Author Topic: Gardens, Lawns and Such...  (Read 17424 times)

Gardens, Lawns and Such...
« Reply #240 on: October 17, 2019, 07:18:23 PM »
STIHL still has a, some would say, outdated franchise sales model. But it keeps their reputation up and they continue to make solid products, often worth the extra cost when compared to other brands. Also does help support more local, smaller businesses- not just Amazon or the HD/Lowe's. You could always look on CL, pawnshops, or small engine repair shops where a used or refurbished model might be available. Overkill for such a small yard but that is the American Way, dammit!

Pawnshops have been a good resource for me at times.

« Reply #241 on: October 18, 2019, 03:32:29 AM »
Someone once warned me against buying tools from a pawnshop.  Their theory was that it was most likely a stolen tool, and if one purchased the stolen tool the karma would make that tool hurt you.

I don't know, last thyme I bought anything from a pawnshop it was when I was getting rid of an old bass guitar that someone gave to me for a free pizza.  There was a shitty drill press in there for $20, I think I ended up trading the bass guitar for the drill press.  The guy behind the counter said that the drill press wasn't worth it because it wouldn't do well on metal, but I wanted it for my wood-shop...  I think I got the better end of the deal, but I haven't yet used that drill-press going on ten years now, so we will see how the karma of the stolen drill press hurts me.

Glad I didn't trade for a band-saw...

-p

« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2019, 03:18:30 PM »
I spent the day yesterday butchering the Redbud tree and the Honeysuckle hedge to get more light on the lawn and because they needed the haircut.  I think it will also help with the leaf cleanup as fall continues.  I got a lot more light than I was expecting, and today after I used that awesome STIHL BR-700 to blow off the mess I made yesterday I decided to get back on the mow every other day schedule while these sprouts mature.  I think it will encourage the dense turf I was seeing this spring and last fall, although now it will be all over the yard rather than in just the few spots I managed to weed last year.  Apparently, weed season is over for the year as I am not seeing anything that needs to be pulled as I do my pre-mow walk around.

Three days ago:

* Yard_17OCT2019.JPG (73.21 kB)

Today:

* Yard_20OCT2019.JPG (68.81 kB)

While I was pruning yesterday I also was splitting some logs and had a good fire going in the fire-pit, apparently there were some live coals still in there and it was a bit exciting when I was blowing the leaves away from around the firepit to see a few live coals blow out and into the big pile of brush trimmings in the corner.  So far I haven't seen any indications of a brushfire and it was a few hours ago, so I think all will be well.  In the top-left of the picture you can see my kindling pile before and after the honeysuckle massacre, and that's about half of it the other half is on the compost heap behind the kindling pile.

I think the MiracleGrow application last week is starting to show results.  I may do that once a week until the freeze sets in to try to get some really robust growth.

« Reply #243 on: October 21, 2019, 02:20:57 AM »
I spent the day yesterday butchering the Redbud tree and the Honeysuckle hedge to get more light on the lawn and because they needed the haircut.  I think it will also help with the leaf cleanup as fall continues.  I got a lot more light than I was expecting, and today after I used that awesome STIHL BR-700 to blow off the mess I made yesterday I decided to get back on the mow every other day schedule while these sprouts mature.  I think it will encourage the dense turf I was seeing this spring and last fall, although now it will be all over the yard rather than in just the few spots I managed to weed last year.  Apparently, weed season is over for the year as I am not seeing anything that needs to be pulled as I do my pre-mow walk around.

Three days ago:

* Yard_17OCT2019.JPG (73.21 kB)

Today:

While I was pruning yesterday I also was splitting some logs and had a good fire going in the fire-pit, apparently there were some live coals still in there and it was a bit exciting when I was blowing the leaves away from around the firepit to see a few live coals blow out and into the big pile of brush trimmings in the corner.  So far I haven't seen any indications of a brushfire and it was a few hours ago, so I think all will be well.  In the top-left of the picture you can see my kindling pile before and after the honeysuckle massacre, and that's about half of it the other half is on the compost heap behind the kindling pile.

I think the MiracleGrow application last week is starting to show results.  I may do that once a week until the freeze sets in to try to get some really robust growth.
What went on in the top left corner?

« Reply #244 on: October 21, 2019, 07:19:16 AM »
What went on in the top left corner?

Big pile of brush from trimming the honeysuckle.

« Reply #245 on: October 23, 2019, 01:48:32 AM »
Big pile of brush from trimming the honeysuckle.
Well, I just never saw this side of you before.  It looks great!

« Reply #246 on: October 30, 2019, 04:16:41 PM »
First freeze is supposed to happen tonight, the bentgrass is really liking this cold weather, I think.  While blowing the leaves, I noticed a sprig of bentgrass had put out a seedhead:

I took this picture as snow-flakes were falling around me, and it has been pretty cold around here for the past few days/weeks.  I think this is a good sign that the bentgrass thrives in temperatures right above freezing, why else would it try to put out seeds?

My Stihl BR-700 privileges have been suspended, but my lawn buddy loaned me for the leaf season a "piece of shit" Stihl BG86 handheld.

Guess he needs the "big guy" for doing leaves or something.  Compared to the BR-700 it is a "piece of shit," not as high velocity and wears your hand/wrist out a bit if you are using it for an extended period.  Even though it took longer to clear the yard, it did blow the wet & lightly snowed upon leaves around well enough that it was still quicker and less damaging than raking.  I might see if he'll sell it to me, I'm hooked on the blowers now.

Here's the yard about 1-2 weeks ago:

And here is what it looks like right before/during the 1st snow & freeze of the season:

* Yard_30OCT2019.JPG (73.39 kB)

I think there has been significant growth, and if my recollections of the seeding from last fall are correct it will continue to grow on days when the temperatures get above freezing throughout the winter.  The big dog continues to do his after poop scratch/claw the ground maneuver, but I have some fencing that I lay on the ground in the thickest new sprout areas that protects that part, it is mainly the back part of the yard that he can jack up.  Maybe I will take a picture of his damage next time I pick up the dog crap, seems like when I catch him doing it and yell at him it only encourages him to do it more when I am not around.

My lawn-care buddy thinks I should make him wear "paw boots," haha.  I can imagine the sad look on Hanz face if I subjected him to that sort of indignity, I bet it would make him find some other destructive thing to do in the lawn as revenge, so I will just live with the damage until I can get some more Bermuda growing in there next summer.

-p