• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Why are so many people going to Syria?

Started by Delphi, January 19, 2015, 06:48:31 PM

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Delphi on January 25, 2015, 07:55:23 PM
Anyone notice how the guy that is cutting the throats is a white englishman
No, he's probably an Arab or maybe Pak educated or maybe raised in the UK. His accent is British but with clear ME overtones.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Delphi on January 25, 2015, 07:55:23 PM
Anyone notice how the guy that is cutting the throats is a white englishman

I wouldn't know; I don't get off looking at videos like that. It just fuels the publicity oxygen they crave. If they were given a few seconds reporting instead of blanket coverage they'd lose that oxygen.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Gd5150 on January 26, 2015, 04:31:28 AM
How can UCLA even try that. Separation of church and state. UCLA is a state university.
It was a one time thing at UCLA, a feature at a conference of Muslims. The surprising one is Duke, basically a Methodist institution. It's profoundly stupid for American Christian institutions to extend their ecumenicalism to Islam. Activist Muslims, funded by Saudi cash, will turn it against them. The Adhan isn't a "call" at all, it's a brazen proclamation of "Allah" and Islam.  As long as churches use amplified electronic "bells", I doubt there's any way to stop activist imams from winning in American courts and eventually blasting it across America five times a day. Ugh!!

WildCard

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 25, 2015, 09:26:04 PM
It's meant to demonstrate they have reach into the West, and suggest we aren't safe here

They aren't beheading Westerners for fun, it's meant to terrorize.  To soften us up so we cave to their demands more easily down the road. 

And it's working - look how the Libs bend over backward for these people.

There are exceptions. FtF referenced it. Dawkins and Maher. See Bill Maher vs. Howard Dean.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 25, 2015, 09:26:04 PM
Just 2 very recent examples:  Duke University and UCLA have announced they are going to play the 5 times a day call to prayer on campus.  Duke backed off that when the people who write the checks to support them said 'hell no', and UCLA is only going to do it on Fridays.  But next time some Lib is all emotional about an issue and insisting on 'separation of church and state', we'll know its BS and really just more anti-Judeo/Christian garbage

I have the same bias. And it puzzles me that atheists, agnostics and pagans can bash Christianity 99 different ways but not have a word to say about Islam.

albrecht

Quote from: WildCard on January 26, 2015, 11:38:12 AM

I have the same bias. And it puzzles me that atheists, agnostics and pagans can bash Christianity 99 different ways but not have a word to say about Islam.
Some is just the typical motivation inculcated into some people from the Marxist-Leninist thinkers (religion patriarchy helping maintain Western culture and capitalism), some is just rebelling against their parents, but I think these says the main reason Hollywood, atheists, politicians, agnostics, and pagans bash Christianity (and to an extent Judaism) is because Christians won't behead, or otherwise punish, them. So it is easy to "look cool" or "edgy" by bashing things like Christianity, the nuclear family, marriage, etc.

WildCard

Quote from: albrecht on January 26, 2015, 12:00:49 PM
Some is just the typical motivation inculcated into some people from the Marxist-Leninist thinkers (religion patriarchy helping maintain Western culture and capitalism), some is just rebelling against their parents, but I think these says the main reason Hollywood, atheists, politicians, agnostics, and pagans bash Christianity (and to an extent Judaism) is because Christians won't behead, or otherwise punish, them. So it is easy to "look cool" or "edgy" by bashing things like Christianity, the nuclear family, marriage, etc.

Cowardice? You don't think it's just ignorance? Even if you are a Muslim, they'll cut your throat.

All the really cool kids have have a bounty/fatwa on them. 

Here are links to the events at UCLA and at Duke.  Somehow the main stream media didn't appear to cover them at all, except for the Washington Times, which is reporting a UCLA official is claiming this was a one-time event (as VG said above).

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/23/ucla-defends-muslim-call-prayer-one-time-event/

The following links are to outlets that came up on a google search.  I don't know a thing about them otherwise, hopefully neither has articles about the earth being 6000 years old or man walking with dinosaurs...

