• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

whats the most valuable thing you ever pulled out of the trash?

Started by gnooryblows, December 22, 2014, 12:30:10 AM

gnooryblows

for me it was probably and old Brunswick snurfboard from the 60s, in good shape, probably the first snowboard ever invented. worth about $150 on eBay.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snurfer
also a good lathe I sold for $150, and a good ping pong table.
ive pulled beautiful furniture out of the trash too and sold it for mucho dinero. sometimes its been expensive antique furniture, too. lots of money to be made just picking trash and selling it, and scrapping. what a wasteful society.
theres actually a nice pool table out on the corner down the street, but I think my garage is full right now, so I don't feel like getting it. its not slate or anything, just a Sears knockoff type of deal, but still in nice shape.

Catsmile

You know there is room to hoard it away, you're just being lazy. :P

gnooryblows

normally youd be right for most people, but if you saw my garage........
its fuckin tetris in there bro

Catsmile

Any hoarder worth their used hamburger wrapper collection knows there is always room for moar.

gnooryblows

im not a hoarder! lol. I hate holding on to old shit! I have a bunch of old furniture in my garage that is TETRISED in there big-time that I pulled out of the trash just to sell. its strictly business. I haven't sold any of it because I got some other money right now. but man, im tellin you, there is no room! I wish I was not so lazy, I would go take a picture of it dude, it is packkkkkkked.

on the other hand, I suppose it could be put in the basement.

gnooryblows

bumping once for someone to answer.
nobody really pulls stuff out of the trash? i am the only one?
theres amazing stuff in there, its treasure

Gd5150

I've thrown some really valuable stuff in the trash just because I didnt feel like packing it around anymore. Pre ebay days of course. A pioneer 9-band car EQ that was worth 100s. My Amiga computer that in 1999 didn't have much value and was huge, but now with the following Im sure would be worth 100s. My atari 5200, trackball and games. Bummer.

The one thing I'm holding onto that I hope will have value someday is about 100 laserdiscs. I figure in a decade no one will have a clue what they are. Plus the package art is great. Frame worthy. They look like CDs the size of records.

I'm always amazed at the cool stuff on the free section of Craiglist. If I had room Id have a few dozen pool tables, ping pong tables, and at least a dozen hot tubs.  8)

gnooryblows

Quote from: Gd5150 on December 24, 2014, 11:19:53 PM
I've thrown some really valuable stuff in the trash just because I didnt feel like packing it around anymore. Pre ebay days of course. A pioneer 9-band car EQ that was worth 100s. My Amiga computer that in 1999 didn't have much value and was huge, but now with the following Im sure would be worth 100s. My atari 5200, trackball and games. Bummer.

The one thing I'm holding onto that I hope will have value someday is about 100 laserdiscs. I figure in a decade no one will have a clue what they are. Plus the package art is great. Frame worthy. They look like CDs the size of records.

I'm always amazed at the cool stuff on the free section of Craiglist. If I had room Id have a few dozen pool tables, ping pong tables, and at least a dozen hot tubs.  8)

ive gotten some cool stuff off of the free section of craigslist too. a box full of commodore 64s, i mean like 10 of them with all sorts of other stuff for them. foosball tables and fun stuff like that.
damn it would be cool to find an atari in the trash.

The General

I was a part time garbage man in Idaho for a while in the 90's. 
I found the most amaaaazing things.  Too many to list.
One is a great wallet that I still use to this day.

sydtron

When I was a kid. Early 90's. I found a nice old console stereo unit.
Worked great! Even had 8-track! 
So we used this in our garage for a number of years untill it quit working.

Heilsa,All!
I yust want to point out,all these anecdotes are hard to validate,so i'm takeing your word for it all.
I'm 'fessing up,but,"trash"in my case includes some kinds of grey area things.
Best example,waaay back in the '60's of the last century,an close friend who was my landlord let me live in an detached garage on the edge of his property.
One day when i was gone,an electrical short set fire to an small shed that was formerly an potting shed for the ancestor of his paterfamlias.
The fire crew broke in-to the shed and hauled an old steamer trunk of records out that had burned partly away on one corner.
Water and foam had been liberally applied to the record alblums.
Mr.'Helland' was throwing some away with little damage.
I sifted through the pile with a flashlight in my teeth,and found two un-damage ones in the heap that were perfect.
#1)Original race record,'78.signed sleeve,R&B single by "Lil' Willie John".
"FEVER",wax,one side,At that time,locally(Seattle,Wa.)worth about 600.00 in any playable condition,even without autographs on label,sleeve.
2)James Dean Jam w/Bongo's,Vocals,Mass-produced .45 W/photo sleeve.
Live at infamous L.A.after-hours mob-run club.
In fake stereo,muddy sound,bootlegged weeks after his tragic demise.
Obscure pressing,mebbe counterfeit label,churned out surrepticiously,no masters# on run-out groove.
Like new,only played twice copied to tapes.
That date,('60's)I found,worth about 400.00 in good condition.
Any-one top this?
PS:"More to come...)
"BB"

yumyumtree

Handmade afghan springs to mind, not so valuable now that cats have abused it.