• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

Quote from: Juan Cena on March 29, 2015, 03:00:40 AM
I'd love to hear Knapp do a show on Kirby one night.

Yeah, I was a big comic book fan. Actually still am but don't buy them anymore. I have many of the classic old Marvels from the 60's.  Got them when they were still relatively cheap many moons ago.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on March 29, 2015, 03:06:41 AM
Nah, that's his favourite Star Trek character.  The big foot from Harry and the Hendersons is his favourite Star Wars character.

Well played!

Nah, that's his favourite Star Trek character.  The big foot from Harry and the Hendersons is his favourite Star Wars character.

;D

Juan Cena

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 29, 2015, 03:08:34 AM
Yeah, I was a big comic book fan. Actually still am but don't buy them anymore. I have many of the classic old Marvels from the 60's.  Got them when they were still relatively cheap many moons ago.

My cousin used to have a full run of X-Men from 1963 onwards. He sold them all after he got married in the late 90's. Bad idea in hindsight.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 29, 2015, 03:01:59 AM
I always wanted Christopher Lee to do some audio dramas of HP Lovecraft stories.

Here is a fun one of him reading Dracula

http://youtu.be/bod1sdaVjlU

Oh, my. On the side bar is the full movie Horror Express with Lee, Chushing, and Telly Savalas. Gotta' love the tubes.

Quote from: Juan Cena on March 29, 2015, 03:00:40 AM
I'd love to hear Knapp do a show on Kirby one night.

In 1986 Kirby sued Marvel to get back some of his original artwork on the panels the Fantastic Four, Hulk, and Captain America, among others. By this time, Kirby was acknowledged as the "King of Comics" by pretty much everyone. The lawyers resisted, but eventually Kirby won and Marvel sent him back around 2,100 pages.

-----"
The day the package arrived in 1987, two friends helped Jack open and catalogue the contents.
"Hey, I got a good one," Kirby chuckled now and then as they came across an especially memorable page.

There was a cover that had been inked by his old friend and colleague, Bill Everett, who had died fourteen years earlier.
According to Jack, the cause of death was "alcohol and comics, not necessarily in that order."

Kirby started at the page for a long time, looking past the drawing on it, trying to connect with the man who'd laid down
the fine inkwork. "Bill was a great guy," he said. "I hope people remember him."

Then he paused, laughed a little laugh and added, "I was right. We should have made Bill King of the Comics."

"-----

From Kirby: King of Comics by Mark Evanier 2008

Quote from: Juan Cena on March 29, 2015, 03:12:23 AM
My cousin used to have a full run of X-Men from 1963 onwards. He sold them all after he got married in the late 90's. Bad idea in hindsight.

I have most of the run. Issue 3 on up to the 1990's. I have most of the Amazing Spider-man run too from like issue 8 on.

pate

Quote from: zeebo on March 29, 2015, 02:07:29 AM
When I finally watched the last one, and got to about the last third of it, I thought to myself how great the second series could have been, but it was too little too late at that point imho.

This is the point where I...???...

Lucas, at the time you filmed this masterpiece you had what Super-8?

Why do you relegate your skills to second tier?

Yah!  Graphics, why your accelerated graphipcs(sp) so slooooow? 

You embarrass3ed, bro?

Galactica! Geesh!

Quote from: Nick el Ass on March 29, 2015, 03:12:33 AM
Oh, my. On the side bar is the full movie Horror Express with Lee, Chushing, and Telly Savalas. Gotta' love the tubes.

I have that one.  That's a good film. Really got a kick out of Savalas.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 29, 2015, 03:16:01 AM
In 1986 Kirby sued Marvel to get back some of his original artwork on the panels the Fantastic Four, Hulk, and Captain America, among others. By this time, Kirby was acknowledged as the "King of Comics" by pretty much everyone. The lawyers resisted, but eventually Kirby won and Marvel sent him back around 2,100 pages.

-----"
The day the package arrived in 1987, two friends helped Jack open and catalogue the contents.
"Hey, I got a good one," Kirby chuckled now and then as they came across an especially memorable page.

There was a cover that had been inked by his old friend and colleague, Bill Everett, who had died fourteen years earlier.
According to Jack, the cause of death was "alcohol and comics, not necessarily in that order."

Kirby started at the page for a long time, looking past the drawing on it, trying to connect with the man who'd laid down
the fine inkwork. "Bill was a great guy," he said. "I hope people remember him."

Then he paused, laughed a little laugh and added, "I was right. We should have made Bill King of the Comics."

"-----

From Kirby: King of Comics by Mark Evanier 2008

The Kirby estate tried to win back the rights of all the characters he created for Marvel. The case was going to the Supreme Court before Disney and the estate came to a financial agreement out of court.

Nick el Ass

Chris Gore formerly of G4TV was on a webshow recently, and mentioned as a kid he thought Chewbacca looked like the wolfman. So when I saw this I giggled again.

Can't forget Stan Lee. Of course he gets most of the credit anyway even when it may not be as well deserved. He is the Last Man Standing from those early days.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to bed I go.  G'night.

pate

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 29, 2015, 03:22:13 AM
I have that one.  That's a good film. Really got a kick out of Savalas.

I can't wait to see that one...