Duke:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/23/muslim-call-to-prayer-duke-university-highlights-divisions-solidarity

UCLA (here they claim it was more than a one-time event):

http://christiannews.net/2015/01/18/ucla-broadcasting-muslim-call-to-prayer-declaring-allah-is-great-on-campus/

I'm not really all that much against people doing their thing, whatever it may be - except that we can see the trends with Islam immigrating into the West.  So far the US is a little behind in numbers, but we can see what's happening in several countries in Europe - the non-assimilation, the demands, the violence.  Any inch given is seen as weakness, not as accommodation based on good will, and only invites more demands.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: WildCard on January 26, 2015, 11:38:12 AM
And it puzzles me that atheists, agnostics and pagans can bash Christianity 99 different ways but not have a word to say about Islam.
That's nonsense from the media righties like Bill O'Reilly who will quote some obscure atheist academic whom no one listens to, and hold them up as their proof.  Where are these Islam-defending atheists in the public arena?  Can you name any that have any media presence?  What of the very visible and vocal atheists?  Has Bill Maher gone born-again? The late Christopher Hitchens? Do you think the Charlie Hebdo people who perpetually mocked Islam, Christianity and Judaism alike were believers?  Look around the real world; atheists, especially well-known ones, are among the most vocal antagonists of Islam. 

albrecht

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 26, 2015, 01:07:33 PM
That's nonsense from the media righties like Bill O'Reilly who will quote some obscure atheist academic whom no one listens to, and hold them up as their proof.  Where are these Islam-defending atheists in the public arena?  Can you name any that have any media presence?  What of the very visible and vocal atheists?  Has Bill Maher gone born-again? The late Christopher Hitchens? Do you think the Charlie Hebdo people who perpetually mocked Islam, Christianity and Judaism alike were believers?  Look around the real world; atheists, especially well-known ones, are among the most vocal antagonists of Islam.
Politicians, from Bush to Obama, frequently make statements about how good Islam is. Obama even claims that the odious call-to-prayer is the "sweetest sound ever." Now even have our National Cathedral hosting Muslim services- with full on Islamic gender separation even. When is the last time you seen Jews, Christians, or others allowed to hold services in a mosque? There is the National Islamic Center on Mass Ave not very far away but I have yet to ever hear of them allowing Christian or Jewish services there. Even after another Islamic bombing or shooting the first thing the politicians do is make statements about how peaceful Muslims on and call for more inclusion and "dialog" and then continue the hand-wringing over what our society has done to upset these precious Muslims. And we can't even list holidays on school calenders lest we offend those precious Muslim sensibilities.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/11/national-cathedral-muslim-prayer_n_6136222.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/christmas-stricken-from-school-calendar-after-muslims-ask-for-equal-treatment/2014/11/11/f1b789a6-6931-11e4-a31c-77759fc1eacc_story.html

VtaGeezer

Quote from: albrecht on January 26, 2015, 01:50:39 PM
Politicians, from Bush to Obama, frequently make statements about how good Islam is. Obama even claims that the odious call-to-prayer is the "sweetest sound ever." Now even have our National Cathedral hosting Muslim services- with full on Islamic gender separation even. When is the last time you seen Jews, Christians, or others allowed to hold services in a mosque? There is the National Islamic Center on Mass Ave not very far away but I have yet to ever hear of them allowing Christian or Jewish services there. Even after another Islamic bombing or shooting the first thing the politicians do is make statements about how peaceful Muslims on and call for more inclusion and "dialog" and then continue the hand-wringing over what our society has done to upset these precious Muslims. And we can't even list holidays on school calenders lest we offend those precious Muslim sensibilities.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/11/national-cathedral-muslim-prayer_n_6136222.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/christmas-stricken-from-school-calendar-after-muslims-ask-for-equal-treatment/2014/11/11/f1b789a6-6931-11e4-a31c-77759fc1eacc_story.html
So what in the world does your "Obama, the Muslim antiChrist Commie" non-sequitur for the day have to do with my comment? 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 26, 2015, 02:11:51 PM
So what in the world does your "Obama, the Muslim antiChrist Commie" non-sequitur for the day have to do with my comment?

Hey; you know the answer to that.

It doesn't.

Delphi

I don't see how anyone can get off on videos like that.. 

I like the links about the schools thanks

Quote from: albrecht on January 26, 2015, 01:50:39 PM
..Now even have our National Cathedral hosting Muslim services- with full on Islamic gender separation even. When is the last time you seen Jews, Christians, or others allowed to hold services in a mosque? There is the National Islamic Center on Mass Ave not very far away but I have yet to ever hear of them allowing Christian or Jewish services there...

