• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

Heidi Hollis sounded just like my Aunt Susie.
So even with the giggles, I liked her. And heck, listening to Hat Man stories in the dark at 3am is scary no matter how many giggles take place.

Quote from: Major Ed Damien on January 18, 2015, 06:17:17 PM

If you're saying that I have a closed mind about "things," then I'd like to see some proof of that.  What things do you mean?  You don't know me, but it seems as if you have closed your mind to the idea that I might have an open mind.

I am open to examining any evidence by any person of any occupation on any matter -- including evidence that is only anecdotal or hearsay. 

If my mind were closed, then I doubt that I would be able to listen to "Coast-to-Coast AM" every night of the week.  I am compulsively too curious about everything not to have an open mind.

I haven't even closed my mind to alchemy -- although, thus far, the evidence is fairly convincing that base metals cannot be magically transformed into gold.

The optimum way to prove things these days is to see if they can be reasonably documented.  It helps if the phenomenon in question is repeatable.

Anybody can say that they have been visited by dead persons, but the enthusiasm about their claim should be matched with at least an equal amount of proof. 

As Carl Sagan said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."  And it's only fair to the rest of us.

I apologize for making the assumption that you don't have an open mind.  I had no right to say it as I don't know you.  I guess all I'm saying is that through my experiences, I have come to the conclusion that some things can't be explained.  Not yet anyway. I don't really buy into the statement that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. It makes a nice sound-bite but I believe good evidence is adequate enough.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 19, 2015, 01:23:19 PM
I apologize for making the assumption that you don't have an open mind.  I had no right to say it as I don't know you.  I guess all I'm saying is that through my experiences, I have come to the conclusion that some things can't be explained.  Not yet anyway. I don't really buy into the statement that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. It makes a nice sound-bite but I believe good evidence is adequate enough.

Unnecessary apology accepted.  You are a scholar and a 22nd Century gentleman.

I don't view Carl Sagan's quote -- "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" -- as a "sound-bite."  The fact that it is remembered so well by his fellow scientists this long after his death is an indication of its entry as an aphorism worthy of any of the great Enlightenment thinkers.  Sir Francis Bacon -- who established the scientific method -- could have said something like that.  Voltaire could have said that.  Einstein might have said that.

Perhaps you misunderstand what he meant.  If you have even "good" evidence of the extraordinary claim that you have been visited by a deceased person, then your good evidence would indeed be extraordinary to our life and times.  It would be an extraordinary discovery.  Carl only set up an equation for people to think about -- and mere sound-bites don't make people think or debate many years later.

"Have a Coke and a smile," is a sound-bite.  "I'm lovin' it," is a sound-bite."  "Keep hope alive," is a sound-bite.  "Yes, we can" -- is a sound-bite.  Anything a politician says that is repeated by the media for a day or two is a sound-bite.

On the matter of proof, you appear to believe in faith healing when you wrote earlier:

"(T)here are times when things don't make sense.  The cancer patient who finds out after fervent prayer and ministering that the tumors are gone.  It happened to a friend of mine."

What you put forward there was proof -- but it wasn't good proof.  At this point, I'd be a fool to accept it as more than an anecdote.  I wouldn't have paid you a lot of money to learn it.  It was, however, clearly an event that deserves extensive curiosity and research.

What if, for example, certain rare cancer patients have an extraordinarily uncommon DNA or genetic sequence of some kind that allows a previously unknown super-immune system to kick in for them and thus shrink tumors to the point that they are harmless?  If we could isolate their advantage so that it might be shared among everyone -- no matter what their religion was or who they prayed to -- wouldn't that be something?

Rather than accept is as faith, wouldn't it be wonderful if we could prove that it wasn't faith -- so that persons of any faith or no faith might be saved by it?

Science is all about curiosity and investigation.  Religion, on the other hand, is remarkable for its lack of curiosity and disinterest in further investigation.  The Bible is a beautiful and extraordinary piece of literature in many of its places -- my favorite part of it is Ecclesiastes -- but it's not a science textbook.  It doesn't help to explain the theory of gravity or electricity.  The Bible isn't at all responsible for these computers we're using to speak to each other.  Research and applied science did that.

