• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

True Detective

Started by jazmunda, May 15, 2015, 01:04:37 AM

Sardondi

Quote from: onan on June 28, 2015, 05:29:59 AM...Along that same line I have always thought Colin Farrel was an above average yet underrated actor. As always ice cream would not sell nearly as well if there were only one flavor.

Sounds like we're in the same place on these folks. Colin Farrell, whom I had pretty much dismissed for most of his career as a lazy, drunken lout getting by on his looks as the most handsome unibrow in captivity. (Does the man put furry caterpillars on his brow?!) But as his face and body have started showing the mileage he's put on them, he seems to be gaining some depth as an actor. Hope it continues.

Lilith

Quote from: bateman on June 29, 2015, 01:34:39 AM
Welp, I'm hooked.

Did you watch Season One, Or start with Season 2?

onan

Quote from: Sardondi on June 28, 2015, 11:15:26 PM
Sounds like we're in the same place on these folks. Colin Farrell, whom I had pretty much dismissed for most of his career as a lazy, drunken lout getting by on his looks as the most handsome unibrow in captivity. (Does the man put furry caterpillars on his brow?!) But as his face and body have started showing the mileage he's put on them, he seems to be gaining some depth as an actor. Hope it continues.

Spoiler Alert!!!!!

Might be a moot point.

bateman

Quote from: brig on June 29, 2015, 06:01:29 AM
Did you watch Season One, Or start with Season 2?

Season 2. I'll go back & watch the McConaughey/Harrelson season after.

bateman

Quote from: onan on June 29, 2015, 06:44:29 AM

Spoiler Alert!!!!!

Might be a moot point.

SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT

Nobody could take multiple shotgun blasts at close range and survive.

onan

Quote from: bateman on June 29, 2015, 04:26:51 PM

SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT

Nobody could take multiple shotgun blasts at close range and survive.

SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT

I read an article from someone that has seen ep3. In real life the blast alone would be devastating, never mind the projectile/s. Not saying anymore.

chefist

It was a great episode for sure! Getting interesting...was the Rick Springfield in it?

b_dubb

SPOILER ALERT

If dude survives I will be pissed.  Close range.  With the floor behind you.  That shot would go through him and then scatter out everywhere.  There's no fucking way.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: bateman on June 29, 2015, 04:25:05 PM
Season 2. I'll go back & watch the McConaughey/Harrelson season after.

Season one is the most brilliant season of any show ever made. It's also the most esoteric show ever made.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: chefist on June 29, 2015, 04:32:35 PM
It was a great episode for sure! Getting interesting...was the Rick Springfield in it?

Yeah he's the creepy psychologist guy who was wearing sunglasses.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: b_dubb on June 29, 2015, 08:42:11 PM
SPOILER ALERT

If dude survives I will be pissed.  Close range.  With the floor behind you.  That shot would go through him and then scatter out everywhere.  There's no fucking way.

Yeah, I truly am failing to understand how he could survive that. Even if it was rock salt and he was wearing a vest, I don't see how he could survive.

onan

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 02, 2015, 03:26:16 AM

Yeah, I truly am failing to understand how he could survive that. Even if it was rock salt and he was wearing a vest, I don't see how he could survive.

No matter how they explain it, the suspension of disbelief mechanism will need a new battery.

Lilith

.......UNLESS, he's an Immortal, ET, clone, or shapeshifter of some sort...........noo noo noo noo

b_dubb

I think they were just playing against expectations. You see an actor like Farrel cast in a role you usually don't see them get iced early on. This is the director and the producers say all bets are off. Anything can happen.

analog kid

This is probably some major spoilage, but it's proof Ray lives. Maybe the shotgun had blanks in it, but it's still dangerous at point blank and no one could pay me enough to take that to the stomach.

b_dubb

Quote from: analog kid on July 02, 2015, 11:22:13 AM
This is probably some major spoilage, but it's proof Ray lives. Maybe the shotgun had blanks in it, but it's still dangerous at point blank and no one could pay me enough to take that to the stomach.

NO. FUCKING. WAY.

analog kid

It might be a setup and Ray faked his own death in front of the camera. The pool of blood being there is odd. We also see Ray walking past the car out front with presumably the birdman sitting in it.

bateman

So that last episode kinda sucked, huh?

SaucyRossy

Quote from: bateman on July 07, 2015, 01:06:11 AM
So that last episode kinda sucked, huh?

You think so? I thought it was pretty nuts. Super lynchian vibe going on there.

Ray died. That's a fact. However he's still alive. I can explain more about what I mean by that but think of schroedingers cat.

onan

I have a couple problems with ep 3. First, rubber buckshot at close range is quite deadly. Had Farrell's character had body armor... well, ok.
Second, Rachel McAdams... she is miles behind the others in acting ability and she can't utter a full sentence without fading to a mumble by the end.

