• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Texas Floods

Started by albrecht, May 24, 2015, 12:32:22 PM

albrecht

http://youtu.be/ZwTqUtSJqqs
and IH-35 in San Marcos flooded over but open now. Lake Travis went up 7ft in 12 hours. We need rain but all at once and for weeks?

Ben Shockley

Quote from: albrecht on May 24, 2015, 12:32:22 PM
...and IH-35 in San Marcos flooded over but open now. Lake Travis went up 7ft in 12 hours. We need rain but all at once and for weeks?
So what's the problem?  Them individualistic, freedom-lovin' Texans will slap some plywood over that span and you might get a bicycle across it.  If the immediate locals ever cop to wanting help, I'm sure that the good Baptists in the next county will take a donation and get $57 to help them build something more substantial.  But in the name of God, just keep that fucking Federal money out, right?!  'Cause that leads to enslavement, right?
   Except when you need it to get YOUR produce to market or YOUR kid to an emergency room, right?  In those cases, then, BY ALL MEANS call that good ol' Texas Republican representative in Washington, and get him to tote that pork on down there like he's spose' to.
But otherwise, if they ain't personally suffering, they don't want no damn Federal money.
    Right, albrecht?   Might turn 'em into fags.

albrecht

Quote from: Ben Shockley on May 24, 2015, 03:00:44 PM
So what's the problem?  Them individualistic, freedom-lovin' Texans will slap some plywood over that span and you might get a bicycle across it.  If the immediate locals ever cop to wanting help, I'm sure that the good Baptists in the next county will take a donation and get $57 to help them build something more substantial.  But in the name of God, just keep that fucking Federal money out, right?!  'Cause that leads to enslavement, right?
   Except when you need it to get YOUR produce to market or YOUR kid to an emergency room, right?  In those cases, then, BY ALL MEANS call that good ol' Texas Republican representative in Washington, and get him to tote that pork on down there like he's spose' to.
But otherwise, if they ain't personally suffering, they don't want no damn Federal money.
    Right, albrecht?   Might turn 'em into fags.
I didn't realize this was politics thread. I posted because it was an amazing video. But since, as all things, need to go political:  sure, we would have plenty of money to fix the bridge here (we likely already do) but especially would if all the illegal immigrants were kicked out. The cost of housing them, educating their brood, imprisoning them after they rape someone or have another DWI accident, detaining them, and giving them free health-care to pay for some new bridges (and even the houses) thousands of times over. But I also say take Federal money, although I haven't heard if we have applied, because I'd rather spend our tax-dollars here in the USA then send to some foreign country, on a new war, or on illegal aliens. Heck, just a few canceled vacations for Obama, or his wife who usually vacations separately for some reason, would pay for the bridge.

Quote from: albrecht on May 24, 2015, 12:32:22 PM
http://youtu.be/ZwTqUtSJqqs
and IH-35 in San Marcos flooded over but open now. Lake Travis went up 7ft in 12 hours. We need rain but all at once and for weeks?

You from the area? San Marcos is bad. I think it flooded like that in 2002ish. But people keep rebuilding. Last I checked we are still officially under a drought condition and have water usage restrictions in Travis and Hayes county.

12 confirmed missing in San Marcos.

Paradox

Sad, but it's getting ready to rain some more.
Anyone heard from Divine?  Wondering which part of the state Divine is in.  I know we were comparing notes on hiding from tornadoes and tornado warnings the other night. 

Not sure just what the water restrictions are currently, but Hays is under a mandatory boil directive.

albrecht

Quote from: nooryisawesome on May 24, 2015, 11:13:49 PM
You from the area? San Marcos is bad. I think it flooded like that in 2002ish. But people keep rebuilding. Last I checked we are still officially under a drought condition and have water usage restrictions in Travis and Hayes county.
Nearby, I've been under a tornado warning off and on all day. And tons more rain. Even Austin got hit and still raining in some areas. Likely won't, yet, be worse death-wise than the 81 Memorial Day Flood but damage-wise likely to beat it. The Tavern, Housepark, etc flooded and Shoal Creek is like a river down Lamar Blvd. But the Blanco River in Wimberly down to San Marcos, was the worst hit. Some serious damage and loss of life. Pretty bad. I think more rain expected this week....

Paradox

Are all our Texas bellgab members OK?  I'm here in Austin and am not flooded, but don't have to go far to reach the floods.