I think faith is wonderful.  Faith can make people feel good. Faith has inspired some great art, music and even architecture.

But another great thinker once said:  "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."

136 or 142

Quote from: Delphi on January 19, 2015, 08:07:48 AM
Does anyone know a good place to get Knapp audios?  I'm wanting to listen.. Im getting low on my art Bell collection..  I need some stuff to tide me over until July

While I sadly can't tell you of anything specific, other than you could probably find stuff on the torrents, I suggest you put your new found knowledge of the dark net to use.

136 or 142

Quote from: HorrorReporter on January 19, 2015, 10:01:56 AM
Heidi Hollis sounded just like my Aunt Susie.
So even with the giggles, I liked her. And heck, listening to Hat Man stories in the dark at 3am is scary no matter how many giggles take place.

I personally didn't care for it one bit and I turned away with half hour to go to listen to a sports station discussing my Seahawks.

All her 'evidence' of hatman were meaningless anecdotes and she was rudely dismissive of the callers who tried to approach her with a scientific perspective. And, I also didn't think she was a very good storyteller.

Also, to top it off, I thought Knapp should have started her segment with the theme song to Batman.

Quote from: 136 or 142 on January 19, 2015, 05:21:52 PM

I personally didn't care for it one bit and I turned away with half hour to go to listen to a sports station discussing my Seahawks.

All her 'evidence' of hatman were meaningless anecdotes and she was rudely dismissive of the callers who tried to approach her with a scientific perspective. And, I also didn't think she was a very good storyteller.

Also, to top it off, I thought Knapp should have started her segment with the theme song to Batman.

Heidi Hollis comes across as insincere and I really wonder how much she really believes in this stuff.  Its like a big joke to her.  I read her tract on the hatman and it left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 20, 2015, 03:46:41 PM
Heidi Hollis comes across as insincere and I really wonder how much she really believes in this stuff.
Especially how she laughs. Ok, maybe that is just her personality or weird affectation but still weird if she really believes in an evil entity that is trying to hurt people. Only Norry laughs at hurt people or mean babies. Also, how all her "entities" grew overtime and then also, in response to every caller, also are all connected- or maybe the same thing. Shadow People become a "hatman" (who also could be the "slenderman" and maybe alien abductions are also associated. Lastly, how then all now meld into "demons" and evil supernatural and "you got to get your spiritual practice right" and becoming more of a Bible-thumper. Like she discovered "hey there is a whole market of pentecostal etc Christians I can sell too also" but backtracks, a bit, (don't want to lose market of the new-agers, pagans, etc) that "whatever kind of spiritualism you believe in.")
Knapp didn't sound like he bought her stuff much. But still managed to make the interview a lot better than when she is on with Norry.

zeebo

Quote from: maureen on January 18, 2015, 01:26:58 PM
I totally agree...like good liner notes on old vinyl records!

Exactly!  Little tidbits of musical miscellany to ponder.  8)

Zetaspeak

Hollis was the most chipper attitude in remembering an emotion life altering experience. I've see people more emotionally scarred from a football game  ;D

Nebraska888

Quote from: Zetaspeak on January 22, 2015, 01:29:01 AM
Hollis was the most chipper attitude in remembering an emotion life altering experience. I've see people more emotionally scarred from a football game  ;D

I agree.....it was off-putting and I sensed it was irritating Knapp as well.  Too goofy for me......just like Connie W.

Nebraska888

As I posted in the Schrader thread.....great weekend again.

Schrader/Friday
Schrader/Saturday
Knapp/Sunday

Life is good.   ;)

Quote from: Nebraska888 on January 23, 2015, 12:58:12 AM
As I posted in the Schrader thread.....great weekend again.

