• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

WOTR

Quote from: zeebo on August 31, 2014, 11:50:28 PM
Correct.  Knapp, like Art, knows that good radio is an imaginitive experience, an evocative mindscape, a kind of virtual reality that they're inviting us into.  Noory however makes it feel like an appointment at the DMVentist
Fixed it for you.
Quote from: Morgus on August 31, 2014, 11:21:20 PM
Tonight Knapp again spoke to listeners when they call in tonight to "bring their A Game"
Thats in contrast to Noory and  his callers that bring their "F Game" ;)
Like others, I noticed when George scoffed at the caller who talked about Chewbacca.  I actually appreciated a host who is willing to basically tell a caller to piss off.  He let the guy ask the questions, but was unwilling to let him go without comment.  People used to say that Art's show was an oasis where they could talk about things that are outside of the norm without fear and I appreciate Knapp trying to keep it that way.  No problem with questions or disagreements, but you could tell from the start of the call that there was condensation from the caller.

***Welcome to page 101.***

NoMoreNoory

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 01, 2014, 01:00:34 AM
More like a bat or two in her Bigfoot belfry.  She lost me long before she started talking about fallen angel DNA.  She's nominee for Twit of the Week!

Ketchup made no such claim. A caller asked whether the saskwatch might be fallen angels. Melba merely said that she had no evidence to support that, but would not rule anything out. I don't think she believes fallen angels have anything to do with it, but when she's faced with unknown DNA, what can she say? I like her a lot and I'm always fascinated by her conversations with Knapp. She's a long way from being a twit.
Favourite moment came when George went to calls. 'First caller, on our Wild Card line, Dave Paulides joins us.'

zeebo

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on September 01, 2014, 11:58:51 PM
...I like her a lot and I'm always fascinated by her conversations with Knapp. She's a long way from being a twit...

Entitled to your opinion of course but she seemed a little flaky to me too.  She lost me when she said something about maybe having a Dog-man or two in her samples.   And I always get worried when guests imply that the scientists out there are conspiring against them.  But she was entertaining and brought some things up that are open to speculation so I mostly enjoyed it.

Sasquatch as fallen angles-that is a new one to me.

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on September 02, 2014, 09:15:37 AM
Sasquatch as fallen angles-that is a new one to me.

Maybe she meant to say fuzzy angels?

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on September 01, 2014, 11:58:51 PM
Ketchup made no such claim. A caller asked whether the saskwatch might be fallen angels. Melba merely said that she had no evidence to support that, but would not rule anything out. I don't think she believes fallen angels have anything to do with it, but when she's faced with unknown DNA, what can she say? I like her a lot and I'm always fascinated by her conversations with Knapp. She's a long way from being a twit.
Favourite moment came when George went to calls. 'First caller, on our Wild Card line, Dave Paulides joins us.'

She starting to grow on me. I questioned why Knapp would waste his time promoting someone who was obviously off the rails when she first was on his show, but this time I found her story interesting. I still don't buy it, but then I don't come from the Pacific Northwest so what do I know? If I'm going to give most of Art's sketchy  old guests the benefit of the doubt and suspend disbelief for an entertaining evening listening to a strange tale, then Knapp and his guests deserve the same, as he does put a lot of thought and prep into his shows. I've done a 180 on Melba, but I'm still listening mainly for the entertainment factor.

cweb

FINALLY caught Knapp's show from last week, and I agree with most that's been said. Really enjoyable.

The Chewbacca caller seemed like an asshole. George handled him perfectly.

I used to visit Lon's Phantoms and Monsters page back in college. Kind of forgot about it since then. Glad to see he's still presenting stories and pics of strange stuff. Not so glad to see that his site is still pretty cluttered.

Another Beatles show tonight.. meh.  One or two is okay but it seems this is becoming a regular topic.  I know they revolutionized rock but not being of the Beatles generation I never really saw the fascination.  At least it's George Knapp, so may still be worth a listen.

zeebo

It's not uncommon for me to be wishy-washy on a Knapp topic, but I try and give it a listen, since often he can win me over.  He's got great intros and his sincere journalistic interest is contagious.  This is an example tonite.

