• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Truck Stop Stories

Started by Lilith, May 19, 2015, 09:19:18 PM

Lilith

I shall start, but I hope to read some of YOUR Truck Stop Stories as well, as I am sure there are some truckers, and ex-truckers on this forum.  Maybe there are even people here who have worked in other capacities at truckstops in their lifetimes, like waitresses, and such.  As for myself, I worked alone, on midnight shift in the gas station where truckers paused at night to take a breather and fill their diesel tanks.

So............It was a dark and stormy night, one of the coldest and windiest I can ever remember.  I walked outside to check the lot to make sure nothing dangerous was loose that could fly around and do some damage.  In the thick mist of a heavy snowfall, I could barely make out with my eyelashes nearly frozen shut, something laying on the ground close to the front tire of an empty parked truck.  I approached cautiously, wondering what it was, and as I approached I nearly jumped out of my skin as a huge black head raised above the large dark form and looked in my direction with eyes frozen shut.  It was the largest Rottweiler I had ever seen in my life, and he had a chain wrapped around his neck, which had gotten wound around the front tire of the truck somehow.  I approached slowly, whispering sweet nothings, trying to keep the huge fellow calm as I walked gently closer and closer.  His ears started to perk up, and his tail started to wag enthusiastically :D    I managed to kick the partially frozen chain loose from the tire,  and the huge furry bundle of joy made sure I knew I was safe by trying to lick my face, and be all friendly and stuff.  When he rose up on all fours, his back was as high as my shoulders almost.  I walked him into the gas station, where he was very happy, loved, warm and fed as we did everything we could to locate his owner/s.   Well, to make a long story short, as much as I wanted to keep him, I worked long hours, which left me with all but no time to care for a beautiful dog. Not surprisingly, one night we found him a loving home.....and yes, his new family was a truck driver that he took a special liking to, and I guess *happy ending alert*...........the truck driver took a special liking to him as well.   

Ok....YOUR turn :D

bateman

You're a sweet lady. Glad you're here.

Lilith

Quote from: bateman on May 19, 2015, 09:25:06 PM
You're a sweet lady. Glad you're here.

Aww...Thank You bateman.....I'm happy to BE here, and get to know all of YOU  :D

Lilith

The Truck Stop where I worked, is long closed down now.  I remember the slow crumble once the "No Smoking" laws went into effect.  I remember my boss was all excited that his non-smoking well-to-do friends would now be flooding the restaurant to enjoy the new smoke-free, Truck Stop fine dining experience.  :o   Ok, so, well........that didn't happen.  Truckers trucks were turning into homes away from home at about the same time,  so they were not frequenting the Truck Stop dining area and motel rooms like they used to either, opting instead to pay for over night parking where they could enjoy all the comforts of their customized home-away-from-home,  and the freedom to smoke their cigarettes, watch their DVD's. or whatever they enjoyed doing to relax during their time off the road.  Yes, my boss spent a lot of time trying to keep our lot free of "Lot Lizzards",  and for the most part, did a pretty good job of that.

Quote from: brig on May 19, 2015, 09:19:18 PM
a truck driver that he took a special liking to, and I guess *happy ending alert*...........the truck driver took a special liking to him as well.   

Say no more!

Lilith

This was done on a whim, and VERY impromptu........I'll try to do better next time  :)
https://youtu.be/ZporivDIkLI

Quote from: brig on May 20, 2015, 12:31:00 PM
This was done on a whim, and VERY impromptu........I'll try to do better next time  :)

What state was the truck stop in?

It seems like all the truck stops these days are TA America, Flying J, and Pilot. Flying J and Pilot seem to bring in the craziest people at night.
I used to like fueling up there because I would get cheap gas, a cheap thermos of coffee fill-up, and a slice of pizza.  I don't anymore though, just too many angry people there at night.

Lilith

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 21, 2015, 07:11:04 AM
What state was the truck stop in?

It seems like all the truck stops these days are TA America, Flying J, and Pilot. Flying J and Pilot seem to bring in the craziest people at night.
I used to like fueling up there because I would get cheap gas, a cheap thermos of coffee fill-up, and a slice of pizza.  I don't anymore though, just too many angry people there at night.

New York. It was not one of those big names you mention.  It was a small privately owned truck stop.......YOU know, the old fashioned FUN kind  ;)

Lilith

I DO have a TRUE creepy truck stop story, that actually happened to ME.......but I am saving it for one of two scenarios.  I will either tell it on an episode of gabcast.......OR I will tell it when I get better at making videos.  It was a traumatic event for me, but, well.........I guess I will just have to keep everyone in suspense for now.......Untill I get the courage to tell it.  :'( 8) ;D

b_dubb

Quote from: brig on May 21, 2015, 08:02:40 AM
I DO have a TRUE creepy truck stop story, that actually happened to ME.......but I am saving it for one of two scenarios.  I will either tell it on an episode of gabcast.......OR I will tell it when I get better at making videos.  It was a traumatic event for me, but, well.........I guess I will just have to keep everyone in suspense for now.......Untill I get the courage to tell it.  :'( 8) ;D
I VOTE GABCAST PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Who

I thoroughly enjoyed your video and I'm looking forward to the next one.  I enjoyed the dog story too.  Anyone who loves animals is a special person.  I'm really glad you're here!

Lilith

Quote from: Doctor Who on May 21, 2015, 08:27:29 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed your video and I'm looking forward to the next one.  I enjoyed the dog story too.  Anyone who loves animals is a special person.  I'm really glad you're here!

Hehehe....I plan to have "intro music" and glamorous outfits for my videos soon...stay tuned.....Mwahahahahahaha

Lilith

Quote from: b_dubb on May 21, 2015, 08:20:58 AM

*hugs*   I will try........I have to work up the courage.  ;)

popple

I agree :)

I enjoyed your posts, brig!

