• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Catholics...

Started by Kelt, February 25, 2015, 09:25:13 PM

Eddie Coyle

It's Filet O' Fish season for the Mackerel Snappers until early April. 2 fo' fo!

That is the Paul VI Audience Hall, a theatre which straddles Vatican City and Italy, seats 6300, and is sometimes used by the Pope for his Wednesday morning General Audience.

The particular photo is possibly taken from Pope Benedict's resignation.

The statue is an eight tonne bronze/copper alloy sculpture called La Resurrezione created by Pericle Fazzini, depicting the resurrection of Christ.

This is the word of Wikipedia.  So sayeth it, so let it be done.

b_dubb

gnooryblows

so give yourself to satan

gnooryblows

churches, money, power, pedophilia, oppression, selfhatred - all the doings of christians
give yourself to satanism and free your mind body and soul

Quote from: Kelt on February 25, 2015, 09:25:13 PM
Explain.

not to be an ass in the face of art, but the vatican could use some serious spiritual CGI. However, i would say that the sculpture has a very battlestar galactica feel to it.  ;)

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 25, 2015, 09:54:13 PM
    It's Filet O' Fish season for the Mackerel Snappers until early April. 2 fo' fo!

Why is it that I haven't been to church in years and still I cant bring myself to eat meat on Fridays in lent. The ties that bind are made of mackerel and also fishcakes and spaghetti.  :o

VtaGeezer

You want Norman Rockwell maybe?  It's not so strange with the lights on...

ItsOver

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on March 01, 2015, 01:35:58 PM
Why is it that I haven't been to church in years and still I cant bring myself to eat meat on Fridays in lent. The ties that bind are made of mackerel and also fishcakes and spaghetti.  :o
I'm not Catholic but I love to see this time of year roll around.  I love seafood and Lent brings some nice specials in my area.  I enjoyed some really nice wild Alaskan cod last night.  Light and very tasty.

Kelt

Quote from: VtaGeezer on March 01, 2015, 01:47:21 PM

True, it transforms from just plain strange to sinister and horrifying when you turn the lights on.

ItsOver

Quote from: VtaGeezer on March 01, 2015, 01:47:21 PM

Almost looks like an H.R. Giger creation.

Avi

It's not just the Catholics. I was once invited, by my boss at the time, to a choral performance. Little did I know it was a 'Passion of the Christ' oddity. I was doing well - these folks had lovely voices - until the giant Jesus figure rose up from the stage floor, and laser beams shot out of its eyes. I became so tickled, that I could not stop giggling. These were, I determined later, Baptists.

This production features too much foliage.

Quote from: ItsOver on March 01, 2015, 02:04:37 PM
I'm not Catholic but I love to see this time of year roll around.  I love seafood and Lent brings some nice specials in my area.  I enjoyed some really nice wild Alaskan cod last night.  Light and very tasty.

Completely agree!  Our local grocery chain has some great sales on wild caught Gulf shrimp.  I plan to stock up for the year and am going to try my hand at making one of my favorite food groups, ceviche.

Kelt

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 01, 2015, 02:35:43 PM
Completely agree!  Our local grocery chain has some great sales on wild caught Gulf shrimp.  I plan to stock up for the year and am going to try my hand at making one of my favorite food groups, ceviche.

"I'm not Catholic, but I love Gulf Shrimp". This may be the first time I've seen that particular combination of ideas :)

Quote from: Kelt on March 01, 2015, 02:40:18 PM
"I'm not Catholic, but I love Gulf Shrimp". This may be the first time I've seen that particular combination of ideas :)

It's like having your cake and eating it, too, without any guilt or bad touches!  ;D

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on March 01, 2015, 02:35:43 PM
Great idea, RGG.  Love ceviche.  Also love taking some jumbos, marinating in regular old Wishbone Italian, with a little extra garlic thrown in, then grilling those marvelous delights.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on March 01, 2015, 01:35:58 PM

You ain't kidding. My Catholicism lapse occurred when Mike Dukakis was still governor of my state...but I still find myself abiding by Lent rules. Eternal damnation for a cheeseburger on Friday in March. Fish and cheese pizza diet on those days.

Then again, my Mick diet requires fish and potatoes three times a week anyway..

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 01, 2015, 04:54:49 PM
     You ain't kidding. My Catholicism lapse occurred when Mike Dukakis was still governor of my state...but I still find myself abiding by Lent rules. Eternal damnation for a cheeseburger on Friday in March. Fish and cheese pizza diet on those days.

Then again, my Mick diet requires fish and potatoes three times a week anyway..

This annoys me to no end. I mean, I'm beyond a lapsed Catholic, so I don't understand the hold this one rule has over me, apart from the fact that like It's Over said, there are great fish sales this time of year and I do enjoy a good fishcakes and spaghetti Friday night.