In spite of being lukewarm on the topic, I'm finding this celebrity/narcissism theme kind of interesting.  The guest mentioned Rachel Ray, and how in spite of lackluster cooking skills/training she's become this huge media star because she plays well on tv and has huge publicity.  As for me, I wrote her off forever after one day seeing her "Hot Dog Salad" dinner.  I'm not kidding.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 20, 2014, 09:19:54 PM
Another Beatles show tonight.. meh.  One or two is okay but it seems this is becoming a regular topic.  I know they revolutionized rock but not being of the Beatles generation I never really saw the fascination.  At least it's George Knapp, so may still be worth a listen.

My guess is that the first one did pretty well to do another. That or Knapp actually read the book and liked it.

Scully

I'm a Knapp fan for sure, but sometimes his topics are just too far from what I look forward to hearing about in the middle of the night.  This is one of those nights.

I'm listening to a rerun of Dreamland from 1995, re various forms of ET's.  Much more interesting than the Beatles.  :D

$175 for a book!  He should try to find a regular publisher for the book.  Mass Production could eliminate cost and more copies would be sold.  If Knapp has read the book and says its good, then it must be.  As A Beatle fan, I would probably buy the book if it was priced under $100. Not likely to happen as it stands.

Man, Paul is sounding old.  His voice is really quavering these days.

pyewacket

I caught the first guest with Knapp and I really enjoyed it. Knapp was well prepared, asked good questions that related to the topic and kept the conversation moving. It's such a stark contrast from George's style. The guest was good, too.

I have to agree on Rachael Ray- I could never understand her popularity. At one time, I think she had 4 shows going on The Food Network. We watched some just to laugh at the nonsense and her over the top affectations- YUMMMMMM! along with the eye rolling. LOL

I didn't catch much of the Beatles segment but it seemed to be interesting as well. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it was a pleasure listening to a real interview for a change.

VtaGeezer

Disappointed in Knapp's dull show tonight but strangeness and paranormal topics have been flogged to numbness, and the quality of the associated experts has declined pretty dramatically.   Its becoming clearer as time goes on that strangeness and paranormal topics have become a zombie genre; decrepit and falling apart but it won't die. 

paladin1991

Quote from: pyewacket on September 21, 2014, 08:31:42 AM

I have to agree on Rachael Ray- I could never understand her popularity. At one time, I think she had 4 shows going on The Food Network. We watched some just to laugh at the nonsense and her over the top affectations- YUMMMMMM! along with the eye rolling. LOL

Back in the day, I thought she was YUMMO!  Cute as a bug.

pyewacket

Quote from: paladin1991 on September 21, 2014, 11:04:09 AM
Back in the day, I thought she was YUMMO!  Cute as a bug.

I'm not trying to be a snarky female about her, but what is her "magic"? She is cute but I found her a little too perky. I'm more of an Alton Brown fan- quirky, nerdy- the whole package. LOL I really appreciated learning the science of cooking. Between Brown and his frequent guest, Shirley O. Corriher, I improved on many old recipes. I could only take small doses of RR and never felt inclined to try any of her recipes. Plus, as a rule, I ignore anyone Oprah recommends.

Nebraska888

Quote from: zeebo on September 20, 2014, 11:27:05 PM
It's not uncommon for me to be wishy-washy on a Knapp topic, but I try and give it a listen, since often he can win me over.  He's got great intros and his sincere journalistic interest is contagious.  This is an example tonite.

In spite of being lukewarm on the topic, I'm finding this celebrity/narcissism theme kind of interesting.  The guest mentioned Rachel Ray, and how in spite of lackluster cooking skills/training she's become this huge media star because she plays well on tv and has huge publicity.  As for me, I wrote her off forever after one day seeing her "Hot Dog Salad" dinner.  I'm not kidding.

Agreed........the topic(s) were somewhat "yawn" producing.....but, as usual with Knapp, it ended up to be a great night!  He never ceases to amaze me.

Nebraska888

Quote from: pyewacket on September 21, 2014, 08:31:42 AM
I caught the first guest with Knapp and I really enjoyed it. Knapp was well prepared, asked good questions that related to the topic and kept the conversation moving. It's such a stark contrast from George's style. The guest was good, too.

