• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150824 - Dean Radin - Live Show Chat

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 24, 2015, 07:47:48 PM

WhiteCrow

Didn't particape in the chat last night so sorry if it's been said already.

"Yoga can give you super powers, but can't talk about the the specifics" If talk about them, the jealous zealots will destroy you.

My parents, sibs, their spouses and some of thier kids, have spent a life time of effort and thousands of dollars seeking these super/special meditating/yoga powers, to date they have successfully kept all but one of their super/special powers secret from me.

When levitation was the rage decades ago, I did see some of the athletic ones proudly demonstrate it.

shell88

Highly intelligent guest Art.  Thanks so much for having him on!!!.

nika01

Quote from: RoseGirl on August 24, 2015, 11:26:41 PM
this Radin guy knows nothing about what he is talking about

And you presume to know all I suppose? What is an evolved being doing in an internet chat room pissing on someone that is merely exercising his free will ?

SredniVashtar

Quote from: nika01 on August 25, 2015, 10:42:06 AM
And you presume to know all I suppose? What is an evolved being doing in an internet chat room pissing on someone that is merely exercising his free will ?

She's an odd one. Very free with her opinions, which is fair enough, but gets bent out of shape if anyone else dares to utter the slightest criticism.

Mebee

Just listening to this show. Radin's voice is hard to take. It's as if he has a constant 'death rattle' thing going on.

ZomZom

Enjoyed the show very much as I love the topic of conciousness and its effect on reality but the area is rife with woo.  The more important the subject, the higher we should set the bar for claiming knowlege.  I would be curious about the algorithm used regarding the 9/11 'hit' from the Global Conciousness Project, and how well the methodology avoids the Texas sharpshooter fallacy.

In philosophy, the two sides of the dichotomy are called the primacy of existence and the primacy of consciousness.  As far as we can tell, the universe obeys causal law.  Wishful thinking, meditation and prayer have no reliable impact on reality.  To be commanded, nature must be obeyed.  Still, I do have a sneaky suspicion that there might be something to the primacy of consciousness but until there is a landslide of evidence I'm staying in the primacy of existence camp.

nika01

Quote from: SredniVashtar on August 25, 2015, 10:44:25 AM
She's an odd one. Very free with her opinions, which is fair enough, but gets bent out of shape if anyone else dares to utter the slightest criticism.
Yes, have noticed that. It was a bit irritating because from my perspective, he didnt say anything that was outrageous by any stretch.
The most fascinating part of the entire show for me was the ingenious method of doing a Fourier transform of the electron tunneling in Zener diodes. Will be interested to hear how the Burning Man experiment goes. Seems like this approach offers a greater depth to the data than mere random number generators.

aldousburbank

Quote from: nika01 on August 25, 2015, 11:09:39 AM
The most fascinating part of the entire show for me was the ingenious method of doing a Fourier transform of the electron tunneling in Zener diodes. Will be interested to hear how the Burning Man experiment goes. Seems like this approach offers a greater depth to the data than mere random number generators.
Wait...
<mind blown>

nbirnes

Quote from: nika01 on August 25, 2015, 11:09:39 AM
Yes, have noticed that. It was a bit irritating because from my perspective, he didnt say anything that was outrageous by any stretch.

I think he's being careful and meticulous. Could you explain (as if I'm 5) about the pulse and the Fourier transforms? Would they be visible with the right ... readout? Radar?

nbirnes

Quote from: Mebee on August 25, 2015, 10:55:18 AM
Just listening to this show. Radin's voice is hard to take. It's as if he has a constant 'death rattle' thing going on.

We all do, Mebee. It's sometimes subtle, sometimes obvious.

albrecht

Quote from: boxman on August 24, 2015, 11:28:46 PM
Is this the one?

Ha, I think that it is.

I liked the caller who said that "two doesn't exist." I didn't quite grasp what he was trying to say and it seemed to have perplexed Art and the guest as well. There is no  "two." Classic.
Speaking of levitation: didn't Red Elk levitate once when he was talking with Art on C2C?

