• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Anyone Else Here A Writer?

Started by ponyboysunset, March 25, 2015, 08:35:46 AM

ponyboysunset

Hello All,

It was discussed last night in the chat room prior to Gabcast that I would start a thread for all of us writers on the forum. I, as most of you know, am writing a three book series called Velvet Heaven about a vampire talk show host who gets turned over the age of 50. Here are the first three chapters.
https://archive.org/details/VelvetHeavenPreview

Several others had amazing ideas and we should get together in this thread and discuss them. SkunkApe I believe is writing a zombie western (I would so read that) and themudking is writing a book about vampires as well. I know I would love to discuss the struggles of writing novels with others so please feel free join me.

Albemuth

I’m a wanna-be writer but freely concede I don’t have the mental discipline to accomplish this anymore. The whole applying butt to chair thing for a set number of hours just doesn’t work for me. I’ll likely lurk out here and read/welcome this thread though as this is a topic of interest to me. Sincere best of luck to all you Bellgab writers!

Juan

Yeah.  I wrote probably 35-40,000 stories as a journalist.  Now I'm working out how to write fiction. I find myself editing too much and not writing enough.

3OctaveFart

I have paid bills and for beer with money I have earned writing, yes.
Been kicking around a screenplay idea for about 10 years.
My wife says if someone else writes my movie then I will be single.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Juan on March 25, 2015, 08:57:09 AM
Yeah.  I wrote probably 35-40,000 stories as a journalist.  Now I'm working out how to write fiction. I find myself editing too much and not writing enough.

I have the same issue as far as editing I get that. I write a lot so I don't have that other issue. And wow you are a journalist, very cool!

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Albemuth on March 25, 2015, 08:54:40 AM
I’m a wanna-be writer but freely concede I don’t have the mental discipline to accomplish this anymore. The whole applying butt to chair thing for a set number of hours just doesn’t work for me. I’ll likely lurk out here and read/welcome this thread though as this is a topic of interest to me. Sincere best of luck to all you Bellgab writers!
Thanks and you never know you might start writing. I write an hour a day or so. Lurk freely.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: 3OctaveFart on March 25, 2015, 09:47:35 AM
I have paid bills and for beer with money I have earned writing, yes.
Been kicking around a screenplay idea for about 10 years.
My wife says if someone else writes my movie then I will be single.
You should do that before someone else writes it! Good luck to you!

zeebo

So far just George Noory haikus, but I want to branch out from there.

Quote from: Juan on March 25, 2015, 08:57:09 AM

I recommend something like Dragon Naturally Speaking to lay down some ground work. It feels like it is much easier to talk a scene out and then edit it, than to just start writing/typing.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: zeebo on March 25, 2015, 11:35:57 AM
And Art Bell as well! I am a fan Zeebo.  ;D

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 25, 2015, 12:40:21 PM
I recommend something like Dragon Naturally Speaking to lay down some ground work. It feels like it is much easier to talk a scene out and then edit it, than to just start writing/typing.
This sounds like an amazing idea! This is what this thread is all about.

nbirnes

I missed the broadcast, and I hope there is a creepy archive so I can listen later. But I did want to raise my hand and say hello, and yes, I am a writer. I've never joined any groups before this, but you guys seem friendly and supportive, so here goes. I've got a few unpublished novels on my hard drive ... congratulations to those who have working titles, and especially series published and circulating.

There is a sort of concentration that novels require that nonfiction doesn't, and that's been my tripping point. You sort of have to throw your whole self into it and almost do nothing else until the dream vision is written out. At least, that's been my experience.

SaucyRossy

Yup, screenwriter.

Working on my first foray into short stories, going to be in a kindle book of collected Scifi short stories next month.

Happy to see so many writers here!

nbirnes

Quote from: SaucyRossy on March 25, 2015, 04:01:15 PM
Yup, screenwriter.

Working on my first foray into short stories, going to be in a kindle book of collected Scifi short stories next month.

Happy to see so many writers here!

We should look out for each other on the various threads here. I'm a fish-out-of-water because I'm a writer talking out loud once a week, so it's excellent knowing there are other folks like me here.

My own contributions to the written word

Steampunk short stories - contributed three stories in two small press volumes
Cthulhu short stories  - one in a charity compilation
Steampunk Erotica - my only paying gig so far  :o

The great thing about George Noory haikus is that you don't need to write a real haiku; George can't count syllables.

