Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 47234 times)

Re: Windows 10
« Reply #600 on: February 19, 2019, 08:18:04 AM »

I'm in the USA and I don't feel like I've experienced those issues with Windows 10, and I've installed it on hundreds of machines with a seemingly limitless number of random hardware configurations.  To me, Win10 feels like the cleanest, most responsive and stable version of Windows ever.  It runs far smoother on older hardware than Windows 7, and it's my opinion that Win10 is far snappier on a given piece of hardware than any mainstream Linux variant I've tried recently.

There are annoyances in Win10, but they can all be adequately addressed/configured to my satisfaction.  Perhaps not yours, but that's how things go, sometimes.

Praise MV!

« Reply #601 on: February 19, 2019, 10:10:32 AM »
edit:  No, you can't.  You shouldn't be using Internet Explorer anyway, though, and they shouldn't be including it with Windows in 2019.  I don't know why they do.  Surely an update will rip it out soon.

Only Microsuck could produce two browsers simultaneously and have one be incompatible, lol! ;D

I'm in the USA and I don't feel like I've experienced those issues with Windows 10, and I've installed it on hundreds of machines with a seemingly limitless number of random hardware configurations.  To me, Win10 feels like the cleanest, most responsive and stable version of Windows ever.  It runs far smoother on older hardware than Windows 7, and it's my opinion that Win10 is far snappier on a given piece of hardware than any mainstream Linux variant I've tried recently.

There are annoyances in Win10, but they can all be adequately addressed/configured to my satisfaction.  Perhaps not yours, but that's how things go, sometimes.

True dat, it's the bestest most shiny piece of spyware and ill-conceived bridge OS ever to try and marry a failed cell phone venture with near-dead PC gaming and something so desktop market obsolete that even the Wintel monicker no longer imbues it with a halo of respectability.

Its greatest achievement - not being Windoze 8. :-\

« Reply #602 on: February 19, 2019, 06:59:35 PM »

Praise MV!
Okay brig, so what browser do you use?

« Reply #603 on: February 19, 2019, 07:21:56 PM »
Yes, you can.  I just did it.  It's sluggish, though.  It's as if the legacy cut/paste system that's been baked into Windows for a reeeeally long time isn't being used.  As to the data loss claim, I'm not gonna bother testing that one out.

you can't just type "internet explorer" in the start menu and then drag the icon to the desktop? 

edit:  No, you can't.  You shouldn't be using Internet Explorer anyway, though, and they shouldn't be including it with Windows in 2019.  I don't know why they do.  Surely an update will rip it out soon.

Like I said, now the user is a geek.  Just like now the receptionist does payroll, tech support, answers for 4 other branches and does janitorial.  Okay.   I wouldn't mind being a geek, but as it stands I just fell for the Microsoft tech support scam today.  Not much harm was done.  The weirdo on the phone said, "Your computer is moving very slow."  I told him I thought the battery died, but actually I turned it off when the guy acted unprofessional  ("How old are you?"  "When will you be home again?"  "What do you use your computer for?"  "We won't charge you because you are using your device to look for a job.")  I think another factory reset will take care of it.  Nothing was installed.  I came to the library and found out it was a scam.  I got the virus from the Contact Us on Craigslist, after contacting them about auto-flagging programs abusing my resume.  Every time I post my resume, it is down within 2 hours.  And I can't re-post until Craigslist dries out for a couple days.  Then when I re-post, they are auto-flagged & taken down again in 2 hours.  For months.  It could be a for-profit job search agency taking people down.  It could be a peer who wants the same job I do.  It could be haters.  A lot of my work over the last few years came from Craigslist.  At the library, I contacted them again to tell them their contact page could be infected.  While I tried to cut & paste between tabs, all the field data was lost in Chrome.  So, I opened Firefox and cut and pasted from Firefox to Chrome.  Weird to be able to cut & paste from afar, but not close up.

But I thought W10 had built-in Defender.  I had just done a factory reset because of slowness.

I read everyone's comments about IE.  It is appalling that a job application went better in IE than Edge.  I'll keep my eye on that tab auto-refresh preference.

I finally got the IE shortcut on my home device, a paltry system but I'm afraid to install Chrome or FF again because last time I did, my device got really slow loading pages - maybe an unrelated issue but I just am not ready to take a chance again.

This Bellgab topic (Technology) has helped me a lot.  People here are very knowledgeable and down-to-earth.  I have not found a topic like this on Ellgab.

« Reply #604 on: March 03, 2019, 04:11:56 AM »
It is appalling that a job application went better in IE than Edge.

Perhaps the website wasn't compliant with modern browser standards.  In other words, the website's owner got the site working well on IE long ago when that was a thing, but they never bothered to evolve it from there.  If so, that's more of a commentary on that website than the Edge browser.

Having said that, a few months ago I did try using Edge exclusively for about a week on all of my PCs.  There were plenty of reasons the trial didn't continue beyond a week.  Edge felt clunky and second rate.  My biggest gripe was that Edge doesn't use the legacy Windows menu system at all.  It uses the stripped down, graphically "modern" menu system that you see in Win10's Microsoft Store apps.  In other words, when you right click, you don't get the type of menu (and the range of options) you'd get in any other browser.

« Reply #605 on: March 03, 2019, 05:39:24 AM »

But I thought W10 had built-in Defender.  I had just done a factory reset because of slowness.

Windows 10 has built in Defender, but if your new computer came with another system installed, like Norton, or McAfee,  you have to turn them off and uninstall them first, then turn Windows Defender on.  Having two security systems running at the same time, is one of the most common cause of many issues.

« Reply #606 on: March 06, 2019, 03:18:13 AM »

Windows 10 has built in Defender, but if your new computer came with another system installed, like Norton, or McAfee,  you have to turn them off and uninstall them first, then turn Windows Defender on.  Having two security systems running at the same time, is one of the most common cause of many issues.
I've heard that, too.  You seem to be the only one who remembers.  I'll keep it in mind.

« Reply #607 on: March 06, 2019, 03:20:15 AM »
Perhaps the website wasn't compliant with modern browser standards.  In other words, the website's owner got the site working well on IE long ago when that was a thing, but they never bothered to evolve it from there.  If so, that's more of a commentary on that website than the Edge browser.

Having said that, a few months ago I did try using Edge exclusively for about a week on all of my PCs.  There were plenty of reasons the trial didn't continue beyond a week.  Edge felt clunky and second rate.  My biggest gripe was that Edge doesn't use the legacy Windows menu system at all.  It uses the stripped down, graphically "modern" menu system that you see in Win10's Microsoft Store apps.  In other words, when you right click, you don't get the type of menu (and the range of options) you'd get in any other browser.
Yes.  To me, a website should look and act the same in any browser, just like a franchise looks and acts the same whether it's on a mountain or in a valley.  Oh well.

« Reply #608 on: March 07, 2019, 12:27:30 AM »
Does Window 10's security cover downloaded browers too, or only the Microsoft browser on board?
Windows, "security?"