• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Quickening , nothing more than millinum madness?

Started by henge0stone, December 18, 2014, 06:26:20 PM

henge0stone

What do you guys think about the Quickening? As a topic I never really believed it. I mean the definition is very vague. The book was ok, not as doomsaying as I thought it would be but reading it years later might lessen the effect. The UFO section was good and the Earth Changes was the only part where I was actually convinced that there was big change aside from the normal increase in technology and normal changes. The book was much better than when he brings up the Quickening, still not great though.

I love Art but honestly as a student of history the idea that things are getting worse is just plain wrong. I mean take the Dark ages for example. There was viking who was called the child lover because he didn't kill babies like the rest of them. This is just one small example. If modern day news was around in the ancient times (where they fed people to lions and watched) he would come up with the same conclusion.

I am glad the quickening doesn't have anything about Y2K. I wasn't going to listen to the Y2K show since it was all BS but I was at work and was slightly intrigued. Someone should really slap Gray North because he was 100 % wrong and he was arrogant to everyone who said he was just being paranoid. Did he ever come on after 2000? I somehow doubt it.

DanTSX

It's just Art selling books.

It's the same thing as Noory's halfassed "no shuch thing as coinchshudinchecns"

WhiteCrow

Quickening = another retelling of Chicken Littles the Sky is Falling = always suckers around that'll pay money to hear a good story about end times. I don't know for sure if Art is huckster or believes that crap. But I'd bet he's a huckster considering who is co author and dear friends are. Birds of feather flock together to fleece the sheep.

Like wow man, this Gobal Warming crap, gots some very long legs = lots of pigs sucking on that tit.
Since around 1900 when reliable tempratures world wide have been recorded, compare the temps and average rain fall in the USA for 1920s and 30s to 1990s and 2010s same patterns.
Compare average yearly temps in hottest place on earth Death Valley CA and one of coldest, North Pole, same yearly average temps.

Okay.

NOAA's data for 1) average July; and 2) average annual temperatures in California's Southeast Desert Basin region (including Death Valley) between 1895 and 2014.

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

cweb

Too bad Art wasn't broadcasting around 2012. He could've made oodles of cash for the poultry industry, promoting "The Chickening."

albrecht

I'm sure Art and Whitley did ok on the book "The Coming Superstorm" (and especially the movie) but I'm still a little chagrined that folks like Al Gore Jr and various bureaucrats made far more money with their re-telling of "The Quickening" when they renamed it global warming global climate change climate disruption.

henge0stone

wow for being the Art Bell fan forum you guys are really hard on the poor guy. The book was actually more like a snapshot of the world in 97 than predictions for what was to come. Yeah there were some predictions but nothing too crazy.

I firmly believe Art did think something was going on. I mean he came up with the term long before writing the book.

paladin1991

Quote from: henge0stone on December 22, 2014, 02:53:07 PM
wow for being the Art Bell fan forum you guys are really hard on the poor guy.
Don't be such a pussy.  We're talking about ART FUCKING BELL here.  He's a tough old bird.  To my mind, ART is the Honey Badger of the airwaves.  He just don't give a shit.  You look at him sideways, he'll quit on your ass.  No shit, No Sir. 

Daggit

I always thought that the Quickening was just a BS catchphrase that Art liked to spruik as a catchall for anything going on in society. It could be applied to anything but meant nothing.

WildCard

Quote from: Daggit on December 24, 2014, 05:37:43 AM
It could be applied to anything but meant nothing.
Y2K
Mayan Calender, 2012
Contact
Apocalypse, rapture, the second coming
New World Order, singularity
Even ghosts - the veil is getting thiner

Yeah, "seems like time is speeding up", is b.s. That happens when you get old. If you're 30, a year is a 1/30 of your life. When you were 2 a year was 1/2 your life.

And, if there was a 'transcendental object', I missed it.

