoyance factor. 

To really speed things up I think you'd have to find a way to block all gifs from downloading at all.  But I'm not sure if there's a way to do this or if one would really want to since you'd be tossing out the innocent static gifs as well - which could break some sites.  They really should have created a different file extension for the animated ones.

Ciardelo

Quote from: zeebo on October 31, 2015, 09:28:01 PM
Now that I think about it, this trick probably does not speed up page loads as I believe the full gif file is still downloaded.  But it might still speed up performance somewhat as it kills the animations once the file comes down.  In any case it definitely helps with the annoyance factor. 

To really speed things up I think you'd have to find a way to block all gifs from downloading at all.  But I'm not sure if there's a way to do this or if one would really want to since you'd be tossing out the innocent static gifs as well - which could break some sites.  They really should have created a different file extension for the animated ones.
I think you can hit the esc key to stop the animations on a page too. I've been using adblock to individually block some user's animated avatars. How much of an attention whore does one need to be if he feels it necessary to use an animated avatar? To each his own I guess. It's not my job to "correct" them, but I don't want to see the whoring either :)

GravitySucks

Quote from: Ciardelo on October 31, 2015, 09:37:25 PM
I think you can hit the esc key to stop the animations on a page too. I've been using adblock to individually block some user's animated avatars. How much of an attention whore does one need to be if he feels it necessary to use an animated avatar? To each his own I guess. It's not my job to "correct" them, but I don't want to see the whoring either :)
Just don't block INUK2600. That is the coolest morphing avatar I have ever seen.

Ciardelo

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 31, 2015, 09:39:53 PM
Just don't block INUK2600. That is the coolest morphing avatar I have ever seen.
Actually? I have not. It's pretty cool.  8)

pate

Quote from: Meatie Pie on October 28, 2015, 10:56:06 AM
The best feature I've seen is one where the troll is given phantom posting abilities and believes he has all the usual privileges ... only no one can see his posts. They are invisible to all but him. He is essentially talking to himself when he posts and quotes others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQdnn4QZ8Kk

TigerLily

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 31, 2015, 09:39:53 PM
Luckily, I don't have to "ignore" everyone that moves. Just the psychedelic, hyperactive ones so able to enjoy INUK. Yes. Very cool
I'm still hoping "ignore" stays available. Probably hardly anyone uses it or would really care that much one way or the other.  But it does make it possible for me to participate on all the live threads. I would really miss you guys if I couldn't play with you anymore  :'(

Spinner

I vote to keep the Ignore feature. Remember the old adage:
"Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

Plus, I want Tarbaby to stay around. :)

paladin1991

Quote from: Ciardelo on October 31, 2015, 09:37:25 PM
Unless you have paid for it of course.

Since MV ignored the poll in the Falkie thread should we vote opposite of the way we really feel?

I think the ignore function should be disabled, if i don't like reading someone's post i can just skip over it. Also Bellgab in my opinion is best taken in unfiltered.

paladin1991

Quote from: nooryisawesome on November 02, 2015, 02:24:07 AM
Since MV ignored the poll in the Falkie thread should we vote opposite of the way we really feel?

I think the ignore function should be disabled, if i don't like reading someone's post i can just skip over it. Also Bellgab in my opinion is best taken in unfiltered.

Yeah.  Like a Camel, non-filtered.

BobGrau

Bellgab would be a poorer place without its gentler souls.

paladin1991

Quote from: MV on November 02, 2015, 09:56:14 PM
pussy.

That's what I'm talking about.  Toss him a kotex.  Let's get this party started.  Break out the mirror and razor blade, we'll all feel better about this after we all take a rail or three.

wr250

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 03, 2015, 03:50:04 AM
That's what I'm talking about.  Toss him a kotex.  Let's get this party started.  Break out the mirror and razor blade, we'll all feel better about this after we all take a rail or three.

are we doing lines of tomberic again?

onan

Wouldn't it just be easier to ignore this thread?

Was listening to the gabcast, I think the great MV isn't looking at the poll correctly -

Something like this doesn't come across like a popular vote poll. This isn't "What color should the borders be?" or "What's the political split between bellgab"

32 people voted no. Granted, not all 32 people use the feature but maybe sympathize with those that do. I don't have anyone on ignore, but if there are 3-5 people here that do, and would either get anxiety or even leave bellgab in the event this feature was disabled, then I believe it should be kept.

We don't all think the same. Scrolling through the people you don't want to read is fine and a lot of us do it, but we can't expect everyone to be comfortable with that.

paladin1991

Quote from: ASC on November 03, 2015, 10:47:34 AM
Was listening to the gabcast, I think the great MV isn't looking at the poll correctly -

Something like this doesn't come across like a popular vote poll. This isn't "What color should the borders be?" or "What's the political split between bellgab"

32 people voted no. Granted, not all 32 people use the feature but sympathize with those that do. I don't have anyone on ignore, but if there are 3-5 people here that do, and would either get anxiety or even leave bellgab in the event this feature was disbaled, then I believe it should be kept.