Quote from: ponyboysunset on March 25, 2015, 12:55:03 PM
This sounds like an amazing idea! This is what this thread is all about.

I do it sometimes. It's nice because you can stand up and walk around or just like act out a scene with props while standing. The software isn't great at recognizing many strange names so give your characters the names of cities-such as Mary Houston or Tim Dallas. You can then do a search and replace later on to fix the names.

ponyboysunset

I am so happy so many of you are choosing to join this thread. Yes we should support one another and offer ideas as it is not an easy thing.

To who said lose yourself completely that is true. I do not date when I write because of how much I am committed to a project and fear I will start writing about her. This has happened before. Lol.

Talking a scene out is great. A professor of mine during a play writing class told us to read all of our writing out loud. Even if it isn't a play this helps. And if you are going to school or can take a play writing class your dialogue and speech rhythm will improve.

Thanks everyone for sharing. Write on and post often. We can all learn from each their.

Bleefy

I'm writing a book about terrorist fairies stealing passenger jets. No, really. It's slightly less ridiculous than it sounds.

Mostly, I stick to short stories.

cweb

Aside from some voice-over and sports doc writing/producing, my only attempts at proper writing were for a short-lived comedy website run by a friend.

I really envy you folks who have the ability to sit down and churn out the pages. Such patience isn't within me!

Quote from: ponyboysunset on March 25, 2015, 06:23:56 PM
Talking a scene out is great. A professor of mine during a play writing class told us to read all of our writing out loud. Even if it isn't a play this helps.
This is great advice for any writing. Sometimes I do this for e-mails. A former employer of mine used to e-mail these jumbled ambiguous ramblings to us petty underlings-- I vowed to avoid that habit at all costs.

I feel like Kurt Vonnegut must've done this. His style is so very colloquial, which I greatly enjoy.

ponyboysunset

I actually was posing action figures when I wrote a scene in my last novel. Other great advice from a friend I know who writes screen plays, he looks up images on the net of places and cars as inspiration.

Bleefy

Quote from: ponyboysunset on March 26, 2015, 07:11:31 AM
I actually was posing action figures when I wrote a scene in my last novel. Other great advice from a friend I know who writes screen plays, he looks up images on the net of places and cars as inspiration.

I play around with Tarot cards when I'm stuck. Nothing really specific -- I just start shuffling them around on the table, and something sparks eventually. Don't ask me how that works.

b_dubb

I've completed one screenplay, multiple short stories, a novella and have half started two or three screenplays. The screenplay is a mess as it was the first I ever wrote. I also wrote the scripts for the various commercial spoofs that aired on the GabCast. Yes I'm the comedy genius that introduced the world to Taintco.

*** this post sponsored by LaxiBrew - It's The Water

*** respect to Eddie Dean for sound design

The General

Next step: dirty limericks on bathroom stall doors.

nbirnes

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 25, 2015, 05:43:20 PM
The great thing about George Noory haikus is that you don't need to write a real haiku; George can't count syllables.

He also couldn't understand my time-travel story and gave it the Big Kabosh. I need to get a second opinion one fine day.

yumyumtree

Used to be.  Then I realized that I didn't really have much talent, there was too much crap being published already and didn't want to further contribute to it.

Also the real work of writing is re-writing, and re-writing is a bitch.

Juan

Rewriting is my ex-wife's level of bitch.

Quote from: nbirnes on March 26, 2015, 10:49:09 AM
He also couldn't understand my time-travel story and gave it the Big Kabosh. I need to get a second opinion one fine day.

George once spent an entire show asking a guest "where would you appear?", "What if you appeared in a tree?", "Could you appear in China?", "how could you get to where you wanted to go?" when the guest had repeatedly explained that the time machine itself didn't go back in time -- just its contents.  You would step into it sometime in the distant future, and then step out at an earlier date, but after it had been activated and wherever it had been placed at that time.  George never got it.

Why can't you publish it under your own name?  Contractual restrictions?

3OctaveFart

Quote from: ponyboysunset on March 25, 2015, 09:56:35 AM
You should do that before someone else writes it! Good luck to you!
Thank you.
Inspiration is fleeting, so is the discipline to do it.
I have told Falkie to pitch to paranormal magazines.

ponyboysunset

Wrote a new 10 page short story that I think will turn into a side book after the triolgoy I am writing. Same characters just from a different viewpoint and at a different point in time. Although, given the amount of sex I wrote it might not get published main stream. LOL. Happy writing.