• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Disabling BellGab's "Ignore User" Feature

Started by MV/Liberace!, October 23, 2015, 09:16:18 PM

Is it ok if we disable the "ignore user" feature?  Please?

Yes
No

MV/Liberace!

I've been thinking about doing it, for a couple of reasons.

1) I get a lot of complaints about it, and it's just gotten tiresome fielding them.

2) The feature's implementation isn't very effective anyway.

3) I just have this gut feeling that everybody should have the opportunity to see everything that's posted.  I think allowing people to ignore this user and that user just rips a lot of the character and flavor out of the forum.

My reason for posting this is to see what all of you think. Will you soil yourself if this feature is disabled?  Comment here, vote above.

ksm32

GravitySucks

Quote from: ksm32 on October 23, 2015, 09:20:50 PM
19.5 HUGE THUMBS UP!

Dreams, DO come true!
The only person I have thought about using it on left on his own accord, so I am fine with eliminating it.

Then Falkie might actually answer some of my questions.

If you leave it on, I may change my avatar to Gravity,Sucks

Praise MV

coaster

I use a tablet when I read the live Art thread. there is a member who posts nothing but animated gifs and youtube videos and when there are a million of them being posted it lags like hell. It ruins the experience and it's frustrating as hell.

Eddie Coyle

I'm not sure. What did these mooks above me say about it?  ;)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: coaster on October 23, 2015, 09:27:46 PM
I use a tablet when I read the live Art thread. there is a member who posts nothing but animated gifs, and when there are a million of them being posted it lags like hell. It ruins the experience and it's frustrating as hell.

this isn't your "polaroid" tablet, is it?

coaster

I'm not the only one who has complained about it either.

I use a tablet when I read the live Art thread. there is a member who posts nothing but animated gifs and youtube videos and when there are a million of them being posted it lags like hell. It ruins the experience and it's frustrating as hell.

Gas station tablet? 99¢ bin?

Quote from: MV on October 23, 2015, 09:16:18 PM
I've been thinking about doing it, for a couple of reasons.

1) I get a lot of complaints about it, and it's just gotten tiresome fielding them.

2) The feature's implementation isn't very effective anyway.

3) I just have this gut feeling that everybody should have the opportunity to see everything that's posted.  I think allowing people to ignore this user and that user just rips a lot of the character and flavor out of the forum.

My reason for posting this is to see what all of you think. Will you soil yourself if this feature is disabled?  Comment here, vote above.

I only recently started using it, but once I had that one person on ignore I quickly added more. 

Sometimes I click to see what they've posted, but usually not - mostly depends on what thread it is.

I agree it reduces character and flavor, but still vote in favor of keeping it.  But don't think it's that big a deal

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: rekcuf on October 23, 2015, 09:30:43 PM

that's what i was wondering, because i've been using the forum on mobile devices for years, going back multiple generations of hardware, and i've not found gifs to be a problem.

coaster

Quote from: MV on October 23, 2015, 09:32:06 PM
that's what i was wondering, because i've been using the forum on mobile devices for years, going back multiple generations of hardware, and i've not found gifs to be a problem.
Maybe its a browser problem. I dunno.

coaster

Quote from: rekcuf on October 23, 2015, 09:30:43 PM
Do gas stations sell 99 cent tablets or are you just trying to be a dick?

GravitySucks

If you get enough of those comments, I would say keep it.  The embedded animated gifs bug me too, but I live with them. And I use an iPad with a slow internet connection.  The StarWars avatar thread won't even load for me.

Quote from: MV on October 23, 2015, 09:32:06 PM

Hee hee. I know, right? Coaster must still be using dial-up... I do love the tones of dial-up. *sigh*

Quote from: coaster on October 23, 2015, 09:33:48 PM
Do gas stations sell 99 cent tablets or are you just trying to be a dick?

Both.

coaster

Quote from: rekcuf on October 23, 2015, 09:36:01 PM
Hee hee. I know, right? Coaster must still be using dial-up... I do love the tones of dial-up. *sigh*
Dial up on a tablet. You are 0 for 2.

GravitySucks

Sounds like you need to add "Maybe" to the poll

coaster

Not a big deal I guess. I'll just have to figure something else out. Maybe find a way to block animated gifs. Meh.

3OctaveFart

I can't believe the amount of babysitting you have to do here, a young father and businessowner.

If somebody wants to ignore a user, then damn well ignore them. You don't need an implement.

GravitySucks

Quote from: coaster on October 23, 2015, 09:48:52 PM
Not a big deal I guess. I'll just have to figure something else out. Maybe find a way to block animated gifs. Meh.
Even if they could just be disabled in quoted copies. Besides, why are we wasting time discussing it.  MV is going to do what he wants anyways...😎

ItsOver

No problem here.  If want to ignore a post, I don't look at it.

zeebo

Quote from: ItsOver on October 23, 2015, 09:53:43 PM
No problem here.  If want to ignore a post, I don't look at it.

Sure but seriously some posters just get off on posting things like tasteless pics which cannot be un-seen, over and over and over.  It can become quite distracting to all the good stuff on the site.  These folks are obviously either oblivious to the most basic social decorum or they're just intentionally trying to provoke a response - in either case, if they become un-ignorable, the flame wars shall burn with the heat of a thousand suns.

By the time a poster puts someone on ignore, they've likely had more than enough of their posts and gotten all the character and flavor they need. 

BobGrau

I'd say keep it. There are problems either way, so 'do least harm' applies.