Quote from: Paradox on May 26, 2015, 05:52:57 AM
Are all our Texas bellgab members OK?  I'm here in Austin and am not flooded, but don't have to go far to reach the floods.

Hays county south of buda is suffering from severe flooding.

Paradox

Quote from: nooryisawesome on May 26, 2015, 06:15:25 AM
Hays county south of buda is suffering from severe flooding.
San Marcos, Wimberley, Kyle and that whole area?  I've seen that on the news, it's terrible.  Used to live in Blanco, it wasn't good there either.  This was a bad one.  I am concerned because I haven't been able to reach my friends near Houston-  Kemah,  Clear Lake Shores, Webster, League City, La Porte, Morgan's Port.   Guess I'll try to find some more news.  I'd been watching the news all night and most of the day.  A lot of little tornadoes in addition to the deluge. 
It's been insane.

Quote from: Paradox on May 26, 2015, 06:41:46 AM
San Marcos, Wimberley, Kyle and that whole area?  I've seen that on the news, it's terrible.  Used to live in Blanco, it wasn't good there either.  This was a bad one.  I am concerned because I haven't been able to reach my friends near Houston-  Kemah,  Clear Lake Shores, Webster, League City, La Porte, Morgan's Port.   Guess I'll try to find some more news.  I'd been watching the news all night and most of the day.  A lot of little tornadoes in addition to the deluge. 
It's been insane.

Yes, I think Kyle escaped the most of it. San Marcos and wimberly are the worst hit. My wife's work place is almost totaled.

There were tornados in the Houston area. I know Shepard was hard hit. I don't think the damage from the twisters was too major so hopefully everyone's alright. I  am praying for everyone in this situation. So far there are not too many people injured or dead. 12 missing though. Hope your friends are fine.

Art_s Farts

Here are the before and after pictures of a cabin on the Blanco River in Wimberley, TX that my family were going to be staying in next week. We have been staying here every summer for 10+ years.

Nick el Ass

My thoughts are with all of you down in Texas, and the video/stories I have read are pretty crazy. Stay safe gals and guys.

albrecht

Quote from: Art_s Farts on May 26, 2015, 09:29:56 AM
Here are the before and after pictures of a cabin on the Blanco River in Wimberley, TX that my family were going to be staying in next week. We have been staying here every summer for 10+ years.
Awful. The missing families tragically were vacationers (well tragic for anyone but there was speculation on our news that could've been an issue.)  Apparently some locals got the "reverse 911" txts or calls, and some police knocked on doors prior to the bad cresting, at least according to some callers on my local KLBJ. It was also claimed by one caller "that a lot of people went out of town" for the weekend because of tourist influx. Idk about that. But certainly anytime someone isn't from an area they might not be familiar with potential dangers and not be known by neighbors, law enforcement, family, etc- who might alert them. Still nobody could predict a flood of this size!

From what I've heard downtown, or Wimberley proper, is relatively ok because Cypress Creek didn't flood but the awful devastation is stuff on the Blanco River down through San Marcos.

And Houston areas seems to have been hit pretty bad.

And downtown Austin along Shoal Creek/Lamar area and now some flooding near Longhorn Dam. The big old tree at Barton Springs pool opposite the diving board came down. It has been there forever. The Colorado is rising rapidly though the type of land there is more sandy loam and spread out but I would imagine some more flooding coming to Bastrop, Smithville, etc. A big tank ruptured in Bastrop which added to the problem. Ugh, hit by the crazy fires a few years ago and now a flood. I hope it isn't bad for Bastrop County.

Art_s Farts

Quote from: albrecht on May 26, 2015, 10:24:23 AM
Awful. The missing families tragically were vacationers (well tragic for anyone but there was speculation on our news that could've been an issue.)  Apparently some locals got the "reverse 911" txts or calls, and some police knocked on doors prior to the bad cresting, at least according to some callers on my local KLBJ. It was also claimed by one caller "that a lot of people went out of town" for the weekend because of tourist influx. Idk about that. But certainly anytime someone isn't from an area they might not be familiar with potential dangers and not be known by neighbors, law enforcement, family, etc- who might alert them. Still nobody could predict a flood of this size!

From what I've heard downtown, or Wimberley proper, is relatively ok because Cypress Creek didn't flood but the awful devastation is stuff on the Blanco River down through San Marcos.

And Houston areas seems to have been hit pretty bad.