Quote from: popple on May 21, 2015, 12:28:29 PM
I agree :)
I enjoyed your posts, brig!

Yes, yes.  I loved your video!!
Don't worry.  This is the home place.  We all want you to stay longer.   :)
Looking forward to hearing your stories.

Lilith

Quote from: Treading Water on May 21, 2015, 04:15:24 PM
Yes, yes.  I loved your video!!
Don't worry.  This is the home place.  We all want you to stay longer.   :)
Looking forward to hearing your stories.

Awww :)   You know,  I DO feel at home here.   I've been on a LOT of forums in my day, and never felt so at home as I do here!!!!  The bellgab program the other night, and peoples reaction to the "truck stop" part of my call in, has made me stop and think back on a LOT of memories from those days.  Some make me giggle, and some make me cry of course, as with all things.  I already have a few memories jotted down on my new list of Truck Stop Stories to tell.  Maybe Falkie will stop by this thread and give me a few tips for making better videos   ;D 8)

b_dubb

An excellent story told well.

Heather Wade

Quote from: brig on May 21, 2015, 08:02:40 AM

Yes!  I vote you please call in to the GabCast when you are brave enough to tell this story.

Lilith

Quote from: (Redacted) on May 21, 2015, 06:55:38 PM
Yes!  I vote you please call in to the GabCast when you are brave enough to tell this story.

Arite :D  I PROMISE !!!!!  :D

LadyFish

Enjoying your stories. Thanks so much for sharing!

ksm32

Quote from: brig on May 21, 2015, 09:12:24 AM
*hugs*   I will try........I have to work up the courage.  ;)

You can do it! I've called in and made a complete ass of myself. You'll do fine :)

WhiteCrow

It's refreshing to read your posts and watch your videos, they express contentment and gratefulness of a life well lived.

Lilith

Quote from: (Redacted) on May 21, 2015, 06:55:38 PM

In light of "new posibilities" ... perhaps I'll wait till you are co-hosting on Midnight in the Desert with Art Bell  ;)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: brig on May 21, 2015, 06:05:30 PM
Last moments with the Chief.

What a lovely heartfelt recollection Brig. Thank you. :)

Quote from: brig on May 21, 2015, 04:54:49 PM

Maybe Falkie will stop by this thread and give me a few tips for making better videos   ;D 8)

Erm....No. He could however learn more from the first twenty seconds of yours than he's accrued up until now. I bet I'm not alone in that opinion.

PathoJen

Quote from: brig on May 19, 2015, 09:19:18 PM
I shall start, but I hope to read some of YOUR Truck Stop Stories as well, as I am sure there are some truckers, and ex-truckers on this forum.  Maybe there are even people here who have worked in other capacities at truckstops in their lifetimes, like waitresses, and such.  As for myself, I worked alone, on midnight shift in the gas station where truckers paused at night to take a breather and fill their diesel tanks.

So............It was a dark and stormy night, one of the coldest and windiest I can ever remember.  I walked outside to check the lot to make sure nothing dangerous was loose that could fly around and do some damage.  In the thick mist of a heavy snowfall, I could barely make out with my eyelashes nearly frozen shut, something laying on the ground close to the front tire of an empty parked truck.  I approached cautiously, wondering what it was, and as I approached I nearly jumped out of my skin as a huge black head raised above the large dark form and looked in my direction with eyes frozen shut.  It was the largest Rottweiler I had ever seen in my life, and he had a chain wrapped around his neck, which had gotten wound around the front tire of the truck somehow.  I approached slowly, whispering sweet nothings, trying to keep the huge fellow calm as I walked gently closer and closer.  His ears started to perk up, and his tail started to wag enthusiastically :D    I managed to kick the partially frozen chain loose from the tire,  and the huge furry bundle of joy made sure I knew I was safe by trying to lick my face, and be all friendly and stuff.  When he rose up on all fours, his back was as high as my shoulders almost.  I walked him into the gas station, where he was very happy, loved, warm and fed as we did everything we could to locate his owner/s.   Well, to make a long story short, as much as I wanted to keep him, I worked long hours, which left me with all but no time to care for a beautiful dog. Not surprisingly, one night we found him a loving home.....and yes, his new family was a truck driver that he took a special liking to, and I guess *happy ending alert*...........the truck driver took a special liking to him as well.   

Ok....YOUR turn :D
Aw, this story is particularly lovely to me since I work in animal rescue. What a sweet story.

PathoJen

Your stories are wonderful. Thank you for sharing! I can't wait for you to call Bellgab with the creepy story.

twiki

Based on the title of the thread I thought the topic would be a bit more salacious.   :-[

Cool story though. Thank you for sharing.

WOTR

https://youtu.be/ZporivDIkLI
I made it about 30 seconds in so far (and will finish watching is shortly.)  Maybe it is the pinkie purple that you are wearing (or the fact that you mention a truck stop), but I am reminded of the Blackfoot.  I still stop to eat there once or twice a month as the food is quite good and the waitresses are great.  A few of them have moved on lately and they took out the diesel pumps... It has me wondering what the future will bring.  The owner passed away and while she was always there, her kids who inherited it appear to be absent (or maybe they are in the back or work different hours?)

Anyhow, the interior is mostly pink, the waitresses all wear pink / purple, and it is a nice, independently owned truck stop (without the fuel islands, can I still call it a "truck stop?")  I thought you may get a kick out of the history...

Edna opened it in 1956 and ran it until she passed away in 2011.  I always imagine what kind of a woman would open up a place catering to truckers in 1956...

Anyhow, you can flip through the gallery if you want, or read the short blurb they had about Edna... She was far more interesting than the short paragraph lets on...
http://blackfootdiner.ca