• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Antikythera

Started by albrecht, November 27, 2014, 12:05:03 PM

albrecht

http://io9.com/the-mysterious-antikythera-mechanism-is-more-ancient-th-1664080893
Ian had a good show on it and maybe it is time to revisit. But with Knapp or someone who can ask interesting questions and not go on personal, unrelated tangents. It is an interesting device and even just the story of discovery, recovery, and the on-going archeological dives at the site etc is pretty cool. The device itself is fascinating.

paladin1991

I forget.  Does it have any moving parts?  Or is it just a paperweight?

b_dubb

It's an analog computer.  So yes.  Much like a watch has moving parts.  And is also an example of an analog computer.

paladin1991

sorry dubby, I meant the question to ask, does it have moving parts currently?  Or is it all froze up fm 2000 yrs on the seabed?

b_dubb

The original is no longer functional but I think that a replica has been built and it is functional. 

paladin1991

And these questions come to mind, 'If an analog 'puter, what did it 'pute?  Numbers, Pythagareon equations?  Or is it a Greek abacus?'

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 28, 2014, 01:14:02 PM
And these questions come to mind, 'If an analog 'puter, what did it 'pute?  Numbers, Pythagareon equations?  Or is it a Greek abacus?'

Eclipses and positions of celestial bodies, apparently.

albrecht

http://www.antikythera-mechanism.gr/faq
What is hilarious is that I'm sure some of the questions on the FAQ might have been caused by the press/speculation by stories on C2C about the device in years past (time-travel, aliens, etc.)

eddie dean

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 28, 2014, 01:14:02 PM

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 28, 2014, 01:20:23 PM

Much like the 'puters' of today, this ancient device's other, and  most annoying, function generated a viewable rendering of a reality star's giant naked posterior.  I think the 'star's' name was Kassandra Kardashain, Or so I'm told ;)
Ancient Greek Names:
KASSANDRA: Original Greek form of Latin Cassandra, meaning "she who entangles men." *

*with the power of her ass
http://monsaventinus.wikia.com/wiki/Ancient_Greek_Female_Names_%28Greek_Community%29

It's a safe bet this is the reason it was cast into the sea.  :P

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 28, 2014, 01:20:23 PM

The fact that there was a box with precise metal gears that could accurately predict the position of celestial events such as eclipses that was no bigger than a box of a cereal and was made what 2,000 years ago? Is absolutely proof to me that we know jack shite about how advanced the human race has been over the course of our existence. I am more and more starting to believe that we have started advanced civilizations (maybe not the internet etc. but who knows) and stopped numerous times.

albrecht

Quote from: Unquenchable Angst on December 03, 2014, 11:19:58 AM
http://www.gizmag.com/hublot-antikythera-mechanism-first-computer-watch/20517/

Hublot watch , on my lotto 'win' bucket list~~~~~
That is amazing! Thanks for posting. That watch is also on my post-lotto win buying list. Interesting article on the machine and history of it also. Amazing.

VtaGeezer

It was proposed at a C2C staff mtg but George vetoed any program about anyone else's auntie.

albrecht

Quote from: VtaGeezer on December 03, 2014, 12:24:09 PM
It was proposed at a C2C staff mtg but George vetoed any program about anyone else's auntie.
:) I just reckoned it was because it would be so hard for George to pronounce the name of the place and device (can you imagine how many times he would garble it?)- but you might be right also! He is such a joke.

pate

Quote from: VtaGeezer on December 03, 2014, 12:24:09 PM

I doubt Jorch's Executive Orders have any "Veto-Proof" power... the guy is weak