• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

RETRO-WORLD the older things we love

Started by Camazotz Automat, May 26, 2015, 02:34:42 PM

To launch this topic:

On May 27, 2015, a new Phantasm vinyl soundtrack album from Mondo goes on sale.

Pressed in both blood-stain and white marble 180-gram vinyl.

http://mondotees.com/

ItsOver

That's down right nice.  Wasn't there suppose to be another Phantasm by now or did I miss the news.

Quote from: ItsOver on May 26, 2015, 02:42:37 PM
That's down right nice.  Wasn't there suppose to be another Phantasm by now or did I miss the news.

Phantasm 5 is finished and on the way, though rumors had it in theaters as early as 2014. My source at Starway International was indeed telling the truth when he/she said 2014 was a no go.

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 26, 2015, 02:47:54 PM
Phantasm 5 is finished and on the way, though rumors had it in theaters as early as 2014. My source at Starway International was indeed telling the truth when he/she said 2014 was a no go.
Ah, thanks Cam.  A release for Halloween 2015 would be excellent, along with Art's Ghost-to-Ghost.  Most excellent, indeed.

Galaga (sit down), Streets of Fire, 90s Pinball machines.

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 26, 2015, 04:51:51 PM
Galaga (sit down), Streets of Fire, 90s Pinball machines.

I'd add the tabletop version of Dig Dug.  Perfect for playing while munching on pizza. 

ItsOver

I was a sucker for the original PacMan and the Atari Lunar Lander arcade games.

Drive-In theatres. It was a sin when they demolished this one.

ItsOver

And old movie theaters.  Thankfully, they've preserved some.  Now this is the way to watch a movie, if you can't do a drive-in.

ItsOver

Damn!  Curse you Cam!  I forgot how addictive these damn things can be.

http://my.ign.com/atari/lunar-lander

Quote from: ItsOver on May 27, 2015, 08:32:58 AM
Damn!  Curse you Cam!  I forgot how addictive these damn things can be.

I won't be completely happy unless, far in the future, it is revealed in an obit you were playing Lunar Lander on your deathbed.  ;)

This is some kind of record for me. I will have posted the same graphic of a red seal "red eye" fiver three times in about a thirty-five minute period.

I like the designs on older money, both coin and paper.

lonevoice

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 27, 2015, 02:01:06 PM
I won't be completely happy unless, far in the future, it is revealed in an obit you were playing Lunar Lander on your deathbed.  ;)
The only obit I can accept is the one where he sings "It's Over" on his deathbed, and actually hits that ringing E5 in his head voice with perfect pitch.  That's kinda retro, so not too far off-topic.  8)

Quote from: lonevoice on May 27, 2015, 02:13:00 PM
The only obit I can accept is the one where he sings "It's Over" on his deathbed, and actually hits that ringing E5 in his head voice with perfect pitch.  That's kinda retro, so not too far off-topic.  8)
And such a note would clear his sinus passages in some Ayurvedic manner! Better to go out clean as ... a whistle.

Charlotte just spun :  S O M E   O B I T

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 27, 2015, 02:01:06 PM
I can live with that.

ItsOver

Quote from: lonevoice on May 27, 2015, 02:13:00 PM
I think I'll do the nurses a favor and just request "The Best of Roy Orbison."  Of course the ultimate curse will be they'll play the latest K-Tel release of "The Best of Roy Orbison as done by Dave Noorie."

Nick el Ass

Quote from: zeebo on May 26, 2015, 07:36:37 PM
I'd add the tabletop version of Dig Dug.  Perfect for playing while munching on pizza.

Or Pac-Man which turned 35 recently. My friend has a few arcade games including Donkey Kong 2 and a Playchoice 10.

The General

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 27, 2015, 02:06:24 PM
This is some kind of record for me. I will have posted the same graphic of a red seal "red eye" fiver three times in about a thirty-five minute period.

I like the designs on older money, both coin and paper.

God dammit now I have to post on this one too...
Here's a random image to make it worth your time.

"My, what a big collar you have, Bill."

ItsOver

Quote from: The General on May 27, 2015, 03:16:14 PM
Here's a random image to make it worth your time.

"My, what a big collar you have, Bill."
Hey, Dave appreciates it.  Something to up his game and not clash with his Hai Karate.

Back to Lunar Lander.  This damn thing is a bigger time killer than BellGab. 

