• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

History of Coast to Coast

Started by passionateprints, November 26, 2014, 02:47:18 AM

Hello!

I wanted to first of all say that this talk show is amazing! I absolutely LOVE it and listen to it whenever I have the chance. The problem is that I don't have a lot of time due to my work schedule.

What I am looking for is this:

My parents, especially my father, is a HUGE fan of Noory, and as a gift for Christmas, I would love to get him a book on the history of it. However, all I seem to find are different topics.

Are there any books out there, preferably hardcover if any?

Thanks so much!

Our local historian Morgus is probably the best source of Coast to Coast History, but as far as  books  you can try

The Art of Talk by Art Bell

George has co-authored a number of books, including
Worker in the Light
Talking to the Dead
George Noory's Late Night Snacks

and apparently he has another couple in the works I haven't heard of:
UFOs for the 21st Century Mind (preface only)
Someone is Hiding Something:  What Happened to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370?

While George's name appears as a co-author, I doubt he has much to do with most of these books.  Worker in the Light or Talking to the Dead are probably your best bets for Noory books but I can't say from personal experience.

The Art of Talk would be best to understand the history of Coast (again, can't make a personal recommendation).  Truthfully, I'm not sure how much he talks about the show in there and anything it would have would be from before Noory came on the scene.

Alternatively, there's always George's Christmas CD.

Quote from: passionateprints on November 26, 2014, 02:47:18 AM
... My parents, especially my father, is a HUGE fan of Noory, and as a gift for Christmas, I would love to get him a book on the history of it...

I suggest printing out the entire George Noory Sucks thread, having it bound, and giving him that.

jazmunda

Since he is such a huge fan off Noory I would suggest a visit to the emergency room, followed by a visit to a psych ward for electro-shock therapy, followed by a lobotomy. :P ;)

Pray to goatse that the condition is not hereditary.

zeebo

Quote from: Paper*Boy on November 26, 2014, 03:54:52 AM
I suggest printing out the entire George Noory Sucks thread, having it bound, and giving him that.

And to really sweeten the presentation, print out a couple classic Eye Pad illustrations for the front/back covers.

cweb

Quote from: zeebo on November 26, 2014, 04:53:14 AM
And to really sweeten the presentation, print out a couple classic Eye Pad illustrations for the front/back covers.
Center color insert pages with selected Noory photoshops too, please!

wr250

lets do it, put it on amazon and put the 10's of dollars in MV's pocket.

DanTSX

Get him Noory's cook book....

I hope he likes butter.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 26, 2014, 02:55:01 AM
Our local historian Morgus is probably the best source of Coast to Coast History, but as far as  books  you can try

The Art of Talk by Art Bell

George has co-authored a number of books, including
Worker in the Light
Talking to the Dead
George Noory's Late Night Snacks

and apparently he has another couple in the works I haven't heard of:
UFOs for the 21st Century Mind (preface only)
Someone is Hiding Something:  What Happened to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370?

While George's name appears as a co-author, I doubt he has much to do with most of these books.  Worker in the Light or Talking to the Dead are probably your best bets for Noory books but I can't say from personal experience.

The Art of Talk would be best to understand the history of Coast (again, can't make a personal recommendation).  Truthfully, I'm not sure how much he talks about the show in there and anything it would have would be from before Noory came on the scene.

Alternatively, there's always George's Christmas CD.

"UFOs for the 21st Century Mind" is by UFO historian Richard Dolan and has been out for several months.  Noory's only contribution was the book's foreward, yet he still got his name on the cover.

Wasn't aware of the Flight 370 book, but turns out it's being written by actor/comedian and hardcore conspiracy theorist Richard Belzer, along with his co-author (David Wayne) from other similar books and Noory.  Having heard Belzer on with Noory in the past, this book should be a hoot.

Heather Wade

"This one gets a ding."

Ladies & Bellgabbers, we have a winner.

Bart Ell

My parents, especially my father, is a HUGE fan of Noory, and as a gift for Christmas, I would love to get him a book

You are welcome.

zeebo

Quote from: cweb on November 26, 2014, 07:34:00 AM
Center color insert pages with selected Noory photoshops too, please!

I'm really starting to want one of these myself.

Bart Ell

Physician assisted?
Kinda takes all the fun out of it, no?

Gd5150

Perhaps a puter mug, hand engraved with one of the many beautiful works of haiku that have graced the parchment scrolls of Belgab.
Quote from: aldousburbank on February 23, 2011, 05:14:27 PM
grafted branch, brown leaves
the root of all evil grows
mustache stained tree, dead

zeebo

Quote from: Gd5150 on November 26, 2014, 09:34:05 PM
Perhaps a puter mug, hand engraved with one of the many beautiful works of haiku that have graced the parchment scrolls of Belgab.

Good suggestion.   Or maybe a special collector's edition appendix, with Haikus Selected by Aldous, written in the finest calligraphy on gold-leafed pages.

Gd5150

Quote from: zeebo on November 26, 2014, 09:49:24 PM
Good suggestion.   Or maybe a special collector's edition appendix, with Haikus Selected by Aldous, written in the finest calligraphy on gold-leafed pages.

