• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

This show is madness. Between the technical screw ups, weird spacey music and RCH going on weird 5-10 minute rants without letting his guest get a word is just madness. It's strangely soothing but absolute madness.

tweet75

my problem with this show is topics will be limted to space related stuff im afraid

BobGrau

He's getting into his stride now. I'm only half paying attention but sometimes that's what you want with radio.

Quote from: tweet75 on July 21, 2015, 01:59:58 AM
my problem with this show is topics will be limted to space related stuff im afraid

That's what I was thinking as well. I think it's a terrible idea to have him follow Art but his show is what you'd think it would be. It is strangely entertaining and RCH is in all his RCH glory.

Jackstar

Quote from: VoteQuimby on July 21, 2015, 01:58:23 AM
It's strangely soothing but absolute madness.

Here's the kicker: his guest totally doesn't mind. RCH goes on and on and on in an amazingly melodious patter for like twenty minutes, and then says to him, "... right?" And the other guy is on it like Johnny-on-the-spot, "Why yes Richard, this story is delicious, om nom nom nom!"

It is hypnotic. I love it. It is much better than Cats.

BobGrau

Does the DM pop-out player cut off automatically after 4 hours?

HumanBeing

Quote from: BobGrau on July 21, 2015, 02:03:49 AM
Does the DM pop-out player cut off automatically after 4 hours?

I'm not sure if Dark Matter Digital Network has anything like that set up but I wouldn't be surprised if something like that was in place.
Most of the web-based/pop-out players I have come across will cut off after a period of time to save bandwidth just in case the listener is no longer listening.

That's why I personally lean more towards using the direct links to listen. Most media players can be set up (or already is set up) to reconnect to a stream 'x' amount of times when a stream has dropped. I use Screamer Radio(free program). That's what I recommend. But VLC is widely used and reliable as well.

HumanBeing

Quote from: VoteQuimby on July 21, 2015, 01:58:23 AM
This show is madness. Between the technical screw ups, weird spacey music and RCH going on weird 5-10 minute rants without letting his guest get a word is just madness. It's strangely soothing but absolute madness.

hehe Yeah Richard probably should have had another test run during the weekend to iron out a few more bugs.
He could have took some calls. I bet he would love that  ;D

HappyMeal

The first 20 minutes was comedy gold. Tune in chat was having a blast with someone commenting that hoags is talking into his mouse. I actually enjoyed the show a lot more than I thought I would. I was unaware there was a guest at one point

DanTSX

I love RCH.

I know he's full of balogny, but I don't give a shit.

That cranky retired scientist with a major hard-on for RCH pisses me off.  He needs a new retirement hobby like breeding fighting chickens or something.

Talyn

Is anyone here a subscriber of the podcast archives for Hoagland's show?  If so, was last night's show made available with the first 20 minutes intact?  If it was, I will be subscribing just to hear that again.  :D

Knine

the first 19.5 minutes was really bad- it sounded like RCH wanted to get loud and mad but he didn't but the music sucked and I can only take him for infrequent short doses.  just don't see him holding it together for a regular show.
8)

Morgus

Interesting - Hoagland just mentioned Noory told his own story on the air earlier tonight of what happened between the two.
Now Hoagland is telling his side of the story to tell "the true events"

paladin1991

Quote from: Morgus on July 22, 2015, 01:06:08 AM
Interesting - Hoagland just mentioned Noory told his own story on the air earlier tonight of what happened between the two.
Now Hoagland is telling his side of the story to tell "the true events"
It would be nice if Hoagy got to the point sometime before the expected 'difficulties.'

HumanBeing

I like LaViolette's theory of pulsars/neutron stars. Basically saying they are beacons located near nova or supernova remnants by extraterrestrial intelligences and are used as sort of GPS beacons for interstellar travel.

trostol

Quote from: paladin1991 on July 22, 2015, 01:08:59 AM
It would be nice if Hoagy got to the point sometime before the expected 'difficulties.'

guy has a 2 hour show and he talks probably 98 % of it about ...nothing..I GOT IT...his show is like Seinfeld

SciFiAuthor

Hoagland's turned it into the RCH show. He's not interviewing, he's pontificating.

I'd like to hear this story about the feud between Noory and Hoagland, but I keep loosing focus on Hoagland's diatribe.

trostol

i do not think he gets how schedules work lol i am not sure you can just put in play a show you want to do and skip the repeat just cause you want to

HumanBeing

Quote from: paladin1991 on July 22, 2015, 01:08:59 AM

I wonder will he be bringing on his main guest after the first 30 minutes or after an hour.
I'm beginning to think he could talk every night without guests for the whole show.

Jackstar

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on July 22, 2015, 01:14:09 AM
Hoagland's turned it into the RCH show.

What's it supposed to be, The Dating Game for Job's Daughters?

Quote from: Textor on July 22, 2015, 01:14:37 AM
Wait, who won Emmys? Not Noory, surely?

Noory is the proud owner of three regional Emmy's for his time as a news director.

Northcoaster

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on July 22, 2015, 01:14:09 AM
Hoagland's turned it into the RCH show. He's not interviewing, he's pontificating.

Well, he can't figure out Skype, so kind of hard to get a guest.