I locked in my order for the original Phantasm soundtrack on new vinyl. Mausoleum Marble was already SOLD OUT, so it was BLACK AND BLOOD for me.

The soundtrack was last pressed on vinyl 35 years ago.

I've seen pics of the original vinyl pressing. It was a beautifully disgusting yellow, matching the Tall Man's alien blood and I believe there was regular red blood splattered on the yellow as well.

This is the first vinyl I've purchased in a long time.

I feel a turn coming on.

Quote from: The General on May 27, 2015, 03:16:14 PM

An unintended though entertaining consequence of my actions.

correction:

The yellow edition record I've seen from 1979 was not the motion picture soundtrack, but a 12" disco version of the movie's theme on Side A.

Captain Zorro
Side A: Phantasm (Fred Myrow & M. Seagrave)
Side B: Sure Can Boogie (Biddu & Mike Moran)

Disco. Holy red planet, Tall Man.

From what I can tell so far, the actual soundtrack LP was in normal black vinyl.

zeebo

Fast food from the 70's / 80's that was bad for you but tasted good, now it's still bad for you but tastes awful. 

Anyone remember how tasty Jack's onion rings used to be before the food police ruined them forever? 

And remember Taco Bell tacos when they actually had (mostly) real ground beef & they were packed with shredded cheese unlike now where you can count the handful of individual cheese slivers?

Remember friggin deep-fried (not baked) McD's apple/cherry pies that would scald your mouth with that sweet fried goodness?

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on May 27, 2015, 10:39:42 PM
Fast food from the 70's / 80's that was bad for you but tasted good, now it's still bad for you but tastes awful. 

Anyone remember how tasty Jack's onion rings used to be before the food police ruined them forever? 

And remember Taco Bell tacos when they actually had (mostly) real ground beef & they were packed with shredded cheese unlike now where you can count the handful of individual cheese slivers?

Remember friggin deep-fried (not baked) McD's apple/cherry pies that would scald your mouth with that sweet fried goodness?

Hell, yes.  What's the point of fast food if it doesn't taste good, too?  Add McDonald's fries and cheeseburgers to the list.  The fries still aren't too bad when they're fresh and hot but they were orgasmic when they used beef talo.  The cheeseburgers used to be nice, hot, and greasy, the way they're mean't to be.

Oh, well.  I lament the passing of heavy, V8 powered cruisers, with soft springs, from the '50s and '60s, as well.  The damn light-weight, sprung for Fast and Furious econ-wienie-mobiles we're cursed with now infuriate me.  What good is getting 40 mpg when I can't enjoy the ride.

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 27, 2015, 04:41:01 PM
I locked in my order for the original Phantasm soundtrack on new vinyl. Mausoleum Marble was already SOLD OUT, so it was BLACK AND BLOOD for me.

The soundtrack was last pressed on vinyl 35 years ago.

I've seen pics of the original vinyl pressing. It was a beautifully disgusting yellow, matching the Tall Man's alien blood and I believe there was regular red blood splattered on the yellow as well.

This is the first vinyl I've purchased in a long time.

I feel a turn coming on.
So, Cam, do you still own a turntable or did you just purchase the Phantasm vinyl as a collector's item?  I miss some aspects of the good 'ol turntable.  The smell of fresh vinyl, the hiss and soft click of the needle, and the warm sounds emanating from that disc of plastic.  I've thought about getting a turntable and picking-up some albums but, that's all I need.  One more addictive distraction sucking me and my dollars into oblivion.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: zeebo on May 26, 2015, 07:36:37 PM
Used to play Ms. Pacman on one at a great pizza place.

Albemuth

Quote from: ItsOver on May 28, 2015, 07:51:00 AM
I miss some aspects of the good 'ol turntable.  The smell of fresh vinyl, the hiss and soft click of the needle, and the warm sounds emanating from that disc of plastic.  I've thought about getting a turntable and picking-up some albums but, that's all I need.  One more addictive distraction sucking me and my dollars into oblivion.

Yep, I catch myself missing the vinyl too. I got about a zillion CDS…but I can see myself branching back to records some day. Will pick up a new turntable one of these days…Maybe when I pay my house off (about a year & a half away on that.)

ItsOver

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 28, 2015, 07:52:09 AM
Used to play Ms. Pacman on one at a great pizza place.
My favorite haunt for Lunar Lander also had Ms. Pacman.  Along with tasty subs and pitchers of beer.  Long since closed.  :(