• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Knapp

Started by ArtBellFan, April 27, 2008, 09:05:01 AM

WOTR

With all of this talk of spirits that cannot be contacted via the ouiji board, I have decided to break out the absinthe this evening to accompany Knapp...

Quote from: zeebo on December 01, 2014, 02:58:04 AM
Ok so the Blink guy is kinda loosy-goosy but I'm still mildly enjoying this tonite.  It's kinda like Knapp Lite, like we're just eavesdropping on two guys talking about whatever over beers.

Exactly.

Uncle Duke

I have a tough time listening to these "stream of consciousness" guests, their lack of structure and inability to stay focused must be even more maddening for an interviewer than it is the audience. Also, anyone else ever notice these type guests tend to get questions from listeners who are equally unfocused and obtuse?  I find myself silently urging them, "Ah c'mon, a verb at some point, PLEASE".

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 01, 2014, 04:37:35 AM
I have a tough time listening to these "stream of consciousness" guests, their lack of structure and inability to stay focused must be even more maddening for an interviewer than it is the audience. Also, anyone else ever notice these type guests tend to get questions from listeners who are equally unfocused and obtuse?  I find myself silently urging them, "Ah c'mon, a verb at some point, PLEASE".

I just kind of imagine myself back in my hippie days.  A time when a great many things seemed plausible, if not downright possible.

Plus a few glasses of good scotch help.

Nebraska888

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 01, 2014, 12:03:05 AM
     The only spirit Noory inspires listeners to drink:

OMG!!!!   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D !!!!!

b_dubb

Quote from: FightTheFuture on December 01, 2014, 05:32:57 AM
Plus a few glasses of good scotch help.
Aren't you in recovery?

Uncle Duke

I've commented in the past how those in ufology make themselves look silly and discredit their efforts with their comments, especially when talking about areas such as the military and science. This is noteworthy in that those are the two areas where the field's harshest critics come from. Knapp provided a good example of this early in the program last night during his plug for the latest "Knapp's News" feature on the C2C homepage.

In this discussion, Knapp referenced a link to a scanner site that would allow listeners to hear radio traffic of security forces at Area 51.  He then proceeded to explain to his audience the meanings of various "code lingo" terms and acronyms they might hear, concluding with "FOD". Said Knapp, "...and then this is interesting, F-O-D, 'foreign object debris', sure would like to know what that refers to".  It was clear by his tone he was implying this was something ominous the USAF was trying to hide behind some secretive military acronym.

As anyone with even the slightest knowledge of flying knows, "FOD" is a standard term used across all aviation, not just in the military.  It can be something internal or external to the aircraft, but in this case it's obvious the concern was external.  Foreign object debris can be damn near anything found along taxiways or runways that, if left in place, can cause damage to aircraft during taxi and/or takeoff and landing.  The most common concern for FOD is having it get sucked into an engine at takeoff, damaging or destroying the engine and resulting in a crash. Rocks, animals (dead or alive), parts that have fallen off other a/c or maintenance vehicles, even carelessly dropped personal items have all been responsible for lost a/c over the years.  The radio calls Knapp spoke of were nothing more than security forces being tasked to check for and remove any such debris on the airfield.  Nothing sinister here, this happens at airfields all over the world everyday.

Perhaps the best known example of a non-military, FOD-caused mishap was the loss of the Concorde taking off from Paris in 2000.  In that case, a metal piece that had fallen off another a/c on to the runway catastrophically shredded one of the Concorde's tires, resulting in the rupture of a wing fuel tank. Escaping fuel was then ignited by the a/c's engines, resulting in a massive fire and the loss of the Concorde and all aboard, as well as several on the ground. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzbNlaLyWuA

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 01, 2014, 03:33:49 PM
I've commented in the past how those in ufology make themselves look silly and discredit their efforts with their comments, especially when talking about areas such as the military and science. This is noteworthy in that those are the two areas where the field's harshest critics come from. Knapp provided a good example of this early in the program last night during his plug for the latest "Knapp's News" feature on the C2C homepage.