But the story of Vaugn and Farrell I think is about to become the ride of the show.

And to be honest, I want this show to be good. So I may have some fan-boi shit going on.

chefist

Quote from: onan on July 07, 2015, 03:22:47 AM
I have a couple problems with ep 3. First, rubber buckshot at close range is quite deadly. Had Farrell's character had body armor... well, ok.
Second, Rachel McAdams... she is miles behind the others in acting ability and she can't utter a full sentence without fading to a mumble by the end.

But the story of Vaugn and Farrell I think is about to become the ride of the show.

And to be honest, I want this show to be good. So I may have some fan-boi shit going on.
I hear ya...the very beginning was another example of channelling David Lynch...was waiting for the lady with the log...they should have shown the teeth coming out of the skull, why they cut away was beyond me...like they wanted to show it over the air...

b_dubb

A bean bag round at close range might kill. Probably has. Rubber shot is definitely lethal at close range. The trick here is Colin flexed his six pack at just the right time.

So everything is cool right? And leave Rachel alone. I'm hoping she does more scenes in her black lace undies. Acting? Pfffft

SaucyRossy

Quote from: b_dubb on July 07, 2015, 12:01:47 PM
A bean bag round at close range might kill. Probably has. Rubber shot is definitely lethal at close range. The trick here is Colin flexed his six pack at just the right time.

So everything is cool right? And leave Rachel alone. I'm hoping she does more scenes in her black lace undies. Acting? Pfffft

The trick is, that he died.

He died in one universe and in another barely survived and woke back up. Hence why in the opening he has a massive wound on his chest where the shot was.

It all goes back to what Vaughn's character said about the basement and maybe he never made it out. In one universe he didn't. He died. That's why it haunts him

Go back to season one. There is no way that Woody or Matt's characters should've survived, but they did.

Now think about Rust's musings on life and how everything repeats and is a circle.

We don't die, our consciousness just moves to a parallel dimension where we miraculously survived and continue to live out our nightmare lives in pain of existence (the show also has existential themes). That's the philosophy and underlining story of the show.

b_dubb

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 07, 2015, 02:09:01 PM

The trick is, that he died.

He died in one universe and in another barely survived and woke back up. Hence why in the opening he has a massive wound on his chest where the shot was.

It all goes back to what Vaughn's character said about the basement and maybe he never made it out. In one universe he didn't. He died. That's why it haunts him

Go back to season one. There is no way that Woody or Matt's characters should've survived, but they did.

Now think about Rust's musings on life and how everything repeats and is a circle.

We don't die, our consciousness just moves to a parallel dimension where we miraculously survived and continue to live out our nightmare lives in pain of existence (the show also has existential themes). That's the philosophy and underlining story of the show.
This is an interesting take. I never felt like parallel worlds were being invoked. I think the reason it disturbed him was because he almost got killed and that scares the shit out of him. And why he opted for water instead of liquor at the next meeting with Vaughn's character.

So I'm going to politely disagree. But an interesting idea.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: b_dubb on July 07, 2015, 02:25:41 PM
This is an interesting take. I never felt like parallel worlds were being invoked. I think the reason it disturbed him was because he almost got killed and that scares the shit out of him. And why he opted for water instead of liquor at the next meeting with Vaughn's character.

So I'm going to politely disagree. But an interesting idea.

Don't think of it as like sliders versions of parralell worlds. Can be of the minute things that are different. For example it would take a lot of dying to get to a world where Jfk never was assassinated etc.

And I've had this inkling for awhile now but the opening to episode three all but confirmed it.

Think about how rust talked about the emptiness when he died. He saw what he believed would be there after death but his daughter was there. Ray is sort of the negative version of rust. He dies and he goes to his trusty bar and sees his dad.

b_dubb

Quote from: SaucyRossy on July 07, 2015, 02:31:39 PM

Don't think of it as like sliders versions of parralell worlds. Can be of the minute things that are different. For example it would take a lot of dying to get to a world where Jfk never was assassinated etc.

And I've had this inkling for awhile now but the opening to episode three all but confirmed it.

Think about how rust talked about the emptiness when he died. He saw what he believed would be there after death but his daughter was there. Ray is sort of the negative version of rust. He dies and he goes to his trusty bar and sees his dad.
I think Rust just sensed her presence. I don't remember him saying he saw anything.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: b_dubb on July 07, 2015, 03:18:44 PM
I think Rust just sensed her presence. I don't remember him saying he saw anything.

I meant he saw nothing but black but heard his daughter.

onan

I'm having a tough time following the plot from Nic Pizzolatto. I am not going to add the Dubb Sross' version to the mix.