• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art's Charts: Midnight in the Desert Bumper Music

Started by Dyna-X, July 28, 2015, 12:56:12 AM

Dyna-X

I've started this thread for all who wish to keep track Midnight in the Desert bumper music and make commentary on it. As I understand it Art is in general avoiding pre-1972 selections.  There is another thread that details his bumper music in general and allows for BellGab member suggestions. Please continue to post those suggestions there if this is where Art is looking.  This thread is purely for documenting the current 175 tunes on Art's player for Midnight in the Desert. This is tonights list.

Morgus

Great work Dyna-X!
You should send your bumper music lists for each show each night to Keith Rowland so he can add it to the website including a summary of each night's show.

cweb

Quote from: Morgus on July 28, 2015, 01:58:58 AM
Great work Dyna-X!
You should send your bumper music lists for each show each night to Keith Rowland so he can add it to the website including a summary of each night's show.
This, please!

Thanks, Dyna-X!

Dyna-X

Thanks trostol. Morgus and cweb - I sent this idea off to Keith Rowland with examples about 5 days ago, with no response thus far.  Perhaps he is just too busy and/or considers this trivial. After all hes just making sure everything works right for 40,000 plus listeners - no small task.  It might be up to us to take the lead, in which case I volunteer.

At the end of this week I am going to add to this thread a summary of everything thus far with the play statistics and year of release - almost like the old style 70s radio surveys  ;)

Morgus

Yes Keith Rowland is obviously over-worked, he  needs some assistants and volunteers to take care of the non-technical stuff like this...

devoidzero

Has Art used any of our suggestions from the Bumper Music thread?  It seems like he's simply been playing his old standbys from C2C in the '90s and early 2000s.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it would be cool if he changed it up a bit.  He did say he was going to listen to all our suggestions... maybe none of them made the cut?

Dyna-X

Thanks Hengestone and Popple :) And devoidzero, he has indeed made some new selections for MITD - like Argent - Hold Your Head Up, Steve Miller Band- Serenade, Survivor - Eye of the Tiger - and even newer songs from Big Black Delta, Jason Mraz, Jean Michel Jarre and that oddball but sweeping and beautiful rock instrumental - as yet unidentified. Was later than I wanted getting this one posted but wanted to double check a couple things from the Time Traveler podcast and of course, morning coffee :)

devoidzero

Thanks for the info Dyna-X.  Very cool that he's used some of our suggestions.  I Shazam'd the instrumental and it's from the Cowboys and Aliens movie soundtrack.  The title is "Jake Lonergran" by the Hollywood Studio Symphony.  Here's the full piece on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny7GJOqoxLY

Dyna-X

Wow, thanks for that devoidzero!! Thats really cool how Shazam can find these!  The official artist/title/year  Harry Gregson Williams - Jake Lonegran (2011). Sounds like a fun movie as well. Anyhow, here is the chart for last night.

Dyna-X

Well, that was fun! 46 Billion Light Years Away? I was almost expecting the Rolling Stones - 2000 Light Years would play.  Here is tonights chart:

AppealPlay

I just want to say awesome job and the format you put the songs in is really cool looking.  It reminds me of the terminals from the Fallout games.

Dyna-X

Quote from: AppealPlay on July 31, 2015, 03:38:39 AM
I just want to say awesome job and the format you put the songs in is really cool looking.  It reminds me of the terminals from the Fallout games.

Thanks, A.P. - The funny thing is, that back during the days that many of Art's classic bumpers were hits, the green sceen monochrome monitors were typical - then they appeared in classic movies like "Wargames", "Aliens", and "The Matrix" - and now some new games and applications such as distraction free word-processors :)

This is a great thing your doing.  I can identify the 4th song of the July 28th show as Inca Dance by Cusco.

zeebo

Quote from: devoidzero on July 28, 2015, 03:39:51 PM
Has Art used any of our suggestions from the Bumper Music thread?  It seems like he's simply been playing his old standbys from C2C in the '90s and early 2000s.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it would be cool if he changed it up a bit.  He did say he was going to listen to all our suggestions... maybe none of them made the cut?

I think Oxygene by J.M. Jarre was played, which someone here suggested and I don't remember him ever playing before.  I like his bumpers so far but I agree I hope he mixes it up a bit more.  There are some good suggestions on that thread.  I was going to post some more myself but wasn't sure if it's still being looked at.

Just to piss off JC he should play some GG Allin or Slayer.  ;D

Dyna-X

Quote from: boilingpitsofsewage on July 31, 2015, 05:36:27 PM
Just to piss off JC he should play some GG Allin or Slayer.  ;D
LOL, JC is so tempremental that The Pointer Sisters would upset him. Anyhow, is the list for last night. (7/31)

phrodo

I would like to add my thanks to you Dyna-X for posting the bumper music. By chance are you the one that posted the complete list of all time Art's Charts on facebook? If so I was the one who asked if you could join and post it as an attachment here on Bellgab. And also if so -- could you post the complete list from there? Please?

stevenotero

Quote from: Dyna-X on July 28, 2015, 12:56:12 AMThere is another thread that details his bumper music in general and allows for BellGab member suggestions. Please continue to post those suggestions there if this is where Art is looking.
Thank you for this! Btw, I can't seem to find the bumper music thread/suggestion for bumper music thread. Can someone please link me in the right direction?

Dyna-X

Quote from: stevenotero on August 02, 2015, 03:34:04 AM
Thank you for this! Btw, I can't seem to find the bumper music thread/suggestion for bumper music thread. Can someone please link me in the right direction?

Its in the Art Bell subforum, the same as this one, but its on the second page in. So, further South ;) And your welcome, its fun keeping track of these :)

Dyna-X

Last nights list. Gotta love how Art casually just took the helm and changed direction when the planned guests jumped ship (or whatever happened).

zeebo

Quote from: Dyna-X on August 04, 2015, 02:04:35 PM
Last nights list. ..

That unknown one, I thought it might be Parliament/Funkadelic but ShayP thought it was Prince.  Maybe that'll help you track it down.

stevenotero

Quote from: zeebo on August 04, 2015, 02:09:54 PM
That unknown one, I thought it might be Parliament/Funkadelic but ShayP thought it was Prince.  Maybe that'll help you track it down.
Look up the lyrics and compare with this song.

This was it, appeared to be a remix of sorts though.

Although the song is most def Rihanna - Sexuality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwl6ypb3JI

ItsOver

Quote from: stevenotero on August 04, 2015, 02:18:06 PM
Look up the lyrics and compare with this song.

This was it, appeared to be a remix of sorts though.

Although the song is most def Rihanna - Sexuality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwl6ypb3JI
Yes, I distinctly picked up that voice.  I can't say I'm a fan, at all.  It sure was out of synch with a typical Art selection.  I don't mind Art trying something new but it just didn't fit my MiTD vibe. 

Dyna-X

Quote from: phrodo on August 01, 2015, 04:01:55 PM
I would like to add my thanks to you Dyna-X for posting the bumper music. By chance are you the one that posted the complete list of all time Art's Charts on facebook? If so I was the one who asked if you could join and post it as an attachment here on Bellgab. And also if so -- could you post the complete list from there? Please?

Phrodo, sorry, for some reason I just saw your request here today.  The caveat for all using this list is to understand it is only current through the official start of Midnight in the Desert on July 20. I will have a new one out (probably around the end of the first month with a few additions that have came to light from old shows, and of course all from MITD.