In this discussion, Knapp referenced a link to a scanner site that would allow listeners to hear radio traffic of security forces at Area 51.  He then proceeded to explain to his audience the meanings of various "code lingo" terms and acronyms they might hear, concluding with "FOD". Said Knapp, "...and then this is interesting, F-O-D, 'foreign object debris', sure would like to know what that refers to".  It was clear by his tone he was implying this was something ominous the USAF was trying to hide behind some secretive military acronym.

As anyone with even the slightest knowledge of flying knows, "FOD" is a standard term used across all aviation, not just in the military.  It can be something internal or external to the aircraft, but in this case it's obvious the concern was external.  Foreign object debris can be damn near anything found along taxiways or runways that, if left in place, can cause damage to aircraft during taxi and/or takeoff and landing.  The most common concern for FOD is having it get sucked into an engine at takeoff, damaging or destroying the engine and resulting in a crash. Rocks, animals (dead or alive), parts that have fallen off other a/c or maintenance vehicles, even carelessly dropped personal items have all been responsible for lost a/c over the years.  The radio calls Knapp spoke of were nothing more than security forces being tasked to check for and remove any such debris on the airfield.  Nothing sinister here, this happens at airfields all over the world everyday.

Perhaps the best known example of a non-military, FOD-caused mishap was the loss of the Concorde taking off from Paris in 2000.  In that case, a metal piece that had fallen off another a/c on to the runway catastrophically shredded one of the Concorde's tires, resulting in the rupture of a wing fuel tank. Escaping fuel was then ignited by the a/c's engines, resulting in a massive fire and the loss of the Concorde and all aboard, as well as several on the ground. 

Very good point. Also, the obvious point: if the facility (or at least the information being discussed over the radio) was so secret wouldn't they be using encrypted transmissions or at least yse channels not (at least easily, legally) accessible over civilian receivers?

ItsOver

Nice summary.  I was surprised Knapp didn't know about Foreign Object Debris (FOD), especially with his background and experience.  At least he was quick to acknowledge his faux pas once some listeners clued him in.  If it had been Noory, I would have expected him to ignore his ignorance, continue to make a big deal about nothing, and label anybody who attempted to provide clarification as a "hater."

As far as last night's guests, I could have used more of the first hour's and none of "Mr. Blink."  Mr. Blink had me blinking out before his first hour of a bunch of nothing was over.

It was still good to hear a host who was actually interested in the show and not just "mailing it in."

Yeah, I kind of cringed when I heard that, too. I can't tell you how many FOD walkdowns of a flight line I performed as a youngster lol..

Quote from: FightTheFuture on December 01, 2014, 06:20:06 PM

Yeah, I kind of cringed when I heard that, too. I can't tell you how many FOD walkdowns of a flight line I performed as a youngster lol..

Kind of like this?

[attachimg=1]

Danger!UFO

Does anyone know of any George Knapp show collections out there on the web? Next to Art he is the best.

b_dubb

This interview Blink 182 guy is all over the place and a little disappointing.  He referenced the Masaru water 'experiments'.  Those have been shown to be 100% bull.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4433

WOTR

Quote from: ItsOver on December 01, 2014, 06:08:31 PM
Nice summary.  I was surprised Knapp didn't know about Foreign Object Debris (FOD), especially with his background and experience.  At least he was quick to acknowledge his faux pas once some listeners clued him in. 
That was my exact thought when I heard him correct himself.  I could not believe that a Coast host would actually admit fault, credit his listeners with correcting him and do it as quickly as possible.  So, this is what a professional sounds like?

There really is no problem if somebody makes a mistake (no matter how stupid).  If you were to record me for hours at a time I may come across as uninformed and make mistakes as well.  For him to acknowledge it is what set him apart form his peers.

zeebo

Quote from: wotr1 on December 02, 2014, 02:45:32 AM
That was my exact thought when I heard him correct himself.  I could not believe that a Coast host would actually admit fault, credit his listeners with correcting him and do it as quickly as possible.  So, this is what a professional sounds like? ....