And downtown Austin along Shoal Creek/Lamar area and now some flooding near Longhorn Dam. The big old tree at Barton Springs pool opposite the diving board came down. It has been there forever. The Colorado is rising rapidly though the type of land there is more sandy loam and spread out but I would imagine some more flooding coming to Bastrop, Smithville, etc. A big tank ruptured in Bastrop which added to the problem. Ugh, hit by the crazy fires a few years ago and now a flood. I hope it isn't bad for Bastrop County.

I live in the country about 30 miles SE of San Antonio. We didn't get to much damage here. Just some fallen mesquite trees. I was in New Braunfels over the weekend and personally saw a large two-story house split in two by a monster oak tree that had fallen.

Lilith

Relieved to know ur ok :)

b_dubb

Hope everyone was clear and free of all the crazy weather

Paradox

It seems there was crazy weather in many states as well as Mexico. 
I think the saddest thing I saw was the woman who was on the phone with her sister while the sister was being swept away in a house.  heart breaking.

Raining again today. How many people are from the Austin area?

albrecht

Quote from: nooryisawesome on May 30, 2015, 03:36:39 PM
Why are they still running those stupid commercials on radio claiming I can't wash my truck at home and can only water once a week? Like anyone, besides city buildings, malls, and apartment complexes, have their sprinkler systems still on this past month. And if I want to wash my truck I just run out in the rain with some soap and let the downpour do it for me!

Paradox

Quote from: nooryisawesome on May 30, 2015, 03:36:39 PM
I am. 

Quote from: albrechtWhy are they still running those stupid commercials on radio claiming I can't wash my truck at home and can only water once a week? Like anyone, besides city buildings, malls, and apartment complexes, have their sprinkler systems still on this past month. And if I want to wash my truck I just run out in the rain with some soap and let the downpour do it for me!
I was wondering the same thing.  Then I saw a report on a local news show that said they might change the water restrictions so we can water twice a week.  They still want to conserve in case we move into a very long dry spell following this rainy spell?  Guess so.

WOTR

From what I have seen, usually there are water restrictions during / after floods.  Not because they are worried about running out of water- but rather because of the difficulty in treating flood waters to be fit for consumption.  Usually there is lots of extra silt and contaminants in flood waters and it takes much longer to purify it and make it safe for drinking.  If people waste thousands of gallons of it the treatment plant cannot keep the quality of the water up to standards.

Maybe, that is not the case this time- but I would bet it is...

albrecht

Quote from: wotr1 on May 31, 2015, 01:07:18 PM
From what I have seen, usually there are water restrictions during / after floods.  Not because they are worried about running out of water- but rather because of the difficulty in treating flood waters to be fit for consumption.  Usually there is lots of extra silt and contaminants in flood waters and it takes much longer to purify it and make it safe for drinking.  If people waste thousands of gallons of it the treatment plant cannot keep the quality of the water up to standards.

Well it is the same commercial that they have been running before we got the rain so I'm guessing it already paid-for and/or they still want to keep the restrictions because we will go back into drought at some point. Personally I never understood the logic. If I wash my truck or water my lawn I'm putting water back into the ground and drawing it from the lake, so it would seem to help nature and possibly even put water back into the aquifer (since I am in a recharge zone.)

onan

Quote from: albrecht on May 31, 2015, 01:16:46 PM
Well it is the same commercial that they have been running before we got the rain so I'm guessing it already paid-for and/or they still want to keep the restrictions because we will go back into drought at some point. Personally I never understood the logic. If I wash my truck or water my lawn I'm putting water back into the ground and drawing it from the lake, so it would seem to help nature and possibly even put water back into the aquifer (since I am in a recharge zone.)

If it were a closed system, you would probably be correct.

albrecht

Did anyone see those awesome clouds the other day? I've only seen them once before in my life, also in Austin, a few decades ago. Back then the entire sky as far as you could see looked like the bottom of rain-drops (or titties without nipples, as the name implies.) This time, where I was, it wasn't the whole sky but still amazing. It was funny to actually watch people looking up into the sky, going outside,  instead of staring at their phones and computers. Unfortunately I did not have  camera and the smartphone photo I took didn't do it justice. Surreal and beautiful.
http://intuitivefred888.blogspot.com/2015/05/mammatus-clouds.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammatus_cloud

Paradox

Quote from: wotr1 on May 31, 2015, 01:07:18 PM

Makes a great deal of sense because we had several treatment plants breached and some areas were under a boil water directive.  may stiil be for all i know.  been having to pay attention to other things.