The King and I - Movie Trailer

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 29, 2015, 03:26:57 AM
Can't forget Stan Lee. Of course he gets most of the credit anyway even when it may not be as well deserved. He is the Last Man Standing from those early days.
=================================
'Allo!
Still i am with you.
Too many errors of fact in this thread.
Firstly,the 'Last'man standing--actually,sitting at his drawing board,in an un-disclosed location in joo yawk--
is the totally obscured-by-klods- "Steven Ditko"!!
'Twas he,whom actually invented:
"Doctor Strange."
"Spider Man"
"(re-told)Charlton's Blue(blew?)Beetle"
"Doctor Doom"
"Tim Boo Ba".
"The Question"
"Morlok 2000+the To-Morrow Men"(for R.Buckler's Atlas)
+ thousands of funny named villains,monsters,'IT's,et.al.
FOR as little as $5.00/page,under 'For Hire'rule:
Marvel/Stanley X owns everything.
Steverino did:
1)Character invention.
2)Art of costume for said character.
3)design guide for continuity writers.
4)pencils/roughs.
5)break-downs.
6)Cover Art with coloring.
7)plot/story line arcs.
All in absolute anonymity,working from an un-disclosed location in Greenwitch village area by telephone and courier.
AND:He also did his own characters(ie,Mr.A) for self-published under-grounds,plus his work for "Stan-Tooney"& Billibrew in:
"High Heels in the Heavens"
"Sweeter Gwendolyn"
(cf:'John Willie)
Where he was relegated to fill ins and back-grounds,but discovered "Gwen",Mr.Arachnid's High-School sweet-heart.
Any qvestions,churls?
"B_B"
PS:Still working up the "Norrygeddon slash Noorypocalypse"
PPS:"Geo.Lucasis an incompetent hack.
His only 'good' work is first 5 minutes of"THX-1138"w cameo by Jim Morrison,from 16mm.thesis film at UcRa film school.

Juan Cena

Quote from: b_dubb on March 29, 2015, 07:43:07 PM
here's a possible story for Knapp

http://www.sliptalk.com/las-vegas-has-many-dark-secrets-but-none-are-disheartening-as-this/

I don't really see iHateRadio letting any subject that might put the homeless in a sympathetic light.

Juan Cena

Thank you Geroge Knapp for trying to pour water on the conspiracy spanks about the "invasion" of Texas.

AvDaBr

I liked the Bill Walton and Jolly Green Giant references in his introduction about the show's second half.  I wish the historical (via newspaper accounts) documentation of giants was the entire show.  But the almighty split show format is what we're left with once again. 

I think Ketchum and Knapp should have rehearsed a bit- they're talking over each other pretty badly thus far.

goldendeal

A show on Giants or Bigfoot? Knapp should clear this up. I thought the show would be about physical evidence of the Nephilim, the Giants of Old Testament lore. :-\

Quote from: Beelzebubbelah on March 29, 2015, 07:09:35 PM
=================================
'Allo!
Still i am with you.
Too many errors of fact in this thread.
Firstly,the 'Last'man standing--actually,sitting at his drawing board,in an un-disclosed location in joo yawk--
is the totally obscured-by-klods- "Steven Ditko"!!
'Twas he,whom actually invented:
"Doctor Strange."
"Spider Man"
"(re-told)Charlton's Blue(blew?)Beetle"
"Doctor Doom"
"Tim Boo Ba".
"The Question"
"Morlok 2000+the To-Morrow Men"(for R.Buckler's Atlas)
+ thousands of funny named villains,monsters,'IT's,et.al.

I love Steve Ditko. I have a lot of his work.  If I had to choose what my favorite work of his was, it would be close but I'd have to give Dr. Strange the edge over Spider-man though I could relate to Peter Parker better than I could Dr. Strange.  The layouts to his Strange Tales work were fantastic and very psychedelic.  I have most of the Strange run including the first appearance.

goldendeal

Quote from: Juan Cena on March 29, 2015, 11:14:09 PM
I don't really see iHateRadio letting any subject that might put the homeless in a sympathetic light.

They should have never exposed these people, now the government will come up with a way to charge them rent.

paladin1991

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 29, 2015, 12:42:32 AM
I agree 100% with you.  I liked the first 3 films but I'm not a fanboy. Actually I remember seeing the first film in the theater when I was 11 and I thought it was silly though I grew to like it in later viewings.  I thought C3P0 was a bit effeminate and paired with R2D2 , it was all too cutesy.  I hated Princess Leia's hairdo. Best things about the film were Guinness, Vader, and Ford.
Hell, I thought he was just English.

goldendeal

Been through this "bigfoot" DNA before...old news,  it's a dead end Melba.

Juan Cena

Quote from: goldendeal on March 30, 2015, 12:28:55 AM
Been through this "bigfoot" DNA before...old news,  it's a dead end Melba.

I think half her time on the show has been a "woe is me!" fit about how the mainstream scientific community has treated her.

At least be smart enough to suggest that The Illuminati was trying to block your research or something like that.

paladin1991

I'm afraid that the show so far doesn't seem to grab me.  *shrug*  I think it's the weak presentation fm the guest.  While Knappy does his best with what he is given, sometimes there just isn't that much to work with.

Look on the bright side, the one good thing about split shows is if you don't like one guest interview it will soon be over and there's another to look forward to.

zeebo

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 29, 2015, 12:42:32 AM
...Best things about the film were Guinness, Vader, and Ford.

I'd say the best thing was the soundtrack.  A epic triumph of music and mood which still sounds great today.

AvDaBr

Speaking of the split show, it appears the second half guest has split.  More Melba.