• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The world's governments are pushing to halt climate change...

Started by Yorkshire pud, December 14, 2014, 08:13:08 AM

Yorkshire pud

Oh, hang on, no they're not. So the myth that the nasty leftists, Marxist, Alankysiststss, thingies are steamrollering legislation through is pretty much still a  myth.

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30468048

United Nations members have reached an agreement on how countries should tackle climate change.
Delegates have approved a framework for setting national pledges to be submitted to a summit next year

Differences over the draft text caused the talks in Lima, Peru, to overrun by two days.

Environmental groups have criticised the deal as a weak and ineffectual compromise, saying it weakens international climate rules.

The talks proved difficult because of divisions between rich and poor countries over how to spread the burden of pledges to cut carbon emissions.
'Not perfect'

The BBC's Matt McGrath in Lima says none of the 194 countries attending the talks walked away with everything they wanted, but everybody got something.

Essentially, they've talked about talking about something that probably will result in jack shit.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 14, 2014, 08:13:08 AM
Oh, hang on, no they're not. So the myth that the nasty leftists, Marxist, Alankysiststss, thingies are steamrollering legislation through is pretty much still a  myth.

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30468048
Essentially, they've talked about talking about something that probably will result in jack shit.
That is some good news. It always amazes me how these bureaucrats and "environmental" activists need to jet around the world to have conferences. If they really cared about emissions and carbon-footprints they would tele-conference or do it online. But then you don't get the booze and buffets and airmiles I guess. And while I understand the Europeans, in particular, in their desire to curb growth in 3rd world nations to try to keep the EU economy in the game I don't think developing nations are going to buy into the Al Gore Jr's wild theories and would rather get richer and help their people. But, I'm guessing, if the UN could come up with some kickbacks there would be plenty of African warlords or dictators to sign on to a carbon plan. But getting China or India to make real changes if it effects their economy or growing power? Not going to happen.

DanTSX

It would be nice to at least pretend to compete with China.....

We can't do that if we regulate ourselves into a corner, and then look the other way while they poison the earth.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on December 14, 2014, 11:30:16 AM
That is some good news. It always amazes me how these bureaucrats and "environmental" activists need to jet around the world to have conferences. If they really cared about emissions and carbon-footprints they would tele-conference or do it online. But then you don't get the booze and buffets and airmiles I guess. And while I understand the Europeans, in particular, in their desire to curb growth in 3rd world nations to try to keep the EU economy in the game I don't think developing nations are going to buy into the Al Gore Jr's wild theories and would rather get richer and help their people. But, I'm guessing, if the UN could come up with some kickbacks there would be plenty of African warlords or dictators to sign on to a carbon plan. But getting China or India to make real changes if it effects their economy or growing power? Not going to happen.

Awww, bless you. Al Gore is an irrelevance, but you knew that. They can't agree when they're face to face, so what planet are you from that you think tele conferencing will work? But never mind, it takes the heat off the leftists/ Marxist/ Maoist/ liberals who have been orchestrating this meeting of minds that didn't. Presumably all the deniers will now apologise because their conspiracy theory of the world is in cahoots to push for more legislation to prevent more pollution is bollox.

SciFiAuthor

What's going to be really interesting is how the climate changers are going to take this apparent new era of really cheap oil. They've always wanted high oil prices to keep the poor people from traveling so much and belching carbon. Who could forget the scare tactics like "peak oil" that they surrounded the issue with in hopes of scaring everyone into accepting high oil prices. Yeah, peak oil, that one really panned out LOL.

What the politicians know about climate change that the leftwing public doesn't is that it isn't realistic to cut emissions anymore. We can cost our people huge amounts of money by cutting our own emissions in the west, but that's not going to change the outcome of ever increasing carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere. India and China will continue to produce an increasing amount of carbon dioxide that will continue to raise the net PPM of the atmosphere no matter what we do in North America and Europe. They will not sacrifice their growth and increasing standard of living to halt climate change, which seems to never pan out as far as the catastrophic predictions go. Cutting emissions is an insurmountable problem that is not within the control of the Western World.

And that's why they give lip service like this, as opposed to more meaningful past attempts like the Kyoto accords (which, incidentally, exempted the very developing nations that are the bulk of the problem today.) It just no longer matters what we do.

The solution to climate change, should it even end up being a problem at all, will be technological. It won't be social. And the sooner the left figures this out the better, so we don't have to deal with their pain in the ass regulations and climate change preaching.

WildCard

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 14, 2014, 04:42:06 PM
What's going to be really interesting is how the climate changers are going to take this apparent new era of really cheap oil.
I'm just trying to buy as much as I can while it's cheap. Every container, trash-can, and pot I can find is full of gas, Shit, I got gatorade bottles full of gas.

I should stop smoking.

b_dubb

Quote from: albrecht on December 14, 2014, 11:30:16 AMIf they really cared about emissions and carbon-footprints they would tele-conference or do it online.
Fuck yes.  When you're right you're very fucking right.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 14, 2014, 01:26:11 PM

Awww, bless you. Al Gore is an irrelevance, but you knew that. They can't agree when they're face to face, so what planet are you from that you think tele conferencing will work? But never mind, it takes the heat off the leftists/ Marxist/ Maoist/ liberals who have been orchestrating this meeting of minds that didn't. Presumably all the deniers will now apologise because their conspiracy theory of the world is in cahoots to push for more legislation to prevent more pollution is bollox.
There is nothing wrong with curbing pollution but the best way is by individual action and individual country action. Nobody wants to live in a polluted place or world. One of the easiest ways, but harder, if for people to stop buying cheap Chinese products and keep their smart phones and vehicles longer instead of getting the latest and greatest right away. But CO2 is not pollution and the focus on what plants need to exist takes away efforts to fight REAL pollution (nuclear waste, heavy metals, run-off into rivers, crap dumped into the ocean, oil spills, wildfires, etc.) that is a very real problem.
But on the whole I'm glad these bureaucrats and activists got their booze, trip, and buffets but didn't enact any real "change."