But, for thousands of years most people never traveled further they they could walk.
"Something's going on."
-GNS
[attachimg=1]

Daggit

Quote from: WildCard on December 24, 2014, 11:31:00 AM
Y2K
Mayan Calender, 2012
Contact
Apocalypse, rapture, the second coming
New World Order, singularity
Even ghosts - the veil is getting thiner

Yeah, "seems like time is speeding up", is b.s. That happens when you get old. If you're 30, a year is a 1/30 of your life. When you were 2 a year was 1/2 your life.

And, if there was a 'transcendental object', I missed it.

But, for thousands of years most people never traveled further they they could walk.
"Something's going on."
-GNS
[attachimg=1]

Exactly. I'm not sure whether Art thought he was truly on to something or he was just shilling to sell his book.

henge0stone

I wonder what Art thinks of the Quickening now that nothing has happened? Also he made a bet with someone (Raymond Moody maybe? I can't remember who) of 1000 dollars that an earthquake above 7 would take place in California before 2012. Does anyone remember this? I doubt he paid up though. All Art heard all day from this doomsaying friends like Scallion and Dames was OMG Earthquakes! but I don't recall any major one in California at least not for a while. 

DanTSX

Quote from: henge0stone on February 10, 2015, 08:53:37 AM
I wonder what Art thinks of the Quickening now that nothing has happened? Also he made a bet with someone (Raymond Moody maybe? I can't remember who) of 1000 dollars that an earthquake above 7 would take place in California before 2012. Does anyone remember this? I doubt he paid up though. All Art heard all day from this doomsaying friends like Scallion and Dames was OMG Earthquakes! but I don't recall any major one in California at least not for a while.

He probably doesn't care.

I sure as hell don't.

Art is an entertainer.  He wasn't discovering anything.

henge0stone

Here's my review now that I finished it

THE GOOD
Its not really a bad book, in fact some of it is downright interesting. The chapter on religion & spirituality had a good chunk about UFOs and the Paranormal, topics Art is known for covering. Earth Changes and Government were interesting as well. Art's views on the one world government, how it would work and be funded, the ineffectiveness of the UN were all covered and a good read. If you think of the book as just a brief study of the world in 1997 its not that bad.

THE BAD
Art's thesis is the main problem. As far as unequivocally documenting a 'quickening' (as Art claimed the book does many times on his show) the book fails miserably to do this. There simply isn't enough research to claim that anything is quickening and the very broad term itself doesn't even make his thesis clear. Certainly technology is progressing faster than ever before but as far as everything else is concerned its really impossible to say that its 'quickening' certainly things are changing but things have been changing since history began. His chapter on society is really without basis. You can't tell me that we are becoming more degenerate than in the past when people were stoned in the streets, fed to lions, watched public executions and regularity plundered and raped and murdered (dark ages anyone?) He basically ignores humanities violent past to make a point here.

Overall, its an okay read. Not nearly as good as the show. The topics for the most part are kind of same old same old in any other geo-political book and for someone who is as interesting as Art this makes it kind of a let down. I will say this though for its credit it is NOT a doomsaying book. It may be a little pessimistic at times but it is a long way from doomsaying. If you really like Art pick it up, give it a read (its cheap now), the UFO and Paranormal part was easily the most interesting section in an otherwise okay study of 1997.

Can't believe we still debate this. The quickening is real. Dave is still on the air and aliens no longer want a piece of Whitley's old gooch. All the proof ya need.

albrecht

Quote from: Lord Grantham on May 11, 2015, 05:23:17 PM
http://www.csicop.org/sb/show/art_bells_quickening_is_sickening/

BTFO
T
F
O
Au contraire, mon frère:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0497116/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
and this just in!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2015/05/11/troubling-new-study-suggests-global-warming-will-reduce-wheat-yields/
(Lucky, however, we are also told by the Hollywood elite and media with all the diet fads that gluten is bad for us- so the quickening won't be that big a deal! And, hint to WP, haven't you got the memo. It is no longer called a Quickening, Global Warming, Climate Change, but "Climate Disruption!" Get with the program!)

I feel the same about The Quickening as I do about Howard Stern's Private Parts. An interesting story that led to a film that were both part of megastar's of 90s radio franchises. A lot of Howard's story and film was crap. A lot of Art's story and film is crap. C'est La Vie.