Phake PhDs

Started by Marc.Knight, September 29, 2015, 02:39:49 PM

Marc.Knight

Tonight's guest on C2C  http://www.eldontaylor.com/about.html

Ph.D., St. John's University (Springfield, Louisiana): unaccredited
Ph.D., American Institute of Hypnotherapy: unaccredited
Ph.D.s, University of Metaphysics, Los Angeles, Calif.  unaccredited

Dave should do his homework. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unaccredited_institutions_of_higher_education

paladin1991

Quote from: Marc.Knight on September 29, 2015, 02:39:49 PM
Tonight's guest on C2C  http://www.eldontaylor.com/about.html

Ph.D., St. John's University (Springfield, Louisiana): unaccredited
Ph.D., American Institute of Hypnotherapy: unaccredited
Ph.D.s, University of Metaphysics, Los Angeles, Calif.  unaccredited

Dave should do his homework. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unaccredited_institutions_of_higher_education

I'm going to type up my own 'special BA' documentation.  Then I will able to be a guest on CoastisToast.  Let's see, a BA.......mmmmm, a Bullshitist Artistica.   

Uncle Duke

Phony advanced degrees are stock in trade for paranormal/ufology/conspiracy "researchers".  Few are as outright goofy as the "University of Metaphysics", many are from more legit sounding internet diploma mills.  I've wanted to ask "Dr" Kevin Randle about his PhD for some time, but he never seems to take calls when he does his radio appearances.

albrecht

Besides the papermills and fake degrees every so often a guest will actually have a legitimate degree but will then, usually, be speaking on a subject not related- or very tangentially related- to that degree. But will be introduced as "doctor" or "professor" etc so listeners might presume he has a degree in THAT subject- when he doesn't.  And also, one can't forget, that people will degrees can also be, or later go, crazy or develop some fringe theories or ideas (sometimes this is good and leads to some innovation or radical new idea or theory, but also just "go crazy" or be in it for some money off the gullible.)

Marc.Knight

Quote from: albrecht on September 29, 2015, 05:14:37 PM
Besides the papermills and fake degrees every so often a guest will actually have a legitimate degree but will then, usually, be speaking on a subject not related- or very tangentially related- to that degree. But will be introduced as "doctor" or "professor" etc so listeners might presume he has a degree in THAT subject- when he doesn't.  And also, one can't forget, that people will degrees can also be, or later go, crazy or develop some fringe theories or ideas (sometimes this is good and leads to some innovation or radical new idea or theory, but also just "go crazy" or be in it for some money off the gullible.)

Very astute.  It is fraudulent, and especially egregious when an interviewer promotes an individual as a "DR." or "Professor" so and so, as you say.  In some states the presentation of false credentials such as "DR" (PhD / MD) is against the law, let alone very unethical.  However, false creds seem to get people very far in this country... just look at the line-up on C2C.  I'm hoping Art applies better screening when it comes to claiming a guest is a doctor in a particular discipline.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on September 29, 2015, 05:14:37 PM
Besides the papermills and fake degrees every so often a guest will actually have a legitimate degree but will then, usually, be speaking on a subject not rela.   d- or very tangentially related- to that degree. But will be introduced as "doctor" or "professor" etc so listeners might presume he has a degree in THAT subject- when he doesn't.  And also, one can't forget, that people will degrees can also be, or later go, crazy or develop some fringe theories or ideas (sometimes this is good and leads to some innovation or radical new idea or theory, but also just "go crazy" or be in it for some money off the gullible.)

So do you include David Jacobs in this category?   He's a PhD in history who has made a name for himself in ufology through hypnotic regression of a large number of alleged alien abductees.  He's always been upfront he's a PhD as opposed to a medical doctor, and that his doctorate is in history.  Regardless of whether you believe in the effectiveness of regression, do you think he's misrepresenting himself, even if unintentionally?

paladin1991

Quote from: Marc.Knight on September 29, 2015, 05:53:45 PM

Very astute.  It is fraudulent, and especially egregious when an interviewer promotes an individual as a "DR." or "Professor" so and so, as you say.  In some states the presentation of false credentials such as "DR" (PhD / MD) is against the law, let alone very unethical.  However, false creds seem to get people very far in this country... just look at the line-up on C2C.  I'm hoping Art applies better screening when it comes to claiming a guest is a doctor in a particular discipline.

Shit, just look at the Whitehouse!

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 29, 2015, 03:55:46 PM
Phony advanced degrees are stock in trade for paranormal/ufology/conspiracy "researchers".  Few are as outright goofy as the "University of Metaphysics", many are from more legit sounding internet diploma mills.  I've wanted to ask "Dr" Kevin Randle about his PhD for some time, but he never seems to take calls when he does his radio appearances.

Just never make the common mistake of referring to Stan Friedman as "Dr."

Uncle Duke

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 30, 2015, 09:35:02 AM
Just never make the common mistake of referring to Stan Friedman as "Dr."

Yes, I've heard him correct callers who've referred to him as "doctor" on a number of radio shows.

Some years ago I heard Friedman blast well known skeptic Dr. Joe Nickell on the basis of Knickell's three degrees (BA, MA, PhD) being in English, not science.  While I'd read and enjoyed a good number of Nickell's articles on subjects as far afield as UFOs to religious miracles, I also had to agree with Friedman some of Nickell's works did include technically-based assumptions/conclusions I didn't feel he was necessarily qualified to make.  I wonder, however, if Friedman would be as quick to jump on the relevance of the educational credentials, or total lack there of, of those who support his pet theories and well document positions?