You're saying we should pattern our ways after the Muslims?

I'm being a little sarcastic, but calling for equality, inclusion, equal rights, respect for people of all faiths and persuasions is not putting Muslems ahead of Christians.  It is setting all law abiding peoples equal and putting what we all used to agree were proper Western values above all -- the values I mentioned of equality and inclusion.  Saying we should respect other individuals in no way diminishes you as someone who was presumably raised in Christian culture.

We have to realize that being born into a particular religion does not make you inherently evil.  The religion you subscribe to is very much about where you were born.  Not many middle American Christian families will raise their children Muslem, or Sikh, or Buddhist.  And not many Middle Eastern couples will raise their children as Christian.  Therefore religion and 'race' are very tightly tied, and therefore as Westerners who value individual rights, we must ensure we extend equal respect to all individuals regardless of cultural background so long as they haven't broken any laws or subscribed to any malicious or terrorist groups.  That's all Obama or anyone else is trying to say.

albrecht

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on January 26, 2015, 05:33:26 PM
You're saying we should pattern our ways after the Muslims?

I'm being a little sarcastic, but calling for equality, inclusion, equal rights, respect for people of all faiths and persuasions is not putting Muslems ahead of Christians.  It is setting all law abiding peoples equal and putting what we all used to agree were proper Western values above all -- the values I mentioned of equality and inclusion.  Saying we should respect other individuals in no way diminishes you as someone who was presumably raised in Christian culture.

We have to realize that being born into a particular religion does not make you inherently evil.  The religion you subscribe to is very much about where you were born.  Not many middle American Christian families will raise their children Muslem, or Sikh, or Buddhist.  And not many Middle Eastern couples will raise their children as Christian.  Therefore religion and 'race' are very tightly tied, and therefore as Westerners who value individual rights, we must ensure we extend equal respect to all individuals regardless of cultural background so long as they haven't broken any laws or subscribed to any malicious or terrorist groups.  That's all Obama or anyone else is trying to say.
If the Muslims want to live in our countries and, as often they do, get public services or housing then they should abide by our laws and adopt our culture. Leaving the threats of outright terrorists moving for the express purpose of terrorism for a moment, even honest immigrants or refugees need to change their ways. As far as I'm concerned they can do what they wish in their countries (though I don't like beheadings whether done by rebels or as a form of justice by the Saudis. And think treating women like crap is a bad thing. But that is their deal and, after all, in the spirit of political correctness and cultural relativity who am I to say, right?) But when they come here, as asylum seekers or just as immigrants, is it up to them to adapt. We shouldn't change our society, culture, or discourse to abide them. You don't like Western civilization and freedom than go home? Don't want to learn our language? Don't come here. Want to bring your backward ways towards women? Leave, we have enough problems of our own making and don't need to import more criminality or backwards thinking. One the problems we have now is a result of honest immigrants who never adapted and now whose children are now "self-radicalizing" and becoming radical (or just criminal in general) and politicians who coddle them and encourages immigration for immigration's sake itself without regard to the native population or what type of immigrant.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on January 26, 2015, 05:33:26 PM
... I'm being a little sarcastic, but calling for equality, inclusion, equal rights, respect for people of all faiths and persuasions is not putting Muslems ahead of Christians.  It is setting all law abiding peoples equal and putting what we all used to agree were proper Western values above all -- the values I mentioned of equality and inclusion.  Saying we should respect other individuals in no way diminishes you as someone who was presumably raised in Christian culture...

Here's the problem:  Muslim taxi drivers at airports refuse to pick people up who are carrying bottles of alcohol they purchased, or to pick people up who have seeing eye and other service dogs - or any dogs.  The women refuse to remove their head covers for drivers license photos, one is suing the Dearborn PD because she had to remove her hijab when she got tossed in jail - I guess it's ok to be a criminal, as long as her hair is covered.  Muslims demand footbaths and halal foods at schools and other places.  There have been Muslim clerks running cash registers who refuse to ring up customers buying pork or alcohol.  And about a zillion other things.  They move here and we are supposed to accommodate all this and more.  Much more.

