• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Stephen King Pages

Started by Camazotz Automat, November 19, 2014, 09:14:04 PM

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 22, 2014, 02:10:09 PM

I once took a whore to culture; Ten minutes in a gallery. Seriously.

If you have to get your kicks by degrading women that way, you are one sick puppy.  Did you also forcibly subject her to one of your dry, pedantic lectures on art history until she begged for mercy, you fiend?  You probably didn't even have the decency to give her the option of using a safe word. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 22, 2014, 03:14:21 PM
If you have to get your kicks by degrading women that way, you are one sick puppy.  Did you also forcibly subject her to one of your dry, pedantic lectures on art history until she begged for mercy, you fiend?  You probably didn't even have the decency to give her the option of using a safe word.

She didn't want a safe word. She trusted me to ease up on the yogurt and flogger before it got too much..The yogurt flew off in all directions and ruined priceless works of art by Rodin, Ruben and Picasso, and we were thrown out.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 22, 2014, 03:19:45 PM

She didn't want a safe word. She trusted me to ease up on the yogurt and flogger before it got too much..The yogurt flew off in all directions and ruined priceless works of art by Rodin, Ruben and Picasso, and we were thrown out.

Ruben?   ???

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 22, 2014, 04:48:19 AM
I daresay, ~yoego~, this Horta script shan't separate these phalanges anytime soon, but I will proceed with caution.

Say 'hello' to your buddy for me the next time you're flying through Moab.

He owes me a drink for ultimately losing that "strike the rock with no consequences" bet.  ;)

At this point, any jury would have no choice but to issue a verdict of "guilty" as timelined.

Bless the unemployed, for they shall inherit the 1112-0100-6534-5555-2105.

I haven't worked out your syntax, but that's 0100-6557-1112-6337-5424-3424-1112!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 22, 2014, 04:09:12 PM
I didn't read to the end of his name.

Good thing you didn't damage anything by Rodan, because he goes berserk when that happens and takes out his rage on Tokyo. 

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 22, 2014, 04:39:11 PM
I haven't worked out your syntax, but that's 0100-6557-1112-6337-5424-3424-1112!

2105 - 0100
2105 - 0100
2105 - 0100
2105 - 0100!

(be thankful GFP and I are not communicating in binary code ... it would be so much hen scratching through which to suffer)

Quote from: eddie dean on November 22, 2014, 02:11:11 PM
11/22/63 is a great read! It's one of King's best efforts in many years.

Three very well read lady friends ( whom, combined, read  ~almost~ as much as Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost alone reads )  speak highly of 11/22/63

Their comments were partially responsible for my reexamining King and laying out plans to catch up on any of his books I had not read.

I'm still polishing off Just After Sunset. Next in line is Joe Hill's Horns, and then King's 11/22/63 gets its day in the sun with the convertible's hard top off.

[attachimg=1]

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 22, 2014, 05:38:33 PM

Three very well read lady friends ( whom, combined, read  ~almost~ as much as Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost alone reads )  speak highly of 11/22/63

That's only because I'm probably ~almost~ three times older than any of your lady friends in this time line. 

And I applaud your bold decision to recklessly throw caution to the winds and shatter convention by visualizing the potential of tildes to be more than mere diacriticals and daring to use them as punctuation!   :D

zeebo

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 22, 2014, 05:38:33 PM
...(be thankful GFP and I are not communicating in binary code ... it would be so much hen scratching through which to suffer)

For some reason I'm reminded of a Futurama where Bender is dreaming in binary.  He freaks out when he thought he saw a "2".

Quote from: zeebo on November 23, 2014, 04:06:11 AM
For some reason I'm reminded of a Futurama where Bender is dreaming in binary.  He freaks out when he thought he saw a "2".

Everyone knows there's no such thing as two.

I miss Futurama.  I saw the The Simpsons' Simpsorama mash-up episode and it just made me miss it more.  It feeds the inner nerd on so many levels. I keep looking for an announcement that the show has been been picked up by fill in the blank but I've heard no rumors.

Sometimes (late at night) I find myself slipping into a hypnagogic state, and can see and hear Calculon reading/performing versions of horror stories by R. W. Chambers, H.P. Lovecraft, Poe, & Guy de Maupassant.

Such gnostic visions often end with the inexplicable appearance of Gurdjieff applying an electric can opener to the metal thespian in the name of "illumination."

The horror.  The horror.

WOTR

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 22, 2014, 03:46:48 PM
Ruben?   ???
Swiss artist who dropped the "E" as he claimed two of the same vowels in his name was pretentious.  One hell of an alcoholic- rumour is that he favoured rye.  His chosen medium was sauerkraut. 

He was active around the time that Jana Starbak produced her greatest work and sold it to the national gallery in Ottawa. "Vanitas: meat dress for an albino anorectic"

Quote from: wotr1 on November 23, 2014, 09:25:06 AM
Swiss artist who dropped the "E" as he claimed two of the same vowels in his name was pretentious.  One hell of an alcoholic- rumour is that he favoured rye.  His chosen medium was sauerkraut. 

He was active around the time that Jana Starbak produced her greatest work and sold it to the national gallery in Ottawa. "Vanitas: meat dress for an albino anorectic"

;D

yoego

QuoteCamatotz: Say 'hello' to your buddy for me the next time you're flying through Moab.

He owes me a drink for ultimately losing that "strike the rock with no consequences" bet.  ;)
I've been banned from altitude in Utah and I can't find a mountainous strip of land in Jordan. Looks like crackerbox city. These developers! The land lies alongside much of the eastern shore of the Dead Sea, and I can't see it. Moses stopped taking my calls. I know why, something about a flaming bush keeping him busy. I'll cover his marker though, drinks are on me... el hefe Automat.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 23, 2014, 06:48:00 AM

Sometimes (late at night) I find myself slipping into a hypnagogic state, and can see and hear Calculon reading/performing versions of horror stories by R. W. Chambers, H.P. Lovecraft, Poe, & Guy de Maupassant.

