• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150811 - Seth Shostak, SETI - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 11, 2015, 09:31:20 PM

Lilith

Quote from: RoseGirl on August 11, 2015, 10:35:36 PM
Seth has the voice of someone who wears a bow tie.

So, if you ever want to sound chipper, excited about science and...well....really, really smart, here ya go:

I'm starting to get a picture in my mind,  like a science professor on helium.

sydtron

I just watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.  Damn! What a movie!
And now this.  My night is complete.

Quote from: RoseGirl on August 11, 2015, 10:35:36 PM
Seth has the voice of someone who wears a bow tie.

So, if you ever want to sound chipper, excited about science and...well....really, really smart, here ya go:

;D Look out Hollywood Hoagland, Seth is going to be working your corner soon.

Quote from: stevenotero on August 11, 2015, 10:34:08 PM
I just watched the Criterion version of that movie. da fuq
Dude...I went on a big Cronenberg binge last month and marathon'd some ones I had seen with ones I hadn't like The Fly, Scanners, and The Brood (they are on hulu). The ending of The Brood made me want to puke. Body horror is the most disturbing subgenre. Tetsuo: The Iron Man is another freaky Japanese body horror flick that warped my mind. Videodrome is insane.

Kevin Sorbo

Quote from: ChandlersDad on August 11, 2015, 10:38:04 PM
Stop insulting me. I had a higher IQ than you when I was just a fetus.

I didn't think fetuses were life?

Robert

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 11, 2015, 10:36:07 PMRh- just means you don't have an Rh antigen on your red blood cells.  Why would that imply alien intervention?
I suppose the implication (have to draw this out from what that piece might've been saying) from the rxn of Rh- mothers to a 2nd Rh+ fetus implies some sort of exterminate-the-natives bioengrg. by the aliens.

Freyja

So this "Wow" signal was back in 1977. Sounds like Art is setting Shostak up for the bomb question about what Greer said that SETI hid.

This should be good!!!

Quote from: zeebo on August 11, 2015, 10:38:05 PM
I'm staying out of chat tonite since I want to focus on this show but just gotta drop in and say what a pleasure it is to hear such informed and intelligent technical questions.  I'd almost forgotton after so many cringe-inducing Noorie moments, especially with scientists who were way over his head.  This is great Art!

Yeah, I'm missing all the critical info because I'm reading and can't concentrate on two things at once.  I can barely concentrate on one thing at once.

RoseGirl

Who was it that was on MITD the other night that said there was a signal they weren't telling us about?

eddie dean

Kevin Sorbo

Quote from: Freyja on August 11, 2015, 10:41:04 PM
So this "Wow" signal was back in 1977. Sounds like Art is setting Shostak up for the bomb question about what Greer said that SETI hid.

This should be good!!!

Shostak is gonna go off.

Eugene M Rosa

So this A-hole just dismissed the "Wow" signal as interference and then goes on to claim they havent found anything in the 30yrs........He is such a smug scumbag who is the luckiest man on the planet. No Seth the government wouldnt laugh at you for finding a signal, they are funding your institute you vapid douche. God I hate this guy more than Dick C Hoaxland.

ChandlersDad

Quote from: Kevin Sorbo on August 11, 2015, 10:40:20 PM
I didn't think fetuses were life?

I just got a private message here saying "Don't feed the fool", referring to you.

Good advice. Buh bye. I have no more energy to give you.

Lilith

Quote from: eddie dean on August 11, 2015, 10:41:42 PM
Seth, are you sure it wasn't a Cow signal?  ;)

I'm starting to think maybe it was just more cowbell.....

rtz

Tell Sethy to give us the goods!  He's holding back on us.

Quote from: eddie dean on August 11, 2015, 10:41:42 PM
Seth, are you sure it wasn't a Cow signal?  ;)

Cows are no laughing matter. They are killers. (SPOON!)

chefist

Quote from: Freyja on August 11, 2015, 10:41:04 PM

This should be good!!!

;D This is fun, we all know where this is going.

Bounder

Quote from: RoseGirl on August 11, 2015, 10:41:35 PM
Who was it that was on MITD the other night that said there was a signal they weren't telling us about?

Art played a not-that-recent clip of Greer claiming that his one-time "whistelblower" (about a secret ET signal) was SETI co-founder Frank Drake.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: VoteQuimby on August 11, 2015, 10:33:00 PM
I seriously appreciate and share your cynicism.

Yeah I get it that there are new listeners to Art... But like man, been following paranormal many decades now, and it's all rehash ... Except Hoagie is always seeing NEW things on planets, but they are just more of his old stuff in new places :)

That's why I liked RoseGirl a lot she got some cool new stuff to think a about.
She'd make a great guest on Art's show

slippingaway

Quote from: Kevin Sorbo on August 11, 2015, 10:32:16 PM
Lord forgive me for I have sinned.
I sinned too, give me 10 minutes and I'll start sinning again...

Uncle Duke

Quote from: sydtron on August 11, 2015, 10:39:07 PM
I just watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.  Damn! What a movie!
And now this.  My night is complete.

Read the book.....

Quote from: Robert on August 11, 2015, 10:40:29 PM
I suppose the implication (have to draw this out from what that piece might've been saying) from the rxn of Rh- mothers to a 2nd Rh+ fetus implies some sort of exterminate-the-natives bioengrg. by the aliens.

It sounded like that's what he was saying.  I thought it was just a natural immune reaction after building antibodies to the first Rh+ fetus *shrug*

RoseGirl

Quote from: WhiteCrow on August 11, 2015, 10:44:51 PM
Yeah I get it that there are new listeners to Art... But like man, been following paranormal many decades now, and it's all rehash ... Except Hoagie is always seeing NEW things on planets, but they are just more of his old stuff in new places :)

That's why I liked RoseGirl a lot she got some cool new stuff to think a about.
She'd make a great guest on Art's show

omg....the horror, the horror!

Oculary

Quote from: rtz on August 11, 2015, 10:43:18 PM
Tell Sethy to give us the goods!  He's holding back on us.

Right? Spill the beans, Shostak! I hear they practically OWN Central America...