• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 10

Started by Juan, July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM

triola

Quote from: ItsOver on May 04, 2016, 07:46:44 AM
Is there any way to stop these incessant 10 reminders from the MS MF's, before they just ram it down my processor?

Go back a page, look at reply #97 from Logan-5

ziznak

I've been using NEVER10 on a few machines after finding it here...

ItsOver

Morgus

Its easy to stop the Windows 10 reminder stuff, but you have to watch windows 7 updates they try to sneak little stuff in there.
I have my windows 7 updates set for manual and do it once a month and carefully look over info on each of the optional updates and if it has anything to do with "getting ready for windows 10" I hide/disable that particular one.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Morgus on May 05, 2016, 03:33:36 PM
Its easy to stop the Windows 10 reminder stuff, but you have to watch windows 7 updates they try to sneak little stuff in there.
I have my windows 7 updates set for manual and do it once a month and carefully look over info on each of the optional updates and if it has anything to do with "getting ready for windows 10" I hide/disable that particular one.

to stop win10 update notifications in win7, just download this:
ufoship.com/win10.zip
extract it.  run both files as administrator.  reboot.  no more win10 update notifications.

Hog

Quote from: MV on May 05, 2016, 06:39:21 PM
ufoship.com/win10.zip
extract it.  run both files as administrator.  reboot.  no more win10 update notifications.
OK, I downloaded this file from ufoship.com/win10.zip.  It contained 2 files: Disable GWX  and   Disable OSUpgrade.
I highlight each file and then select extract for each, a window appears that is title "COPY"  then shows this

" C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\RRFLNWNU\win10 (3).zip\ "

is to be copied to, I then select OK.

I double clicked on each of them one at a time.  Each time I am queried: "Do you want this program to make changed to your computer?"
I clicked yes for each file.

I am then again queried "Adding information can unintentionally change or delete values and cause components to stop working correctly.  If you do not rust the source of this information in C:\User\downloads\disableGWX.reg, do not add it to the registry.  Are you sure you want to continue?"
I clicked yes for both files.

I am then prompted that "The keys and values contained within C:\User\downloads\disableGWX.reg have been successfully added to the registry."

I then shutdown my PC, then rebooted and was greeted with WINDOWS10 prompts.

What am I doing wrong.

Thanks MV.

peace
Hog

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Hog on May 06, 2016, 11:27:03 AM
OK, I downloaded this file from ufoship.com/win10.zip.  It contained 2 files: Disable GWX  and   Disable OSUpgrade.
I highlight each file and then select extract for each, a window appears that is title "COPY"  then shows this

" C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\RRFLNWNU\win10 (3).zip\ "

is to be copied to, I then select OK.

I double clicked on each of them one at a time.  Each time I am queried: "Do you want this program to make changed to your computer?"
I clicked yes for each file.

I am then again queried "Adding information can unintentionally change or delete values and cause components to stop working correctly.  If you do not rust the source of this information in C:\User\downloads\disableGWX.reg, do not add it to the registry.  Are you sure you want to continue?"
I clicked yes for both files.

I am then prompted that "The keys and values contained within C:\User\downloads\disableGWX.reg have been successfully added to the registry."

I then shutdown my PC, then rebooted and was greeted with WINDOWS10 prompts.

What am I doing wrong.

Thanks MV.

peace
Hog

make sure you run those files from within an administrator account.  check out this article:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-block-windows-10-upgrades-on-your-business-network-and-at-home-too/

The General

Quote from: MV on May 05, 2016, 06:39:21 PM
ufoship.com/win10.zip
Does this fix all Firefub bugs as well?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: The General on May 06, 2016, 01:47:44 PM
Does this fix all Firefub bugs as well?

it only fixes firefub bugs if you're running the floppy diskette version of firefub, available by mail upon request.

the online firefub installer, located at http://www.firrefooo-bb.org/brah, is receiving no bug fixes at this time.  thank you for your interest in firefub.

godspeed.

Lilith

Quote from: MV on May 06, 2016, 02:13:13 PM
it only fixes firefub bugs if you're running the floppy diskette version of firefub, available by mail upon request.

the online firefub installer, located at http://www.firrefooo-bb.org/brah, is receiving no bug fixes at this time.  thank you for your interest in firefub.

Godspeed noble shit poster!

