• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: norland2424 on October 23, 2016, 04:21:42 PM
it was a running joke to annoy people, but yea she was getting tired at the way hoagies show was degrading into just misinformed politics and a recycle of crappy guests.

Not buying it. She loved crazy best. She always hated it when there was a guest that we were all taking a little more seriously.  ;)

norland2424

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 24, 2016, 02:38:57 AM
Not buying it. She loved crazy best. She always hated it when there was a guest that we were all taking a little more seriously.  ;)

that she did, but what i was saying is she got tired of morningstar, that one lady that hoagie always has on, his wife, and 24/7 political shit from hoagie

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: norland2424 on October 24, 2016, 03:00:08 AM
that she did, but what i was saying is she got tired of morningstar, that one lady that hoagie always has on, his wife, and 24/7 political shit from hoagie

Yeah, Hoagie opted for a panel show rather than a real call in show and it all went downhill from there. If only he had a producer who could help him toughen up a little but alas, his fragile ego cannot forgo such intrusions into his model.  ;)

norland2424

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 24, 2016, 04:06:05 AM
Yeah, Hoagie opted for a panel show rather than a real call in show and it all went downhill from there. If only he had a producer who could help him toughen up a little but alas, his fragile ego cannot forgo such intrusions into his model.  ;)

he shouldnt have fucked over rossy and the show would still have good guests  :-\

K_Dubb

Quote from: zeebo on October 24, 2016, 12:42:46 AM
Very interesting!  I recall a quote from one of my favorite writers, Paul Theroux, who was commenting I think on the Carnival festival, saying "Only when people put their masks on do we see who they truly are."  At first it sounds counter-intuitive until you think about it a bit.

Yep.  I am not a theater guy but as a metaphor for human behavior I haven't come across a better one.  Looking at babies (not your own, where nature predisposes you to a certain blindness, but other people's), you see how quickly they learn to act to get something they want.  It's fundamental.

By adulthood most people have crafted a general persona that works so well they begin to identify with it, believing it is somehow authentic, and inflexibility sets in.  I think that's what happened to Hoagie.  He still acts like the young, cosseted whiz-kid from some backwater who dazzled the grown-ups with his science talk, and the costume is many sizes too small and badly frayed at the knees.

He needs someone to frame it gently, disabuse him of any allegiance he owes to the canard of authenticity, and help him see that it's ok (and, indeed, smart and youthful) to abandon an old suit for a new one to get what he wants.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 24, 2016, 07:03:20 AM
Yep.  I am not a theater guy but as a metaphor for human behavior I haven't come across a better one.  Looking at babies (not your own, where nature predisposes you to a certain blindness, but other people's), you see how quickly they learn to act to get something they want.  It's fundamental.

By adulthood most people have crafted a general persona that works so well they begin to identify with it, believing it is somehow authentic, and inflexibility sets in.  I think that's what happened to Hoagie.  He still acts like the young, cosseted whiz-kid from some backwater who dazzled the grown-ups with his science talk, and the costume is many sizes too small and badly frayed at the knees.

He needs someone to frame it gently, disabuse him of any allegiance he owes to the canard of authenticity, and help him see that it's ok (and, indeed, smart and youthful) to abandon an old suit for a new one to get what he wants.

So true. This is one of the reasons I love Game of Thrones so much because it takes an immersion into a total fantasy world of magic and dragons to reveal what we're all really like. ;)

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 24, 2016, 02:29:43 AM
If Hoagie had any sense he'd hire kdubb to do his marketing...thatis, if he still had a show.  :'(

Haha what he needs is someone to create a better character for him to play.  I'm just fooling around with the pictures I make, but there's usually a subtext.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 24, 2016, 07:22:35 AM
Haha what he needs is someone to create a better character for him to play.  I'm just fooling around with the pictures I make, but there's usually a subtext.

No, but there's a real post modern irony in your stuff that really appeals to me and probably a lot of others and also speaks to the very crux of the biscuit with Hoagie in what we're talking about here: It's that he needs to take himself a little less seriously and understand that what he's doing is more a kind of speculative science fiction than science itself. Perhaps sometimes this fiction hits on the truth a little. Presented honestly this way I think we'd all be OK with it. I would still listen to a show like that, anyway. I think he's really missing an opportunity in not taking it this way and using your art to market the show that way would be perfect.  ;)

K_Dubb

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 24, 2016, 07:30:20 AM
No, but there's a real post modern irony in your stuff that really appeals to me and probably a lot of others and also speaks to the very crux of the biscuit with Hoagie in what we're talking about here: It's that he needs to take himself a little less seriously and understand that what he's doing is more a kind of speculative science fiction than science itself. Perhaps sometimes this fiction hits on the truth a little. Presented honestly this way I think we'd all be OK with it. I would still listen to a show like that, anyway. I think he's really missing an opportunity in not taking it this way and using your art to market the show that way would be perfect.  ;)

As others have pointed out, he's trying to be a Hubbard-style prophet with his stuff, take the ancient-aliens business and tie it all up with a bow and tell us what it means.  But the world is a lot more cynical -- the new age is dead.  We still like the space woo but now, instead of using it to set up new gods, we want to use it to bash our old ones, government and religion and science, for covering it up.  Or maybe cuz bashing them is just fun.