SciFiAuthor

Interestingly I've also heard Hoagland correct people when they called him Dr. It's interesting that he, of all people, never went for a phake Ph.D.

paladin1991

SciGuy, I like your fish.  Fire breathing Tunas.  Bitchin.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on September 30, 2015, 09:24:27 AM
So do you include David Jacobs in this category?   He's a PhD in history who has made a name for himself in ufology through hypnotic regression of a large number of alleged alien abductees.  He's always been upfront he's a PhD as opposed to a medical doctor, and that his doctorate is in history.  Regardless of whether you believe in the effectiveness of regression, do you think he's misrepresenting himself, even if unintentionally?
Well, in his defense he got his PhD from UW at Madison, a credible university, and his dissertation "The UFO Controversy in America" was accepted and published. Now, I have not read it but sort of doubt it included his "regression" of abductees and current theories of "hu-brids!" With regard to his current theories, "hypnotic regression", and ufology in general- I think it is all bunk but sometimes fun listening. I believe in UFOs- stuff that is "unidentified" but not in the alien invasion, abductions, or alien craft. I reckon psychological issues, people manipulating fragile people, drug/alcohol/being-tired, a racket to make $$ in conferences and sell books, and/or natural (or man-made) phenomena misinterpreted and secret military aircraft (by us or them.)

inuk2600

Kent Hovind.
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/guest/hovind-kent/5693

As far as I'm concerned a correspondence only course does not entitle you the honor of prefixing your name with Dr.
Just look at that building ???

Uncle Duke

Quote from: inuk2600 on September 30, 2015, 05:47:47 PM
Kent Hovind.
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/guest/hovind-kent/5693

As far as I'm concerned a correspondence only course does not entitle you the honor of prefixing your name with Dr.
Just look at that building ???

Yeah, I'm doubting PBU has much of a football team.

ItsOver

Quote from: SciFiAuthor rlink=topic=8775.msg530360#msg530360 date=1443651539
Interestingly I've also heard Hoagland correct people when they called him Dr. It's interesting that he, of all people, never went for a phake Ph.D.
Yes, surprisingly Hoagie does correct people when they call him Doctor.  Hoagie's academic credentials have been a mystery.  I assume he has at least a high school diploma but I'm not even sure of that.

ziznak

Quote from: ItsOver on September 30, 2015, 07:02:35 PM
Yes, surprisingly Hoagie does correct people when they call him Doctor.  Hoagie's academic credentials have been a mystery.  I assume he has at least a high school diploma but I'm not even sure of that.
A hoagie is a giant sandwich that most people call a submarine sandwich or sub on the rest of the planet.... unfortunately in philly a sub is a hoagie and i eat the italian ones constantly.  Anyways, about the fake degree thing, albrect brought up the problem of "your degree in no way qualifies you to talk about dirt" issue that I've noticed as well... its funny though.  He has a degree in psych but then tells me I need to read his book about dreams and spiritual gay shit... i mean spiritual hetero shit. whatever, people have degrees in one thing then write a book or series in some other shit.  you have to know something's up there!

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on September 30, 2015, 07:02:35 PM
I assume so but who knows? All I know is Norry, apparently, has a B.A. and decades of radio experience and RCH's new show runs circles around Norry in quality and fun. I know that Norry is a low standard, but still. I really like OSOM. Do I buy RCH's torsion theories etc or some of his politics? Nope but he is a surprisingly good raconteur and radio host and is knowledgeable in a lot of subjects. Sure it often leads back to 19.5. But he has some funny stories and interacts well with callers and guests.

paladin1991

Quote from: albrecht on September 30, 2015, 07:58:45 PM
I assume so but who knows? All I know is Norry, apparently, has a B.A. and decades of radio experience and RCH's new show runs circles around Norry in quality and fun. I know that Norry is a low standard, but still. I really like OSOM. Do I buy RCH's torsion theories etc or some of his politics? Nope but he is a surprisingly good raconteur and radio host and is knowledgeable in a lot of subjects. Sure it often leads back to 19.5. But he has some funny stories and interacts well with callers and guests.
Yeah. Bullshitis Artisticas

AppealPlay

University of Metaphysics?  Nice.  They rejected my application.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on September 30, 2015, 07:58:45 PM
Noory certainly isn't a ringing endorsement for achieving a college degree, at least for Communications.  Hoagie is so vocal on so many things, I'm surprised he's never discussed his academic credentials which leads me to believe they must not be worth mentioning.  You'd think he could at least make something up.  It's never stopped him for any other topic.

AppealPlay

It is remarkable that Hoagie hasn't conjured up some bogus degrees.

We should create our own diploma mill.  Let's give Hoagie a Ph.D. in torsion field physics from the University of Braaps.  Hah!  Braaps sounds like a town in Belgium or some such.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on October 01, 2015, 11:50:06 AM
It is remarkable that Hoagie hasn't conjured up some bogus degrees.

We should create our own diploma mill.  Let's give Hoagie a Ph.D. in torsion field physics from the University of Braaps.  Hah!  Braaps sounds like a town in Belgium or some such.

If we're going to go that route, we need an academic credential higher than a Ph.D. that only Hoagland can hold. I'm thinking Bs.M or master bullshit artist Braaps Maestro.

b_dubb

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on October 01, 2015, 10:43:11 AM
i wonder what you'd have to do to get turned down by a school like that. No. I don't want to know. There are things too horrible to even try to put a name to them.

I'll be in the bathroom rinsing the inside of head out with engine degreaser.

Dyna-X

They might have seen you had a real science, mathematics or engineering degree from an accredited institution, that would do it.
"There is no way we can convert this one to our side."

Ah, couldn't afford to buy your course credits?

Just Me

Anyone can order a degree for anything off ebay for 29.95. Why go to an institution for 4 to 8 years shelling out 50,000 bucks or more for a piece a paper with the word degree written on it.

Its the new way for credibility. Get your fake degree now and past it to the wall and take pics then splash it on the internutz

Degree = bullshitter