• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I'm so old...

Started by onan, May 25, 2015, 03:14:35 PM

AZ/CO

Here are a couple of sites that us older folks like to check out on a regular basis -

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/?source=sitenav

Weather & Getting Old is a match made in heaven.  Now get off my lawn  :P

b_dubb

Quote from: onan on May 27, 2015, 05:09:21 AM
I was picking up a friend at the airport and a young woman walked by and said "that's a fly car." No amount of pretty can overcome that kind of statement.
I take it she was being sarcastic? For all I know you cruise around in 1970 Mach I Mustang with a Boss 302 V8.

Quote from: AZ/CO on May 27, 2015, 09:35:10 AM
Here are a couple of sites that us older folks like to check out on a regular basis -

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/?source=sitenav

Weather & Getting Old is a match made in heaven.  Now get off my lawn  :P

Oh, this one is awesome:

http://earthquaketrack.com/recent

I have a dedicated tab on my browser because that's what we young hipsters do.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: onan on May 27, 2015, 05:09:21 AM
I was picking up a friend at the airport and a young woman walked by and said "that's a fly car." No amount of pretty can overcome that kind of statement.

Hmm. EL CAMINO?

pate

... I farted a fossil.

aldousburbank

I'm so old that in my time, strawberry, pineapple, and mango were found in the produce section and not in the shampoo aisle.

I'm so old that I remember when bread did not have seeds in it and weed did.

And water was free.

Gemstone

I was in a grocery store and the girl walking behind me talking on her phone said "Yeah, I'm at the store walking behind some old lady".  I looked around then realized she was talking about me! That was five years ago.

I like this thread. It provides a contemplative breather from the Art Bell moving sidewalk madness.

Speaking of moving sidewalks. I have a friend in East Texas who watched ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons perform when Billy was in the band Moving Sidewalks.

That's fookin' old, baby.

Quote from: Gemstone on May 28, 2015, 01:06:22 PM
I was in a grocery store and the girl walking behind me talking on her phone said "Yeah, I'm at the store walking behind some old lady".  I looked around then realized she was talking about me! That was five years ago.

Hah! Rude little guttersnipes with phones.

lonevoice

I’m so old I remember when the local network news anchor looked like he could be my dad, instead of my son.  I'm suddenly noticing that service workers have started calling me "m'am."  That's new.

onan

Quote from: lonevoice on May 28, 2015, 01:48:17 PM
I’m so old I remember when the local network news anchor looked like he could be my dad, instead of my son.  I'm suddenly noticing that service workers have started calling me "m'am."  That's new.

I get the senior discount without even being asked if I qualify. I'm cheap enough to swallow the indignity.

Quote from: onan on May 28, 2015, 01:52:13 PM
I get the senior discount without even being asked if I qualify. I'm cheap enough to swallow the indignity.

Dr. Lao wag finger at you and call you "but baby."

Gemstone

…or go to Ross on Tuesdays so I receive a 10% senior discount.

lonevoice

Oh dear.  Did they start giving you the senior discount before you were a senior?  That would challenge the indignity tolerance of a saint.  There's so much for me to look forward to, isn't there? 

onan

Quote from: lonevoice on May 28, 2015, 02:34:43 PM
Oh dear.  Did they start giving you the senior discount before you were a senior?  That would challenge the indignity tolerance of a saint.  There's so much for me to look forward to, isn't there?

To teenagers and young adults, anyone with gray hair must be a senior.

lonevoice

Quote from: onan on May 28, 2015, 02:39:47 PM
To teenagers and young adults, anyone with gray hair must be a senior.
I remember when I was in high school, all of my friends' parents were old.  Now I'm the age those parents were when I met them.  Something's not right about this; there must be some mistake. 

onan

Quote from: lonevoice on May 28, 2015, 02:52:26 PM
I remember when I was in high school, all of my friends' parents were old.  Now I'm the age those parents were when I met them.  Something's not right about this; there must be some mistake.

Time is a cruel master.

ItsOver

Quote from: SaucyRossy on May 27, 2015, 03:20:06 AM
DO WE NEED TO TYPE BIGGER FOR YOU TO SEE US ONAN? I DON'T MIND. WHATEVER YOU NEED, SIR.
FT. ROCK, is that you, sonny?  Speak louder.  I can't see you!

onan

Quote from: b_dubb on May 27, 2015, 10:49:25 AM
I take it she was being sarcastic? For all I know you cruise around in 1970 Mach I Mustang with a Boss 302 V8.

Who knows? kids these days. I took her as being frank. Then again I drive a 15 hyundai. So, yeah sarcastic.

15 cents each for hambuger,fries,drink. 25 cents per gallon/100 octane gas. $1800 for a new car, $2500-3000 for a really nice car, $6000 for a Jaguar or a Porsche, 10 cent comic books. 25 cents for Mad magazine, 10 for a Coke or an RC. 5 cent for a Hershey bar or pack of gum. Even in the 70's you could get a decent off lease car for under $100 p/mo. for 36 mo.(RX-4 Mazda)$50 would fill the grocery cart to nearly overflowing.$100 to 125 a trimester or quarter for college tuition. Twice that for books.$1200 per for dorm room and food service. My father was an RC bottler in NC in the 50's-60's and I remember folding and enveloping a memo to customers that a wholesale price on RC's, Nehi's was going up  to $1 per case from .90 cents. 1st class mail was 3 cents.  A carton of cigarettes was $2.  A pack in a machine 25 cents, not long before there were 3 penny's sealed on the side of the pack under the cellophane..  An Saturday matinee movie was 25 cents, they played a serial, 2 cartoons and a movie. Popcorn was a dime. High School class ring was 14kt and was $38. TV had one channel then 2 and then with an Alliance Teen-Rotor you could get about 8 or 10. As a child  I was the remote control then we got a Zenith with a space commander to replace the DuMont that caught fire and dated back to around my birth. I went to a  college that had a yacht club and  the students had an old(1924) 70 Ft boat with 2 -671 diesels in it that the coast guard had installed during WWII. We riggied a fuel line from the furnace tank in the rowing club house to the dock and used to order 100 gal. of fuel oil at 15 to 18 cents per gallon and run it to the boats tanks. The boat had 3-100 gallon tanks. We filled 2 with fuel oil and one with kerosene. When that boat was donated to the school it was a mess. Still had depth charge rack mounts on the stern and a M2 mount that took up most of the bow cabin . we removed those saved about 3000 pounds, took about 18 coats of paint off the top cabin varnished the top cabin, cleaned up the engines, painted the decks and the hull.We would cruse about 10kt's. She could do about 15kt's but would really drink the fuel. Running kerosene would help blow the carbon out of her but at about twice the burn rate.