Fascinating show, very good guest. I've had random precognitive experiences on and off all through my lifetime, a couple  in particular so on spot they were uncanny. The idea of supernormal abilities perhaps being partially genetic is fascinating. A psychologist friend once told me that celts, and celtic women in particular which is my ethnicity, seemed to have more heightened psychic sensors, normal for that and other groups, but maybe not universally common. It was also interesting that he touched on a possible link between some kinds of schizophrenia and very heightened psychic abilities, a premise that was the foundation for the early disturbing scenes in  Sixth Sense, which still ring true. All in all, a very good show. Listening to Dean Radin is always a mind expander.

nbirnes

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on August 25, 2015, 03:52:34 PM
Fascinating show, very good guest. I've had random precognitive experiences on and off all through my lifetime, a couple  in particular so on spot they were uncanny. The idea of supernormal abilities perhaps being partially genetic is fascinating. A psychologist friend once told me that celts, and celtic women in particular which is my ethnicity, seemed to have more heightened psychic sensors, normal for that and other groups, but maybe not universally common. It was also interesting that he touched on a possible link between some kinds of schizophrenia and very heightened psychic abilities, a premise that was the foundation for the early disturbing scenes in  Sixth Sense, which still ring true. All in all, a very good show. Listening to Dean Radin is always a mind expander.

More about the Celts, and the Basque -- that special RH negative factor that many people drawn to these topics share. According to Nick Redfern, this factor is present in about 15 percent of the general population, but in the paranormal community -- 85 percent.

That show is here: http://www.futuretheater.com/2015/08/17/nick-redfern-261/

pyewacket

It was an interesting show. Art will provide us with a wide variety of guests and I'm sure I'll enjoy most of them.

Did anyone have one of these HP 85s? This is what mine looked like.

It had a few games that I remember like Gomoku and Hunt the Wumpus. Haha- you had to type in your moves. Good times.  :)

b_dubb

Quote from: Mebee on August 25, 2015, 10:55:18 AM
If it's not too late can we rename the site bitchandmoan.com? Is that available?

centaurie

Honestly enjoyed the show. Still have a few minutes left to go, as it was one heck of a day.

nika01

Quote from: nbirnes on August 25, 2015, 02:45:27 PM
I think he's being careful and meticulous. Could you explain (as if I'm 5) about the pulse and the Fourier transforms? Would they be visible with the right ... readout? Radar?

Its really fairly simple. A diode normally conducts in one direction, however there is a statistical probability that an electron, every now and then, can "tunnel" in the opposite direction. The frequency of this occurrence is thought to be totally random. This signal is an ordinary flow of electrons that can be amplified by conventional means. Fourier transform cant be explained simply, you will have to google that for yourself. Suffice it to say that the Fourier transform ( which is used all the time in scientific instrumentation), will  give more information about the signal, like phase and amplitude. Its not easy to explain, but it all is grounded in perfectly legitimate science.
What is unique about this approach is that it normally the random pulses are then converted into random numbers through a computer algorithm, here, the phase and frequency (and amplitude) is preserved and plotted. I think this is an absolutely brilliant application of basic physical principles to arrive at truly random analog signals. Quite often the hardcore scientists have objected to the numbers generated by random number generators because they feel they are not truly random. This new approach, as I understand it, gets around all of these objections while at the same time adding depth (phase, amplitude, frequency) to the data. Brilliant.

I know this was not a 5 year old explanation, but it is not an easy thing to comprehend. I am an analytical chemist and use high resolution Fourier transform mass spectrometers in my daily work, so I have had a bit of exposure to the topic.

Quote from: nbirnes on August 25, 2015, 03:58:21 PM
More about the Celts, and the Basque -- that special RH negative factor that many people drawn to these topics share. According to Nick Redfern, this factor is present in about 15 percent of the general population, but in the paranormal community -- 85 percent.

Nancy, thank you. That's the first time I've heard about a possible link with a negative blood factor. While my blood rh antigen is positive, I do have a very rare blood factor that is negative. My aunt, who also was of celtic ethnicity, had her share of precognitive experiences and described seeing a shadow person way, way back before that was ever heard of. She had RH negative blood factor.

