• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Guests' Degrees/Credentials/Accrediations

Started by Uncle Duke, January 28, 2015, 08:15:39 PM

cweb

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 29, 2015, 03:33:09 PM
Seems to be some controversy about it.  He did get 70s era Seal training but it's not proven that he deployed as a Seal (in a Seal unit) in Vietnam as he once claimed. Some say the BUD/S training makes him a Seal.
That's what gets me. With all due respect to Mr. Ventura's service to his country, it feels like there's a bit of unnecessary hyperbole when he reflects on it.

Sure, he's got experience in pro wrestling and being an entertainer- but he sells his ideas as fact rather aggressively and tries to use his former positions to establish credibility when there is little or no evidence.

Delphi

I heard ventura not to long ago on Howard Hughes show and he talked about being in Seal team six before they were famous or being with them.. . Something similar

albrecht

Most times I've research I find the "doctor" degrees are either in some questionable, at best, things like "oriental medicine", "homeopathy", etc. Or from very suspect schools (I assume some are diploma mills or run very loosely.) Or using the term "doctor" but having that PhD in something unrelated to the subject matter (for example, Phd in history, admittedly a valid degree, but commenting on a cancer cure.) Some guests have legit degrees that you can check (I haven't contacted the universities but at least online in places say the degrees and they seem to be knowledgeable.) They- usually- are the more legit guests with more normal subjects. Physics, biology, journalism, etc. But even there you get the guy with the JD but is into psychic newage stuff (the psychic lawyer comes to mind.) For what its worth some guests, like Alex, admit no degree and so will use the term "researcher" to describe themselves (and indeed some admit this proudly and brag on it- like Hogue.)

And just because you have advanced degrees doesn't mean you can't be batshit crazy or at least very eccentric.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on January 30, 2015, 10:39:17 AM
Most times I've research I find the "doctr" degrees are either in some questionable, at best, things like "oriental medicine", "homeopathy", etc. Or from very suspect schools (I assume some are diploma mills or run very loosely.) Or using the term "doctor" but having that PhD in something unrelated to the subject matter (for example, Phd in history, admittedly a valid degree, but commenting on a cancer cure.) Some guests have legit degrees that you can check (I haven't contacted the universities but at least online in places say the degrees and they seem to be knowledgeable.) They- usually- are the more legit guests with more normal subjects. Physics, biology, journalism, etc. But even there you get the guy with the JD but is into psychic newage stuff (the psychic lawyer comes to mind.) For what its worth some guests, like Alex, admit no degree and so will use the term "researcher" to describe themselves (and indeed some admit this proudly and brag on it- like Hogue.)

And just because you have advanced degrees doesn't mean you can't be batshit crazy or at least very eccentric.

Sure, but I have no problem with someone adding an alphabet soup of degrees and honors after their name and/or using professional titles regardless of the situation as long as the degrees/honors/titles are legitimate and were duly earned.  For example years ago I worked with a PhD engineer, one of pioneers in the field of computational fluid mechanics, who was also a world class plastic model builder.  No connection really between his career and his hobby, but when he entered competitions with "Dr" in front of his name, I doubt anyone thought he was able to build a better  57 Thunderbird model because he had a doctorate.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 30, 2015, 12:21:53 PM
Sure, but I have no problem with someone adding an alphabet soup of degrees and honors after their name and/or using professional titles regardless of the situation as long as the degrees/honors/titles are legitimate and were duly earned.  For example years ago I worked with a PhD engineer, one of pioneers in the field of computational fluid mechanics, who was also a world class plastic model builder.  No connection really between his career and his hobby, but when he entered competitions with "Dr" in front of his name, I doubt anyone thought he was able to build a better  57 Thunderbird model because he had a doctorate.
I DO have a problem with it when they are lecturing, or as guests, on a subject not related to their degree. Only because most, or at least many, people when they hear "doctor" assume an M.D. (not PhD, JD) especially if they are talking about some medical issue or cancer "cure." So they might give more weight to their wacky opinion or theory. Having said that, this is not to say that non-credentialed or untrained people haven't developed ground-breaking ideas, products, etc.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: albrecht on January 30, 2015, 12:34:22 PM
I DO have a problem with it when they are lecturing, or as guests, on a subject not related to their degree. Only because most, or at least many, people when they hear "doctor" assume an M.D. (not PhD, JD) especially if they are talking about some medical issue or cancer "cure." So they might give more weight to their wacky opinion or theory. Having said that, this is not to say that non-credentialed or untrained people haven't developed ground-breaking ideas, products, etc.

No argument, anyone who would use even a legitimate degree to knowingly deceive someone in a desperate situation should be debagged with a dull, rusty pen knife.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 30, 2015, 12:53:33 PM
No argument, anyone who would use even a legitimate degree to knowingly deceive someone in a desperate situation should be debagged with a dull, rusty pen knife.

If that were to happen, every night on C2C would just be open lines and George retelling his three life experiences over and over.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on January 29, 2015, 11:46:10 AM
from c2cam website
"Dr. Carmen Boulter is a Professor at the University of Calgary in Canada. She teaches in the Graduate Division of Educational Research in the Faculty of Education"

she made a documentary called "the Pyramid code"

her phD is in education, focusing on english as a second language, oh yeah and she's been to Egypt a bunch of times

Conversely, I recall how Mary Lefkowitz, author of "Not Out of Africa," and has a PhD in Classical Philology, was chided by critics for never having visited Africa.

pate

I am a 98.6 degree high-school dropout and I challenge any unbeliever infidel to shake my hand.

Yup-yip-yup...

{pic=inlinehowlinmoon}

wr250

Quote from: pate on February 27, 2015, 07:54:21 AM
I am a 98.6 19.5 degree high-school dropout and I challenge any unbeliever infidel to shake my hand.

Yup-yip-yup...

{pic=inlinehowlinmoon}
fixed

/*edit*/
also ventura/noory 2016!

Juan Cena

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 30, 2015, 12:53:33 PM

I'm sure the victims of William H Cosby, PhD would be all for that one.