We have news outlets, politicians, government officials, etc, who refuse to use the term 'terrorism', and try to report on whichever most recent bombing or incident without telling us the perps were Moslem.

On and on.  The demands and capitulations roll in on all fronts.  (Alleged) terrorist front group CAIR, among others, is the Al Sharpton of this - funding it, making speeches, visiting the White House, making demands, filing lawsuits. 

We.  Don't.  Want.  This.  Any of it.

We don't want the culture of places like Somalia brought here.  Whichever Muslims won't assimilate, and insist on continuing the creeping Sharia, as far as I'm concerned those Muslims are no longer welcome and should return to a culture more to their liking.  Period.  And their sycophants and apologists ought to go with them.

Making threats and blowing shit up is to soften the targeted society, and make it more willing to appease.  That will soon be more common here, as it is becoming in Europe.  We're doing this to ourselves

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 26, 2015, 10:39:15 PM
We.  Don't.  Want.  This.  Any of it.

We don't want the culture of places like Somalia brought here.
Sounds like they should hire Muslims as deputies in the dry counties in Kansas.  This is a country of a third of a billion but your panties are in a bunch over a handful of isolated "OOOooo-the-MUSLIMS-are coming" scare anecdotes from the likes of Fox News. Just as Murdock planned.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 26, 2015, 10:39:15 PM

The women refuse to remove their head covers for drivers license photos

So do Pastafarian women.  It's called Freedom of Religion and it's guaranteed by The Constitution.  Even in Oklahoma.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 26, 2015, 11:33:26 PM
Sounds like they should hire Muslims as deputies in the dry counties in Kansas.  This is a country of a third of a billion but your panties are in a bunch over a handful of isolated "OOOooo-the-MUSLIMS-are coming" scare anecdotes from the likes of Fox News. Just as Murdock planned.

So what's happening in Europe isn't, and none of it is here? 

This is the same kind of ignorance and arrogance that's getting people killed in other civilized parts of the world that have embraced these people

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 26, 2015, 11:57:10 PM

So do Pastafarian women.  It's called Freedom of Religion and it's guaranteed by The Constitution.  Even in Oklahoma.

I misspoke.  Head covering is one thing, face covering quite another. 

Police need to be able to identify people they pull over.  And there are plenty of other times a photo ID is necessary.  If they don't want to have their picture taken for a drivers license, easy peasy - don't drive.  Don't try to get on an airplane.  Don't use a credit card where stores ask to also see a photo ID.  Don't try to go into an office building that requires a photo ID.  And so on.  Better yet, go home.

This is crap, and it shouldn't be catered to

Kelt

Quote from: albrecht on January 26, 2015, 05:50:54 PM
If the Muslims want to live in our countries and, as often they do, get public services or housing then they should abide by our laws and adopt our culture. Leaving the threats of outright terrorists moving for the express purpose of terrorism for a moment, even honest immigrants or refugees need to change their ways. As far as I'm concerned they can do what they wish in their countries (though I don't like beheadings whether done by rebels or as a form of justice by the Saudis. And think treating women like crap is a bad thing. But that is their deal and, after all, in the spirit of political correctness and cultural relativity who am I to say, right?) But when they come here, as asylum seekers or just as immigrants, is it up to them to adapt. We shouldn't change our society, culture, or discourse to abide them. You don't like Western civilization and freedom than go home? Don't want to learn our language? Don't come here. Want to bring your backward ways towards women? Leave, we have enough problems of our own making and don't need to import more criminality or backwards thinking. One the problems we have now is a result of honest immigrants who never adapted and now whose children are now "self-radicalizing" and becoming radical (or just criminal in general) and politicians who coddle them and encourages immigration for immigration's sake itself without regard to the native population or what type of immigrant.

Why is it up to them to adapt?

I don't see Americans living in wigwams and hunting buffalo, nor do I see Australians walking around the outback in small tribal groups, subsisting on grubs and kangaroo meat.

If you want to talk religion, why is Catholicism more prevalent than Animism in North America...

The answer is that waves of immigrants bring their own cultures with them.

Like it or not, Middle Eastern immigrants will bring their own culture with them, and integration will be slow and ultimately incomplete. They're NOT going to give up their religion, culture, and way of life, in exactly the same way the Irish, Germans, and Poles brought their own culture with them and transplanted it onto North America.