Then there's the guy who won't correct the record on some place called Crimeria.

Quote from: b_dubb on December 01, 2014, 08:53:53 PM
This interview Blink 182 guy is all over the place and a little disappointing.  He referenced the Masaru water 'experiments'.  Those have been shown to be 100% bull.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4433

He kept referring to Jacques Vallee in the past tense, which was annoying and should've been corrected. But what I found funnier is his disparagement of an alien crash at Roswell in favor of a crash of some super secret space program from a shadowy government that so far no one's detected, even with millions of amateurs with telescopes out there who would have picked up secret launches.

b_dubb

Blink 182 guy smells money. He's going to the ranks of all the other hucksters errrr I mean paranormal researchers.

cweb

He fits the formula:

Let x= "previous career choice"
"When x isn't working anymore, go paranormal sales."

pate

Noory could totally "something" that meme...

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/csi-4-pane-comics

Just sayin'...

maybe moustache instead of glashes?

pate

I just totally want to bust all ginger balls wif this...

edit: damn gingers..,

DanTSX

Quote from: albrecht on December 01, 2014, 03:46:35 PM
Very good point. Also, the obvious point: if the facility (or at least the information being discussed over the radio) was so secret wouldn't they be using encrypted transmissions or at least yse channels not (at least easily, legally) accessible over civilian receivers?

George is still selling some sizzle.  Let him have some editorial freedom to keep things interesting for the masses.  Anyone with half a brain knows what FOD is.  The other half of the world, well......They can still listen to Carnivora commercials like us too.....This isn't the first time that Knapp has played dumb to hype the show up somewhat.  I don't know why you folks are surprised.  It doesn't detract any from the rest of the monologue or interview because he keeps the rest of it intelligent and of high quality.  No reason to be all autist about it.

As far as Foreign Object Debris, it doesn't exist.  Aliens don't poop.  Thats why they are so interested in our buttholes.  Weiber wasn't wrong when he stated that they are interested in us because we have something they lack.......

pate

So the completely forgettable host last night was Knapp?  Or there is an aching boner begging to be stroked off form anight ago?

edit: someone stroked the grammar there... might've been me?!

wr250

Quote from: pate on December 07, 2014, 10:59:56 AM
So the completely forgettable host last night was Knapp?  Or there is an aching boner begging to be stroked off form anight ago?

edit: someone stroked the grammar there... might've been me?!

forgettable is still better than the snooron. and last nights host was dave shrader (sp?) .
but have no fear, a 6 days nooron fest starts tonight with super suck sunday.

Nebraska888

Quote from: wr250 on December 07, 2014, 11:10:47 AM

forgettable is still better than the snooron. and last nights host was dave shrader (sp?) .
but have no fear, a 6 days nooron fest starts tonight with super suck sunday.

I have no complaints about Schrader.  Yep, the next six nights with Noory?????.......those who complain about Dave Schrader will be begging for him!!!!!    8)

ItsOver

Knapp night!  It sounds promising, with guests from The Vatican Observatory.

wr250

Quote from: ItsOver on December 21, 2014, 05:43:30 PM

anything knapp does will always be 100x better than noorys best.

Finally!!!1 After way too long of a wait, it's once again, the night when all good Knappyheads come together, united in their quest for good radio. It's Knapp Night! 8)

Quote from: FightTheFuture on December 21, 2014, 06:13:49 PM
Finally!!!1 After way too long of a wait, it's once again, the night when all good Knappyheads come together, united in their quest for good radio. It's Knapp Night! 8)

Hopefully Zeebo will come back and join us.

Nebraska888

Quote from: FightTheFuture on December 21, 2014, 06:13:49 PM

I took a nap this afternoon so I am more than ready for a great night of radio with Knapp!  Can't wait!!!   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Nebraska888

Quote from: ItsOver on December 21, 2014, 05:43:30 PM

Yes, this sounds like a very interesting program!   :)