I didn't catch much of the Beatles segment but it seemed to be interesting as well. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it was a pleasure listening to a real interview for a change.

I agree!!!   ;)

paladin1991

Quote from: pyewacket on September 21, 2014, 11:30:07 AM
I'm not trying to be a snarky female about her, but what is her "magic"? She is cute but I found her a little too perky. I'm more of an Alton Brown fan- quirky, nerdy- the whole package. LOL I really appreciated learning the science of cooking. Between Brown and his frequent guest, Shirley O. Corriher, I improved on many old recipes. I could only take small doses of RR and never felt inclined to try any of her recipes. Plus, as a rule, I ignore anyone Oprah recommends.
Wait.  You're a chick?  Dude!  All this time I thought you were a dude!

zeebo

Quote from: Nebraska888 on September 21, 2014, 02:25:00 PM
Agreed........the topic(s) were somewhat "yawn" producing.....but, as usual with Knapp, it ended up to be a great night!  He never ceases to amaze me.

Yeah I'm actually still thinking about it today.  The way branding and public relations craft so much of what people think is real, from music to sports to politics.  Quite interesting and illuminating I thought. 

zeebo

Quote from: paladin1991 on September 22, 2014, 01:04:21 AM

Don't feel bad pyewacket, I've had people think I'm a girl squirrel, even though I'm of the male persuasion.  I myself was convinced for months that SciFiAuthor was a dolphin of the female kind, but turns out he's a he dolphin. 

I wonder where these text-based gender impressions come from actually.  It would make for an interesting sociological study to find out how it works.  Maybe Knapp should do a show about it.  Or Bigfoot, or whatever.   :D

WOTR

Quote from: zeebo on September 22, 2014, 01:32:21 AM
Don't feel bad pyewacket, I've had people think I'm a girl squirrel, even though I'm of the male persuasion.  I myself was convinced for months that SciFiAuthor was a dolphin of the female kind, but turns out he's a he dolphin. 
Just how does a land-dwelling squirrel from an area near the grand canyon find out such information on an ocean dwelling poster?

Anyhow, I am enjoying the show again tonight.  I really do enjoy the tales form the "golden age" of Vegas.  I cannot stay there for more than a day in it's present form.  I think I would have preferred the city of the 70's.

Gd5150

Great show tonight. Love classic Vegas stories. Such a "rich" history. I would love to have been able to visit back in the late 50s and 60s.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Gd5150 on September 22, 2014, 02:15:34 AM
Great show tonight. Love classic Vegas stories. Such a "rich" history. I would love to have been able to visit back in the late 50s and 60s.

Knapp Mafia shows are always fun.

PChirp

I wonder where these text-based gender impressions come from actually.  It would make for an interesting sociological study to find out how it works.  Maybe Knapp should do a show about it.  Or Bigfoot, or whatever.   :D

I've always enjoyed zeebo's posts, although I've always pegged him as a "him".  Somewhat playfully secretive and always witty and intellegent, my favorite kind of poster.  ;D

pyewacket

Quote from: paladin1991 on September 22, 2014, 01:04:21 AM

Yep- I'm of the xx chromosomal variety. It's hard to tell who's who or what on forums.  ;D

My hubby has a squirrel avatar, too- he's a fan of those cleaver little guys. I like your idea - it would make an interesting show- but NOT with Georche!!! Can you imagine his questions and anecdotal remarks? Can you imagine the bumper music?  :o

Quote from: pyewacket on September 22, 2014, 11:02:32 AM
....My hubby has a squirrel avatar, too- he's a fan of those cleaver little guys. I like your idea - it would make an interesting show- but NOT with Georche!!! Can you imagine his questions and anecdotal remarks? Can you imagine the bumper music?  :o

I can.  It would be the same questions, remarks, and bumper music as every other night  ;)  People like familiarity and not to be challenged ::).

pyewacket

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 22, 2014, 12:32:09 PM
I can.  It would be the same questions, remarks, and bumper music as every other night  ;)  People like familiarity and not to be challenged ::).

You're right- it's the radio version of Groundhog Day;D