• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Grand Jury decision in "Gentle Giant" or "Thug" police killing made.

Started by albrecht, November 24, 2014, 03:54:13 PM

albrecht

But they are waiting until nighttime to announce it? Why the delay? Wouldn't it being at night mean more opportunity for protesting people around (after school and work, presuming that at least some of the protestors have jobs or attend classes), more drinking or drugs, and more opportunity to hide in shadows etc? Or do the police figure at night there will be less legitimate people milling about and most businesses and schools will be closed and less vehicular traffic?

Quote from: albrecht on November 24, 2014, 03:54:13 PM
Or do the police figure at night there will be less legitimate people milling about and most businesses and schools will be closed and less vehicular traffic?

You don't have to be politically correct. You can come right out and call me a bastard. I'm used to it.  ;)

Eddie Coyle

My suggestion of waiting until a snowstorm to make the announcement, and then having a big snowball fight instead of rioting has apparently been ignored.

I'm wondering about this too.  Early morning would seem like a better time to me.

eddie dean

I just heard the grand jury announcement will come at 9pm est tonight.
The timing is curious. Delaying the announcement leads me to believe there won't be any charges filed against the cop.
I'd suggest the authorities are using the extra time to gear up and plan for possible riots.
It's sad and unfortunate that people feel they need to engage in violent protests. If that happens, It will only lead to more death.

paladin1991

They are calling mutual aid.  Every swinging dick fm LE jurisdictions for a 50 mile radius will be salivating over the overtime that is going to come out of this.

paladin1991

Did they happen already?   I missed them  Gee whiz.  I never get to have any fun.

bateman

Delaying the announcement and all this "press conference before the press conference calling for calm" sounds like they're taking their time to get a massive police response ready.

paladin1991

Don't you know it.  I hope I'm wrong, but I fear that ferguson and other locales are going to burn tonight.

bateman

Yup. From Twitter:

Quotefucking media practically encouraging a riot. Not surprised if CNN hands out guns and knives while looking terribly concerned. #Ferguson

bateman

Barricades going up around the courthouse.

paladin1991

What's the nearest military base?

bateman

National Guard securing prosecutor's office. Gee, I wonder what the decision could be?

paladin1991

You know, if I were anywhere near Fergie, I would be making that last minute run to Inbred Jed's Booze and Bullet Emporium right about now.

Kelt

I think it's safe to say the Good Ol Boys have long known what the outcome was going to be, while the rest of us know in a 'strongly suspect' sort of a way.

Yeah, don't think I'd like to be in the vicinity of Ferguson for the next few days or weeks.

I think, were I black, I'd be getting somewhat fatigued by the seeming impunity with which law enforcement can shoot blacks dead.

paladin1991

Quote from: Kelt on November 24, 2014, 06:24:39 PM
I think it's safe to say the Good Ol Boys have long known what the outcome was going to be, while the rest of us know in a 'strongly suspect' sort of a way.

Yeah, don't think I'd like to be in the vicinity of Ferguson for the next few days or weeks.

I think, were I black, I'd be getting somewhat fatigued by the seeming impunity with which law enforcement can shoot blacks dead.
As a citizen, I'm pretty fucking tired of the impunity with which law enforskinment can shoot anyone.  And I used to do that job here in the projects of Lost Angeles.  Never smoked a single subject even there were more than a few who deserved it. 
But I was a Peace Officer, not Billy Badass who now wears a badge and, by God!, "everyone will give me the respect I deserve or it's their ass.  I'll show  them that they can't fuck with me anymore!  Laugh at my beady eyes.  We'll see who laughs now!" 

Sorry, didn't mean to rant.

I live about twenty miles south of Ferguson and am not certain how this is going to affect life in Saint louis

eddie dean

I'm watching the live feed of the growing number of protesters gathering around the city. I've seen several people wearing guy fawkes masks or otherwise obscuring their faces.
Not a good sign.
Who knows, maybe they are just shy or cold or something. :-\

albrecht

Quote from: paladin1991 on November 24, 2014, 06:33:10 PM
As a citizen, I'm pretty fucking tired of the impunity with which law enforskinment can shoot anyone.  And I used to do that job here in the projects of Lost Angeles.  Never smoked a single subject even there were more than a few who deserved it. 
But I was a Peace Officer, not Billy Badass who now wears a badge and, by God!, "everyone will give me the respect I deserve or it's their ass.  I'll show  them that they can't fuck with me anymore!  Laugh at my beady eyes.  We'll see who laughs now!" 

Sorry, didn't mean to rant.
In this case I don't think the "gentle giant" was really such. Don't fight with cops. Having said that you are 100% correct. Even the simple thing like the changing of uniforms and colors (not to mention the firepower) changes the dynamic instantly. Every agency it seems, except (so far), our state troopers and TX Rangers dress like they are ready to go raid Osama's compound in Pakistan. At it seems the "quality" of the recruit seems to be going downwards. Even in a basic event (like a ticket) or passing on the street the initial countenance of the police officer is hostile. If you go looking for a fight, eventually you will find one. The Us vs Them mentality is not a good thing for a police force and especially so as the damage caused by diversity exacerbates it to a higher level and it starts to take on racial or ethnic terms.

Just today I actually wanted to ask a cop a question (happened to see one walking to his car in the parking lot) with regard to paperwork (who to call to get police report on an accident from an uninsured, likely illegal) and took one look at him and decided I'd just call the ladies at the office.

And this is coming from a relatively rich, no longer young, white person, living in a semi-rural area. I can't imagine if I was a black raised on thug rap music and living in a poor area when the cops come cruising around looking to make collars or bust heads.

Heather Wade

Quote from: TurningDownMyRadio on November 24, 2014, 06:35:43 PM
I live about twenty miles south of Ferguson and am not certain how this is going to affect life in Saint louis

Watch your 6, mang.

Kelt

Oddly enough, unlike natural born Americans, I had to swear an oath to protect America from enemies both domestic and foreign.

If I were in Ferguson I'd be duty-bound to pick a side and stick with it.  You natural born sorts don't have to do shit, legally.

I'd be hard pressed to side with the authorities in this instance.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 24, 2014, 04:32:00 PM
      My suggestion of waiting until a snowstorm to make the announcement, and then having a big snowball fight instead of rioting has apparently been ignored.

Not by this dude, dude.  Smartest shit thunk all month.