• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Which should I get for my future Xbox One?

Started by Delphi, January 22, 2015, 08:27:17 PM

Delphi

OK so far I'm between Plasma and 4k..  Im leaning toward plasma because of the high refresh rate and nice cord.. The only experience I have with 4k tvs involves standing in front of them with my wife bitching at me at Best Buy..

BTW I'M WANTING TO KEEP IT IN THE 40' RANGE..  No smaller than 40 but could budge a few inches up if need be

zeebo

I haven't progressed out of the cathode ray tube era.  My suggestion, though, is that the lady is always right.

Delphi

Haha I know man thats no joke... Thats why I'm having to pay the extra and get the kinect with it.. so she can work out lol

zeebo

May I suggest a nice monochrome GameBoy, circa 1990?  Clear pixels and great battery life.

cweb

I hear Lite-Brite has some pretty rockin' color reproduction.  ;D

Anyhoo, I absolutely love plasmas but they're starting to manufacture them less. I have a Panasonic 42" that's 6 years old and it still looks great, though the burn-in has noticably increased. It seems like Panasonic plasmas get the best reviews.

I recently bought a Samsung 5-series 46" LED that's pretty good. Some high-motion issues, but the image quality reflects how much better LED TVs have become.

I'm not one for jumping to 4k just yet. There's not a ton of content out for it. Xbone support for 4k isn't tried and true. Keep in mind that to receive 4k streaming content, you'll need a pretty darn fast internet connection. I've read some estimates in the 25Mbps and up range.

One thing that may help out with this is the progression of h.265 and its generational colleagues. As with any distribution codec, it could take some time before hardware/software pick a winner and catch up.

Gd5150

Agreed with the above, 4k is 5 years off. There is no source for the material yet and it wont be readily available for at least 5 years. Plus in order for 4k to be needed, you need a big screen, over 60", probably more like 80". Go with a bigger plasma. At Todays prices 50-60"ers are a steal.

Delphi

OK so Plasma it is.. Can't wait,  I'm gonna see if Newegg has any good deals.

ANOTHER quick question. . Do you guys really think the brand of HDMI cord matters?  I'm finding some that are almost a grand. . For just a cord?

cweb

Generally, no...

Build quality won't effect the "average" HDMI experience, aside from the obvious. If your HDMI cable is gonna get moved around and beat up (which it shouldn't under normal conditions) you may want to get a more sturdily built cable. So unless you're tying up cattle with it, that Monster cable isn't worth it.

I buy cheapo HDMI cables from Newegg or Monoprice all the time. No difference for normal usage.

When/if the 4k transition happens, current high-speed spec HDMI will still be able to transmit most of the signals anyway.

Delphi

OK so I shouldn't even bother with this?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-diamond-3-3-high-speed-hdmi-cable-dark-gray-black/2383276.p?id=1218324437192

It seems crazy to pay that much for a cable..  But people buy these. .. Why?

And thanks for your help I appreciate you

cweb

Heh, people buy $1000 cables because they think that their eyes or ears work better than everyone else's. Or they're so paranoid about the 1's and 0's getting through the pipeline that they need that $1000 security blanket.

The fact of the matter is that with digital technology, it's all or nothing. The signal gets through or it doesn't. A blocky, artifact-heavy signal cutting out counts as "nothing."

zeebo

Quote from: cweb on January 27, 2015, 11:23:52 AM
Heh, people buy $1000 cables because they think that their eyes or ears work better than everyone else's. Or they're so paranoid about the 1's and 0's getting through the pipeline that they need that $1000 security blanket.

The fact of the matter is that with digital technology, it's all or nothing. The signal gets through or it doesn't. A blocky, artifact-heavy signal cutting out counts as "nothing."

This is what I've heard as well.  For all my hdmi cables/adapters I just got whatever generic cheapies they had on Amazon and they've always been fine.

Delphi

Quote from: zeebo on January 28, 2015, 08:14:18 PM
This is what I've heard as well.  For all my hdmi cables/adapters I just got whatever generic cheapies they had on Amazon and they've always been fine.
OK good to hear man I was questioning that