• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

Jackstar

astroguy

Quote from: albrecht on November 15, 2017, 11:09:27 PM
I recall he said it was going to be a pdf and only for members and, then later said, available "in a couple or three days" or something. (My quote might not be correct but it was a weird phrasing that struck me as vague.)  :o
But he also months earlier was claiming work on his "opus." I'm not sure if the pdf is that or not?
He has alternatively claimed "PowerPoint," "PDF," and "Video."  Given that only RCH likely still has a VHS player, I would hope one of the first two.

albrecht

Quote from: astroguy on November 15, 2017, 11:12:05 PM
He has alternatively claimed "PowerPoint," "PDF," and "Video."  Given that only RCH likely still has a VHS player, I would hope one of the first two.
19.5 and torsion model might say use former technology that, while better, was not adopted due to other forces: I say to RCH Laserdisc (audio was awesome!) and Mini-Disc or die!!! FREEDOM! (or just Beta, I guess.)  ;)

Rix Gins

Quote from: Nobody on November 15, 2017, 10:52:07 PM
I suspect I am in the minority when I confess to having long-ago formed a mental picture of Kynthea as an...er...rather large woman in some sort of kaftan-like garment sporting a very, very unfortunate perm.

[Hangs head in embarrassment as cries of "Shame!" etc. are heard in the background.]

It seems I got the bit about her coiffure wrong because her hairdo is rather good for (dare I say it?) someone her age.  Perhaps Hoagland is giving her styling tips during the breaks?

As for the rest, well...

Sometimes it is more painful to be right than to be wrong. :(

Remember when Kynthea first appeared on the scene?  It was during the great 'Martian face is a cat box' debate between Richard and Art.  Richard brought Kynthea in to support his argument that the face was half man, half cat.  He proclaimed that Kynthea was an artist and had sculpted a perfect model of the face.  And that was it.  The very fact that she was able to sculpt the face was proof positive that the face did in fact exist.  Good thing Richard wasn't a trial lawyer.

Nobody

Quote from: Lunger on November 13, 2017, 09:17:17 AM
I wouldn't call Hoagie a genius by any means.  He has a mediocre intellect at best. 

A mediocre intellect combined with a certain rat-like cunning and an all-too-ready willingness to steal ideas from others wholesale and shamelessly proclaim them to be his own.

(I've noticed that last bit doesn't tend to work out well in the Internet Age, when one can, usually, easily prove both how old a given idea is and who was likely to have thought of it first.)

The truly depressing thing about Hoagland is that, had he taken the trouble to keep his knowledge current, he might have been able to land a Bill Nye-like TV gig in the 1980s or 90s.  There's no doubt that when he controls himself, Hoagland can be both an entertaining and informative public speaker.

Instead, he elected to take the easy way out, relying on very old (and worse, often incorrect) knowledge combined with a Tourette's-like compulsion for name dropping.  While it is certainly possible to bluff your way through a chat show or two like that, Hoagland has tried to use it as the basis for a career which is fast turning into some sort of macabre suicidal gesture.

Quote from: Lunger on November 13, 2017, 09:17:17 AM
The ability to twist meaning and accept supposition as fact are not sings of genius.

It's odd, but somehow, Hoagland only ever seems to accept supposition if it comes from his own mouth.  Should you be unlucky enough to appear as a guest on his show, suddenly it's "data, data, data" where your claims are concerned.

(With sometime hilarious results.  Anyone else remember the "magic medallion/healing machines lady" interview from the KCAA days?  When Hoagland nearly blew the gaffe by repeatedly asking her, "Yes, but how do you know this stuff really works?  Awwwwwwwkwaaaaard.) :)

I hope I wasn't the only one who got a cheap laugh a while back when Hoagland actually proclaimed, in advance (!), that he fully expected his guests to be able to support their assertions.  I am referring to the white text above Hoagland's name as seen here:

"Where you are free to speculate...with data to support your claims."  What a great gag, huh?  :)

Needless to say, even Hoagland couldn't hope to maintain that level of effrontery for long; I don't think it appeared on his "posters" for more than 2-3 weeks.  Doubtless some spoilsport took Hoagland aside and explained what sort of disaster would ensue should a guest suddenly get uppity and start angrily demanding that Hoagland produce some data, right now, to support his claims.

Well, it was fun while it lasted, anyway.  :)  Talk about an own goal...

=Schlyder=

A regular "Clash of the Titans", I'm thinking.

The data will be flying.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Étouffée on November 16, 2017, 07:19:15 PM
A regular "Clash of the Titans", I'm thinking.

The data will be flying.

If by data you mean the random pareidolia Richard and his friends experience on a weekly basis then yes, yes it will!  :D

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 16, 2017, 08:31:31 PM
If by data you mean the random pareidolia Richard and his friends experience on a weekly basis then yes, yes it will!  :D
That's what I'm talkin about; a pareidolia throw-down!
If he can see it, I can believe it, oh my brother!

And thus may we (hopefully) be entertained.

Quote from: =Schlyder= on November 16, 2017, 02:48:43 PM
LOL this weekend will be good for a few laughs...

Do not tempt Hoagie!!!... Understand he's undoubtedly a hyperdimensional wizard of no small renown and would use the torsion flux field with a desire to do good. But through him, it wields a power too terrible to imagine.

Nobody

Quote from: Morgus on November 17, 2017, 03:27:04 PM

Not just pap, recycled pap.  ::)

Hoagland was banging on a half-decade or so ago about alleged "unlimited energy" via the oft-mentioned-but-as-yet-unexplained torsion field, but never seemed to get around to actually generating any. 

(Which is strange, because it's just possible there might be some money to be made in providing unlimited energy.)

I wonder how the guest will rationalise how it is that he has the secret to unlimited energy, but is discussing it on a sixth-rate BTR chat show rather than spending all of his time skiiing down a mountain of cocaine the size of Everest?

Morgus

Hoagie's office phone has been ringing a lot tonight, just like in the early shows...

comaphobe

i haven't listened in months. where is this fruitcake streaming from these days?

=Schlyder=

Quote from: comaphobe on November 19, 2017, 12:26:20 AM
i haven't listened in months. where is this fruitcake streaming from these days?

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/tosom/2017/11/19/unlimited-pollution-free-energy--from-torsion-field-machines--keith-morgan

I usually go thru the link at OSOM website as if there are items from the guest I keep that tab open on the browser.

astroguy

Aren't we like, 90 minutes, or half-way through?  I've been listening the last 45 min because I'm doing some programming work and I still haven't heard anything about torsion or "zero-point" energy crap.  WTF are they talking about?

=Schlyder=

yes, 90 minutes in.  They have mainly been talking about new energy. Not much torsion field mumbo jumbo.

=Schlyder=

LOL  a UFO story LOL.  Jesus tapdancing Christ.  Of all UFO stories to discuss, he has to pick this fucking poor excuse of a ufo story.

=Schlyder=

LOL a drop of water on an IC  and it's going to run a golf cart?  LOL  For fuck sakes this guy is a retard.

pate

Quote from: astroguy on November 19, 2017, 12:31:44 AM
Aren't we like, 90 minutes, or half-way through?  I've been listening the last 45 min because I'm doing some programming work and I still haven't heard anything about torsion or "zero-point" energy crap.  WTF are they talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92u08Wmtxwk