• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

USA TODAY Poll says 70% of Americans believe news media is intentionally biased

Started by 21st Century Man, July 05, 2015, 03:22:17 AM

I thought this was interesting.

Nearly three quarters of Americans believe the news media reports with an intentional bias, according to a new survey.

The 2015 State of the First Amendment Survey, conducted by the First Amendment Center and USA Today, was released Friday. It shows that only 24 percent of American adults agree with the statement that "overall, the news media tries to report the news without bias," while 70 percent disagree.

When the question was asked last year, 41 percent agreed, a 17-point difference.

"These are discouraging results for those of us who have spent our careers in journalism," Ken Paulson, president of the First Amendment Center, wrote in an op-ed for USA Today on Thursday. "In 23 years in newsrooms, I saw consistent and concerted efforts to get stories right. Clearly, the public's not convinced."

More At.....

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poll-70-percent-of-americans-believe-news-media-is-intentionally-biased/article/2567583

I think its interesting how news media personalities are portrayed as bad, annoying or dirty characters in modern media. I popped like a five year being shown a card trick when the annoying SJW reporter in House of Cards got killed off suddenly. In the political show Boss, the lead reporter was shown as corrupt and ignorant.

I think the internet as murdered news media's credibility. The television news became more sensationalist and click-baity to keep up with the internet which has turned the whole thing into a clusterfuck of propaganda.

Quick Karl

Quote from: 21st Century Man on July 05, 2015, 03:22:17 AM

Nearly three quarters of Americans believe the news media reports with an intentional bias, according to a new survey.

The 2015 State of the First Amendment Survey, conducted by the First Amendment Center and USA Today, was released Friday. It shows that only 24 percent of American adults agree with the statement that "overall, the news media tries to report the news without bias," while 70 percent disagree.

When the question was asked last year, 41 percent agreed, a 17-point difference.

"These are discouraging results for those of us who have spent our careers in journalism," Ken Paulson, president of the First Amendment Center, wrote in an op-ed for USA Today on Thursday. "In 23 years in newsrooms, I saw consistent and concerted efforts to get stories right. Clearly, the public's not convinced."

More At.....

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poll-70-percent-of-americans-believe-news-media-is-intentionally-biased/article/2567583

Journalism is no longer about reporting facts so that Citizens can come to their own conclusions - journalism today is about twisting some facts, omitting other facts, and perpetrating lies, to advance a personal agenda.

Walter Cronkite is the originator of this scourge.

Juan

I thought the people polled had an absurd position.  Then I saw the photos of journalists actually corralled with ropes during a Hillary event yesterday.  In my day, only a few years ago, we would have cut the ropes, literally, and then written highly critical stories.  I've seen none from this incident.  So (ha) maybe the people polled have a point.

Quote from: Quick Karl on July 05, 2015, 07:19:13 AM
Journalism is no longer about reporting facts so that Citizens can come to their own conclusions - journalism today is about twisting some facts, omitting other facts, and perpetrating lies, to advance a personal agenda.

I agree with this, except maybe the part about it "no longer" being about reporting facts.  Most journalists are amoral frog shit, and it's been that way since forever.

pyewacket

I agree. 6 companies control most of the media. They also control the message, they can determine how, what, and when the public gets the information they want to promote. Sure the internet has bias, but it also reports news that the main 6 don't. It's up to the individual to actively seek information now. Otherwise, they can be content to have someone else decide for them.

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6

ItsOver

A USA TODAY Poll?  The fact they need a poll to tell them this is amusing.

SciFiAuthor

Far out, the average person now understands that the media is biased again. Well, that's certainly a good thing over the days of people like Cronkite being eminently trusted just because he said to trust him. But the sad fact is  the that media has ALWAYS been biased and Americans used to make fun of that.

Here's a cartoon from 1898 when Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst tricked the United States into a needless, frivolous war with Spain that we've conveniently mostly forgot.

WOTR

How can it be that only 70% of people believe this?  It seems that so many sources show an obvious slant... Thank goodness for the few outlets like FOX and Huffington who still report stories truthfully, honestly and without bias.

ItsOver

Quote from: WOTR on July 05, 2015, 01:43:43 PM
How can it be that only 70% of people believe this?  It seems that so many sources show an obvious slant... Thank goodness for the few outlets like FOX and Huffington who still report stories truthfully, honestly and without bias.
Look at the current culture, where the lowest of the low are glorified and PC Speak abounds.  I'm surprised it's as high as 70%.

Quick Karl

Quote from: ItsOver on July 05, 2015, 02:41:03 PM
Look at the current culture, where the lowest of the low are glorified and PC Speak abounds.  I'm surprised it's as high as 70%.

Jerry Springer glorified scum (was that politically incorrect?).

paladin1991

More At.....