Schrader/Friday
Schrader/Saturday
Knapp/Sunday

Life is good.   ;)

Hear! Hear! I couldn't agree more. It looks like alien implants, and Janis Joplin on tap for Sunday night

zeebo

Quote from: Nebraska888 on January 23, 2015, 12:58:12 AM
Schrader/Friday
Schrader/Saturday
Knapp/Sunday

i.e. a Noory-free three-day weekend.   ;D

ItsOver

Another Knapp Night approaches.  I'll warm up with a little "Outer Limits" on This TV.  I also noticed "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" is on tonight, during Knapp, so I'll be doing some multi-entertainment.  It'll be good to watch KKFOS, visualizing Jorch hiding under Tommy's skirt, trembling in terror.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: ItsOver on January 25, 2015, 03:31:20 PM
Another Knapp Night approaches.  I'll warm up with a little "Outer Limits" on This TV.  I also noticed "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" is on tonight, during Knapp, so I'll be doing some multi-entertainment.  It'll be good to watch KKFOS, visualizing Jorch hiding under Tommy's skirt, trembling in terror.

Back in June I actually found a KKFOS t-shirt on the clearance rack at a head shop.  Gave it as a gift to a friend who has a real phobia about clowns.

ItsOver

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 25, 2015, 03:44:14 PM

Back in June I actually found a KKFOS t-shirt on the clearance rack at a head shop.  Gave it as a gift to a friend who has a real phobia about clowns.
Ha!  Cool.   8)  I wouldn't mind having one to help ward off the suck of Noory.

It's Knapp time, so
Put another log on the fire.
Cook me up some bacon and some beans.
And go out to the car and change the tyre.
Wash my socks and sew my old blue jeans.
Come on, baby, you can fill my pipe,
And then go fetch my slippers.
And boil me up another pot of tea.
Then put another log on the fire, babe,
And come and tell me why you're leaving me.

zeebo

This Knapp interview about Janis is already so much better than Noory's failed Jim Morrison show, where all he wanted to talk about was sensationalist stuff like how much he drank and how he died. 

Lovin' the bumper music tonight!

I still don't get what the second part of the show concerns.

Stuff from aliens gets taken out of people's butt's?

Sometimes George sounds so pedantic on the show that he often comes across sounding like an accountant whose underwear is on too tight.

But now I wonder if he perhaps has something mechanical in his butt.

Ha, ha . . . he just said "tail," instead of "trail."

It must be the bad alien audio.

Hmmmmmm . . . martial arts leads to alien implants for our guest.

Who knew?

I wonder where ballet would have led him -- possibly to Bigfoot square dances and ghost orgies.

Dosie dough.

This guest's subject/mentor is John Lear?

He says he slept on his floor.  I wonder if Lear ever let him try on his straitjacket.

The guest calls his film a "passion project."

The word "passion" is the most over-used word in today's American glossary -- and George Noory has certainly made it worse with his canned question, "What's drives your passion?" -- but this guy just found a new way to deserve being strangled for his use of it.

"George Knapp's Alien Buttplug" would make a helluva band name.

I guess I'd call myself "Anonymous" too, if I was running around saying whacked-out shit like that guy.

zeebo

So this patient says it takes an alien implant to question his faith because God wouldn't let that kind of thing happen?  There aren't any other examples?  ... say every nite on the news?

What is Dr. Lear a "doctor" of, anyway?

Well, it turns out his specialty is Alien-Related Proctology and Outer Space Rectal Reconstruction.

The malpractice premiums must be satellite-high.

Quote from: zeebo on January 26, 2015, 01:46:18 AM
So this patient says it takes an alien implant to question his faith because God wouldn't let that kind of thing happen?  There aren't any other examples?  ... say every nite on the news?

Hey, don't get too logical here.

You'll upset the rubes.

I like the way the guest says "dude" and "like" to describe the implant surgery.

It hearkens back to the badly-told tales from the self-published cracker Bigfoot woman two nights ago.

I'm not getting it . . . is the guest a film maker or a teenaged surfer dude from Redondo Beach?