My mom was a devoted lapsed Catholic. When the church abolished meat on Fridays she wanted to know what happened to all the people who went to hell for a hotdog at the ballpark. I think I've let Mom down.  :'(

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on March 01, 2015, 10:57:37 PM
This annoys me to no end. I mean, I'm beyond a lapsed Catholic, so I don't understand the hold this one rule has over me, apart from the fact that like It's Over said, there are great fish sales this time of year and I do enjoy a good fishcakes and spaghetti Friday night.

My mom was a devoted lapsed Catholic. When the church abolished meat on Fridays she wanted to know what happened to all the people who went to hell for a hotdog at the ballpark. I think I've let Mom down.  :'(

I'm envious that you at least had a like mind in your family with your mother's lapsing. I'm the resident apostate, even my younger siblings in their late twenties are fairly devout.Though for all of the rampant Catholicism in the bloodline, I don't know of one priest or nun. And I have over 60 first and second cousins and pretty much every last one of them is Catholic(well at start-by parents choice) and I guess the fact I have so many cousins is indicator that aunts/uncles didn't pursue that line of work either.

It's funny how the meat on Fridays thing hangs over my head, but the "giving something up" for Lent is a concept that never enters the picture. I had a hard enough time doing that when I believed.

Fishcakes and spaghetti...I may have that tomorrow.

ksm32

I could climb that.  If it was built well and could support my hulking frame?  It would be neeto & groovy man to take a bottle of single malt to the top and look for Ron. (I don't know any Ron's)

"RON!!  I know you're out there in the seats you lil bitch!" <- Something like that, as I pretended to look for a friend when the authorities came in to arrest me.

Cool :)

Kelt

You should try atheism... you get Sundays off.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 01, 2015, 11:28:42 PM
    I'm envious that you at least had a like mind in your family with your mother's lapsing. I'm the resident apostate, even my younger siblings in their late twenties are fairly devout.Though for all of the rampant Catholicism in the bloodline, I don't know of one priest or nun. And I have over 60 first and second cousins and pretty much every last one of them is Catholic(well at start-by parents choice) and I guess the fact I have so many cousins is indicator that aunts/uncles didn't pursue that line of work either.

It's funny how the meat on Fridays thing hangs over my head, but the "giving something up" for Lent is a concept that never enters the picture. I had a hard enough time doing that when I believed.

Fishcakes and spaghetti...I may have that tomorrow.

We came to Catholicism by way of the good old CoE, so maybe the root isn't quite as deep. But there came a time when one of my brothers, my mother and myself all had a common epiphany which basically was that the church was bollocks, and we haven't looked  back. For my mom, it was being married to an abusive son of a bitch at 17 who beat her and the 40 year silence she heard when she petitioned for an annulment while the likes of Frank Sinatra sailed through the process. Or, her own sister not having her stand up as godmother because she was divorced and remarried. For me, it was one day walking out of confession saying to myself what the hell are you doing? And I never went back.

Having a nun in the family, even in the in-law family is highly overrated. Your mother gets a direct line to your behaviour in high school by way of Sister Mary Tattletale.  ;D

I still like the fish cakes and spaghetti, though.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on March 02, 2015, 04:09:22 PM
We came to Catholicism by way of the good old CoE, so maybe the root isn't quite as deep. But there came a time when one of my brothers, my mother and myself all had a common epiphany which basically was that the church was bollocks, and we haven't looked  back. For my mom, it was being married to an abusive son of a bitch at 17 who beat her and the 40 year silence she heard when she petitioned for an annulment while the likes of Frank Sinatra sailed through the process. Or, her own sister not having her stand up as godmother because she was divorced and remarried. For me, it was one day walking out of confession saying to myself what the hell are you doing? And I never went back.

You can't spell annulment without alm, and the Sinatras and Kennedys could easily pay the fee that God's plenipotentiaries demand. The Kangaroo Court that is the Catholic Church requires a lot of kneeling. No thanks.

I think the reason the Catholicism strain remains in my family is due to the Cafeteria Catholicism that is practiced. Outside of a couple of Opus Dei-types, the approach is laissez-faire in terms of contraception, divorce, etc. They attend church regularly, but there's no proselytization. Those of us who've lapsed aren't treated like lepers. At least to our faces :-\

pyewacket

Quote from: Avi on March 01, 2015, 02:21:23 PM
It's not just the Catholics. I was once invited, by my boss at the time, to a choral performance. Little did I know it was a 'Passion of the Christ' oddity. I was doing well - these folks had lovely voices - until the giant Jesus figure rose up from the stage floor, and laser beams shot out of its eyes. I became so tickled, that I could not stop giggling. These were, I determined later, Baptists.

This production features too much foliage.

I would have been laughing right along with you, Avi! I've worked with fundamentalist Baptists and they are a special sort.  ;D