A fine suggestion indeed. For a gift worthy of such a grand occasion, one must select only from the best Haikus found deep within the catacombs of the Bellgab basement libraries. A location perfect for the preservation of the moldering papyrus scrolls which have contained the masterworks for many lightyears.

yoego

Art could autograph them, they'd sell like rotten potatoes!

DanTSX

Quote from: Bart Ell on November 26, 2014, 09:27:43 PM
Physician assisted?
Kinda takes all the fun out of it, no?

Not if you're the Physician.....

DanTSX

Quote from: zeebo on November 26, 2014, 09:49:24 PM

I'm down for an Illuminated edition of Aldous's selected thoughts next to GNS postings.

It would become a family heirloom.

TheSheriff

Hello!

I wanted to first of all say that this talk show is amazing! I absolutely LOVE it and listen to it whenever I have the chance. The problem is that I don't have a lot of time due to my work schedule.

What I am looking for is this:

My parents, especially my father, is a HUGE fan of Noory,

Your not fooling anyone George....

paladin1991

A history of Coast?  Hmmm, ART started something good.  PremRatRadio slowly jerked it off into a spent shell to litter the latenight roadways of talk radio.

zeebo

Quote from: DanTSX on November 27, 2014, 11:31:59 PM

I'm down for an Illuminated edition of Aldous's selected thoughts next to GNS postings.

It would become a family heirloom.

I think we've got it:  GNS Sucks, The Official Aldous-Annotated Collector's Edition, Complete with Selected Gold-Leaf-Embossed Calligraphy Haikus, Full Color Noory Photoshops, PaperBoy Eye Pad Limited Lithographs, and a Custom Bronzed Pizza Roll Stand to cradle your new family heirloom.

bigchucka

Quote from: zeebo on November 28, 2014, 08:38:44 PM
I think we've got it:  GNS Sucks, The Official Aldous-Annotated Collector's Edition, Complete with Selected Gold-Leaf-Embossed Calligraphy Haikus, Full Color Noory Photoshops, PaperBoy Eye Pad Limited Lithographs, and a Custom Bronzed Pizza Roll Stand to cradle your new family heirloom.

For the radio commercial, do one similar to the Franklin Mint "Founding Fathers" "collectible coin" radio commercial I keep hearing all the time... does it come with a magnifying glass and a pair of gloves?

cweb

So, um... caller, have we answered your question?

Marc.Knight

Wow, listened to a full four-hour show hosted by Knapp the other day... he's as close as you can get to the level of Art Bell on radio today.  He makes Noory look like... George Noory.

3OctaveFart

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/01/the-listener/307840/

QuoteEvery night, when most of the world has drifted into unconsciousness, some 30 percent of the American population stays awake. They’re truckers, insomniacs, night-shift workers, or just people who like to stay up late. They tend to adhere to a different set of norms. For one thing, in an age of digital distraction, they connect with enthusiasm to a decidedly analog device: they listen to the radio for longer periods, with greater attention, and with greater loyalty than do audiences at any other time of the day. They tend to listen aloneâ€"alone in bed, alone on a highway, alone in the worldâ€"and find that a voice in the darkness offers a bond with a wider community. Perhaps you’re one of them. Or perhaps, if you’ve ever driven across country in the dark, or flipped on the radio because you couldn’t sleep, you know the feeling.

You might also have caught a glimpse into one of the odder realms of modern media. Lately, night people listen, in huge numbers, to a syndicated program called Coast to Coast AM with George Noory. It’s by far the most popular overnight show in the country. And it’s probably the most successful program of its kind ever aired. But just what kind of program it is, no one can quite say. Its topical breadth alone defies categorization: aliens, time travel, 9/11 conspiracies, suspicious murders, vampires, mediated telepathy, birds of unusual size. Shadow People seem to show up a lot. Every evening, Coast to Coast offers a running commentary on what keeps people awake, in fear or fascination, through what Keats called the “unslumbrous night.”

WOTR

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 28, 2014, 01:04:05 PM
A history of Coast?  Hmmm, ART started something good.  PremRatRadio slowly jerked it off into a spent shell to litter the latenight roadways of talk radio.
I laughed for 5 minutes at the OP knowing what was to come before scrolling down.  This thread has the makings of comedy gold.

I would suggest that you take the above short, to the point, accurate quote, and print it out.  Glue the sheet to the lining of a leather jacket, cut out the apropriate shape and size from the leather jacket to resemble a book then fold it in two over the sheet of paper.  Write the authors name on the outside (Paladin will have you arrested for copyright infringement otherwise) and present it to your parents.

The fact that they enjoy Noory tells me that they suffer from advanced Alzheimer's (how else could you not remember just how much the last show sucked and that they all sound alike with the same generic questions?)  With that diagnosis certain, it is not too late to give your parents the Christmas present of their dreams in the form of this book.  Simply decorate the house again and pretend that Santa came last night- if they believe that Noory is a great host, they will believe that Santa left the book even if it is mid-August. 

It is also short, to the point, and you can read them the entire text from the book "the authorized history of Coast to Coast AM" every time you visit them in the home.  Also, my sincere sympathies.  It is hard to care for those who have lost that much to dementia and Alzheimer's...

paladin1991

Thank you Wotr1.  It is what I do.  And now, you must excuse me.  My work here is done. 

Carry on, until that time when we should thread again.