Well, no shit.  Most of those so called journalists would dig up their dead mother and whore her out at half price for a by line.

paladin1991

Quote from: Juan on July 05, 2015, 10:32:23 AM
I thought the people polled had an absurd position.  Then I saw the photos of journalists actually corralled with ropes during a Hillary event yesterday.  In my day, only a few years ago, we would have cut the ropes, literally, and then written highly critical stories.  I've seen none from this incident.  So (ha) maybe the people polled have a point.

They have been cowed, Juan.  Impressed by the 'power' that dazzles and impresses.  Cut the rope and find yourself banned fm events, credentials pulled and fired by your organization.  Next writing job will be taking orders at a carwash, "Want the tires dressed today, Sir? Only an extra dollar.'

paladin1991

Quote from: Quick Karl on July 05, 2015, 05:26:14 PM
Jerry Springer glorified scum (was that politically incorrect?).
NO, it's not.  You forgot whore mongering.  Add that and you have a winner.

Eddie Coyle

Hilliary Clinton is finally doing an interview. With CNN's Brianna Keilar...who recently attended the wedding of two of Hillary's staffers. Because she socializes with them. Regularly.

Where does this idea of bias come from? You cynical people scare me.  ;)

Eddie Coyle

Patti Solis Doyle has joined CNN. Clinton News Network with Jeff Zucker as chief strategist.

chefist

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 14, 2015, 12:49:30 PM

Patti Solis Doyle has joined CNN. Clinton News Network with Jeff Zucker as chief strategist.

It's just so ridiculous that people can't see the bias in media...

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/polisci/faculty/groseclose/Media.Bias.8.htm

Zoo

Americans are too fucking stupid to even understand that they are not even free much less if the media is bias. They just saw it on a TV show and said yup thats got to be true!!1

onan

We all want our privacy. We want to be secure.

What freedom do you wish to have that you do not?

onan

Quote from: Jackstar on July 16, 2015, 08:18:55 AM

http://www.maps.org/research/mdma

I knew someone would bring up drugs or pharmaceuticals (not a strong line between them, imo). But as freedoms go is our world so bad?

Jackstar

Quote from: onan on July 16, 2015, 10:12:37 AM
I knew someone would bring up drugs or pharmaceuticals (not a strong line between them, imo).

I knew you would minimize and ignore my point, so I'll make it more clear for you:

This gal is not only allowed, but gets paid to promote and glorify irresponsible substance abuse on a global scale;

But it's worth one's genitals in a rhino's mouth to do legitimate science research with a vast array of potent entheogens, and it has been for decades.

Is that really so bad? You tell me, Herr Mengele.

Jackstar

Quote from: onan on July 16, 2015, 10:12:37 AM
But as freedoms go is our world so bad?

I'm embarrassed for you if you're actually asking.

Quote"The United States leads the world in the number of people incarcerated in federal and state correctional facilities. There are currently more than 2 million people in American prisons or jails. Approximately one-quarter of those people held in U.S. prisons or jails have been convicted of a drug offense. The United States incarcerates more people for drug offenses than any other country. With an estimated 6.8 million Americans struggling with drug abuse or dependence, the growth of the prison population continues to be driven largely by incarceration for drug offenses."

"Substance-involved people have come to compose a large portion of the prison population. Substance use may play a role in the commission of certain crimes: approximately 16 percent of people in state prison and 18 percent of people in federal prison reported committing their crimes to obtain money for drugs.21 Treatment delivered in the community is one of the most cost-effective ways to prevent such crimes and costs approximately $20,000 less than incarceration per person per year.22 A study by the Washington State Institute for Public Policy found that every dollar spent on drug treatment in the community yields over $18 in cost savings related to crime.23 In comparison, prisons only yield $.37 in public safety benefit per dollar spent. Releasing people to supervision and making treatment accessible is an effective way of reducing problematic drug use, reducing crime associated with drug use and reducing the number of people in prison."

And all of this is simply symptomatic of a much larger problem. Best of luck!

onan

Quote from: Jackstar on July 16, 2015, 11:07:54 AM
I'm embarrassed for you if you're actually asking.

And all of this is simply symptomatic of a much larger problem. Best of luck!

I've been embarrassed with your presence since day one... so I guess we are even.

If Miley Cyrus makes you skeered... good.

You are right we do incarcerate a larger percentage of our population than other countries. I didn't say we lived in a perfect world.

I think it is institutionalized racism. I get screamed down a great deal for that position.

Quick Karl

Quote from: onan on July 16, 2015, 03:30:35 PMI think it is institutionalized racism.

I know you cannot stand when I kick a hole into one of your elite, intellectually superior, science-based, liberal fairytales, but, institutional racism on the part of whom - the elite, intellectually superior, science-based racist judges that infect our courtrooms throughout our country? You mean to tell me they all just hate black folks? Or is it that all juries consist only of racist white folks that secretly want black people to be slaves? Or is it that States and the Fed are really all racists plantation-owner wannabees so they wrote anti-blackie laws and those warm, sweet, liberal judges are just powerless?

Dr. Onan, when was the last time you beat your wife, or significant other?