But not with crusading stridency, taking it to the streets; we prefer to consider it as cognoscenti, seated in comfy chairs with snifters of brandy, perhaps in a library.  Who better to entertain these propositions than the erstwhile pith-helmeted explorer of pyramids, well-connected and enthusiastic (though strictly amateur) astronomer and NASA groupie, connoisseur of classic science fiction, and celebrated, linguistically gifted raconteur, Uncle Hoagie?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: WOTR on October 23, 2016, 12:09:57 PM
Interesting.  No drama?  Is she aware that this is BellGab and even a poster with a dozen posts should make a scene, stomp their feet and throw a tantrum prior to departing?  ;)

Thanks- I will have to go search her posts...

when it's not done publicly, it's usually reserved for my inbox.  she did neither, though, so kudos to her.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: mv on October 24, 2016, 08:08:33 AM
when it's not done publicly, it's usually reserved for my inbox.  she did neither, though, so kudos to her.

Your inbox though is usually filled with the bleatings from the 'Patriots' who get all whiney because they had a new one torn unexpectedly.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 24, 2016, 08:00:19 AM
As others have pointed out, he's trying to be a Hubbard-style prophet with his stuff, take the ancient-aliens business and tie it all up with a bow and tell us what it means.  But the world is a lot more cynical -- the new age is dead.  We still like the space woo but now, instead of using it to set up new gods, we want to use it to bash our old ones, government and religion and science, for covering it up.  Or maybe cuz bashing them is just fun.

But not with crusading stridency, taking it to the streets; we prefer to consider it as cognoscenti, seated in comfy chairs with snifters of brandy, perhaps in a library.  Who better to entertain these propositions than the erstwhile pith-helmeted explorer of pyramids, well-connected and enthusiastic (though strictly amateur) astronomer and NASA groupie, connoisseur of classic science fiction, and celebrated, linguistically gifted raconteur, Uncle Hoagie?

That's what I'm taking about. If Hoagie could just shift his perspective a little to see this possible evolution of himself we would probably all be listening every night or at least those three nights of the week that he decided to show up for, anyway.  ;)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: theONE on October 23, 2016, 10:20:59 PM
I can see that truth hurts ,LMAO

It would be great if you'd link to images on other servers rather than attaching a minimum of two images to each of your posts.  They take up space on the server, which is really not a very good use of drive space.

To do this, your code should look as follows:

[img]http://bullcrap.com/image.jpg[/img]

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 24, 2016, 08:25:02 AM
Your inbox though is usually filled with the bleatings from the 'Patriots' who get all whiney because they had a new one torn unexpectedly.

that's news to me, unless you're referring to "quick karl"... but i'd consider him anything but a patriot.

paladin1991

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 24, 2016, 08:25:02 AM

Hehehhe.  Do they even have Patriots in bloody England? 

paladin1991

Soooooo.  If the hoaxster is off the air, should I turn off all the 'puters, pads and cell phones that I used to dial up his show with?  I mean, a mans gotta (uselessly) eat (bandwitdth).

onan

Quote from: paladin1991 on October 24, 2016, 10:54:31 AM

I really miss the dirty talking paladin.

theONE

Quote from: mv on October 24, 2016, 10:22:42 AM

It would be great if you'd link to images on other servers rather than attaching a minimum of two images to each of your posts.  They take up space on the server, which is really not a very good use of drive space.

To do this, your code should look as follows:

[img]http://bullcrap.com/image.jpg[/img]

My apology, I was no aware of it
I will restrict number of image attachments.

PaulAtreides

So folks, what do you believe?  Will there be Dick tonight?

ItsOver

Quote from: norland2424 on October 23, 2016, 08:33:34 PM
reminds me of those pics you see on documentaries on serial killers etc
"Jorch Noory?  He seemed like a nice neighbor, other than the pile of dead turtles in his backyard.  For some strange reason, there always seemed to be some hamster road kills in front of his house, too.  And then there was this really, really large guy who was either dressed in all-black or drag.  But other than that..."

theONE

Quote from: PaulAtreides on October 24, 2016, 11:19:41 AM
So folks, what do you believe?  Will there be Dick tonight?

that's a very dicky question to ask  :P

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 24, 2016, 07:21:52 AM
So true. This is one of the reasons I love Game of Thrones so much because it takes an immersion into a total fantasy world of magic and dragons to reveal what we're all really like. ;)

Ha I never thought of it this way but so true.  In the books at least (I haven't watched the series yet), I see Tyrion as a kind of pragmatic philosopher/observer of the world, a revealer of other characters' motives and values, with a wry voice about how to navigate through such a place.  Hoagie could learn a few things from him about not taking himself so seriously.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 24, 2016, 07:03:20 AM

I think you're absolutely correct here. This is what I was hoping for in the early days of the show, that Hoagland would lay down RCH and basically become an interviewer rather than a pontificator. Just grasp the basics of interviewing, check the ego and just sit in the background. Initially he did this quite well with the Dick Cavett mode. Some of those early golden period interviews were knock out and the show rivaled Art's. But Hoagland let the old dog that won't learn new tricks trickle back in and it all degenerated.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: mv on October 24, 2016, 10:25:14 AM
that's news to me, unless you're referring to "quick karl"... but i'd consider him anything but a patriot.

Hey mister, he said he was, that should be good enough for anyone.

starrmtn001

Hi, me Buds!

I plan to participate in tonight's thread if I'm awake.  Just givin' ya a fair heads-up. ;)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: paladin1991 on October 24, 2016, 10:54:31 AM

We're not in a permenant state of paranioa or need nearly all civilian uniforms to be military in style. Medals...we do medals, but none given for farting the Star Spangled Banner in tune. We just don't do that. Damn.

GravitySucks

Quote from: starrmtn001 on October 24, 2016, 02:40:12 PM
Hi, me Buds!

I plan to participate in tonight's thread if I'm awake.  Just givin' ya a fair heads-up. ;)

You should change your name to Darth Star Empress

starrmtn001

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 24, 2016, 02:43:29 PM
You should change your name to Darth Star Empress
No.  She can't be replaced.  Her spot is waiting for her when she comes back. ;)