FIFY

Morgus

Those registry patches however don't stop a few Windows 10 related windows updates still appearing for windows 7.
Today one update I got was for the Get Windows 10 app again - of course I checked all the new updates info first before allowing them to be installed and caught that one and manually set it for hidden so it wouldn't install.
But Microsoft seems to push it again every few weeks anyway, so you still have to be alert with windows updates.

Robert

I reverted from Win 10 to 8.2 a few weeks ago.  For the past 2 days, from a normal boot, something starts running in the background about 2 min. in that completely ties up disc read/write traffic.  It takes hold before I can get into the task scheduler, and I can't get into that from safe mode.  (Fortunately I can use safe mode with networking, which is how I'm writing this, but no sound, video, or a bunch of other things.  Wish I could do an interactive boot.)

Now I recall seeing in Task Mgr. a "GWX" process.  I'd been thinking it had to do with weather.  Now I'm reminded here that's short for Get Windows 10.  I haven't been getting any nagging to upgrade, but this is far worse than mere nagware, it's sabotageware.  What steps do I need to take to kill this?

mikuthing01

I decided today i would give Windows 10 a try and i hated it and just reverted back to Windows 7. I wish i wouldn't have wasted my time fucking around with trying 10 out

Morgus

Quote from: mikuthing01 on May 08, 2016, 11:41:56 PM
I decided today i would give Windows 10 a try and i hated it and just reverted back to Windows 7. I wish i wouldn't have wasted my time fucking around with trying 10 out

I did the same thing a few weeks ago.
Fortunately I tested Windows 10 in a separate partition so I could go back to my original Windows 7 intact.
I didn't like that with Windows 10 you can't select things like manual updates and there were too many ads for MS apps, etc.
I'll wait until Windows 7 support expires at least in several years and when there is more driver and app support for Windows 10.

analog kid

It's only a free upgrade until the 29th of this month. Then it'll cost $100 or so.

There are ways around that though.

Quote from: analog kid on May 09, 2016, 02:16:45 AM
It's only a free upgrade until the 29th of this month. Then it'll cost $100 or so.

I would not install Win10 if THEY paid ME $100.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: mikuthing01 on May 08, 2016, 11:41:56 PM

it's a mistake to upgrade from one version of windows to another.  you need to save your data, wipe the drive, and do a clean install using your machine's win7 product key.  from there, win10 is almost identical to win7 with a few cosmetic exceptions.  i can't imagine what deal breakers you'd find in win10 if you're previously happy with win7.

Quote from: MV on May 09, 2016, 10:10:12 AM
it's a mistake to upgrade from one version of windows to another.  you need to save your data, wipe the drive, and do a clean install using your machine's win7 product key.  from there, win10 is almost identical to win7 with a few cosmetic exceptions.  i can't imagine what deal breakers you'd find in win10 if you're previously happy with win7.

Um, the relentless hoovering of personal information?

I know that some (maybe you are one of them) don't care about this, but others do, and their feelings are just as valid as those who don't care.

And I'm just amazed that you would cast the user interface as "almost identical" to Win 7.  The interface is very different from Win 7 and you will spend a lot of time being lost until you relearn many things you knew how to do in Win 7.

Lilith

Quote from: MV on May 09, 2016, 10:10:12 AM

^He's RIGHT ya know.
You can use the media creation tool to make an install usb or disc for Windows10 from the instructions on this page:

https://techjourney.net/download-official-windows-10-iso-via-usb-dvd-media-creation-tool-without-product-key/

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 09, 2016, 10:15:31 AM
Um, the relentless hoovering of personal information?
easily disabled upon installation.

The interface is very different from Win 7 and you will spend a lot of time being lost until you relearn many things you knew how to do in Win 7.
that hasn't been my experience at all.

Lilith

Quote from: MV on May 09, 2016, 10:29:59 AM
and so it is written.

so let it be done!

Praise MV!

Lilith

Quote from: MV on May 09, 2016, 10:33:01 AM
and so it was.

and so it shall be forevermore!

Praise MV!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: brig on May 09, 2016, 10:34:31 AM
and so it shall be forevermore!

Praise MV!

so say we all.

edit:  oops, already used that one.

Lilith

Quote from: MV on May 09, 2016, 10:35:50 AM
so say we all.

edit:  oops, already used that one.

It bears repeating many times!

So Say We ALL!

...as it was in the beginning.....

Praise MV!

Hog

Thanks MV, it works great.  It doesnt feel like I'm pissing razor blades anymore.

peace
Hog

Noorynoid

I was blind, i could not see. Praise MV, praise MV.