Quote from: nika01 on August 25, 2015, 06:00:52 PM
Its really fairly simple. A diode normally conducts in one direction, however there is a statistical probability that an electron, every now and then, can "tunnel" in the opposite direction. The frequency of this occurrence is thought to be totally random. This signal is an ordinary flow of electrons that can be amplified by conventional means. Fourier transform cant be explained simply, you will have to google that for yourself. Suffice it to say that the Fourier transform ( which is used all the time in scientific instrumentation), will  give more information about the signal, like phase and amplitude. Its not easy to explain, but it all is grounded in perfectly legitimate science.
What is unique about this approach is that it normally the random pulses are then converted into random numbers through a computer algorithm, here, the phase and frequency (and amplitude) is preserved and plotted. I think this is an absolutely brilliant application of basic physical principles to arrive at truly random analog signals. Quite often the hardcore scientists have objected to the numbers generated by random number generators because they feel they are not truly random. This new approach, as I understand it, gets around all of these objections while at the same time adding depth (phase, amplitude, frequency) to the data. Brilliant.

I know this was not a 5 year old explanation, but it is not an easy thing to comprehend. I am an analytical chemist and use high resolution Fourier transform mass spectrometers in my daily work, so I have had a bit of exposure to the topic.

Thank you for posting an explanation. If I understand this correctly, I am blown away by the sheer brilliance of this approach. Absolutely amazing. I'm familiar with random number generators. That's a project every evil computer science professor loves to assign third year students, but the elegance of this approach leaves the most commonly  used algorithms  in the dust.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: WhiteCrow on August 25, 2015, 08:26:01 AM
Didn't particape in the chat last night so sorry if it's been said already.

"Yoga can give you super powers, but can't talk about the the specifics" If talk about them, the jealous zealots will destroy you.

My parents, sibs, their spouses and some of thier kids, have spent a life time of effort and thousands of dollars seeking these super/special meditating/yoga powers, to date they have successfully kept all but one of their super/special powers secret from me.

When levitation was the rage decades ago, I did see some of the athletic ones proudly demonstrate it.

Sorry, didn't attach a video to post above, of super/special powers, demonstration of meditating/yoga levitation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kelb5IGbLXM

nbirnes

Quote from: nika01 on August 25, 2015, 06:00:52 PM

Thanks for this. A phrase in the Wiki about Fourier transforms makes me want to keep learning until I decipher all of it: It decomposes a function of time -- a signal.

Quote from: nbirnes on August 25, 2015, 03:58:21 PM

Well that is interesting.

GravitySucks

This was my favorite show so far. I have been interested in the topic since the GCP started and used to keep it running on my PC to listen for the gongs.

I think what made this show the best was Art's enthusiasm and wonder throughout the entire show.

True Theater of the Mind!

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: pyewacket on August 25, 2015, 04:02:05 PM
It was an interesting show. Art will provide us with a wide variety of guests and I'm sure I'll enjoy most of them.

Did anyone have one of these HP 85s? This is what mine looked like.

It had a few games that I remember like Gomoku and Hunt the Wumpus. Haha- you had to type in your moves. Good times.  :)

Wow!  That's a cool looking machine.    :D  I haven't had the chance to try one of those.

Old technology may be old, but the good stuff is still cool.

Robert

Quote from: ZomZom on August 25, 2015, 11:08:54 AMI would be curious about the algorithm used regarding the 9/11 'hit' from the Global Conciousness Project, and how well the methodology avoids the Texas sharpshooter fallacy.
There are ways of handling it statistically.  When you don't know in advance where to look for clustering in the data, you use methods that take into acc't the chance of clustering in random results.

Looking for clustering w/o an a priori null hypothesis about a specific place where clustering might occur is the basis of an entire field of analysis called cluster analysis, which has lots of appl'ns such as in epidemiology & poli. sci.

pyewacket

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on August 25, 2015, 09:13:45 PM
Wow!  That's a cool looking machine.    :D  I haven't had the chance to try one of those.

Old technology may be old, but the good stuff is still cool.

It was a pretty sweet little machine back in the day, JM. I also had it hooked up to a great daisy wheel printer - it was like a good quality typewriter for text. My HP also had that Biorhythms program.  :)