Zoo

LOL the world is fine and it will be fine when are dumbasses are gone. Save the planet my ass; should be save the human. Just like most things nobody cares about anything until they become affected by whatever it may be. So I say we just get it over with and nuke our problems away. Because when it all comes down to it you will never get enough people to care to change anything!!1

Quote from: Zoo on December 14, 2014, 11:31:32 PM
LOL the world is fine and it will be fine when are dumbasses are gone...

I used to think that.  Turns out the dumbasses are never gone.  Well, some of them are, but there are always more to take their place.  Look at Barry O, coming out of nowhere.

The climate scare isn't over here in Calif, it's just warming up - so to speak.

Our POS governor is searching for his 'legacy'.  Turns out it's a 'high speed' train to nowhere.  A boondoggle that is supposed to cost $65 billion that we don't have.  All govt projects end up costing considerably more of course.  It was sold to the voters (who had to approve the bonds) as only costing $33B, so before a shovel hit the ground the cost doubled.  No doubt it will double again.

Unless we can get it stopped, this is to be paid for in part by a climate change tax, starting in January.  How convenient for the gov that climate 'disruption' is right around the corner. 

http://cafuelfacts.com/cap-and-trade-for-fuels/

Now to figure out a way to pay for his next grand idea - 2 massive tunnels to ship Northern California's water to Southern California.  Perhaps there is a Climate Disruption II-type hoax fresh for the plucking in the near future.

Yes, the state is so much better off now that the D's are in charge

albrecht

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 15, 2014, 12:26:43 AM
I used to think that.  Turns out the dumbasses are never gone.  Well, some of them are, but there are always more to take their place.  Look at Barry O, coming out of nowhere.

Our POS governor is searching for his 'legacy'.  Turns out it's a 'high speed' train to nowhere.  A boondoggle that is supposed to cost $65 billion that we don't have.  All govt projects end up costing considerably more of course.  It was sold to the voters (who had to approve the bonds) as only costing $33B, so before a shovel hit the ground the cost doubled.  No doubt it will double again.

Unless we can get it stopped, this is to be paid for in part by a climate change tax, starting in January.  How convenient for the gov that climate 'disruption' is right around the corner. 

Now to figure out a way to pay for his next grand idea - 2 massive tunnels to ship Northern California's water to Southern California.  Perhaps there is a Climate Disruption II-type hoax fresh for the plucking in the near future.

Here in my FEMA Region the voters in Austin, the Madison of Texas, actually voted down a bond issue for another "Lightrail to Nowhere"- even though it was linked, supposedly, with some spending for roads and most the marketing and ads kept talking about traffic and road improvements (weird that a city and groups associated with the building can spend to advertise on a bond issue.) The key was we eliminated "at large" voting and so voters turned out since we now got to elect more local representatives elected from our areas in the city. So the key core voters and politicos- who can't find a boondoggle, diversity plan (no "gender" bathrooms etc), environmental plan, a huge new library for the homeless (since most buy their books on Amazon or use E-Books), or any spending or bond issues they don't like- lost. Of course, it isn't over. They will put it up again, I'm sure. Because light-rails that nobody uses are big money makers (for the entity running them) and long-term jobs and maintenance costs and the purpose of government is to get bigger and give money to their donors.

b_dubb

Quote from: Bill HicksHitler had the right idea! he was just an underachiever! Kill 'em all, Adolf! All of 'em! Jew, Mexican, American, White, kill 'em all! Start over! The experiment didn't work! Rain 40 days, please fucking rain to wash these turds off my fucking life! Wash these human wastes of flesh and bone off this planet! I pray to you, God, to kill these fucking people!

He also made himself available for children's parties. What a guy.

Gd5150

The only way to stop climate change is catapolt the Earth into deep space where it's would become a frozen block of ice and thus the climate would stop changing. I don't see China getting on board with that. They're finally starting to make a profit with Amazon.

Gd5150

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 15, 2014, 12:26:43 AM

33billion haha!!! Bart costs 250mil per mile. The speed train is going to travel 500 miles. That's 125bil not including a tunnel through the grapevine that'll have to be 10s of miles. And Bart only goes 60mph. The speed train has to go 200mph. And with that, it'll still take twice as long as flying. The speed train is the biggest joke outside of Obamacare. 100bil will be spent minimum before the project is canned and we have nothing but more debt.

CA is a lost cause owned and run by unions ie Democrats who thanks to gerrymandering redistricting have a permentant super majority in the legislature.

Quote from: Gd5150 on December 15, 2014, 01:11:59 AM
... CA is a lost cause owned and run by unions ie Democrats who thanks to gerrymandering redistricting have a permentant super majority in the legislature.

And more voters on the way from down south

NowhereInTime

Quote from: Gd5150 on December 15, 2014, 12:50:13 AM
The only way to stop climate change is catapolt the Earth into deep space where it's would become a frozen block of ice and thus the climate would stop changing...

So, your plan to stop climate change is to basically stop everything. Conservatives.  So rational.

ksm32

They let you sit in a line of cars at any fast food drive through with all that wonderful stuff blowing out of your cars arse.   The average Tim Hortons drive through between 7-9 AM Monday through Friday is about 14 cars and trucks long.

Bart Ell

Quote from: ksm32 on December 17, 2014, 09:56:41 PM
Tim Hortons drive through between 7-9 AM Monday through Friday is about 14 cars and trucks long.

I cry for the children. Not because of the car stuff but because they have stupid parents wasting money on horrible Tim Hortons coffee and the rest of the crap they sell.