Such gnostic visions often end with the inexplicable appearance of Gurdjieff applying an electric can opener to the metal thespian in the name of "illumination."

The horror.  The horror.

Cam, I have a feeling you might enjoy this entertaining retro pop culture site I stumbled across and wound up spending about three hours at this afternoon.  Lots of fun stuff here!

dochermes.livejournal.com/

Began reading Horns by Joe Hill.  It's most likely a trick of perception, but he does remind me of a young Stephen King. Tale telling could be in the DNA.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 23, 2014, 05:27:20 PM
Cam, I have a feeling you might enjoy this entertaining retro pop culture site I stumbled across and wound up spending about three hours at this afternoon.  Lots of fun stuff here!

dochermes.livejournal.com/

Thanks for the recommendation. I will for sure investigate.

So much data. So little time. Heh.

There is a special place in hell for the programmers who created reCAPTCHA and for website designers that use the service. 

For those patient enough to enter the contest:

http://stephenking.com/promo/revival/holiday-sweepstakes/

I've got fifty bucks against the Dallas Cowboys in tonight's game. If I lose the bet, and given the sour mood the reCAPTCHA fiasco has placed me in, I will, quite possibly, kill someone.

"At StephenKing.com we believe it’s best to give AND receive. So enter the Revival Holiday Sweepstakes and capture the true essence of the season. Of the entries, 20 people will be chosen at random to receive a hardcover and an audiobook edition of Revival â€" one to keep and one to give to a loved one. Plus! One lucky winner will receive their hardcover copy of Revival signed by Stephen. The Revival Holiday Sweepstakes runs Monday, December 8th at 9am EST through Monday, December 22nd at 8:59:59am EST, and is open to residents of the United States.

Happy holidays, and good luck!"

from stephenking.com:

James Franco to Star in 11/22/63

James Franco is returning to his TV roots with a starring role in the 9-episode Hulu Original Series 11/22/63, from J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions and Stephen King.

The thriller, based on the best-selling 2011 novel written by King, is described as an event series, but the streaming service is open to additional seasons, possibly focused on other historic events. Adapted for television by Bridget Carpenter (The Red Road), 11/22/63 centers on Jake Epping (Franco), an unassuming divorced English teacher who stumbles upon a time portal that leads to 9/9/1958 and goes on a quest to try and prevent the assassination of John F. Kennedy, which occurred on November 22, 1963. But his mission is threatened by Lee Harvey Oswald, his falling in love and the past itself ... which doesn’t want to be changed.

and:

Reader Announced for Finders Keepers Audiobook

We're excited to announce that award-winning narrator Will Patton will be back to narrate the audiobook edition of FINDERS KEEPERS. Will has been nominated for an Audie Award in the Solo Narration â€" Male category for his work both on MR. MERCEDES and DOCTOR SLEEP.

Drunken Fireworks Reader Announced

In audiobook news, Drunken Fireworks will be read by celebrated Maine humorist and former CBS Sunday Morning correspondent, Tim Sample. Drunken Fireworks will be available exclusively as an audiobook on June 30th and follows the story of a salt-of-the-earth Maine native who recounts how a friendly annual summer fireworks rivalry with his neighbor gradually spirals out of control… with explosive results!

Final cover art for King's The Bazaar of Bad Dreams was revealed today.

Book publication date is November 3, 2015.

http://stephenking.com/promo/bazaar-of-bad-dreams/cover-reveal/cover-reveal-1.html

From the Stephen King website, a description of Finders Keepers which was released on June 2.

"A masterful, intensely suspenseful novel about a reader whose obsession with a reclusive writer goes far too far - a book about the power of storytelling from a master storyteller. Starring the same trio of unlikely and winning heroes Stephen introduced in Mr. Mercedes, winner of the 2015 Edgar Award for Best Novel.

"WAKE UP GENIUS.

"So begins Stephen’s megasuspenseful story about a vengeful reader. The genius is John Rothstein, an iconic author who created a famous character, Jimmy Gold, but who hasn’t published a book for decades. Morris Bellamy is livid, not just because Rothstein has stopped providing books, but because the nonconformist Jimmy Gold has sold out for a career in advertising. Morris kills Rothstein and empties his safe of cash, yes, but the real treasure is a trove of notebooks containing at least one more Gold novel.

"Morris hides the money and the notebooks, and then he is locked away for another crime. Decades later, a boy named Pete Saubers finds the treasure, and now it is Pete and his family that Bill Hodges, Holly Gibney, and Jerome Robinson must rescue from the ever-more deranged and violent Morris when he’s released from prison after thirty-five years.

"Not since Misery has Stephen played with the notion of a reader whose obsession with a writer gets dangerous. Finders Keepers is spectacular, heart-pounding suspense, but it is also Stephen writing about how literature shapes a lifeâ€"for good, for bad, forever."

Aussie Dave

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 22, 2015, 04:42:33 PM
Final cover art for King's The Bazaar of Bad Dreams was revealed today.

Book publication date is November 3, 2015.

http://stephenking.com/promo/bazaar-of-bad-dreams/cover-reveal/cover-reveal-1.html

I can't wait for the release of this book. I hope it is released in Australia around the same time.

Quote from: Aussie Dave on June 06, 2015, 11:26:21 PM
I can't wait for the release of this book. I hope it is released in Australia around the same time.

I love his short stories and novellas as much as his long fiction.