We don't all think the same. Scrolling through the people you don't want to read is fine and a lot of us do it, but we can't expect everyone to be comfortable with that.

You are right.  This is America.  Nobody should have to do any more work than they want to.  Even scrolling is an imposition.  I mean, after all, they elect to come to a forum and should be able to have it their way.  Because they might feel uncomfortable scrolling past posts.
So if 3-5 ppl elect to leave (and I think your wrong here, nobody gets out alive) because they can't ignore someone either by button proxy or scrolling..well, I gotta believe that the herd will be stronger for it.  They just weren't meant to survive crossing the internet highway.

whoozit

Please stop using reason and logic, this is Bellgab.

TigerLily

Hi MV and Gabsters.
I'm appealing to your loveable side. I don't "ignore" because of my delicate sensitivities, I love you guys raw. I "ignore" because of hyper animated gif's. I've had the Telnor technicians out here a couple of times and they say the problem is on their side and I have to run at the lowest speed.  They will upgrade manana  ::) i.e. someday
I appreciate the suggestions some people have proposed but not sure if they would work. I don't want to block all gif's especially static ones, just hyperactive ones. Someone suggested I move to solve my problem but unfortunately not an option.
This is probably a major non-issue for almost all of you but kind of a big deal for me. So will people quit bugging MV about the "ignore" imperfections and let me stay and hang out with you guys? Can we just go back to ignoring "ignore"?
Thanks to those of you that have had my back on this silly little issue. Praise MV

BobGrau

Ninja must experience the ignore feature before Ninja can learn to grow beyond it.

zeebo

Quote from: TigerLily on November 03, 2015, 01:58:26 PM
...Can we just go back to ignoring "ignore"?...

But this is censorship!  You're threatening the fabric of our free society!  Forced exposure to all content is for your own good - especially slow-loading gifs, tired internet memes, and boorish trolls!  (note this snarky comment not directed at EToZ's gif above which is adorable and thus beyond reproach.)

TigerLily

Quote from: zeebo on November 03, 2015, 05:00:38 PM
But this is censorship!  You're threatening the fabric of our free society!  Forced exposure to all content is for your own good - especially slow-loading gifs, tired internet memes, and boorish trolls!  (note this snarky comment not directed at EToZ's gif above which is adorable and thus beyond reproach.)
Yes. It is adorable and took less than a minute to load!

zeebo

Quote from: Catsmile on November 03, 2015, 06:24:26 PM
Sigh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTkedIUX8U

Now see, why would anyone ever want to ignore such illuminating posts?  I mean it's got a hip cultural reference, subversive content, and it really shows those precious intellectuals a thing or two!  This clip alone surely argues why the ignore feature should be forever banned, lest any of us ever miss such insightful commentary!

GravitySucks

Quote from: TigerLily on November 03, 2015, 01:58:26 PM
Hi MV and Gabsters.
I'm appealing to your loveable side. I don't "ignore" because of my delicate sensitivities, I love you guys raw. I "ignore" because of hyper animated gif's. I've had the Telnor technicians out here a couple of times and they say the problem is on their side and I have to run at the lowest speed.  They will upgrade manana  ::) i.e. someday
I appreciate the suggestions some people have proposed but not sure if they would work. I don't want to block all gif's especially static ones, just hyperactive ones. Someone suggested I move to solve my problem but unfortunately not an option.
This is probably a major non-issue for almost all of you but kind of a big deal for me. So will people quit bugging MV about the "ignore" imperfections and let me stay and hang out with you guys? Can we just go back to ignoring "ignore"?
Thanks to those of you that have had my back on this silly little issue. Praise MV

TigerLily, you had but one wish, but it has been granted.
For as long as GravitySucks, your ability to use the ignore will remain at your disposal... Use it wisely, without malice.

As it has been wished, so it has been granted.

Personally, I had been wishing for a different wish, but alas, it was not to be.

Yes, all Praise MV

TigerLily

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 03, 2015, 08:08:13 PM
TigerLily, you had but one wish, but it has been granted.
For as long as GravitySucks, your ability to use the ignore will remain at your disposal... Use it wisely, without malice.

As it has been wished, so it has been granted.

Personally, I had been wishing for a different wish, but alas, it was not to be.

Yes, all Praise MV
You got the inside dope, somehow? Praise MV and Praise Gravity Sucks!
Gravity. Read the small print in my contract. I still have two wishes coming.  ;)

Quote from: TigerLily on November 03, 2015, 08:52:56 PM
You got the inside dope, somehow? Praise MV and Praise Gravity Sucks!
Gravity. Read the small print in my contract. I still have two wishes coming.  ;)
;)